• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 5a - Revisit of Preseason thoughts

Started by Ranger20, April 27, 2019, 11:17:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger20

Now that we're down to the final week, how has the season played out compared to what you thought or expected to happen (for either boys or girls)?

Ranger20

My Boys Preseason prediction vs Current standing (in order)-

EAST
Pre - Toss up between Jboro, MH & Searcy
Cur - MH, Jboro, Searcy, Nettleton

WEST
Pre - Rville with slight edge over LRCA & SS
Cur - Rville, LRCA, Siloam, Greenbriar

CENTRAL
Pre - Hall (??)
Cur - Sylvan Hills, Hall, Maumelle, White Hall

SOUTH
Pre - ?? (Lakeside won it all last year)
Cur - Hot Springs, Lakeside, El Dorado, Benton (really tight race)

Based on a quick perusal of match results, there doesn't appear to be a decisive clear favorite—which should make for an exciting state tournament. If I was going to bet, however, I would bet on a team from the West to win it all and wouldn't be surprised if the final is 2 West teams.

sssuperpantherfan2

The West has a several good teams but I don't know why the AAA doesn't try to balance good teams to other divisions. The West will continue to be the strongest division having to play the toughest teams. If they spread the teams out a little, you share the strength. 

Buck183

April 28, 2019, 10:22:08 pm #3 Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 10:24:56 pm by Buck183
In the west....

Siloam girls are finishing much better than I anticipated.  LRC and Greenbrier were not a surprise to me. 

For the boys, Siloam is right in the mix where I thought they would be with LRC and Rville both as expected.

Benton girls in the south are right where we all anticipated them being at this point in the season. They simply outclass that entire conference.  In recent years they have shown to back up their stats with strong runs in the playoffs. 

In the east for the girls see the same thing I've seen every year.  The same 2-3 teams that look like powerhouses going into playoffs only to find out they've been pillow fighting all year long and they get crushed in the playoffs by teams from the west that get to play soccer during conference play. 
The only difference about this year vs years past is that they used to do it in 6A and now they're 5A.

slawdawg millionaire

The 5A boys tournament could mirror the boys basketball tourney where almost every match could be an all-out war. I say there are as many as 10-11 teams with legitimate shots at the state title. With no clear favorite, there could be some incredible soccer next week in Searcy.

The 5A girls aren't nearly as deep, but the semifinals and finals could be something special. I particularly love the fact that Benton and Searcy, likely the top seeds in the South and East, will be on the same side of the bracket as the West 2- and 3-seeds. The early matches will be the ones to watch in White County.

Ranger20

So much of the competitive difference is cultural and the NWA corner, for whatever reason(s), has really embraced the sport far more than the rest of the state—and it shows even in their media coverage.

Go Postal

Question:  Does the teams or players in the NWA also play in Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma for high school and club all year?  Just curious.

sssuperpantherfan2

Our club teams will play OK teams around Tulsa and surrounding areas. The HS teams will host tournaments like in Bentonville that brought teams from OK City.

Buck183

Quote from: Go Postal on April 29, 2019, 04:34:12 pm
Question:  Does the teams or players in the NWA also play in Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma for high school and club all year?  Just curious.

Our school team plays Oklahoma teams quite often.  Usually 2-3 a year if not more.  We occasionally come across a Missouri or Kansas team in a tournament. 

Our club team played all over the midwest from as far north as Omaha, to as far south as Houston, and everything in between.  Memphis, Birmingham, KC, Dallas, OKC, you name it.  Seeing teams from Colorado, Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, wasn't uncommon. 

Colt

So after seeing most of the regular season come to a close, who has a at winning it all?

CentralARFutbol

Quote from: Colt on May 03, 2019, 07:38:21 am
So after seeing most of the regular season come to a close, who has a at winning it all?

Most likely boys teams to win in my opinion:

1. Russellville
2. LRCA
3. Siloam
4. Mountain Home
5. Jonesboro

Colt

How do the teams from the South (Hot Springs, Lakeside, Benton) stack up vs the West? They look good on paper, but haven't seen anything to really compare the two. I think the winner of MH/West 2 will play the West 1 in the finals.

Ranger20

I think Russellville, LRCA, and Siloam will be the best boys teams on the field, regardless of whoever wins it. But I think Lakeside, Hot Springs, Benton, MH, Jonesboro, Searcy, Sylvan Hills and Hall all have a realistic chance of hoisting the cup this year—especially when factoring in officiating, weather, injury, matchups, lucky/unlucky bounces, etc. So I'll "go out on a limb" and predict one or more will advance by luck/call/no call and the other will be really upset about it! 😂

CentralARFutbol

Quote from: Colt on May 03, 2019, 09:03:01 am
How do the teams from the South (Hot Springs, Lakeside, Benton) stack up vs the West? They look good on paper, but haven't seen anything to really compare the two. I think the winner of MH/West 2 will play the West 1 in the finals.

I could see it playing out that way for sure!

South is really down compared to last year. Lakeside, Hot Springs, and Benton were all much stronger teams last year. I do not see any team from the South winning it this year.  I am thinking it will be only teams from the West and East in the semifinals and finals. Crazier things have happened though.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas