• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who are the top ten girls in 6A Basketball?

Started by mhfcharlesi, November 21, 2013, 01:02:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mhfcharlesi

urban legend2

You'd probably have to go with Greenwood right now at No. 1 based on what they have returning. Hall at No. 2., Parkview No. 3, Pine Bluff No. 4...those would be the top 4 right now I think.

Blindsided

BHS1989

Keep an eye on Benton this year. Had some good players transfer in this summer that will help them tremendously!! Will prob be the biggest team they've had

BigBobB

Benton picked up Skyler Davis,(5'4") point guard from Bryant and Ann Marie Burchfield(6'3"), post fromSouthwest Christian. They are already producing in the pre-season. Skyler is working out the kinks in running the offense and is pretty solid outside shooter. Ann Marie is very strong and a solid defender and will eventually hit her stride. Both girls are gaining national attention from their summer ball (Skyler-AR Elite and Ann Marie-AR Lady Hawks). I know Duke University is one of the schools that recently contacted BHS to get Ann Marie's transcripts. They're still a little young to be actively recruited and they've got 3 years ahead of them to grow but I think coach Chumley will get where they need to be. Ought to be a fun year.

SNWA

There will be a few of them on display tonight in Conway....In my opinion anyway.

DogsWin7

Quote from: SNWA on November 26, 2013, 07:36:29 am
There will be a few of them on display tonight in Conway....In my opinion anyway.

I agree.  Henson, Williams and few others make a great team for Lady Bulldogs.

The Gooch

Quote from: SNWA on November 26, 2013, 07:36:29 am

greenwood people know very little :-\

MarionBlueDevil

Not sure how good Parkview is this year, but Marion gave them a game at the Arena last night.

SNWA

w ballers

Forrest City H

Quote from: BigBobB on November 25, 2013, 11:07:36 am
Benton picked up Skyler Davis,(5'4") point guard from Bryant and Ann Marie Burchfield(6'3"), post fromSouthwest Christian. They are already producing in the pre-season. Skyler is working out the kinks in running the offense and is pretty solid outside shooter. Ann Marie is very strong and a solid defender and will eventually hit her stride. Both girls are gaining national attention from their summer ball (Skyler-AR Elite and Ann Marie-AR Lady Hawks). I know Duke University is one of the schools that recently contacted BHS to get Ann Marie's transcripts. They're still a little young to be actively recruited and they've got 3 years ahead of them to grow but I think coach Chumley will get where they need to be. Ought to be a fun year.

I watched Vilonia girls beat Benton this week at the Cabot tournament, and don't recall a 6'3" girl....I kind of remember a really big girl, but don't remember her scoring any - is the transfer you describe here still with the team??

BigBobB

She comes off the bench.  She's young and has a lot to learn, plus, there are a lot of talented upper classmen on the team.  I don't believe she even took a shot in the Vilonia game.  The girls didn't play very well, nor did they play well in the next one and dropped one to Searcy (who they beat by 14 just weeks earlier).  I'm hoping it was the layoff due to the weather or just fatigue because of the late out of town game...but at any rate, it's still early in the season and hopefully these girls will gel.  Allison Reynolds is the only senior starter.  She's a fine athlete and great leader.  Braxton Chumley, Braylee Landreth, and Ashley Dittleman are all juniors and are very good ball players.  Skyler Davis is the only Sophomore starter and she runs point.  They are all confident shooting from the perimeter.  Burchfield brings more defense than offense to the table right now.  She's learning a whole new scheme and figuring out the game at the 6A level.  She came from a smaller conference where she averaged almost 18 pts. a game. Once Burchfield learns to post up more effectively at this level, she'll give the guards a big target to hit inside.  She's tall but a little thin.  She's working on picking up weight and muscle which will help her battle better in the paint.   Last night they beat Springdale at home which makes Benton 4-2. The girls looked like they were working better together and it produced a victory.  Well see how the rest of the season goes.

Blindsided

I haven't been giving Benton much credit, and I still think Greenwood is the team to beat in 6A girls, but if Reynolds, Landreth, Chumley, Davis and the rest of them can play together, they could give GW a game.

BigBobB

From everything that I've been reading Greenwood is loaded and well coached.  Benton will have to bring their A game that's for sure.  Let's just hope they get that far to see what happens.  I know that several of Benton's players played volleyball and lost in the state championship game.  It was a bitter loss and these girls are looking for redemption in basketball.  Coach Chumley will help get them there.  He's a great coach and has some talent to work with.  His bench isn't very deep, but the ones he has, I think he'll find a way to win with. 

1umberjack$

The two top teams in 6A participated in the Conway tournament this week...Greenwood and LR Hall.  Benton would be a decent 5A team but they should not be mentioned the same conversation as GW and Hall; especially if they lost to Vilonia...they also had to go to OT to beat Greenbrier over in Searcy.
If Williams is on no team in 6A can beat Greenwood and Hall lost to Conway in OT this week 92-91.  Then there is still Parkview and Searcy to throw in there somewhere ahead of Benton.

BigBobB

That's a great point.  However, Benton lost to Vilonia by 3 and Searcy by 2 at the buzzer.  This is a team that is still learning to play together.  I wouldn't discount their athleticism and ability to find a way to win.  GW and Hall have a lot of talent but you never know until you play--that's why you blow the whistle and tip off.  It's still early yet.  We'll see how the season plays out.  It ought to be interesting.

Blindsided

I certainly don't think that Benton could beat GW, I've said that here more than once.  All I'm saying is, since I've seen them play a couple of times now, I feel they can make it a game.  They definitely would need to play well.  Watching them, and seeing how their coach is demanding team play and discipline, makes me feel they can get there if the players buy in.  The Searcy loss was a fluke.  Benton beat Searcy 70-59 on Searcy's home floor a couple of weeks ago, and Vilonia couldn't have shot it any better.  Don't count Benton out in the 6A tournament.

SNWA

urban legend2

The first of at least three games between those two. I expect them to probably split the next two.

tlb2972

Searcy lost was a fluke huh? U failed to mention the first game Benton was down 10 until the starting post and point guard fouled out. Sencond game starting point guard was on the bench most of the game in foul trouble. I think teams are good.

Blindsided

"Fluke" might not be the word to use there, but I just feel if Benton and Searcy played 10 times, Benton would win 9 of them.  They are very balanced and play with a lot more discipline.  Searcy showed some character though by coming back from the halftime deficit.  I thought Benton hurt themselves more than Searcy did.  Those two teams will be tough outs in the 6A Tournament.

tlb2972

Hopefully we will see the season is still early to be putting searcy losing nine times. This is a totally different searcy team than we have seen In the past few years.

Forrest City H

Vilonia also beat Searcy tonight at the Battle of the Brier tournament in Greenbrier - so that's at least one 5A team (Vilonia) that is better than both Searcy and Benton, and I'm sure there are others.  The statement about Benton beating Searcy "9 out of 10" is pretty comical.  My observation was that Searcy has the slightly more talented team, and Benton has the slightly better coach.  They are more like "tossups" every time they play....

Having said that, neither one of them should be able to challenge Greenwood until after Lunden Williams graduates.  Haven't seen Hall or Parkview this year, but I assume they are formidable as well.   

ahsalum

Kinney. From VB. Only an 8th grader. But I would put her in this group. No BS either.

DogsWin7

The Greenwood Lady Bulldogs had a huge win over Bentonville!   

Where is SNWA with the report??  :)

SNWA

Won By 14. Lundon Went Off For 30. Played Next Day In Branson And Beat Poplar Bluf Mo. By about 50. It Was 32 To 2 After 1St Qtr.

BigBobB

Quote from: Forrest City H on December 19, 2013, 08:03:34 pm
Vilonia also beat Searcy tonight at the Battle of the Brier tournament in Greenbrier - so that's at least one 5A team (Vilonia) that is better than both Searcy and Benton, and I'm sure there are others.  The statement about Benton beating Searcy "9 out of 10" is pretty comical.  My observation was that Searcy has the slightly more talented team, and Benton has the slightly better coach.  They are more like "tossups" every time they play....

Having said that, neither one of them should be able to challenge Greenwood until after Lunden Williams graduates.  Haven't seen Hall or Parkview this year, but I assume they are formidable as well.

Benton did lose to both Vilonia and Searcy by a combined 5 points.  They have since gone on to beat a very good Springdale team and a decent Hot Springs and Jonesboro team.  Just watching them play, it looks like the Benton girls are starting to get a feel for each other.  They're a pretty scrappy team.  Skyler Davis is a very good outside shooter and Braylee Landreth is a tenacious inside shooter.  All of these girls will definitely out hustle most teams.  They just don't lay down; even when they're down by a considerable amount.  Coach Chumley's top 6 players are all pretty equal and will get after you for the entire game.  A lot of fun to watch. 

mhfcharlesi

Does Hall have any big names off the state champion team from last year?

urban legend2

They lost their big names in Scaife and Webber and Coffey's gone, too. But Taylor Collins is still there and they got Shakyla Hill from Jacksonville (their second leading scorer behind Jackson last year). They brought a few others back who can score and they showed flashes of that last year, but their scoring wasn't needed as much with Scaife there. This year, they're scoring and they're playing well from what I have seen.

brock

Mike Love

DogsWin7

Wasn't sure where to mention this but felt it needed to be....Prayers to the HB Stewart Family and all of Greenwood.   I am sure all are aware of the impact he had in the lives of athletes and everyone he knew.   

1umberjack$

Quote from: brock on January 01, 2014, 09:51:27 am
How is Siloam Springs looking?
Siloam Springs is decent.  They may sneak up on an unsuspecting team.  They will definitely beat who that are supposed to beat.

Blindsided

Quote from: Forrest City H on December 19, 2013, 08:03:34 pm

All these teams are good teams.  Each one could beat the other on any given night.  Yes, Vilonia has beaten Benton and Searcy, both games close.  Yes, Benton has beaten Searcy on their home floor by double digits, then Searcy beat Benton by 2 on a neutral floor.  Beebe, another good team, beat Vilonia by double digits, then Benton goes to Beebe and beats them.  Vilonia beat Benton by 4 in the Cabot Tournament.  Benton has also beaten Hot Springs by 20, who has beaten a loaded Malvern team, and CAC.  It just shows you that rankings are arguable until much later in the season, and any of these good teams can beat the other.  You can't say that any of these teams are BETTER than the other, maybe on one night they are.  However, you can say that about Greenwood.  They are flat out better than anyone in 6A, IMO.

urban legend2

It won't be a cakewalk to the 6A title for Greenwood, and I'm pretty sure they know that. They beat Hall by 10 earlier this year, but still have two games left against them. They have to go to Parkview as well. On a neutral floor come tournament time, anything can happen in a win or go home scenario.

SNWA

You are 100% correct. It is a fight every night in this league. Hall and Parkview both are more than capable of knocking us off on any court. If you can survive and get the #1 or #2 seed in state is huge. It is almost better to get the #2 seed in state just so you don't see one of the 3 til the finals.

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: SNWA on January 15, 2014, 01:47:01 pm
You are 100% correct. It is a fight every night in this league. Hall and Parkview both are more than capable of knocking us off on any court. If you can survive and get the #1 or #2 seed in state is huge. It is almost better to get the #2 seed in state just so you don't see one of the 3 til the finals.

I saw Parkview in Marion at at the Wynne Holiday Tournament and I wasn't blown away. They have a few big-time players, but maybe they haven't gelled yet?

urban legend2

From what I have seen, they've got a legit scorer in Holloway and 2-3 others that play their roles and contribute. They did get Davey back after the Christmas break, which gives them an inside presence. But they're a dangerous team because they not as noted this year as in year's past. Saw them a couple times, including beating a pretty good Central team.

SNWA

They are not the team that they were last year but I think they are capable of putting it together on any given night.

Blindsided

The Democrat's rankings are comical.  How is Searcy still ranked ahead of Marion when the Lady Patriots blew Searcy out? 

DogsWin7

The Greenwood Lady Bulldogs defeated Russellville 55-23.   

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: Blindsided on January 20, 2014, 07:08:31 pm
The Democrat's rankings are comical.  How is Searcy still ranked ahead of Marion when the Lady Patriots blew Searcy out?

I would have agreed at this time last week. Marion's fallen on hard times now :(

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas