• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next Year 5A West

Started by AT, March 28, 2014, 11:38:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

I know that everyone leaves this board after the state finals...and I know I'm a fan of a 6A school next year, but I thought this topic would make interesting discussion for the next 8 months.

Sorry for the long post, but hey you have 8 months to read it.

So the teams that leave the conference are Alma, Huntsville, and Shiloh Christian.

The teams that take their place are Farmington, Little Rock Christian, and Maumelle.

You would think that losing the state runner up would only make your conference weaker in girls basketball, but then you add Farmington and LRC and it may actually get stronger.

Farmington beat Alma's girls pretty easily this year in non conference. They are traditionally a girls basketball powerhouse and were semifinalists in 4A this year. Little Rock Christian has had some very good teams recently and were quarterfinalists this year before losing by 6 to Vilonia. I don't know anything about Maumelle, but I don't think they are worse than Shiloh Christian.

So if you compared the three teams entering vs. the three teams leaving...

Farmington = Huntsville
Little Rock Christian > Alma
Maumelle >? Shiloh Christian.

Girls only gets stronger in my opinion.

Now for boys...

First the teams that leave:

Alma - A team that has won state titles and conference championships. They are always a threat in the state tournament to make a run.

Huntsville - A team that hasn't had the basketball prowess they are used to the past three years, but while they were back in 5A they still made a state semifinal and were a playoff team just last year. An up and down team who just didn't have the numbers for 5A. They will be contenders in 4A, though.

Shiloh Christian - Never a basketball powerhouse, they never found their footing in 5A basketball like they did in football. A competitive team who will also benefit from moving down.

Teams entering the conference:

Maumelle - A team whose numbers have shot up recently, so it's tough to tell how consistent they will be. They were regional champs in the 4A-North this year, but were upset by Nashville in their first game. I think they are a solid addition.

Farmington - Their boys basketball team doesn't carry the same weight as their girls, but it looks to be a program on the rise. Alma beat them out of conference home and away this year, but Farmington was young and competitive. I believe one of their best players was a freshmen. Once again, another solid addition.

Little Rock Christian - A team that has up and down years. They never seem to be a big threat for a state title or even a conference championship. They have the ability to beat any team on any given night and lose to any team on any given night it seems from their past stint in this conference.

My opinion is that this conference will probably get weaker, but it won't be as much as the additions and losses of teams as much as the fact that Clarksville loses a whole bunch of talent. Yet with Vilonia and Greenbrier becoming more competitive, maybe the conference does get stronger...

DogsWin7

Nice post as always Trackster. 

SNWA

looking forward to having you on the 6A board....it is kind of lame at times. Don't know if Perry is ready for the jump though.

leaglebb

FWIW, Huntsville is 11-3 against Farmington since 2006.  This doesn't equate to equal but I understand the point you're trying to make. 
They are a good program and very competitive and should be a good addition to the 5A West. 

leaglebb

Quote from: leaglebb on March 30, 2014, 10:40:27 pm
FWIW, Huntsville is 11-3 against Farmington since 2006.  This doesn't equate to equal but I understand the point you're trying to make. 
They are a good program and very competitive and should be a good addition to the 5A West.
Girls, that is.

Mr. Beautiful

Nice post as always Alma, you always put good thought in to your post. And I always love the detailed standings you post for the west. My team LRCA is moving into the West so Im sad to see Alma heading out. 1 because we don't get to visit Charles B Dyer arena this year and 2 you always kept the 5a west standings up to date.

Being a Warrior fan, I do think you are a little off on your post about them though.They have made a run at a few conference championships and made state playoffs 3 of the last 4 years and finished 2nd,2nd,8th,4th conference in each of those year. I think they should be a threat to make a run this year. LRCA should be better than Shiloh, they didnt make the playoffs in 5a and that was with Harris. Im giving LRCA the advantage over the saints on making the west a stronger conference. Ill be interested to see how the Warriors do this year.   

DEVIL DOG HOG

Morrilton's Head Coach, Trent Tipton, has resigned.  He will concentrate on being AD.

FreeMoney

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on April 26, 2014, 03:19:02 am
Morrilton's Head Coach, Trent Tipton, has resigned.  He will concentrate on being AD.
What are the feelings around Motown? Is this a good thing?

Cajun Hog

Farmington: Will have have 3 SR and 2 Soph as main players.  They will be deeper then they been the past 2 years, should be about 9 in rotation.

Farmington will open a new arena in January 2015 that will seat about 2,000 with 1,800 chair back seating.

This appears to to a loaded confernce.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: Cajun Hog on June 24, 2014, 10:05:23 pm
Farmington: Will have have 3 SR and 2 Soph as main players.  They will be deeper then they been the past 2 years, should be about 9 in rotation.

Farmington will open a new arena in January 2015 that will seat about 2,000 with 1,800 chair back seating.

But, not as loaded as it's been recently.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: ZoneBuster on June 26, 2014, 03:29:32 pm

How would you rank the teams 1-8?  Who down from past?

AT

I know you didn't ask me Cajun, but I'd still like to answer.

For boys:

Clarksville
- Loses 4 starters
- The 1 returning starter, Casey Benton, was a freshmen last season and could be the best player in the conference since Isaac McCoy
- Junior high teams didn't look spectacular last year
- They will be down, but Benton has talent to carry a team

Farmington
- Cajun already talked about them
- I know one of their best players was a freshmen last year
- Solid addition, should be better than last year

Greenbrier
- Lost their best player I believe in Tyler Simmons
- Simmons was one of the leading scorers in the conference
- Coach Simmons is a good coach and should have Greenbrier's on the rise
- Tough to say they will be better without Simmons and without knowing who their other returning starters are
- I think they will be about the same, maybe a little worse

Harrison
- Lost one of the best players in conference in Jordan Grant. Lost a good 3 point shooter and PG in Marseilles. Lost a good postman too, can't remember his name for the life of me
- Returns one of the best players in the conference, Silas Huskey. Also return the 2nd best freshmen in the conference last season in that big postmen, can't remember his name either. Big kid who can shoot the 3, though.
- Losing 3 big contributors and returning 2 guys who will only get better makes this depend on who steps up.
- I don't think they'll be noticeably worse or better.

Little Rock Christian
- Know nothing about them. They were competitive last year in a very good Central conference
- Usually good to pull an upset and fight for a playoff spot

Maumelle
- Don't know much about them other than they won their regional last year before being upset in the 1st round of the state tournament

Morrilton
- I think they lose 2 starters. One of them was that surprisingly athletic postman that was one of their best scorers.
- They return one of the best players in the conference in Juwan Calvin and return both the Swintons too.
- New coach. A lot of their success will depend on how Calvin develops. He has potential to carry a team a long ways with his ability to score outside and around the rim.
- I think they could be better, but Morrilton is always a question mark.

Vilonia
- Return all their big guys. And when I say big, these guys were very tall.
- Their new coach gave them an identity and were tough to beat last year. Just a few bounces away from making the state tournament.
- They do lose the Wilkins kid who was a good all around player, but return enough to fill in for him.
- I think they only get better.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Almatrackster on June 26, 2014, 11:33:33 pm

For boys:

Clarksville
- Loses 4 starters
- The 1 returning starter, Casey Benton, was a freshmen last season and could be the best player in the conference since Isaac McCoy

Farmington

Greenbrier
- Tough to say they will be better without Simmons and without knowing who their other returning starters are

Harrison
- Lost one of the best players in conference in Jordan Grant. Lost a good 3 point shooter and PG in Marseilles. Lost a good postman too, can't remember his name for the life of me
- Returns one of the best players in the conference, Silas Huskey. Also return the 2nd best freshmen in the conference last season in that big postmen, can't remember his name either. Big kid who can shoot the 3, though.
- Losing 3 big contributors and returning 2 guys who will only get better makes this depend on who steps up.

Little Rock Christian
- Know nothing about them. They were competitive last year in a very good Central conference

Maumelle
- Don't know much about them other than they won their regional last year before being upset in the 1st round of the state tournament

Morrilton
- I think they lose 2 starters. One of them was that surprisingly athletic postman that was one of their best scorers.
- They return one of the best players in the conference in Juwan Calvin and return both the Swintons too.
- New coach. A lot of their success will depend on how Calvin develops. He has potential to carry a team a long ways with his ability to score outside and around the rim.

Vilonia
- Their new coach gave them an identity and were tough to beat last year. Just a few bounces away from making the state tournament.
- They do lose the Wilkins kid who was a good all around player, but return enough to fill in for him.

Thanks for update very good info.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: Cajun Hog on June 26, 2014, 07:26:49 pm

Well the last 2 years for instance 3 of the top 5 teams came from the west. 2 years ago 3 of final 4 were in the league.

I don't think the teams coming in have the clout to make a semi run. I might be wrong though.

Cajun Hog

I have had a couple of people say the 5A west will have a lot of Sophomores starting and in key roles this year.  Is this accurate?   

Cajun Hog

Quote from: ZoneBuster on July 01, 2014, 02:41:49 pm
Quote from: Cajun Hog on June 26, 2014, 07:26:49 pm

Well the last 2 years for instance 3 of the top 5 teams came from the west. 2 years ago 3 of final 4 were in the league.

I don't think the teams coming in have the clout to make a semi run. I might be wrong though.

Maumelle will be in the hunt this year.

sevenof400

Quote from: Cajun Hog on November 17, 2014, 02:47:02 pm
Maumelle will be in the hunt this year.

I saw their freshman team last week at Vilonia - that bunch has some potential as they are very quick.  If their varsity plays a similar type of ball, a Clarksville - Maumelle matchup will be fun.   

Go Postal

There wasn't a thread for this tonight, so I posted it here...

5A Harrison Lady Goblins 51
7A Van Buren Lady Pointers 49

Final in OT.

VB lead 49-48 in the last seconds.  Harrison's Brisco gets the 3.  Good game.  Lady Pointers came back in 3rd qtr, lead as much as 4 points in second half.
Brisco - 23 points, 5 threes
Tate - 17 points, 1 three
Akers - 6
Clements - 3, 1 three
Didn't catch her name - 2

Go Postal

Quote from: Almatrackster on June 26, 2014, 11:33:33 pm

For boys:

Clarksville
- Loses 4 starters

Farmington

Greenbrier

Harrison

Little Rock Christian

Maumelle

Morrilton

Vilonia
trackster, I agree with what you said.  I believe it was Jenkins that replaced Doshier who replaced Colliver in the last three years.  It was Atwell that subbed in for Jenkins (when he got in to foul trouble).  I haven't had a chance to see Harrison this year yet, so I'm not sure if Atwell will be post, but he impressed me last season.  Losing Grant and Marseilles is not good, but I did see that there is another Marseilles (brother?) coming up.  Huskey can "float" to the goal and I also saw another Huskey (brother?) on the roster.  It should be a interesting season this year in the West with a very great Vtown, Maumelle/LRCA/Farmington coming to the West plus the other great teams of Clarksville, GB, Motown as usual.

Anyway, here is the roster for the Lady Goblins/Goblins that I saw in the local paper...
Members of the Lady Goblin basketball team this season are: Sydney Allgeier; Alicia Auman; Tiffany Brisco; Morgan Clemence; McKenzie Glenn; Maddie Wyatt; Karleigh Akers; Destiny Keister; Meredith Lindsey; Taylor Tate; Kerrie Brisco; and Briley Due.

Members of the Goblin basketball team are: Hunter Humphrey; Blake Braswell; Silas Huskey; Noah Elliott; Brock Humphrey; Logan Greer; Jonas Huskey; Trevor Atwell; Kenny Pillow; Reece Journagan; Dakota Gilley; Braeden Boren; Hunter Mays; Jackson Marseilles; Ronie Sebag; Logan Thomas; Jake Wynn; Tanner Curry; Toby Johnson; and Nathan Jenkins.

rammer

Over the Summer I saw a team with Trevor Atwell  of Harrison and Josh Ballard of Greenbrier playing together. Both are sophomores that I think are really going to be good.

Go Postal

GOB TV live right now at the Spook House...

Nixa, MO Eagles @ Harrison Golden Goblins

Nixa reminds me of Vilonia Eagles.  Players are 6'7", 6'6", 6'5" etc.

click on the link below if you want to watch.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/gobtvfootball

Go Postal

A few thoughts after watching the Golden Goblins first game against a great Nixa team (that Ruter kid was a amazing player)...

1.  Not sure why all of the Seniors didn't play this game, alot of JV played.
2.  Sloppy, with the 16 turnovers, plus not making shots and free throws. (see #1)
3.  Goblin athletes that were in the football, cross country, golf, tennis playoffs, and also plays this sport, need to get the rust off from those sports and focus on basketball.  (see #1 and 2)

Though my above posts sounds negative against the Goblins, it was not meant so.  It was more to motivate the Goblins and learn from your mistakes in this game against a #1 Missouri team (for their division).  I have faith in the Goblin Nation and know that you can once again play against adversity during the regular season.

side note to trackster as someone else that likes sports stats for a team:  I noticed on GOB TV that we have put up 16 banners in the gym on Harrison boys/girls Sports State Champs.  Kind of like Alma with their sportsmanship banners. ;)  I might have to make a signature with those 16 Harrison different State Champs banners.  But I have to admit that my eye did go to the 6 boys and 4 girls State Champs soccer banners.  Tied 1st in all boys/girls State conferences for that sport.  LOL!

Lizardo

LRCA looks to be a dangerous team any given weak. They have the players to compete.

Maumelle is talented and quick but the question remains as to whether all athletes see the court.

AT

So just looking at the scores so far this season...the 5A West looks like it's going to be crazy?

neds

LRCA is down this year in boys, Maumelle is good

Go Postal

December 29, 2014, 11:22:21 pm #25 Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:47:21 am by Go Postal
trackster, Harrison seems to be around 50/50 Wins/Losses so far at this point in the season against four 7A/6A, two 5A, five other State's teams so far.
6-5 season / 0-0 5A West conference / ?-? 5A playoffs
Total season accumulated PF/PA:  PF 706 / PA 696
Total season Wins PF/Losses PA:  Wins PF 61 / Losses PA 51

sevenof400

Come on, Steve - get to the important stuff.....how are the moms?

ahsalum

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 31, 2014, 07:44:50 pm
Come on,
Steve - get to the important stuff.....how are the moms?

I would tell you but the police seem to be out....

ahsalum

Geez...some people just don't like good humor. ..

DogsWin7

January 01, 2015, 12:27:15 pm #29 Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 12:33:35 pm by DiehardFBfan
Quote from: sevenof400 on December 31, 2014, 07:44:50 pm
Come on, Steve - get to the important stuff.....how are the moms?

Steve is in the church choir now.  ;)

Go Postal

January 01, 2015, 02:54:06 pm #30 Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:12:56 pm by Go Postal
trackster, Here is a Goblins update...
8-4 season / 0-0 5A West conference / ?-? 5A playoffs
Total season accumulated PF/PA:  PF 759 / PA 725
Total season differential Wins PF vs Losses PA:  Wins PF +83 / Losses PA -49

Steve, thanks for the text, went and saw it before they removed it.  Gave me a chuckle.  But seven's question still remains. ;)

DogsWin7

Please....everyone knows Steve has surveillance cameras in the Palace...he freeze frames the Hot Moms, autographs their pics and sends them with flowers.   He literally has 100's of followers at his will. 

Elvis Hoggoblin

Quote from: Go Postal on January 01, 2015, 02:54:06 pm
trackster, Here is a Goblins update...
8-5 season / 0-0 5A West conference / ?-? 5A playoffs
Total season accumulated PF/PA:  PF 818 / PA 794
Total season differential Wins PF vs Losses PA:  Wins PF 75 / Losses PA 51

Steve, thanks for the text, went and saw it before they removed it.  Gave me a chuckle.  But seven's question still remains. ;)

Correction...Goblins are 8-4........Preseason Benefit Game against Har-Ber does not count on record

Go Postal

Thanks, Elvis for the update.  Fixed it.  Also checked and corrected my math.

Go Postal

5A West and other 5A conferences remember that Alma has left us.  The possibilities are infinite...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas