• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Marion Open

Started by Sporty, April 18, 2018, 08:31:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

game on

Quote from: game on on April 24, 2018, 02:28:37 pm
I'd bet if they can win it will not make much difference what they run.  Score points and stop their opponent.
Quote from: purpleswag on April 25, 2018, 05:03:23 am
It's funny how winning does that
Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 25, 2018, 08:44:46 am
Just don't think you'll find long term success running a wing, diamond, or dead T playing in the 6A East with the type of athletes Marion has. They definitely have speed, but I don't see them lining up and running over Pine Bluff, West Memphis, or Jonesboro with fullback dive or veer all game.
Quote from: HogWild25 on April 25, 2018, 10:24:07 am
It's quite obvious the spread hasn't been working at Marion either, if running the spread is your answer for Marion then why have they been doing so poorly?? Some people fail to realize that option teams do not require a huge O-line, you have to be tough and quick to get up to the second level and hold a block long enough for the RB to make a play, slow fat linemen just get in the way. Look at Harding they have been doing some damage in division II football, look at Navy and Georgia Tech, they also don't have big linemen GT is always in the hunt in the ACC, Surely Marion has linemen like that that can match up at the high school level, and i'm sure they have speed on the edge which could be lethal running an option attack offense, especially since their conference teams aren't used to preparing for a team like that. Hard to prepare for that offense in just 4 days.

Marion has been mostly a struggling program throughout its history.  The prejudice toward or against a particular offense or defense is not helping that program. They have been just about every type team you can imagine, results basically the same.
If you think Spread is the answer then look around at all the teams in the spread that loose.  If you think that Wing T or Diamond T will not work then you should do a little research.  There are some of the best teams in America running the Wing t for instance. Bellevue Washington, Clarksville MD, Lowdes GA, Blue Ridge AZ to name a few. These teams have been ranked in the top 10-20 nationally, won state championships. West Memphis which has a much better history than Marion was a Wing T team for something like 20 years. There are of course Spread teams that win championships and Wing T teams that loose lots of games.  It's not just the offense its who is
coaching it.  Every Friday teams running every conceivable offense or defense possible are winning and loosing. You need a coach that understands kids, understands the offense and defense he has chosen and can assemble a staff that can coach it properly and get the kids to play hard and play a very physical game.   Go talk to Malzahn and ask him where the basis for his offense comes from?  He has written and spoken about it often.

Iknewthemwhen

Here is the best record Marion has had in a long time.  Who was the coach and what did he run.

2013:  2 (11 games)
2012:  2 (11 games)
2011:  8 (12 games)
2010:  7 (11 games)
2009:  6 (11 games)
2008:  5 (11 games)
2007:  6 (11 games)
2006:  8 (12 games)
2005:  9 (12 games

WTD

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on April 25, 2018, 12:05:29 pm
Here is the best record Marion has had in a long time.  Who was the coach and what did he run.

2013:  2 (11 games)
2012:  2 (11 games)
2011:  8 (12 games)
2010:  7 (11 games)
2009:  6 (11 games)
2008:  5 (11 games)
2007:  6 (11 games)
2006:  8 (12 games)
2005:  9 (12 games

Mark Uhiren

2005 and 2006 He had Darcell Johnson and Jerry Franklin
2010 and 2011 Trey Franklin, Rashad Boyd, and Cory Garrett
5 of the best athletes to ever come through Marion.

Iknewthemwhen

Isn't that what program operate on, good athletes?  What style of offense were they running.  Seems Urhiren was old fashioned almost a run only kind of guy.

ClutchFactor62

Coach Uhiren. In 05, the best season according to your list, they were in a conference very similar to the 5A East (Tech, Paragould, Wynne, etc) He had decent success. But in my opinion, they didn't play near the schedule from 05 to 11 as Marion plays now. Beating teams like GCT, Parkview, Paragould,  Blytheville, Forrest City, Hall, Jacksonville, and Searcy (before their recent success) was a much easier feat than beating West Memphis, Pine Bluff, Jonesboro, Searcy,etc.

Check Coach Uhiren's last 2 years running that offense against tougher competition. It wasn't pretty. To me, the thing that has made Marion competitive the past 3 years has been their ability to pass the ball effectively and play outside the box. I get it, any offense can work and there are some successful teams that are extremely run heavy. But for Marion, an equalizer for them was to make the D honor every part of the field to counter having small lineman, and developing QB's that could make plays. Watch them play Pine Bluff, West Memphis, and Jonesboro. They are outsized at every position and it's not even close.

Being from NEA, I'm judging this off the few games I saw them play in conference against Jonesboro and West Memphis. I didn't think there was any way that they had the personnel to run downhill at them all game be effective. But, they had some dang good receivers and skill kids.

I just don't see a coach going to Marion and having sustained success in that conference running a 2-3 back, 1-2 tight offense. Just an observation of their personnel after watching their 6A-East conference games the past couple of years.

titan33

Quote from: ClutchFactor62 on April 25, 2018, 01:08:53 pm
Coach Uhiren. In 05, the best season according to your list, they were in a conference very similar to the 5A East (Tech, Paragould, Wynne, etc) He had decent success. But in my opinion, they didn't play near the schedule from 05 to 11 as Marion plays now. Beating teams like GCT, Parkview, Paragould,  Blytheville, Forrest City, Hall, Jacksonville, and Searcy (before their recent success) was a much easier feat than beating West Memphis, Pine Bluff, Jonesboro, Searcy,etc.

Check Coach Uhiren's last 2 years running that offense against tougher competition. It wasn't pretty. To me, the thing that has made Marion competitive the past 3 years has been their ability to pass the ball effectively and play outside the box. I get it, any offense can work and there are some successful teams that are extremely run heavy. But for Marion, an equalizer for them was to make the D honor every part of the field to counter having small lineman, and developing QB's that could make plays. Watch them play Pine Bluff, West Memphis, and Jonesboro. They are outsized at every position and it's not even close.

Being from NEA, I'm judging this off the few games I saw them play in conference against Jonesboro and West Memphis. I didn't think there was any way that they had the personnel to run downhill at them all game be effective. But, they had some dang good receivers and skill kids.

I just don't see a coach going to Marion and having sustained success in that conference running a 2-3 back, 1-2 tight offense. Just an observation of their personnel after watching their 6A-East conference games the past couple of years.

Spread ain't getting it done either, something's gotta give. Sounds like they need to hire a head football coach that knows how to win and has won. They need to look for someone who has won a state title before  ::)  and not some guy that's going to do exactly what the last coach did and be below average to average while he's there.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: titan33 on April 25, 2018, 01:21:53 pm
Spread ain't getting it done either, something's gotta give. Sounds like they need to hire a head football coach that knows how to win and has won. They need to look for someone who has won a state title before  ::)  and not some guy that's going to do exactly what the last coach did and be below average to average while he's there.

They improved a lot under the previous coaching staff. So I don't think it's fair to call them below average or even average.

titan33

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 25, 2018, 01:28:43 pm
They improved a lot under the previous coaching staff. So I don't think it's fair to call them below average or even average.

2017 5-7
2016 5-7
2015 5-7

?

game on

Their win/loss says average at best and the teams they have beaten are mostly bad.  That would indicate average or less.  They are going to get better when they improve their overall game, need to be able to run and pass effectively and they have got to play more physical up front on the Oline and across ball on defense. 

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: titan33 on April 25, 2018, 02:11:02 pm
2017 5-7
2016 5-7
2015 5-7

?

You are correct their record improved the past 3 seasons compared to Davis' 1st and to the last 2 season's of Uhiren. 
But you have to look at who they are beating, and how those teams were doing that particular season.
In 2017 teams they beat won a total of 10 games, in 2016 teams they beat won a total of 15 games, in 2014 teams they beat won a total of24 games, in 2014 teams they beat won just 1 game.  Also when you look at those teams you see they were playing down against lower classifications for the majority of those wins.  This means they may not have really been improving because the quality wins are fewer each year. 
Now, if you are smart you will play down to get some wins to help your record as well as your kids confidence but I don't think it shows they were continuing to improve because they are winning the same number of games but the opponents are weaker in each preceeding year

game on

I think it is clear that it's a tough place to win.  Whoever gets the job will have a tough job for sure.  I'd say this, if I were the coach I'd try to pad the schedule if possible to get some early wins and keep working on what you are not good at.  I don't care what they run but they better get real good at it.  Every offense has strengths and in many cases you need the right personnel to take advantage of those inherent strenghts.

ricepig

It's Jimmy's and Joe's, they don't have enough to win at a much higher rate than the have, no matter the offense. They don't have a winning tradition, so it's going to be tough no matter who the next coach is, if the Super can't be satisfied with .500 or a little above, then maybe he needs to coach. He did so wonderfully coaching from the stands when his son played for WM(baseball).

WMWRECKINGCREW

Quote from: ricepig on April 25, 2018, 07:39:25 pm
It's Jimmy's and Joe's, they don't have enough to win at a much higher rate than the have, no matter the offense. They don't have a winning tradition, so it's going to be tough no matter who the next coach is, if the Super can't be satisfied with .500 or a little above, then maybe he needs to coach. He did so wonderfully coaching from the stands when his son played for WM(baseball).
[/quote
Quote from: ricepig on April 25, 2018, 07:39:25 pm
I just think Marion need to create 2 Jr highs so u can develop talent.  Both sports.  They have a 100 kids in 7th grade that turn into 18 by 10th grade.  When u don't play.... U don't want to participate.....Just my opinion.   

ricepig

Quote from: WMWRECKINGCREW on April 25, 2018, 08:03:55 pm
     I just think Marion need to create 2 Jr highs so u can develop talent.  Both sports.  They have a 100 kids in 7th grade that turn into 18 by 10th grade.  When u don't play.... U don't want to participate.....Just my opinion.

No doubt, the more kids you have getting experience, the better your program will be, for the most part. Of course there are exceptions to this, but it's proven to be true for the most part with our Jr high conference.

footballfan-tastic

Any word on this position?  Spring ball is not too far away.

Pat Swilling

Eagle boss

Why is this job taking so long to fill? They had to have had some good candidates for it.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Eagle boss on May 04, 2018, 06:10:33 am
Why is this job taking so long to fill? They had to have had some good candidates for it.

You'd be surprised

GotInfo?

I have heard that they have interviewed at least 12 guys.  But I haven't heard any of the actual names. Everyone is being quiet and won't talk.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on May 04, 2018, 09:23:00 am
You'd be surprised
So does that mean you'd be surprised because; the quality of applicants is so high,  the quality of applicants is not very good, the factors that are affecting the hire that really don't have much direct impact on the coaching aspect of the job?

Pat Swilling

Quote from: GotInfo? on May 04, 2018, 09:36:01 am
I have heard that they have interviewed at least 12 guys.  But I haven't heard any of the actual names. Everyone is being quiet and won't talk.

I've heard 3 really good names from south Arkansas that have applied.  All 3 excellent Coaches.  Not sure what Marion is waiting on.  Potential is there with right fit.

footballfan-tastic

Alias Smith, Jones, and Smith.

game on

Quote from: GotInfo? on May 04, 2018, 09:36:01 am

Isn't that a lot of guys to interview?  I would think that most schools would narrow it down to a manageable number before they interview.

GotInfo?

Usually they would bring in 6-8 and then do call back interviews of 2-3. I had heard that they were planning on interviewing about 8 and then offering off of those because of the time frame. Obviously plans have changed.
I still haven't heard who all has interviewed. Usually word gets out, but it's been really quite.

Pat Swilling

This is a weird deal in Marion.  If I were potential hire I would be cautious with this job.  Lot of Coaches leaving Marion.  I know new AD and Superintendent are in place.  I have heard 3 guys that  applied.  All 3 would be great hires.  They do not seem to be worried about time.

Pat Swilling

Although I'm sure they are just doing their due diligence.

Sporty

Many applicants from Texas and Tennessee so they had to be checked out as far as teacher certification, etc. Not saying that's who will get it but an announcement will prob be made by the end of the week. The Marion assistant coaches are doing a great job with off-season, putting in a lot of time and work with the kids.

Sporty

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: Sporty on May 07, 2018, 09:01:15 am
What do you mean by this?

Nothing really.  Just that's all we know about who.  Nothing, no names, not even good rumor. 

w ballers

Sporty

done deal but school board has to approve

6A_WestFAN

Quote from: Sporty on May 10, 2018, 11:22:54 am
done deal but school board has to approve

Is it N.V?

gameoflife

Pat Swilling

NV would make any school an excellent HFC

6A_WestFAN

gameoflife

That's a top notch guy.

GotInfo?

He would be an excellent hire!!! Problem is guys, the people around him tell me he hasn't heard anything.

GotInfo?

Who have you heard Sporty?

Pat Swilling

Typical feet dragging by marion. I guess they didn't want a coach to direct spring practice

Iknewthemwhen

One thing for sure it has been quiet.  No leaks.  Wouldn't be the first time the guy thought to get the job didn't. Anybody hear any of the names of who they interviewed.

Pantherdaddy

Heard that new supt. makes all athletic decisions

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Pantherdaddy on May 11, 2018, 06:23:41 am
Heard that new supt. makes all athletic decisions
I would if I was supt.

Pat Swilling

An athletic minded supt would have at least 5 names on his wish list PER sport.  That way if a coach leaves he checks his list.  This is a 6A Head Job.  Supt must be prepared for this when the time comes. 

Sporty

May 14, 2018, 11:53:03 am #93 Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 02:21:35 pm by Sporty
 :-[

PulltheTackle

The new hc, who was the dc at the school in Texas, is coming from a program that has gone 3-7 (gave up an ave of 36 ppg), 4-6, and 3-7 the last three years. The guy going to be dc is coming from a school that went 0-10 last year and 1-9 the year before. I would think there were candidates from Arkansas that had better resumes than that.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: PulltheTackle on May 14, 2018, 04:50:04 pm
The new hc, who was the dc at the school in Texas, is coming from a program that has gone 3-7 (gave up an ave of 36 ppg), 4-6, and 3-7 the last three years. The guy going to be dc is coming from a school that went 0-10 last year and 1-9 the year before. I would think there were candidates from Arkansas that had better resumes than that.

Whoa!!   If that is indeed true it seems very odd.  I'd have to see that confirmed to believe it.  Of course schools have this thing about hiring Texas coaches.

footballfan-tastic

Don't the Texas coaches lean toward the 3-4 and the spread?

Pat Swilling

Names?  If this is a done deal then who are the new coaches?

Beaver Fever

It's kinda like reading an article on Yahoo then seeing it again on Fox News.  Half facts, other half made up.  Funny how one guy makes it sound too good to be true and the other lays out facts.

Sporty

Class 2A Bulletin Board Material / Re: Clarendon Head Coach
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:50:27 pm »
Just because you are an assistant coach on a state championship team it doesn't necessarily mean you will be a great head coach. Just like being an assistant coach on a bad team doesn't mean you will be a bad head coach.

quote from Coach Davis--I mean pullthetackle

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas