• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beebe HC Open

Started by WTD, December 05, 2018, 10:13:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WTD

The job has been posted on the AAEA job site.

Pat Swilling

I can't help but believe this is a pretty good job.

doggieskoot2

Good job except the LRC and PA part.    Everything else seems good.

After going 4-6 what was the reason for the previous coach leaving?  Move on or pushed out?

TrenchHogs

Coach Shannon is stepping down as head coach. He will continue his teaching duties at the High School.

softballfan22

WITHOUT QUESTION: Des Arc head coach and Beebe Alum Drake Widener will be the New Head Coach.

sevenof400

Quote from: Pat Swilling on December 05, 2018, 10:28:04 am
I can't help but believe this is a pretty good job.

Please elaborate on why you believe this.  I'm not saying you are right / wrong, just curious for the basis of your POV.

Bondfan4ever

Seven, I might be able to elaborate a bit.  I know I have a bit of an unfair advantage because of what I do, and the fact that I've lived in Beebe for 46 years.  The Beebe School District is growing, with excellent facilities.  As far as the city of Beebe, we are now over 8,000 in population and continues to grow.  With U.S. 67 getting designated as "future I-57" with the future hopefully coming off soon, the sky is the limit as far as potential business growth.  Beebe is about 40 miles south of Greers Ferry Lake, 35 or so miles east of Lake Conway, plus, we're at the foothills of the Ozarks.  The reputation of the school district is generally good with good athletic facilities.  Hopefully, that answers your question.  Didn't mean to sound like the Chamber of Commerce.

sevenof400

Now of course I knew you would say these things, Bondfan4ever  ;D

I was curious though if Pat had a different insight.  I'm sure the C of C and the B of E will thank you for your efforts though!

Seriously though, you do raise a couple of interesting points (perhaps in the longer term though).  I'm not sure when I-57 will come to reality but the additional traffic through the area would surely bring more business to the area - and, in turn, more people.  Might have to think about Beebe moving to the 6A in a decade (give or take)...

beebefootballfan

Drake is the logical choice if he decides to apply.  I just hope people of Beebe realize they won't be seeing a big change in offensive philosophy. He throws it more out of the T but he still runs the T.  I think he would do a great job there and would have a much better rapport with the players and their families than what has been seen in the past.

Pat Swilling

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 05, 2018, 05:57:25 pm
Please elaborate on why you believe this.  I'm not saying you are right / wrong, just curious for the basis of your POV.
I said pretty good job.  Not Great.  Beebe is a good school, program, community.  If LRCA and PA were not in the league then I might call it a great job.  With the AAA you never know how long they will be in the same league.  From the outside it looks like a good place.

Pat Swilling

Does Beebe have an indoor football facility?

beebefootballfan

Yes

Also Chris Gunter will probably get a look. I suspect it will be him or Drake who get the job. Both would be good fits.

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: beebefootballfan on December 06, 2018, 09:33:35 am
Drake is the logical choice if he decides to apply.  I just hope people of Beebe realize they won't be seeing a big change in offensive philosophy. He throws it more out of the T but he still runs the T.  I think he would do a great job there and would have a much better rapport with the players and their families than what has been seen in the past.

What a coach does in one situation does not necessarily mean that is what they'd run in the next.  Coach Widener could remain Wing-T at a bigger stop, could also open it up a bit more with better numbers and different talent level.  Hire the person, not the system.

Pat Swilling

Surprised Mark King's name hasn't been mentioned yet. 

i40traveler

I'm sure they'll go after some of these state title coaches too.

Pat Swilling

Quote from: i40traveler on December 07, 2018, 09:13:30 am
totally agree.  people always want to get in a big rush.  thats why its dangerous to hire before Christmas.

Bondfan4ever

Some interesting names have already applied for the position. I will not release any names unless I get the okay from the individuals themselves, but some names familiar to the eastern half of the state have applied and two out of state applicants have thrown their names in the hat. 

youhavenoidea

Quote from: Bondfan4ever on December 10, 2018, 06:00:13 pm
Some interesting names have already applied for the position. I will not release any names unless I get the okay from the individuals themselves, but some names familiar to the eastern half of the state have applied and two out of state applicants have thrown their names in the hat.
ah yes, the famous I've got some names from a cousins neighbors sister-in-laws babysitter bus driver info but I can't say anything, I'll just post on here that I heard some names...sure its legit

Rida4Life

Quote from: Pat Swilling on December 07, 2018, 09:11:10 am
Surprised Mark King's name hasn't been mentioned yet. 

^I think you did.... LOL

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: softballfan22 on December 05, 2018, 03:11:53 pm
WITHOUT QUESTION: Des Arc head coach and Beebe Alum Drake Widener will be the New Head Coach.

inaccurate statement

gcsdad

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on December 11, 2018, 11:20:28 am

inaccurate statement
If Beebe wants Drake they get him. Don't kid yourself. There are others in front of him in the pecking order. Kind of puzzling though. Gunter doesn't teach a class and would take a paycut at Beebe. Not real sure what the Beebe people think they're gonna get. It's kind of a rough job. I wouldn't think our HC would leave Stuttgart either for Beebe.

mastiff

This makes me chuckle. If things don't change that go with the HC position, you won't get a decent candidate at all.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Pat Swilling on December 07, 2018, 09:23:36 am
Quote from: i40traveler on December 07, 2018, 09:13:30 am
totally agree.  people always want to get in a big rush.  thats why its dangerous to hire before Christmas.

What would attrack a state title coach?  3 winning seasons in 10 years, got to be a tough place to coach and win.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: gcsdad on December 11, 2018, 11:44:21 am
If Beebe wants Drake they get him. Don't kid yourself. There are others in front of him in the pecking order. Kind of puzzling though. Gunter doesn't teach a class and would take a paycut at Beebe. Not real sure what the Beebe people think they're gonna get. It's kind of a rough job. I wouldn't think our HC would leave Stuttgart either for Beebe.

not kidding myself. just know what I been told. not saying he may not end up there, but im saying he is not a shoe in. don't always get what ya want.

Bondfan4ever

In earlier posts, one or two have doubted what I had said about applicants.  Those individuals, as well as anyone else, are welcome to listen to B2 Internet Radio's Wednesday news update, which airs at 7 am, noon, and 5 pm.  Two of the coaches I reached out to for permission to publicly name them got back with me and gave me their okay.  We will be mentioning a little about their backgrounds in the news article also.  You can listen to the station either by going to www.b2internetradio.com or you can download it for Apple or Android today.  Thanks.

beebefootballfan

Eagles is 100% accurate.

arkansasFBscoop

Quote from: beebefootballfan on December 11, 2018, 09:20:16 pm
Eagles is 100% accurate.

Yep, he is spot on.

Have to remember - new superintendent in place.  Pretty well connected athletically.  I doubt he'll feel obligated to stay with local guy.  5A job, decent money, location, support - they'll draw quality candidates.  Widener may very well wind up with position, but idea that it is a lock is flat out wrong as Pick said.

Curious if Chris Smith from Germantown (TN) is involved in this.  Know his named was mentioned with Cabot.  He'd be a great candidate here, not going to get Cabot job.

nudae58

Quote from: arkansasFBscoop on December 12, 2018, 02:46:18 am

Curious if Chris Smith from Germantown (TN) is involved in this.  Know his named was mentioned with Cabot.  He'd be a great candidate here, not going to get Cabot job.

No, he is not a candidate for Beebe job. Most likely moving on from Germantown though after going 23-2 last two seasons at the highest level of football in Tennessee. Heard he does want to get back in Arkansas, but is even entertaining offers for next level offensive jobs.

TrenchHogs

Quote from: gcsdad on December 11, 2018, 11:44:21 am

I wouldn't say rough job. They have the athletes to have more success. Will always be tough in the 5A central with the private schools... I hear it is Drake's job for the taking.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: TrenchHogs on December 12, 2018, 12:09:52 pm
I wouldn't say rough job. They have the athletes to have more success. Will always be tough in the 5A central with the private schools... I hear it is Drake's job for the taking.

I hear he doesn't want it.

mastiff

Drake would be a good one. He could do good things. He would make sure that his kids are tough. He is super tough himself. I heard he once ate a ham and cheese sandwich and he didn't even bother to take the cheese out of the plastic. That's the kind of guy I would want coaching my team.

tigerblood

Tough Houdini tough...we're talking about a man who once wrestled a black panther with his bare hands while his assistants chased each other on roller skates. A man who rode in a game not only on the wings of eagles, but also on a white horse. Heck, if he was a bit more Jewish looking I'd be convinced he might be the second coming of Jesus Christ himself. Give this man the helm and he just might turn Badger land in to a respectable place again. Imagining Eagle country without ole Houdini Widener is like my ice chest without a good cold natty! But he'd be a homerun for this Beebe job. Alum who has been super successful as the head man. Houdini these next 13 nattys are for you! Bout to stone cold every one of them.

Bondfan4ever

On Thursday's news update on B2 Internet Radio, we will be confirming two more applicants for the position, including one from what may be considered a powerhouse in this region of the country.  For those interested, our news updates air at 7 am, noon, and 5 pm, every weekday and you can listen to the station either by going to www.b2internetradio.com or by downloading the app for Apple or Android.

AT

I will be interested myself if Coach Gunter applies for the position at Beebe, his alma mater. The guy is an offensive genius.

Rida4Life

I'm betting it's Widener or King.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Rida4Life on December 13, 2018, 10:44:11 am
I'm betting it's Widener or King.

if you expect to win the bet, you better hope its King.

gcsdad

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on December 13, 2018, 10:58:15 am
if you expect to win the bet, you better hope its King.
I know you love your Eagles, and Drake is down in the pecking order, however, if you think that if Beebe offers Drake and he's gonna turn it down you are the biggest homer I've ever seen. I doubt he gets offered though.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: gcsdad on December 13, 2018, 11:35:23 am
I know you love your Eagles, and Drake is down in the pecking order, however, if you think that if Beebe offers Drake and he's gonna turn it down you are the biggest homer I've ever seen. I doubt he gets offered though.

I don't see Beebe hiring someone who runs an under center run O.

gcsdad

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on December 13, 2018, 11:47:17 am
I don't see Beebe hiring someone who runs an under center run O.
I don't see scheme being a deal breaker with anyone. It's about getting the best guy. Just to add to the widener thing, I don't see him getting an offer but he would get an $8373.94 raise at Beebe compared to Des Arc. I don't see him turning down the opportunity at his alma mater.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: gcsdad on December 13, 2018, 11:35:23 am

yea, you are right. im just pulling this all out of thin air. I don't talk to him at all........ ::)

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: gcsdad on December 13, 2018, 12:07:40 pm
I don't see scheme being a deal breaker with anyone. It's about getting the best guy. Just to add to the widener thing, I don't see him getting an offer but he would get an $8373.94 raise at Beebe compared to Des Arc. I don't see him turning down the opportunity at his alma mater.

an 8k a year raise for a job with no security? when he can stay at des arc as long as he wants with little chance of getting fired.

and scheme seems to be a big deal to beebe. they want to run they spread......

i40traveler

8K is a big deal when you're making say 50K.  8K is a big deal for a small town fball coach

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: i40traveler on December 13, 2018, 01:34:58 pm
8K is a big deal when you're making say 50K.  8K is a big deal for a small town fball coach

that's less than 800 a month, now if you were talking 20+ more a year, the risk may be worth it.
not when there is no security at beebe. you know how long it has been since des arc fired a coach for lack of performance? cause I don't. you know how long its been sine beebe did? I do.

and be like Prescott who went to bauxite and is plum out of coaching now. job security is a plus when you have a young child.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on December 13, 2018, 01:56:06 pm

that's less than 800 a month, now if you were talking 20+ more a year, the risk may be worth it.
not when there is no security at beebe. you know how long it has been since des arc fired a coach for lack of performance? cause I don't. you know how long its been sine beebe did? I do.

and be like Prescott who went to bauxite and is plum out of coaching now. job security is a plus when you have a young child.
Would love to know what you do for a living. $800 is a house payment.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

December 13, 2018, 03:27:56 pm #44 Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 03:33:10 pm by pick_DA_EAGLES
Quote from: Oldman on December 13, 2018, 03:08:33 pm
Would love to know what you do for a living. $800 is a house payment.

yes it is, but 50k with pretty much job security for as long as you want to coach is a WHOLE lot more than 58k for 4-6 years if you do not win a certain amount of games that are probably unrealistic at beebe.

beebe is not gonna win a conference title or a state title till p.a. and l.r.c. go away.

Kraig Crist

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on December 13, 2018, 03:27:56 pm

yes it is, but 50k with pretty much job security for as long as you want to coach is a WHOLE lot more than 58k for 4-6 years if you do not win a certain amount of games that are probably unrealistic at beebe.

beebe is not gonna win a conference title or a state title till p.a. and l.r.c. go away.

incogneto

PA and LRCA are very capable of having a down cycle.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: incogneto on December 13, 2018, 07:13:23 pm
PA and LRCA are very capable of having a down cycle.

L.R.C. maybe, P.A. naw.

Bondfan4ever

As of Thursday evening, there have been 13 applications received and 1/3 of them are from out of state.  It's obvious that the Beebe job has some stature to it for a relatively high percentage of out of state applications.  It will be interesting not only how many more applications come in, but the percentage of out of state applications that are received.  We will continue to release the names of those applicants on the B2 Internet Radio news updates, who give us the okay for their name to be mentioned.

AirWarren

How many state titles has he won at Des Arc?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas