• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Junction City Athletics

Started by Dragon I, May 10, 2007, 03:05:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragon I

This year Junction City sent there football team to the finals, Basketball team was crowned Champions, Powerlifting team was crowned, and the Baseball team finished in the semis.  When if ever has another 2A school finished with all three (Football, Basketball, and Baseball) in the semis and beyond.

union co

Must be something in the water, or something the skeeters are passing around! At any rate, Congratulations J.C. on a heck of a year!!!

panther07

that is an amazing thing but....there baseball team is by far the worst of those three...murfreesboro beat them twice one time a ten run rule...so they got a good draw...still impressive though

Dragon I

I couldn't agree more, I think Hackett looked by the Dragons.

dragonator

Dragon baseball  has certainly slipped into mediocrity and the "Powers That be" know it.  It is a shame when your best baseball players will not go out for the team.  I also think there may be some what of a effort to cover this up. I have noticed all year that the Dragon record was mentioned maybe twice in all the articles in the El Dorado paper. At the same time, it seemed every other school mentioned in the paper had its record listed. Then when JC upset two top seeds in the playoffs, mysteriously the paper lists their record in those articles. Coincidence or what? I don't know.

dragonator

Quote from: trojandad on May 10, 2007, 03:23:38 pm
Must be something in the water, or something the skeeters are passing around! At any rate, Congratulations J.C. on a heck of a year!!!

Shhhhhhh. Don't give away our secrets. ::)

SavedbyGrace

May 11, 2007, 11:36:25 pm #6 Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 07:56:08 pm by SavedbyGrace

Dragon I

I can't decide if your being serious, if so, this statement is too stupid to waste time responding.  If your not......kinda funny.

SavedbyGrace

May 12, 2007, 04:52:57 pm #8 Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 07:55:34 pm by SavedbyGrace

union co

Quote from: dragonator on May 11, 2007, 06:21:19 pm
Dragon baseball  has certainly slipped into mediocrity and the "Powers That be" know it.  It is a shame when your best baseball players will not go out for the team.  I also think there may be some what of a effort to cover this up. I have noticed all year that the Dragon record was mentioned maybe twice in all the articles in the El Dorado paper. At the same time, it seemed every other school mentioned in the paper had its record listed. Then when JC upset two top seeds in the playoffs, mysteriously the paper lists their record in those articles. Coincidence or what? I don't know.
Word is from a friend of mine that Hammett plays favorites, and if he didn't their record would have been a lot better. I have also been told the same statement about some good ball players didn't come out for the team because of this. On a football note, If Carpenter would implement a good passing game, them boys down there would look like a bunch of pimps with all those rings on their fingers.

union co

Quote from: SavedbyGrace on May 12, 2007, 04:52:57 pm
No, I'm serious.  Something sounds FISHY about all of this.
Reading your previous post you sound like your not from Union Co., so obviously your just trying to stir the pot.

minsco

Does sound  a little suspicious...........

dragonator

Quote from: SavedbyGrace on May 11, 2007, 11:36:25 pm
I just wonder how many of these junction kids are really eligible.  Obviously they are or this would come out, but why are some of the Junction players passing there, but they were not very academically sound at other schools.  Sounds like a little home town brewing to me.  I have heard of students leaving other districts to play at Junction because they suddenly became eligible at Junction.  HMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! ;D

Actually, there have been a number of kids who have transfered to JC and went out for football. The hole in this conspiracy theory is that most of these kids ending up quiting due to the brutal conditioning and practice schedules that Carpenter operates. For every one who may not know this, things are run a little different down here in JC.

We also have an excellent remedial education program here at JC so any of you'll that have talented athletes that need a little help, well send them on down and well make sure their name is spelled right on their championship rings. ::)

Dragon I

Uh huh...You spell that uhh...J....uhhh.....a....uhhh....just put my number on it, I'm number 28.

LOL.....If there really good, we'll find em a house close by too......

thebigshot

Yall have to overlook "SavedbyGrace" because that person been in a special hospital before.

union co

Quote from: TheBigShot on May 14, 2007, 05:24:05 pm
Yall have to overlook "SavedbyGrace" because that person been in a special hospital before.
Bob Watson Memorial Hospital maybe?

SavedbyGrace

May 17, 2007, 06:58:47 am #16 Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 07:48:41 pm by SavedbyGrace

He is Adolph Hitlers grandson.

bleudog

Sports banquet to be held at JCHS 

The Junction City Sports Banquet will begin at 7 p.m. on Tuesday (5/22) in the school cafeteria. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased in the superintendent's office or at the door.
   All senior high athletes and cheerleaders will be admitted free.

xtremewildcat

I have heard that my X-wife is moving back to ED to teach at JC. Could someone PM me and let me know what job she has down there. I was told by a co-worker, her old job was filled and the guy is not going anywhere.

bleudog

May 24, 2007, 09:00:22 am #20 Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 09:35:49 am by bleudog
DISCUS
1. Kurtis Hoof, Junction City 162-0;
2. Chris Bell, Pine Bluff 146-2;
3. Josh Dodson, Benton 145-0;
4. John White, Alma 144-0;
5. Chris Robertson, Farmington 137-0;
6. Kirksey, FS Southside 136-6;
7. Jake Denzer, Elkins 135-7;
8. Jacob Telman, County Line 127-1.

El Dorado News Times 5/24/07

Hoof brings home state title in discus

News-Times Staff  CABOT - Kurtis Hoof went into Wednesday's Meet of Champions in Cabot with a goal and he accomplished it.
   The Junction City senior had a career best throw of 162 feet, two inches in the discus to earn the meet title in that event.
   However, it wasn't until his fifth throw that Hoof released his best ever heave.
   "It's a lot of weight off my chest. I was happy. I was throwing 120 and 130's before that." He said. "It was just one of those days. Nobody was throwing over 145 (feet) I didn't have anybody to push me so I kind of struggled a bit."
   According to Junction City coach Brad Smith, everyone knew it was only a matter of time before Hoof broke out of his funk.
   "He was unflappable," Smith said. "You knew he would bounce back."
The way Hoof started was long forgotten once the meet winning throw was recorded. "It feels good to be a senior and go out undefeated," he said. "That was my goal for this season."
   Junction City freshman Byran Jones also had a great day with a personal best throw of 48 feet, eight inches in the shot put. His toss was good enough for seventh place.
   "He's a competitor. He always finds a way to get it done. He's a hard worker," said Smith. "Like many of the kids at Junction City he wants to win and will cut your head off in order to get a victory."................................

bleudog

May 24, 2007, 09:02:33 am #21 Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 05:07:11 pm by bleudog
HIGH JUMP

7A Sean Graham, Fayetteville ......... 6-6
6A Jeremy Thomas, Jonesboro ........ 6-4
5A Rodney Brown, Crossett ............ 6-3
4A Chris Craig, Warren .................. 6-6
3A Tony Gillard, Prescott ............... 6-0
2A J. Anderson, Junction City ......... 6-6
1A Issac Guiden, Guy-Perkins ......... 6-4
7A Nate Durham, FS Southside ....... 6-6

Alternates
1 Chase Emerson, Emerson ............ 6-4
2 Mayfield, Springdale Har-Ber ........ 6-4
3 Terris Smith, Pine Bluff ............... 6-4
4 Chris Wardlow, Conway .............. 6-4
5 Patrick Hester, Bentonville .......... 6-4

Noticed James Anderson was not listed as a finisher in the high jump.

HIGH JUMP
1. Nate Durham, FS Southside 6-6;
2. Chris Grarg, Warren 6-6;
3. Issac Guiden, Guy-Perkins 6-5;
4. Jeremy Thomas, Jonesboro 6-4;
5. Sean Graham, Fayetteville 6-2;
6. Tony Gillard, Prescott 6-2;
7. Rodney Brown, Crossett 6-0.

Anybody know what happened?

Dragon I

James didn't make the event.

bluesquad_07

well jessieville did just as good football champions, basketball boys & girls state runner up, baseball boys quaterfinalist, track third in the state meet without Noles, Fort, Terwigiller, AN Burk with a hurt ankle, girls track third with two seniors.
So i think jessieville did just as good in sports as jc an any other school in the state.

bleudog

Quote from: bluesquad_07 on May 26, 2007, 06:53:20 pm
well jessieville did just as good football champions, basketball boys & girls state runner up, baseball boys quaterfinalist, track third in the state meet without Noles, Fort, Terwigiller, AN Burk with a hurt ankle, girls track third with two seniors.
So i think jessieville did just as good in sports as jc an any other school in the state.

J'ville and JC definitely had the two best 2A overall athletic programs for 2006-2007.  Congratulations to both programs.

No disrespect to the track and field folks, or the golfers, or the weight lifters, or the ladies, etc.; but Dragon I asked about the "big three" (football, baseball, boys basketball).

1) Football:  J'ville gets 1 point win in state championship over JC.  Advantage J'ville.

2) Boys Basketball:  JC gets mercy rule win in state championship over J'ville.  Everything even.

3) Baseball:  J'ville reaches elite eight.  JC reaches final four.  Advantage JC.

To get back to Dragon I's original question, previously 2A football powers Shiloh Christian and Rison have historically not had strong baseball programs.  Barton '96-'97 did final four football and baseball but don't know about their basketball program.  I don't know if any school in any class would have final four-ed in football, baseball, and boys basketball in the same school year.  My guess would be maybe Nashville, Warren, Texarkana, Pine Bluff, Little Rock Central or Fort Smith Southside if any.

killerwood

Quote from: trojandad on May 12, 2007, 06:01:16 pm
Quote from: dragonator on May 11, 2007, 06:21:19 pm
Word is from a friend of mine that Hammett plays favorites, and if he didn't their record would have been a lot better. I have also been told the same statement about some good ball players didn't come out for the team because of this. On a football note, If Carpenter would implement a good passing game, them boys down there would look like a bunch of pimps with all those rings on their fingers.
hammett plays favorites is a bunch of bull the best ten were out there and everyone on the team knows that and all those "good baseball players that wouldnt play" were not up for the challenge and mext time you want to smart off about not haveing the best ten on the field come to a practice and see what they have to work with

Dragon I

OK Mark, calm down.  You seem to be the only person in Junction City that thinks this way.  Many have watched practice, and many have seen them play.  The kids that didn't play that were better than many that started, just didn't want to have to kiss rear-end to have to play.  The good thing about football at Junction City is it is in no way political.  People from outside of the district no whats going on.  When folks from Parkers Chapel and Norphlet see it, there is a problem.  Don't be blind to the fact.  Like it matters anyway, PC is loaded next year, although a few more key players sure would help.

dragonator

May 30, 2007, 10:35:00 am #27 Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 10:37:56 am by dragonator
I know for a fact, that there is one kid who will not play and he is Hammett's nephew. Eric Major is the best  ball player over there(in my opinion). I know he's "up for the challenge" because he is a great all around athlete.

I can't speak for this year because I didn't make any of the games, but I was told by several sources (parents and people who follow and know baseball) that  last year when baseball practice started several players were delegated to the batting cages everday while Hammett's chosen practiced on the field. Hammett was still coaching basketball and hadn't even seen the hand he had been dealt. Assistant coach Smith was running practice. These kids were not given a equal chance to fight for a position. Hammett had his team picked before practice even started.
Who would have ever thought you'd see freshmen starting for JC and upperclassmen riding the bench. What's even worse is that when the freshmen started making stupid mistakes (as freshmen will do) that cost them games, Hammett would still not play his upperclassmen. This what upset alot of the parents and Dragon supporters.

P.S. I don't who "killerWood" is but I would suggest some remedial courses on punctuation and sentence structure before you post again. It makes it easier for all of us to understand your point. Just a thought ;D

CACKY

Quote from: dragonator on May 30, 2007, 10:35:00 am
I know for a fact, that there is one kid who will not play and he is Hammett's nephew. Eric Major is the best  ball player over there(in my opinion). I know he's "up for the challenge" because he is a great all around athlete.

I can't speak for this year because I didn't make any of the games, but I was told by several sources (parents and people who follow and know baseball) that  last year when baseball practice started several players were delegated to the batting cages everday while Hammett's chosen practiced on the field. Hammett was still coaching basketball and hadn't even seen the hand he had been dealt. Assistant coach Smith was running practice. These kids were not given a equal chance to fight for a position. Hammett had his team picked before practice even started.
Who would have ever thought you'd see freshmen starting for JC and upperclassmen riding the bench. What's even worse is that when the freshmen started making stupid mistakes (as freshmen will do) that cost them games, Hammett would still not play his upperclassmen. This what upset alot of the parents and Dragon supporters.

P.S. I don't who "killerWood" is but I would suggest some remedial courses on punctuation and sentence structure before you post again. It makes it easier for all of us to understand your point. Just a thought ;D

and I would suggest you check your PS for accuracy before you take someone to task for their sentence structure :o

footballfan

union co

[
hammett plays favorites is a bunch of bull the best ten were out there and everyone on the team knows that and all those "good baseball players that wouldnt play" were not up for the challenge and mext time you want to smart off about not haveing the best ten on the field come to a practice and see what they have to work with
[/quote] What sport are you talking of with 10 players on the field??? ??? ???

dragonator

Quote from: sportsbroad on May 30, 2007, 10:56:53 am
Quote from: dragonator on May 30, 2007, 10:35:00 am

and I would suggest you check your PS for accuracy before you take someone to task for their sentence structure :o

I never claimed to be an English professor and that my posts were perfect. I sometimes omit commas and commit other grammatical errors, but I have enough of a red-neck education to know a  run-on sentence when I see one.
By the way, the key word in my post was "remedial".   I'll be the first to admit that a refresher on grammar would probably benefit me as well.

footballfan

"Who would have ever thought you'd see freshmen starting for JC and upperclassmen riding the bench?"

Seemed to work in Chapel with Midyett starting as a freshman and older players riding the bench.

bleudog

Quote from: trojandad on May 30, 2007, 12:58:51 pm
What sport are you talking of with 10 players on the field??? ??? ???
One thing Joe Paul didn't changed when he became head coach of the Dragon baseball team two seasons ago was using a designated hitter.  I guess all AR high school coaches don't use a DH; Junction does.  That should be the tenth player "on the field."

While I might disagree with some things Dragon I, dragonator, trojandad and others have posted about the current state of JC baseball, count me as someone who'd take the position the bulk of what they've posted is unfortunately accurate.

Dragon I

Thanks bleudog, it's a sad but true fact about a state baseball powerhouse.

dragonator

Quote from: footballfan on May 30, 2007, 05:08:51 pm
"Who would have ever thought you'd see freshmen starting for JC and upperclassmen riding the bench?"

Seemed to work in Chapel with Midyett starting as a freshman and older players riding the bench.

PC has a great program and should be congratulated on their success. No offense, but until they win as many championships as JC has over the years, PC's experiences are really not relavant to this discussion. Those  players that played in the 70's and 80's under the environment and coaching philosophy of Bolen and Hux when JC was winning titles against all comers (when state tournament was open classification) can relate to what were talking about.

killerwood

Quote from: trojandad on May 30, 2007, 12:58:51 pm
[
What sport are you talking of with 10 players on the field??? ??? ???
[/quote]
lets see if we can count it together
1. pitcher
2. catcher
3. first base
4. second base
5. third base
6. short stop
7. left field
8. center field
9. right field
and for the infamous 10. designated hitter

Dragon I

Mark (Killerwood), this issue has already been addressed in a previous post.  Face it, your hacked because you couldn't make it on the football field. 

For the rest of the posters, I promise, his whining and lack of overall intelligence do not reflect the education or discipline of the Junction City Public School System.  Whining gets you nothing in the football program but the bench, maybe for him it got a starting catchers spot.

union co

Ouch, I felt that. Don't worry Dragon I, I know some good people in JC, and know a couple of good teachers there. Whiners are everywhere and in every school.

hothands

come on folks, hammet is playin favorites? when i was a freshman i spent every practice at the cage the whole time and i am very thankful for it because it made me a better ball player. and as for major not coming out for baseball its most certainly not because hammet plays favorites, especially if he's his cousin, major's problem was that he didnt really care for baseball and wanted to spend time in the weight room.  o and i know my puncuation, grammar, and spelling isnt correct, i dont need a nit picker to identify it for me.

Dragon I

Major wanting to be in the weight room had nothing to do with him not playing baseball.

Dragon I

And Killerwood, you still haven't named a sport where ten are on the FIELD at the same time.  The DH is in the dugout while the other nine are playing.  Try again. ::)

bleudog

July 02, 2007, 10:16:51 am #42 Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 10:21:35 am by bleudog
If anyone is interested:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6800642

Reference to Koby McKinnon in the Fox article on ASU. 

They also mention Ben Owens who I think was a Bearden Bear.

footballfan

This area's well represented in the story. Koby McKinnon was outstanding in football, basketball and track at JC. Ben Owens was a four-sport letterman at Bearden. Tyrell Johnson, one of the best D-backs in the league, played at Rison if I'm not mistaken.

Wilson

The thing about as soon as practice started some are sent to the cages while the others stay up on the field.   Well.....just being totally honest.....that has gone on at JC since I can remember......and if anyone knows me......I started going to JC baseball practices when I was around 7 years old.   This goes all the way back to Coach Bolen days.....and he was a decent coach .... ;)....anyway......as long as I can remember it.....JC would run their laps......stretch.......warm the arms up......then we would separate......the top 18....and sometimes less would stay up on the field....and the dozen or so others would go the cages to hit hit hit and hit some more.   That is what would make them better........once the season got going......we only had so many hours a week we were allowed to practice by the AAA.....and if the other 12 were involved with every phase of the practice.......we would not be working the top 18 enough.......when Coach Bolen and Coach Hux were in charge....the practices were very structured.    Fundamentals were touched on EVERY day......live BP........and infield practice till it was done right.     Between the 2 coaches...."Bolen and Hux" there were over 700 victories.......6 state titles.....3 rup finishes.....and over 20 semifinal appearances........Coach Bolen was 385-63 as a head coach with 4 state titles.  He may have won another one in 1986 if he had not died on the field during the first round of the state tourney.    Coach Hammett is a coach Bolen disciple.........I personally played 3 years for Joe Paul at the airport.....and he never played favorites......I don't see it in his Character........it would suprise me more than if the sun didn't rise tomorrow if he was doing that.    Coaches Hux and Bolen did it the right way........with class.....integrity.......and knowledge of the game in all phases........Coach Bolen was named Arkansas High School coach of the year 5 times.....and Coach Hux twice.........Joe Paul played for both of the these men.........I just don't see this being something that he could or better yet....would do.    If he was Coach Bolen would have already crawled out of that grave that is about 40 yards from home plate and had a long talk with the man ;)     Give Joe Paul time.......he will get it back to where it used to be.....I have no doubt.     We have just been kinda thin on the mound the last couple of years....

bleudog

August 10, 2007, 02:00:55 pm #45 Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 04:21:06 pm by bleudog
Didn't want to start a new thread and since Eric Major had been mentioned here thought it would fit.

Louisiana Tech head coach Derek Dooley and his staff conducted the Dooley-Dawg Kick-To-Win Instructional Camp at Joe Aillet Stadium in early June.

The Kick-To-Win Instructional Camp was for young men entering grades 7 through 12 and was geared towards placekickers, punters and deep snappers.  The camp featured instructions from former NFL players Chris Boniol, Toby Gowin and Trey Junkin. The threesome combined to log over 30 years of NFL experience at their respective positions.

I understand they separated the young men into groups based on their ages and the size of their schools.  Eric was not only the top rated punter in his group, but he was also the overall top rated punter at the camp.

Eric was the starting Dragon QB and punter as a junior last year.  Understand the QB spot may be up for grabs this year.  Whatever position he plays this year, there is no doubt that boy can punt and probably could at the next level.

Congratulations, Eric.

jctigercat

YEA TO BAD A COUPLE OTHER SCHOOLS CANT SAY THAT THEY LOST 3-0 TO THE EVENTUAL STATE CHAMPS. :)

jctigercat

KILLERWOOD NOWS WAT HE'S TALKIN BOUT! THIS IS BIG SAS MARK.

AF&B

Quote from: jctigercat on August 26, 2007, 12:47:16 pm
YEA TO BAD A COUPLE OTHER SCHOOLS CANT SAY THAT THEY LOST 3-0 TO THE EVENTUAL STATE CHAMPS. :)
too bad you can only type in caps?

jctigercat

I can type however i want to bud.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas