• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A West Conference

Started by sssuperpantherfan2, March 13, 2019, 06:09:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sssuperpantherfan2

The 5A West is showing to be the toughest in the state with Greenbrier, LRCA,  Russellville, Greenwood and Siloam.  SS starts the gauntlet of their schedule tomorrow night with Greenbrier who was undefeated till last nights shoot out against LRCA. Then we play Greenwood, LRCA and Russellville.  We have 5 teams competing for 4 slots in the playoffs to state. One team is getting the shaft by not doing a playoff tournament and weaker teams get in the action. I recommend they consider bringing back the tournament!  It's the only fair way to to get the best teams playing for the title. Team strength will vary from year to year, changing the conference teams around is not a fair option because of yearly talent add and take away. We will see how this season plays out and hope everyone stays healthy but the 5A West teams will be hurting without the playoffs  and it doesn't promote the best of Arkansas soccer.

VHSCoach2

I'd argue that the Vilonia girls will be making it six teams vying for four playoff spots, but perhaps I'm a little biased.

sssuperpantherfan2

They could be a better team than those going to the playoffs in other conferences.

hurricanes1

Without better teams in the east, I'm afraid our boys won't have much competition to get ready for State. That really puts us at a disadvantage. I wish we were scheduled for some tougher games.

sssuperpantherfan2

Play up or down against tough teams, go to another state. The coaches are responsible for scheduling and can find them. SS will play in 6A tournaments that will have teams from Edmond, Oklahoma,  3 of them were real tough and one moderate. Get on the bus and travel to make your team better.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: sssuperpantherfan2 on March 13, 2019, 07:30:36 am
They could be a better team than those going to the playoffs in other conferences.

Or better than some teams that you mentioned.

hurricanes1

Quote from: sssuperpantherfan2 on March 13, 2019, 05:35:34 pm
Play up or down against tough teams, go to another state. The coaches are responsible for scheduling and can find them. SS will play in 6A tournaments that will have teams from Edmond, Oklahoma,  3 of them were real tough and one moderate. Get on the bus and travel to make your team better.

Not the coach, so that's not my call. I'm just saying that I wish we'd play some tougher teams to try to prepare for the post season.

ArkansasSportsFan

Quote from: hurricanes1 on March 14, 2019, 10:35:18 am
Not the coach, so that's not my call. I'm just saying that I wish we'd play some tougher teams to try to prepare for the post season.

I assume it's jonesboro that we're talking about? I think you only get like 2 tournaments and a couple non conference games. So in conference youve got Searcy and Mt. Home twice which isn't bad, Valley View, and then games against Cabot, Searcy, and Hamburg in tournaments. That's not bad, it's the conference that's not any good but unfortunately can't do anything about that.

VHSCoach2

Impressive wins by Greenbrier last night.

At the conclusion of tonight's matches (Russellville at Beebe, Vilonia at Greenwood), the Russellville boys could be a full game ahead, plus hold the tie-breaker over second-place Greenbrier. Vilonia/Greenwood are facing off to see who gets their first conference win. If Beebe boys pull the upset, that jumbles up the boys side with a bunch of 2-1 teams and head-to-head victories all over the place.

On the girls side, a win by Russellville over Beebe would get the Lady Cyclones their second conference win. Beebe is looking for their first conference win. In the Vilonia/Greenwood match, if Vilonia wins by any amount, the Lady Eagles head into Spring Break in a first-place tie with LRCA, but the Lady Eagles would be in the one spot due to tiebreaker points. Greenwood is searching for their first conference win.

Sir Alex

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on March 15, 2019, 09:20:27 am
Impressive wins by Greenbrier last night.

At the conclusion of tonight's matches (Russellville at Beebe, Vilonia at Greenwood), the Russellville boys could be a full game ahead, plus hold the tie-breaker over second-place Greenbrier. Vilonia/Greenwood are facing off to see who gets their first conference win. If Beebe boys pull the upset, that jumbles up the boys side with a bunch of 2-1 teams and head-to-head victories all over the place.

On the girls side, a win by Russellville over Beebe would get the Lady Cyclones their second conference win. Beebe is looking for their first conference win. In the Vilonia/Greenwood match, if Vilonia wins by any amount, the Lady Eagles head into Spring Break in a first-place tie with LRCA, but the Lady Eagles would be in the one spot due to tiebreaker points. Greenwood is searching for their first conference win.

It is double round robin correct?

sssuperpantherfan2

Greenwood over Vilonia VG 4-1 from Maxpreps.

sssuperpantherfan2

VG will a tough call so far, SS defeats LRCA at LR in a shootout, we beat GW 1-0, lost to GB in a shootout.   Several teams fighting for the top spot and evenly matched.

Buck183

So here we are getting ready to start he second half of conference play for the season. I've been reading the replies to this thread with intrigue.  Saw some early replies that were making statements.   I have to ask one thing after all the teams have played each one time. 

What was seen in the Vilonia girl's that made us think they were better than the teams mentioned in the original post?

Each team mentioned not only beat them, but beat them handily.  Yet the original poster was an idiot for his comments?

Sir Alex

Quote from: Buck183 on April 09, 2019, 07:39:48 pm
So here we are getting ready to start he second half of conference play for the season. I've been reading the replies to this thread with intrigue.  Saw some early replies that were making statements.   I have to ask one thing after all the teams have played each one time. 

What was seen in the Vilonia girl's that made us think they were better than the teams mentioned in the original post?

Each team mentioned not only beat them, but beat them handily.  Yet the original poster was an idiot for his comments?

Wishful thinking?

Buck183

Quote from: Sir Alex on April 09, 2019, 08:06:22 pm
Wishful thinking?

Possibly.  I'm always down with some good smack talking.  As the saying goes, you're not talking .... if you can back it up.   

Sir Alex

Quote from: Buck183 on April 09, 2019, 08:58:19 pm
Possibly.  I'm always down with some good smack talking.  As the saying goes, you're not talking .... if you can back it up.

Vilonia has made strides over the last few years as has Greenbrier and Greenwood. Top two teams in this conference are LR Christian and Siloam in no particular order. Last year's Siloam girls team wins this conference hands down but this is a new year. Look forward to hearing all about the 2nd half of the conference season.

sssuperpantherfan2

April 10, 2019, 09:11:12 am #16 Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:05:31 am by sssuperpantherfan2
GW brought in a great goalie, very good athlete  and will be playing D1 volleyball. We had a bunch of shots but didn't give her much of a workout, her only error was coming out of the net to try to stop a ball and we got it passed her.

Buck183

Quote from: Sir Alex on April 09, 2019, 10:22:57 pm
Vilonia has made strides over the last few years as has Greenbrier and Greenwood. Top two teams in this conference are LR Christian and Siloam in no particular order. Last year's Siloam girls team wins this conference hands down but this is a new year. Look forward to hearing all about the 2nd half of the conference season.

I think you hit every nail on the head perfectly with those comments. 

sssuperpantherfan2

I wasn't expecting SS to fair as well as they have so far not knowing have the younger players would perform, I'm impressed with our team. The conference realignment has been a surprise as well, we welcome good competition and there is no shortage in this conference, Vilonia did put up a fight a got 2 goals on us. I hate that 5 good teams are battling for 4 spots to state.

sssuperpantherfan2

I see LRCA VG take down GW 6-0 last night. Was GW missing their all star goalie or did LRCA play them that well? I know GW defense isn't that tough except the goalie.

VHSCoach2

Conference results from 4/12:

Alma @ Vilonia:

Girls: Vilonia 7, Alma 1
Boys: Alma 5, Vilonia 1

Greenbrier @ Russellville:

Girls: Russellville 2, Greenbrier 1
Boys: Russellville 2, Greenbrier 0

Beebe @ Siloam Springs:

Girls: Siloam Springs 6, Beebe 0
Boys: Siloam Springs 8, Beebe 1

Greenwood @ LRCA:

Girls: LRCA 6, Greenwood 0
Boys: LRCA 6, Greenwood 0

sssuperpantherfan2

Current standings for the 5A West

VG
SS
LRCA
GB
Russ
GW
VL
Alma
BB

VB
Russ
LRCA
SS
GB
GW
BB
Alma
VL

VHSCoach2

April 17, 2019, 07:07:25 am #22 Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:05:06 pm by VHSCoach2
Results from 4/16:

Vilonia at Beebe:

Girls: Vilonia 7, Beebe 0
Boys: Beebe 7, Vilonia 2

LRCA at Greenbrier:

Girls: LRCA 2, Greenbrier 0
Boys: LRCA 1, Greenbrier 0

Siloam Springs at Alma:

Girls: Siloam Springs 9, Alma 0
Boys: Siloam Springs 6, Alma 0

Russellville at Greenwood:

Girls: Russellville 3, Greenwood 2
Boys: Russellville 1, Greenwood 0

Rocket23

VHSCoach2

VHSCoach2

Updated conference standings after 4/16:

Girls:

1. Siloam Springs --- 8-1, 19 TB Points
2. LRCA               --- 8-1, 17 TB Points
3. Russellville       --- 6-3, 13 TB Points
4. Greenbrier       ---  6-3, 12 TB Points
5. Vilonia             --- 4-5, 12 TB points
6. Greenwood       --- 3-6, 9 TB points
7. Alma                --- 1-8, 1 TB Point
8. Beebe               --- 0-9

Boys:

1. Russellville       --- 8-1, 18 TB Points
2. LRCA                --- 7-2, 16 TB Points (currently hold H2H over Siloam)
3. Siloam Springs  --- 7-2, 19 TB Points
4. Greenbrier        --- 5-4, 12 TB Points
5. Greenwood       --- 4-5, 10 TB Points
6. Beebe               --- 3-6, 8 TB Points
7. Alma                 --- 2-7, 6 TB Points
8. Vilonia              --- 0-9

sssuperpantherfan2

GW moved ahead of VL on the girls side with the shootout win. Was GW missing their volleyball athletic goalie?

VHSCoach2

Quote from: sssuperpantherfan2 on April 20, 2019, 08:17:35 am
GW moved ahead of VL on the girls side with the shootout win. Was GW missing their volleyball athletic goalie?

Both teams were missing their starting GKs.

VHSCoach2

Based on recent results, if my math is correct:

Girls: Siloam, LRCA, and Russellville have clinched a playoff spot. Greenbrier and Greenwood are still alive, but Greenbrier has a three-game lead and the head-to-head tiebreaker over Greenwood with three to play.

Boys: Russellville, LRCA, and Siloam have clinched a playoff spot. Greenbrier, Greenwood, and Beebe are still alive. Greenbrier has a one-game lead on Greenwood and a three-game lead on Beebe. Greenwood holds a two-game lead over Beebe. Greenwood holds the tiebreaker over both, while Greenbrier holds it over Beebe.

Buck183

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on April 24, 2019, 08:31:17 am

Girls: Siloam, LRCA, and Russellville have clinched a playoff spot. Greenbrier and Greenwood are still alive, but Greenbrier has a three-game lead and the head-to-head tiebreaker over Greenwood with three to play.

Boys: Russellville, LRCA, and Siloam have clinched a playoff spot. Greenbrier, Greenwood, and Beebe are still alive. Greenbrier has a one-game lead on Greenwood and a three-game lead on Beebe. Greenwood holds a two-game lead over Beebe. Greenwood holds the tiebreaker over both, while Greenbrier holds it over Beebe.

Interesting the both boys and girls are almost identical to each other. 

Go Postal

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on April 24, 2019, 08:31:17 am

I wonder what it would look like with the Lady Goblins (17-3-1) and the Goblins (14-4-1) were still in the mix this season?

Buck183

Quote from: Go Postal on April 24, 2019, 05:54:08 pm
I wonder what it would look like with the Lady Goblins (17-3-1) and the Goblins (14-4-1) were still in the mix this season?

I'm quite sure they would both be in the top four.

sssuperpantherfan2

When AAA changed the school classifications, first thing I did, went to the list and looked to see if Harrison would join our fun. Needless to i was disappointed but still enjoy the rivalry.  I'm just glad my kids have have a "When we played Harrison..." story! :D

VHSCoach2

If Harrison were in the conference, it would have likely pushed LRCA to the Central. So, Harrison would have probably been in the top 4 while LRCA would have blown through the other teams in the Central.

Go Postal

Quote from: sssuperpantherfan2 on April 25, 2019, 05:47:19 am
When AAA changed the school classifications, first thing I did, went to the list and looked to see if Harrison would join our fun. Needless to i was disappointed but still enjoy the rivalry.  I'm just glad my kids have have a "When we played Harrison..." story! :D
I did the same thing on the list for that too and also see if Harrison could welcome in Alma to soccer.
A lot of newcomers might not remember the Siloam Spring Panthers / Harrison Goblins 5A rivalry that we had in all sports.
For instance in,
2008 football, the Goblins beat #1 Greenwood at Greenwood by 3 points in a 99 point game but did not beat the Panthers.  Harrison finished the season 7-3 and did not go to the playoffs but SS did because of H2H win.

Basketball,  Both teams were even against each other on H2H and it came down to points on the last game of conference play.  SS had to have a win on the last game with the (?) Devil Dogs to go to the playoffs unless Harrison won by 10 against a very good Alma team.  The Panthers won, but the GOBS won in a 99 to 89 point game.  Harrison went to playoffs, Siloam Springs stayed home.

Soccer, back in 2004-08, the best 5A boys teams were PA, LRCA, CAC, Siloam Springs and Harrison.  The Goblins were also the State Champs in 2002 and 2003.  The Panthers and the Goblins were in the 5A West conference.  Both had outstanding players on their teams.  {For instance, here is a pic from the paper of D. Sims making a upside down bicycle kick for a goal.)

But the best Siloam Springs Panthers and Harrison Goblins game was probably in 2005 when Harrison makes a winning goal in the last seconds to win the 5A State Championship game.  The next 2 years I saw that Siloam Springs Panthers fans were wearing t-shirts that read...

This brought back memories of my son playing in multiple sports against Siloam.  Here is my son's Pick 6 in his last football game in the Fall of '09 on Harrison's Senior night vs Siloam Springs.

https://youtu.be/2lkoTvTcGKI?list=PL2QTEhvMCGhM05eUyjOvx6cDFXUJaHNJs

Good Times

Buck183

Quote from: Go Postal on April 28, 2019, 04:21:33 pm
I did the same thing on the list for that too and also see if Harrison could welcome in Alma to soccer.
A lot of newcomers might not remember the Siloam Spring Panthers / Harrison Goblins 5A rivalry that we had in all sports.
For instance in,
2008 football, the Goblins beat #1 Greenwood at Greenwood by 3 points in a 99 point game but did not beat the Panthers.  Harrison finished the season 7-3 and did not go to the playoffs but SS did because of H2H win.

Basketball,  Both teams were even against each other on H2H and it came down to points on the last game of conference play.  SS had to have a win on the last game with the (?) Devil Dogs to go to the playoffs unless Harrison won by 10 against a very good Alma team.  The Panthers won, but the GOBS won in a 99 to 89 point game.  Harrison went to playoffs, Siloam Springs stayed home.

Soccer, back in 2004-08, the best 5A boys teams were PA, LRCA, CAC, Siloam Springs and Harrison.  The Goblins were also the State Champs in 2002 and 2003.  The Panthers and the Goblins were in the 5A West conference.  Both had outstanding players on their teams.  {For instance, here is a pic from the paper of D. Sims making a upside down bicycle kick for a goal.)

But the best Siloam Springs Panthers and Harrison Goblins game was probably in 2005 when Harrison makes a winning goal in the last seconds to win the 5A State Championship game.  The next 2 years I saw that Siloam Springs Panthers fans were wearing t-shirts that read...

This brought back memories of my son playing in multiple sports against Siloam.  Here is my son's Pick 6 in his last football game in the Fall of '09 on Harrison's Senior night vs Siloam Springs.

https://youtu.be/2lkoTvTcGKI?list=PL2QTEhvMCGhM05eUyjOvx6cDFXUJaHNJs

Good Times

In my world anyone not remembering these two schools go at it in the 3A conference would be a newcomer.  🙂

VHSCoach2

The four girls teams are set for the playoffs: LRCA, Siloam, Russellville, Greenbrier. Seeding can still change a bit.

Three of the four boys teams are set: Russellville, LRCA, Siloam. Greenbrier and Greenwood, if they both win today/tomorrow, will play a win or go home game on Friday.

VHSCoach2

Beebe boys got a 2-0 win over Greenbrier last night. That puts Greenbrier at 7-6 in conference. Greenwood is also 7-6. Greenwood holds the head-to-head tiebreaker over Greenbrier. This Friday, Greenwood travels to Greenbrier in a win or go home match. Greenbrier streams the games on their YouTube channel for anyone interested.

Go Postal

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 01, 2019, 07:42:01 am
Beebe boys got a 2-0 win over Greenbrier last night. That puts Greenbrier at 7-6 in conference. Greenwood is also 7-6. Greenwood holds the head-to-head tiebreaker over Greenbrier. This Friday, Greenwood travels to Greenbrier in a win or go home match. Greenbrier streams the games on their YouTube channel for anyone interested.
What's the link name on YouTube?

VHSCoach2

Russellville girls beat Siloam Springs last night, which means LRCA girls are Conference Champions.

The boys side is even more interesting now. Siloam Springs beat Russellville, which means Russellville and LRCA are both 11-2 in conference. The winner of Friday's match will be Conference Champions.

jimmyt

If LRCA wins, could Russellville boys fall to the 3 seed?

Colt

Yes, if LRCA wins, they would be conference champions as only team with 2 losses. Russellville and Siloam each would have 3, and Siloam holds head to head, earning the 2 seed, leaving Russellville as a 3.

futbolsoccer

In their first game at LRCA, Cyclones won 4-0 on the boys side.
So would see what happens tomorrow.

VHSCoach2

Final State Seedings:

Girls:
1) LR Christian
2) Siloam Springs
3) Russellville
4) Greenbrier

Boys:
1) Russellville
2) LR Christian
3) Siloam Springs