• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

List of Walmarts to be closed in Arkansas

Started by bleudog, January 15, 2016, 11:45:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bleudog

Brian G

This hits my market in NWA.  Going to be a huge ripple effect.

Many town now w/o stores(other closed due to WMT) and some places will not have a pharmacy.

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on January 15, 2016, 01:11:30 pm
This hits my market in NWA.  Going to be a huge ripple effect.

Many town now w/o stores(other closed due to WMT) and some places will not have a pharmacy.

So, are these stores not located within 10 miles of another store?

Lions84

The Sorry dogs came into our two small towns ran the hometown grocery stores out of business , took tax breaks to come and now are bailing out leaving Godley and Grandview with 2 empty stores.

AirWarren

Maumelle neighborhood market. Beside a nice Kroger and then the huge Walmart down the road. No need for it.

WPWells

Charleston Wal-Mart opened exactly a year ago and is now closing. This sucks

Lineman

Corporate greed at its finest. I was informed about 8 this morning, it doesn't make much sense to me. It seemed to me the 5 stores around this area were doing quite well.

AirWarren

January 15, 2016, 02:36:12 pm #7 Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 02:38:32 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: Fred Bird on January 15, 2016, 02:02:10 pm
Charleston Wal-Mart opened exactly a year ago and is now closing. This sucks

That super center building will just be vacant now. How nice.

One thing about Warren Arkansas. Doesn't have a Walmart. Doesn't need a Walmart to make it.

AirWarren

Quote from: Lineman on January 15, 2016, 02:17:55 pm
Corporate greed at its finest. I was informed about 8 this morning, it doesn't make much sense to me. It seemed to me the 5 stores around this area were doing quite well.

No. The liberal agenda at its finest. Just had to have the minimum wage increases to a rate that a corporation will have trouble paying people for. And this is the result.

HorseFeathers

Makes you wonder what Dollar General knows that wal mart doesnt....the 9th one in the russellville area is due to open soon...

Lions84

Quote from: HF on January 15, 2016, 03:02:37 pm
Makes you wonder what Dollar General knows that wal mart doesnt....the 9th one in the russellville area is due to open soon...

Dollar General doing quite well and I heard they are expanding their grocery offering since Wal Mart are closing in some of the towns where they are already at.

Breitontime

DG opens on the outskirts of towns, and catches all the people who don't want to go to town.

ricepig

Quote from: HF on January 15, 2016, 03:02:37 pm

And the sq. ft of those 9 won't equal the Wal-Mart Supercenter in town, correct? Yet they'll have duplicate stuff in all of them. I own commercial real estate all over the state and there are a ton of DG's for sale with Cap rates over 8%. The problem is the all have less than 3 years left on their leases, most have less than 2, who wants to buy that?

AirWarren

Quote from: Breitontime on January 15, 2016, 03:21:30 pm
DG opens on the outskirts of towns, and catches all the people who don't want to go to town.

Yes sir. They are about to build one on highway 35 in bauxite. Going to do good business. They also have a nice one behind the neighborhood Walmart that is going to be shutting down in Maumelle.

fastdrop

E -commerce is growing by leaps and bounds. Buy from Wal-Mart on line and you still have to pay taxes since they have a store in your state plus they have the up keep of all the stores. And to think of it - what does Wal-mart carry on line that I would order that I could not get a better selection from somebody else. Wal-Mart's glory days are long gone.

Besides that I don't know a female that would rather shop at Wal-Mart over Target.

Interesting times we live in. I am ready to buy my groceries on line and have them delivered to my house to.

Makes my think about the future though. What are people going to do for jobs when computers and robots do all the work? This is coming faster than I thought it would. I am visiting a factory in China that let go most of its work force and is using robots to do alot of the work. Should be interesting for future generations.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: fastdrop on January 15, 2016, 06:30:44 pm
E -commerce is growing by leaps and bounds. Buy from Wal-Mart on line and you still have to pay taxes since they have a store in your state plus they have the up keep of all the stores. And to think of it - what does Wal-mart carry on line that I would order that I could not get a better selection from somebody else. Wal-Mart's glory days are long gone.

Besides that I don't know a female that would rather shop at Wal-Mart over Target.

Interesting times we live in. I am ready to buy my groceries on line and have them delivered to my house to.

Makes my think about the future though. What are people going to do for jobs when computers and robots do all the work? This is coming faster than I thought it would. I am visiting a factory in China that let go most of its work force and is using robots to do alot of the work. Should be interesting for future generations.

Target needs a store in Russellville...

Breitontime

January 15, 2016, 06:55:21 pm #16 Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:57:21 pm by Breitontime
I used to have my groceries delivered when I was in Florida. Cost an extra $10 to have them go pick them all up, and deliver them.

Wal-Mart has started an online grocery shopping deal. They'really waiting at check-out when you walk in the store.

E-commerce is where it's at these days. I shop local for some things, others are just way to cheap online. And, I don'the have to deal with idiots.

I bought a set of mc tires the other day. $450 from the Honda Shop in town. $189 delivered online, for the same exact tires.

ricepig

Sounds like you live in a rich neighborhood.......as far as ordering everything online, that's all well and good, unless there's a return, or problem. I had to order some medical type stuff for my Dad, looked it up on Amazon and ordered. Of course when it arrived, it was missing one of the three items. Did you know Amazon didn't have an 800 number? Anyway, it was straightened out and I got everything, but it took emails instead of phone calls, fine with me, but I doubt it will work for the elderly.

Wal-Mart will be here long after Target and Amazon are gone. The common person(poor) isn't going to shop online, unless the Dems give everyone a laptop and free internet.

AirWarren

Normal everyday stuff. Walmart or Kroger.

Car parts, tires, toys, gadgets, Christmas gifts. Online all day long.

sevenof400

...Besides that I don't know a female that would rather shop at Wal-Mart over Target...

I'd agree that used to be the case but Target's clothing line is not what it once was and Wal-Mart's clothing selections have improved.  To be fair though, we had a Target Greatland near us though and their selections were definitely better than the regular Target stores.

fastdrop

Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2016, 06:58:29 pm

Sounds like you live in a rich neighborhood.......as far as ordering everything online, that's all well and good, unless there's a return, or problem. I had to order some medical type stuff for my Dad, looked it up on Amazon and ordered. Of course when it arrived, it was missing one of the three items. Did you know Amazon didn't have an 800 number? Anyway, it was straightened out and I got everything, but it took emails instead of phone calls, fine with me, but I doubt it will work for the elderly.

Wal-Mart will be here long after Target and Amazon are gone. The common person(poor) isn't going to shop online, unless the Dems give everyone a laptop and free internet.
You are showing your age RP. Young folks common - uncommon- black-white-red and purple do everything by phone. They think nothing of buying things on line - the selection is huge - they can research it buy it - if they don't like it send it back. I guess if what you would consider a common person as someone that doesn't have a bank account(debit card) I would agree with you.

The glory days of Wal-Mart is gone. Not saying they will be out of business but there is no growth for them in putting up new stores etc. The stores they have now will continue to gradually lose market share.

Everything changes I remember Woolworth (1879-1997) and Montgomery Ward (1872-2001).

fastdrop

Quote from: AirWarren on January 15, 2016, 07:11:53 pm

Yep, and walmart is feeling this in a big way. Wait till food and everyday stuff is delivered to your house.

ricepig

Quote from: fastdrop on January 15, 2016, 07:46:07 pm

Yep, and walmart is feeling this in a big way. Wait till food and everyday stuff is delivered to your house.

You trust someone else to pick out your kumquats? I shop online for lots of stuff, but there's certain food and other perishables that are better evaluated in person. I don't think Johnny minimum wage is going to ordering or paying for delivery.

fastdrop

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 15, 2016, 07:22:03 pm
...Besides that I don't know a female that would rather shop at Wal-Mart over Target...

I'd agree that used to be the case but Target's clothing line is not what it once was and Wal-Mart's clothing selections have improved.  To be fair though, we had a Target Greatland near us though and their selections were definitely better than the regular Target stores.
Target has very little groceries compared to Walmart. I go into a Target and it is packed all through out the store. I go into Walmart and I would say 70% of its customers are in the food section. Just my opinion from my limited shop times in the Memphis area. My wife pushes me to go to Memphis to target to buy everyday things because she doesn't like Walmart anymore. Actually hates to go in one. I guess I have rubbed off on her.

fastdrop

Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2016, 07:50:49 pm

You trust someone else to pick out your kumquats? I shop online for lots of stuff, but there's certain food and other perishables that are better evaluated in person. I don't think Johnny minimum wage is going to ordering or paying for delivery.
Johnny minimum wages wife is though. Yep, Already happening and growing in cities like New York. One of these days it will get to us. Very soon - Kroger will let us order our food on line and all we will have to do is go to the store and pick it up. I am all in.

sevenof400

Since y'all have mentioned online shopping, what grocery items are you finding comfort and / or success with via online shopping?  Canned goods and boxed items would seem to be reasonably safe items to purchase online but what else? 

Also, what website(s) do you use for online shopping?

fastdrop

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 15, 2016, 08:01:48 pm
Since y'all have mentioned online shopping, what grocery items are you finding comfort and / or success with via online shopping?  Canned goods and boxed items would seem to be reasonably safe items to purchase online but what else? 

Also, what website(s) do you use for online shopping?
I don't know of any yet in this area. I have read where Kroger is lined up with a partner that is going to build a site where you can build your order and send it to your local Kroger and they will fill the order for you. You just go pick it up. That would be a start in the right direction for me. I dislike roaming grocery stores.

Breitontime

I used to get all of my groceries online. Steaks/pork/chicken from the butcher in Publix, vegetables, all of it.

fastdrop

Quote from: Breitontime on January 15, 2016, 08:11:16 pm
I used to get all of my groceries online. Steaks/pork/chicken from the butcher in Publix, vegetables, all of it.
We had Publix coming into Memphis a few years ago and some how Kroger kept it from happening. Publix is the bomb.

ricepig

Quote from: fastdrop on January 15, 2016, 07:59:12 pm
Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2016, 07:50:49 pm

Johnny minimum wages wife is though. Yep, Already happening and growing in cities like New York. One of these days it will get to us. Very soon - Kroger will let us order our food on line and all we will have to do is go to the store and pick it up. I am all in.

Well, they aren't at the Target in Jonesboro, it has decent foot traffic, but I don't see rural America ordering everything online, I guess we'll see. How's all those web startups that were delivering groceries in Silicon Valley doing? I don't see it for years, not in rural America.

sevenof400

Am I visualizing this incorrectly? I picture online shopping for me (in rural America) as buying non perishables online and having them shopped to my home.  Breit's description sounds more like urban America.

Like I said earlier, I think I'd consider canned goods, boxed items, spices, cleaning products, detergents, etc... as items I would seek for online purchase.  It sounds like some of you are purchasing perishables online.  Am I missing something here?

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 15, 2016, 08:31:46 pm
Am I visualizing this incorrectly? I picture online shopping for me (in rural America) as buying non perishables online and having them shopped to my home.  Breit's description sounds more like urban America.

Like I said earlier, I think I'd consider canned goods, boxed items, spices, cleaning products, detergents, etc... as items I would seek for online purchase.  It sounds like some of you are purchasing perishables online.  Am I missing something here?

Well, I'm sure you're like lots of us in that you've received fruit, maybe meat(steaks) from online sources. My experience on the oranges/grapefruits/apples is less than desirable, and these are high dollar companies. I'm not the produce shopper at our house, I can just imagine a $10/hr high school kid picking out my lettuce, tomatoes, grapes, etc....

Breitontime

No. In some areas, you can buy absolutely everything online.

I've been in a clothing store once in a few years, only because I waited until the last minute to buy a new blazer for NYE, and it was to late to have one shipped. Ran in to Dillards in LR. What a craphole that shopping center has become.

ricepig

Quote from: Breitontime on January 15, 2016, 08:53:48 pm
No. In some areas, you can buy absolutely everything online.

I've been in a clothing store once in a few years, only because I waited until the last minute to buy a new blazer for NYE, and it was to late to have one shipped. Ran in to Dillards in LR. What a craphole that shopping center has become.

I don't think anyone is questioning the ability to buy perishables online, they are questioning the quality vs the cost. Sure, people making $100,000+ have no problem  ordering from Whole Foods or something similar to order their groceries in SF, Chicago, or any other larger city, but how many people in Russellville, Conway, or Jonesboro will?

Breitontime

More than you think, I think. An extra $10 to have them delivered. That $10 would be worth skipping the hassle of women getting ready, taking a gaggle of kids to the grocery store.

There is a ton of people using the order online, and just pick it up grocery deal that Wal-Mart in Russellville is doing now.

fastdrop

I don't think only people that make 100 grand or over order pizza and have it delivered.

or People that go out and eat usually leave a tip of some kind - even poor old slobs like myself. =)

How easy would it be to compare prices? DO an order from Wal_mart - Do the exact order from Kroger? The cheaper place click submit.

Don't get me wrong - I think this is going to cost more and more jobs. This is just the beginning of this. You will have people come in and put in huge warehouses of food that will not have retail stores. They will thump Wal-Mart and other food chains that have stores because of over head. They will not need people to come in and stock their shelf's. They will cut out all the middle men - and computers and robots will pull and ship the orders.

RP - You keep talking about quality - Well, that is simple - If the quality is not there then it will not work. The quality will be there just like it is now.

I see numbers every month from customers I sell that have stores. Down - Down - Down they are going. Not good for me but it is what it is.

Breitontime

Set up an Amazon store, FD. Cut out the middle man. Sell at retail rather than wholesale.

fastdrop

I am considering it but if I could just hit the Lottery --- -well, I think I would throw in the towel.

Breitontime

Ha, I had big plans for that lotto money. I was going to call Mori Seiki first thing and tell them I want one of everything.

AirWarren

I'd like to weigh in on the target shopping. We love target....for certain things. The argument used that the wives out there prefer shopping there isn't true in my home. My wife is the budget queen. She has everything lined out on a spreadsheet and spreads out money out great. So great we are actually on a crash course to be debt free(student loans, mortgage, cars) by the time I'm 40. 10 years, God Willing. Now, if she goes into target and something is listed for 8.50 in the grocery isle and it's listed for 5.50 at dollar general, the peace sign is thrown up to target and dollar general she goes. But, her ways is why we have money in our pocket and low debt to income, so big daddy is happy.

As far as clothing line, you don't have to use target or Walmart for good deals on clothes. My wife has really found to love the express outlet at the little rock outlets. Great deals on clothes. Picked me out some jeans there. Also, I do a lot of my shopping for polos, etc at outlet malls too. Just stupid to pay full price. Same with my kiddos clothes. Best time to buy belk clothes is the when the season is up and stock up on clothes for next year. 50.00$ kids outfits for 10-15$.

I'm about to order some tires for my truck. The are ram 20s and usually run 650-800$. I can get them on eBay for 545-640$. I've ordered tires that were for a mustang, SUV, and up to 22 inch rims on eBay for years now. Best deals ever.

Online shopping or not. I go where the deal is :D

ricepig

Quote from: fastdrop on January 16, 2016, 04:36:21 am
I don't think only people that make 100 grand or over order pizza and have it delivered.

or People that go out and eat usually leave a tip of some kind - even poor old slobs like myself. =)

How easy would it be to compare prices? DO an order from Wal_mart - Do the exact order from Kroger? The cheaper place click submit.

Don't get me wrong - I think this is going to cost more and more jobs. This is just the beginning of this. You will have people come in and put in huge warehouses of food that will not have retail stores. They will thump Wal-Mart and other food chains that have stores because of over head. They will not need people to come in and stock their shelf's. They will cut out all the middle men - and computers and robots will pull and ship the orders.

RP - You keep talking about quality - Well, that is simple - If the quality is not there then it will not work. The quality will be there just like it is now.

I see numbers every month from customers I sell that have stores. Down - Down - Down they are going. Not good for me but it is what it is.

I think it's a different ballgame comparing a cooked pizza to a pork loin or head of lettuce, we shall see. I just don't think you can have enough warehouses to meet the needs for everyone, probably the larger metropolitan areas.

Breitontime

AW, Message the sellers, and have them send you the date code on the tires before you buy on eBay.

I buy all my mc tires on there, I always check the date code. Some of those guys are trying to get rid of 5-10 year old tires on there that were never sold in store.

RP, big metro areas have had grocery delivery for years. It seems to work just fine.

ricepig

Quote from: Breitontime on January 16, 2016, 09:17:03 am
AW, Message the sellers, and have them send you the date code on the tires before you buy on eBay.

I buy all my mc tires on there, I always check the date code. Some of those guys are trying to get rid of 5-10 year old tires on there that were never sold in store.

RP, big metro areas have had grocery delivery for years. It seems to work just fine.

I know they do, little grocery stores in small towns had it years ago too, doesn't mean it's going to be for everyone, or enough everyone's.

Breitontime

You very well may be correct.

Though, I think we'll soon find out. Everybody does everything on the Internet these days.

I rarely ever even get on my laptop anymore. I can do everything with my phone without missing a beat. Only time I touch a computer is to design a part in Solidworks.

Everything is about convenience these days, and that trend isn't slowing down.

Imagine the big box stores realizing they can cut 90% of their staff, and just run deliveries while making the same gross they are now.

sevenof400

Let's pause for a moment and consider this:

Quote from: Breitontime on January 16, 2016, 10:01:27 am
..Imagine the big box stores realizing they can cut 90% of their staff, and just run deliveries while making the same gross they are now.

If anything even remotely like this came to pass, can you imagine what domino effect increased retail vacancy rates would have throughout the economy?   On construction...on employment....everywhere. 

Downright frightening. 

Breitontime

January 16, 2016, 10:13:05 am #46 Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:16:05 am by Breitontime
Frightening indeed, for your normal hourly wage worker.

But, business is business. The goal is to make money.

It would be Heaven for the consumer. Lower overhead means lower prices, the majority of the time.

It's heading that way. Three of the largest retailers in the world are e-commerce. Amazon, eBay, and Alibaba.

HorseFeathers

With the scenario y'all are talking about, I see ebt usage soaring in the future...

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2016, 09:32:29 am
Quote from: Breitontime on January 16, 2016, 09:17:03 am

I know they do, little grocery stores in small towns had it years ago too, doesn't mean it's going to be for everyone, or enough everyone's.

That's a good idea. I ordered some 275/55/20 cooper discoverers for my mom's Denali last year. Great set of tires.

AirWarren

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 16, 2016, 10:10:12 am
Let's pause for a moment and consider this:

Quote from: Breitontime on January 16, 2016, 10:01:27 am
..Imagine the big box stores realizing they can cut 90% of their staff, and just run deliveries while making the same gross they are now.

If anything even remotely like this came to pass, can you imagine what domino effect increased retail vacancy rates would have throughout the economy?   On construction...on employment....everywhere. 

Downright frightening. 

Old generation always said, nothing comes good from the Internet. So yes, it could be scary.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas