• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nepotism and Hiring

Started by Brian G, April 15, 2019, 09:17:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Brian G

I find this to be an interesting conversation.  I read several versions and updates to the link posted and I think it's an interesting conversation.  As with all things, it comes down to how you interpret the language.

Not sure if there is a "grandfather" provision or if it has workarounds when it comes to direct supervision. 

Coach9586

Quote from: B.G. on April 15, 2019, 09:17:39 pm
https://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/images/uploads/personalManagementOffice/30_15HiringRelatives.pdf

Can a coach hire his kid to be on staff?

If there is a position open I don't see a problem with it. If the school goes out of its way to create a position then I could see the argument against it. Coaching is all about who you know to get jobs anyway and I would say why not use resources you've been given (or born with). But once again as long as the school has a legitimate position open and not just creating one.

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

If the hiring relative is on the school board or maybe even the superintendent, then probably not. But a coach does not really hire people, so a father and son or brothers on staff should be okay in my estimation.

T65

Quote from: B.G. on April 15, 2019, 09:17:39 pm
https://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/images/uploads/personalManagementOffice/30_15HiringRelatives.pdf

Can a coach hire his kid to be on staff?

Public Official: The Secretary of State, Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Treasurer of
the State, Auditor of the State, Attorney General, Commissioner of State Lands, a
member of the Senate, a member of the House of Representatives, and the executive
head of any agency, department, board, commission, institution, bureau, or council of
this state.

I'd say based on the definition of public official that they can

sevenof400

Nepotism is a serious problem in the public education system and a thoughtful district will avoid it if they are smart.
Unfortunately.......

we_hate_the_band

April 16, 2019, 11:27:28 am #6 Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 11:31:06 am by we_hate_the_band
School employees are not state employees. They are employees of a state funded district that is ran by an elected school board and superintendent. If you're going to argue that they are state employees, then you should pay my wife's insurance premium.

Nepotism occurs in public schools for a variety of reasons. Let's take Jasper for an example. Everybody loves to visit there but how many people would be able to live there? Odds are if they are going to hire a teacher there, they are probably from that area. And 8 out of 10 people there are related.

Now, consider Fayetteville. Top pay, great location, 200 applicants for every position posted. They are able to select from anybody. If there was a position under direct supervision, what would be the correct response when you had 200 applicants for a job and you choose one that is your son? At one point, nearly every assistant on Dawson's staff had been the HC at another school. Why would it be important to hire a person without HC experience?

The real question is does Fayetteville have a nepotism policy in their personnel policies?

Mulerider4Life

Just part of the sports world. Heck even part of all the work world.

Eddie Goodson

There are nepotism rules that govern certified employees in schools, however, school districts can get around much of it if they get in a bind trying to fill a position.

Brian G

This is actually not as cut and dried at it might seem.  The law exists for a reason and as someone in position to approve school hirings, Eddie brings some perspective.

beach bum

Quote from: we_hate_the_band on April 16, 2019, 11:27:28 am
School employees are not state employees. They are employees of a state funded district that is ran by an elected school board and superintendent. If you're going to argue that they are state employees, then you should pay my wife's insurance premium.

Nepotism occurs in public schools for a variety of reasons. Let's take Jasper for an example. Everybody loves to visit there but how many people would be able to live there? Odds are if they are going to hire a teacher there, they are probably from that area. And 8 out of 10 people there are related.

Now, consider Fayetteville. Top pay, great location, 200 applicants for every position posted. They are able to select from anybody. If there was a position under direct supervision, what would be the correct response when you had 200 applicants for a job and you choose one that is your son? At one point, nearly every assistant on Dawson's staff had been the HC at another school. Why would it be important to hire a person without HC experience?

The real question is does Fayetteville have a nepotism policy in their personnel policies?

Very well said overall... +1

threepeoplematter

What if the coaches relative being hired was TRULY the most qualified candidate.  For example, what if a coach's son/relative had been a head coach and father needed a coordinator and it was the same system as son ran.  Father is at a bigger school than son, and son could increase pay and reputation by applying for the job, even if father wasn't the head coach.  If son is actually the best candidate, should it matter they are related?  (And yes, I understand the appearance of it.)

beach bum

Quote from: threepeoplematter on April 17, 2019, 08:36:55 am
What if the coaches relative being hired was TRULY the most qualified candidate.  For example, what if a coach's son/relative had been a head coach and father needed a coordinator and it was the same system as son ran.  Father is at a bigger school than son, and son could increase pay and reputation by applying for the job, even if father wasn't the head coach.  If son is actually the best candidate, should it matter they are related?  (And yes, I understand the appearance of it.)

That is not the case at all in the Fayetteville situation ... as a poster stated above at least 100 people would have applied for the job and his ego wanted his less qualified son to get the job. Again, this practice is more understandable in a small, rural district who needs a more stable, long term hire. Fayetteville is above one mans ego....

Brian G

Hence the difficulty or these kinds of situations.  You can't have the rule and partially enforce it.  Either you have it or you don't.

bleudog

Quote from: GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over on April 16, 2019, 11:03:20 am
If the hiring relative is on the school board or maybe even the superintendent, then probably not. But a coach does not really hire people, so a father and son or brothers on staff should be okay in my estimation.

Not to pick on Russellville, because it's a boilerplate policy almost all Arkansas public schools use, but you're correct about school board members being under more stringent rules.

https://core-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/asset/uploaded_file/55968/1.17_Nepotism.pdf

sevenof400

Quote from: bleudog on April 17, 2019, 04:44:31 pm
Not to pick on Russellville, because it's a boilerplate policy almost all Arkansas public schools use, but you're correct about school board members being under more stringent rules.

https://core-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/asset/uploaded_file/55968/1.17_Nepotism.pdf

However, the problem with this is some board members 'knowingly' walk their way around these rules by "resigning" from the board to allow their relative to be considered for (and likely get) a position, then magically end up back on the board via a "special" election. 

That stinks to high heaven, and yet some boards do this.

Now to be fair, the number of people desiring to be on school boards is NOT a large number and perhaps the best way to address this is to find some way to get more people interested in being on their local school board.  That is a problem needing attention too.

bleudog

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 17, 2019, 05:11:13 pm
However, the problem with this is some board members 'knowingly' walk their way around these rules by "resigning" from the board to allow their relative to be considered for (and likely get) a position, then magically end up back on the board via a "special" election. 

That stinks to high heaven, and yet some boards do this.

Now to be fair, the number of people desiring to be on school boards is NOT a large number and perhaps the best way to address this is to find some way to get more people interested in being on their local school board.  That is a problem needing attention too.

To expand on that:

When a board position is vacated, the remaining board members name a person to fill the position until the next public election.  At that point the appointed school board member would have to win the public election to fill out the unexpired term that was created by the resignation.

If the people of the zone choose to "re-elect" the board member who resigned to allow a family member to be hired, then, good/bad/indifferent, the people have spoken.

threepeoplematter

Quote from: beach bum on April 17, 2019, 11:25:24 am
That is not the case at all in the Fayetteville situation ... as a poster stated above at least 100 people would have applied for the job and his ego wanted his less qualified son to get the job. Again, this practice is more understandable in a small, rural district who needs a more stable, long term hire. Fayetteville is above one mans ego....

Didn't say it was, was replying to the topic in general.  I have no idea about the Fayetteville situation other than what I have read on here.  I was saying in general if this was the case, as many people are saying hiring a relative in general seems to be a bad idea.

Rudehog

Brian G

There are examples across several sports in this state.

sevenof400

Quote from: bleudog on April 17, 2019, 09:28:28 pm
To expand on that:

When a board position is vacated, the remaining board members name a person to fill the position until the next public election.  At that point the appointed school board member would have to win the public election to fill out the unexpired term that was created by the resignation.

If the people of the zone choose to "re-elect" the board member who resigned to allow a family member to be hired, then, good/bad/indifferent, the people have spoken.

However, I've seen some examples where the remaining board members choose to reappoint the board member who stepped down to allow their kin to be hired. 

bleudog

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 18, 2019, 06:23:25 pm
However, I've seen some examples where the remaining board members choose to reappoint the board member who stepped down to allow their kin to be hired. 

Yes, that's an option.  But that reappointed person would then be considered interim and has to run to fulfill their own unexpired term.  So some time during the next 12 month period, the voting public would have a chance to weigh in on that candidate's actions.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas