• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

JC success/dominance

Started by POWERCAT PRIDE, December 05, 2018, 01:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

POWERCAT PRIDE

OK this is one for the JC dad's, alumni, former players, close followers, etc.  Much has been made on this forum about the success of JC is due to their ability to pull in Louisiana kids.  True or not, that is not what this thread is going to be about, so lets keep that speculation separate...unless it's actually from someone "in the know" that honestly thinks the LA kids contribute that much. 

So with all that said...JC is playing for their 7th title since 2003, plus the fact they have been runner two of those years if my stats are correct. That's pretty impressive.  That's PA and GW impressive.  So why is JC dominant? And let's not throw out the old cliche's of "want it more, work hard, etc".  Is it genetics? Is it system, coaching, scheme, tradition? JC is a small school that doesn't have move-ins like other larger schools, so they are doing it with kids that had parents, grandpappies, uncles etc. play there. Lets discuss...

Dragon I

Carpenter
Weight room
Conditioning

All of these together made the Tradition that you now see.  Kids don't know how to lose.  It starts in elementary school.  We did the same warm ups in 1st grade PE that the high school boys used.  Success in football has rolled over into all the other sports.

Dragon93

Also...JC has a peewee program that teaches these kids football at a early age...weight room, weight room, yes and more in the weight room...

POWERCAT PRIDE

OK Dragon I, playing devil's advocate here. Not discounting what you said. So I can take 50 random kids per year,  beginning in first grade,  in another town, hire a good coach, put them in the weight room and condition the h#ll out of them starting in 1st grade and in 15 years we can have 6 state titles?

THA TRUTH

No it takes talent as well but the talent had always been there... it was when coach put the weight program and conditioning program together that things truly started to change

Always a dragon

I agree with all that is stated above, also like to add the support of the parents and community.....even at the pee wee level the kids have the mentality they they're going to win championships....

bleudog

December 05, 2018, 03:03:12 pm #6 Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:51:01 am by bleudog
Carpenter turned the program around in the late 90's.  Junction was lucky enough that he decided to stay at JC for as long as he did when he had Lord knows how many opportunities to go elsewhere.

Carpenter got the kids and community to buy in to what he wanted to do.

He made sure his teams were stronger than their opponents and the school has the weight lifting titles to prove that too.

He put his team through preseason training that was intense enough to make sure they were still able to go 100% late in the game.  I had one former player tell me boot camp was easy compared to county fair.

He made sure the jr high was running the same system as the sr high so by the time they were seniors they could run plays in their sleep.  When he started at JC, there was no pee wee football and, bless their hearts, sometimes kids learn stuff in pee wee that has to be unlearned in school football.

Regular playoff runs can perpetuate themselves.  I'd guess everybody brings 9th graders up when the jr high season is over, but at some schools that means practice for and possible playing time in two games.  Over half the time since 2003, those 9th graders have practiced for seven games a year.  Plus, mercy rule wins give the average 10th and 11th graders a chance to get in games.  Those two things help better prepare the underclassmen to be better players as seniors.

Early the playbook wasn't very diverse. A lot of 2A coaches were going to a spread when most small schools were lucky enough that any given year they might have a good throwing QB but no receivers.  Another year they might have great receivers but nobody who could throw the ball to them and once every four years they had both.  Carpenter's stuck with right halfback left and left half back right.  It wasn't fancy, but his players practiced those plays not until they got them right, but until they couldn't get them wrong. It's a lot more effective to train lineman and find running backs than it is to hope your find a throwing QB and gifted receivers in your school in the same year.

He had a staff of coaches who knew what they were doing and could teach technique to overcome lack of speed and size on the line.

Usually had a big back or at least a fast back (sometimes both) who could tote the rock. 

This has nothing to do with LA (as the ADE and AAA count them - they all live within what most reasonable people would consider school district distance from JC's campus - and the are not picking and choosing schools), but during the last 20+ years there have been enough kids walking the halls that JC has usually been one of the larger schools in 2A.  That and a high participation rate within the school has usually allowed for roster sizes that can be intimidating enough to some opponents.   And if the opponent isn't intimidated getting off the bus, having a decent number of kids to draw from and getting them out sure helps in practice and games. 

The kids developed an attitude (or fear) that each new team didn't want to be the one that derailed the train.

With the exception of Carpenter, none of the above is unique to JC, but they are usually things common to successful small school programs.

cav2012

December 05, 2018, 03:20:54 pm #7 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 03:25:12 pm by cav2012
LA

dragondad

December 05, 2018, 03:26:36 pm #8 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 03:31:52 pm by dragondad
Let me clear something up, before someone runs with fake news.   We do not put our peewee players in the weight room.  Our peewee program begins in 3rd grade but we do take 2nd graders if there is enough equipment to outfit them.  They arent however, 3rd-4th, or 5th-6th put on a weight training program.  They are taught quite extensively the fundamentals and rules of the game, conditioned heavily by running and other exercises, and much of the same offense and defense they'll begin seeing in the 7th grace.  Most years, both peewee teams average 35 players.

As for strength and conditioning of our 7th - 12th grade players,  I believe theres a direct correlation between always being a top finisher in track and weightlifting, and being a top competitor in football.  It's no coincidence that the teams with the best weightlifting programs in each classification are also,  many more times than not, ranked football programs.  I believe we have been blessed with many talented athletes in all sports, but I also believe other schools have the same blessing.  The difference, I believe, is in the mindset of the athletics program as a whole and the parents and community that support it.  Our parents and community for the most part,  trust our coaches and staff and stand behind them.  We dont secnd guess actions and decisions made, at least not to nor in front of our players and children.  Our kids are taught from PeeWee on that you are a part of the team, regardless of playing time.  Playing time, however, is determined by skill.  They know if they want to play, or play more, then they have to be better than the next guy, or next two guys, or....  And parents dont feed into a kids disappointment.  If they get benched,  most JC fans and parents reply with... get better, make it so you're the first one they think of when they look to rotate, or call 1st team.  I know, all football folks will say "we teach our kids the same thing".... but truly most don't.  Most complain in the summer about scheduling vacations around off-season trips to the facilities.  Most complain about sports taking away from their hunting or fishing.  Most wont travel to every single game in all weather conditions, home or away.  I have seen it time and time again, it's the overall dedication, work ethic, and desire of everyone involved, coupled with the knowledge and quality of our coaching staff.  The talent is there,  somewhere, at nearly all schools.... it's a history of excellence and all of the above that gets 50% of our males out in uniform....which then gives us the opportunity to more easily find those great players, and make the remainder better than average.

cav2012

Quote from: cav2012 on December 05, 2018, 03:20:54 pm
LA
right coach at the right time leading to a tradition of winning

Eslim03

Quote from: cav2012 on December 05, 2018, 03:34:42 pm
right coach at the right time leading to a tradition of winning

This is the biggest reason before carpenter their isn't much to talk about. Then he comes see's the massive potential of getting the best closest athletes to come create one super program with the athletes coming from two states. Bam know you have a JC that we know but without the benefit of running their buses into two states this would not be the case.

dragondad

Quote from: Eslim03 on December 05, 2018, 04:56:42 pm

This is the biggest reason before carpenter their isn't much to talk about. Then he comes see's the massive potential of getting the best closest athletes to come create one super program with the athletes coming from two states. Bam know you have a JC that we know but without the benefit of running their buses into two states this would not be the case.

I'm sorry those two LA starters whooped your whole team.  Tell your Oklahoma and Texas kids they're welcome in JC anytime.

Monsta

Quote from: Dragon I on December 05, 2018, 01:20:20 pm
Carpenter
Weight room
Conditioning

All of these together made the Tradition that you now see.  Kids don't know how to lose.  It starts in elementary school.  We did the same warm ups in 1st grade PE that the high school boys used.  Success in football has rolled over into all the other sports.
MAGIC WORDS, CARPENTER, WEIGHT ROOM, CONDITIONING, definitely not the same with out him being head huncho

dragondad

By the way, the QB, both RBs, the Center/kicker, the WR, two big O-lineman, two LBs.... all AR kids.  Every kid that scored on Foreman was an AR kid.

Monsta

December 05, 2018, 05:18:00 pm #14 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 05:21:38 pm by Monsta
Quote from: dragondad on December 05, 2018, 05:14:43 pm
By the way, the QB, both RBs, the Center/kicker, the WR, two big O-lineman, two LBs.... all AR kids.  Every kid that scored on Foreman was an AR kid.
if i'm Not mistaken their is only one La kid that's on the defense that's a starter and that #54

dragondad

LA kids have been attending JC school for somewhere around 75 years.  There use to be many more than there are today, so if the LA kids are the largest reason weve been successful.... logic would tell you we shouldve been more successful when we had more LA kids.

Wait, did I say logic.... yeah nevermind, that's beyond slims grasp.

Eslim03

Like I said not much of anything before Carpenter and dad you talking about just this season I was talking about the last 17 or somewhere around that number. Many of your great players over the years are born and raised LA kids. Just what it is and all of you JC guys try and deflect this entire conversation how it will sound better for your argument but the fact is you get to drive buses across the state lines legally. If this hurt your little feelings then who cares but pulling form two different parishes (county's) and two different states all together is opening up a avenue of recruiting that in my opinion has is and forever be an advantage for JC. That's just how it is period....

THA TRUTH

They must know how to pick them young.... all the studs I played with started in kindergarten at Jc.... whoever is in charge of picking out the 4-5 year olds has done an astounding job

PC fan

winning breeds winning
losing breeds losing
being average breeds being average
period end of story...in any sport..!!

It always starts with the coach ..for JC it was coach Carpenter ..he changed the mind set of your kids and it changed the culture of football there.. not all coaches can do that, not just talking in football but all major team sports.. it really takes a good one to change the school mindset as a whole and go from being average to great for two decades now...

cuz

Quote from: PC fan on December 05, 2018, 05:51:37 pm
winning breeds winning
losing breeds losing
being average breeds being average
period end of story...in any sport..!!

It always starts with the coach ..for JC it was coach Carpenter ..he changed the mind set of your kids and it changed the culture of football there.. not all coaches can do that, not just talking in football but all major team sports.. it really takes a good one to change the school mindset as a whole and go from being average to great for two decades now...
+1 good post

dragondad

Quote from: Eslim03 on December 05, 2018, 05:37:08 pm
Like I said not much of anything before Carpenter and dad you talking about just this season I was talking about the last 17 or somewhere around that number. Many of your great players over the years are born and raised LA kids. Just what it is and all of you JC guys try and deflect this entire conversation how it will sound better for your argument but the fact is you get to drive buses across the state lines legally. If this hurt your little feelings then who cares but pulling form two different parishes (county's) and two different states all together is opening up a avenue of recruiting that in my opinion has is and forever be an advantage for JC. That's just how it is period....

Doesnt hurt our feelings,  heck I love that it gets under your skin, and others like you.... and I got the T-Shirt to prove that.  True story!!  Bahaha!!!

thabeast428

Eslim it's sad u have to try and pretend u know what ur talking about but yet u don't. Go complain to the AAA lol

bleudog

December 05, 2018, 07:25:10 pm #22 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:27:20 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Eslim03 on December 05, 2018, 04:56:42 pm

Quote from: Eslim03 on December 05, 2018, 05:37:08 pm

Here's something from Louisiana that might help you.

PC fan

might I also add... before Coach Carpenter was the head coach there and all the talk about not much was done by the football team... I am friends with some old hats there that played way before he got there and I was told back then there was only 3 classifications.. yes just 3... JC was in conference with bigger schools such as Nashville,Dequeen,Ashdown,hope,fordyce,etc...maybe when AAA went to 5 conferences and then 7 it has helped... also dropped down a class after losing the union parish kids long ago.. and competition the old hats from there used to have to play week to week no longer happens... just a thought to think about... Carpenter changed the mind set but he didn't change everything...enrollment at JC did and the triple A did by making more classifications.. JC as I've said has been great now for two decades but don't discount what the old hats did back in the day for football there..just some food for thought...

POWERCAT PRIDE

Quote from: PC fan on December 05, 2018, 08:02:16 pm
might I also add... before Coach Carpenter was the head coach there and all the talk about not much was done by the football team... I am friends with some old hats there that played way before he got there and I was told back then there was only 3 classifications.. yes just 3... JC was in conference with bigger schools such as Nashville,Dequeen,Ashdown,hope,fordyce,etc...maybe when AAA went to 5 conferences and then 7 it has helped... also dropped down a class after losing the union parish kids long ago.. and competition the old hats from there used to have to play week to week no longer happens... just a thought to think about... Carpenter changed the mind set but he didn't change everything...enrollment at JC did and the triple A did by making more classifications.. JC as I've said has been great now for two decades but don't discount what the old hats did back in the day for football there..just some food for thought...

The team that made the first ever playoffs were in that era. Under a different coach (Crumpler) the 7AA West or South...not sure...was JC, Fordyce, Prescott, Gurdon, Nashville, DeQueen,...maybe Stamps? Not sure who else.

bleudog

December 05, 2018, 08:34:35 pm #25 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 08:40:51 pm by bleudog
Quote from: PC fan on December 05, 2018, 08:02:16 pm

Accurate and well said.  And to add to what you posted, I understand only the top two teams from each conference received playoff invitations during that era. 

It would be interesting to see if Carpenter's program might have worked during that era.  Well never know though.

What we do know is, during the era he was head coach, Carpenter may not have been at the head of the class, but in the class he was in it didn't take long to call roll. (stolen from Bum Phillips)

POWERCAT PRIDE

Quote from: bleudog on December 05, 2018, 08:34:35 pm
Accurate and well said.  I think JC football only appeared in one playoff bracket during the era you mentioned.  And to add to what you posted, I've been told only the top two teams from each conference received playoff invitations during that era. 

It would be interesting to see if Carpenter's program might have worked during that era.  Well never know though.

What we do know is, during the era he was head  coach, Carpenter may not have been at the head of the class, but in the class he was in it didn't take long to call roll. (stolen from Bum Phillips)

The team that made the first ever playoffs were in that era. Under a different coach (Crumpler) the 7AA West or South...not sure...was JC, Fordyce, Prescott, Gurdon, Nashville, DeQueen,...maybe Stamps? Not sure who else.
"A" class actually had football too..Norphlet was in that

POWERCAT PRIDE

And that team (86?) was full of LA boys because it was pre lawsuit

Always a dragon

Last class to have Union , Claiborne parishes and union county all together was the class of 95!

bleudog

December 05, 2018, 10:46:36 pm #29 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 10:49:38 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Always a dragon on December 05, 2018, 10:05:15 pm
Last class to have Union , Claiborne parishes and union county all together was the class of 95!

Kids living near campus in Union Parish can enroll in NECC subject to their enrollment limits.

Always a dragon

December 06, 2018, 05:53:04 am #30 Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:55:26 am by Always a dragon
Sorry Bleu forgot to put in, last class to have all 3 before they became a charter school.

bleudog

Quote from: Always a dragon on December 06, 2018, 05:53:04 am
Sorry Bleu forgot to put in, last class to have all 3 before they became a charter school.

What the Ward 9 parents did was to return geographically to the pre-early 90s.  Problem is there are less people in that area now then there were then.

I had posted being a large 2A school in the 2A classification since the mid 90's has helped.  Being a small 4A (I guess that would be the modern day equivalent) in the 4A classification before that didn't help.

GatorBait2014

December 06, 2018, 07:38:00 am #32 Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:41:57 am by GatorBait2014
Quote from: bleudog on December 05, 2018, 08:34:35 pm
Accurate and well said.  And to add to what you posted, I understand only the top two teams from each conference received playoff invitations during that era. 

What we do know is, during the era he was head coach, Carpenter may not have been at the head of the class, but in the class he was in it didn't take long to call roll. (stolen from Bum Phillips)

Someone that had an old newspaper clipping from back in the early 90's sent this to me. Might answer your question. Doesn't look like Carpenter was all that great when he first started. Not sure if it was him getting moved out of that classification or just the experiences he learned from during his first few years but JC didn't compete well at all with those guys. And there were more than just 3 classifications guys....c'mon!

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320xq90/r/922/z8lOT5.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320xq90/r/922/Jb0jQu.jp

cuz

dragondad

Quote from: GatorBait2014 on December 06, 2018, 07:38:00 am
Someone that had an old newspaper clipping from back in the day sent this to me. Might answer your question. Doesn't look like Carpenter was all that great when he first started. Not sure if it was him getting moved out of that classification or just the experiences he learned from during his first few years but JC didn't compete well at all with those guys. And there were more than just 3 classifications guys....c'mon!

Can someone please explain to the newbie how to attach a freaking picture to the thread....lol? I'm copying and hitting the "insert picture" icon at the top and evidently it's not posting it.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320xq90/r/922/z8lOT5.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320xq90/r/922/Jb0jQu.jp

Up until the late 90's,  4A (AAAA) was the highest classification.   6A and 7A werent created until around 2006 I believe.

GatorBait2014

Quote from: dragondad on December 06, 2018, 08:56:46 am
Up until the late 90's,  4A (AAAA) was the highest classification.   6A and 7A werent created until around 2006 I believe.

Yes, but there were also "B" class schools. So there were B, A, AA, AAA, AAAA schools. I was thinking that there was actually 5A (AAAAA) too but I'm not 100% confident on that. They pretty much just took out the "B" classification and made those schools an "A" and moved everyone up as well. Didn't change the size of the school or anything just changed what they were called.

dragondad

Quote from: GatorBait2014 on December 06, 2018, 09:02:06 am
Yes, but there were also "B" class schools. So there were B, A, AA, AAA, AAAA schools. I was thinking that there was actually 5A (AAAAA) too but I'm not 100% confident on that. They pretty much just took out the "B" classification and made those schools an "A" and moved everyone up as well. Didn't change the size of the school or anything just changed what they were called.

B schools didnt play football.  There were 4 football classifications.  Those four classifications had more schools in each than they do today, so much more competitive.

POWERCAT PRIDE

December 06, 2018, 09:16:02 am #37 Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:17:41 am by POWERCAT PRIDE
Quote from: dragondad on December 06, 2018, 09:06:16 am
B schools didnt play football.  There were 4 football classifications.  Those four classifications had more schools in each than they do today, so much more competitive.

Back then I don't think classification was based on enrollment, so basically JC was "playing up" against larger schools. Well actually it was enrollment numbers that put you in a classification but it wasn't a hard cutoff.  I think it was based on number of teams per classification.  Largest 32 were AAAA,  next largest were AAA and so forth.

Wilson

As an old HOF coach from right down the road from me now has said over and over when talking about their 18 state titles. . .in small school football. . If you're stronger and faster than the other team.  90% of the time your going to win your games just on that alone.   The other 10% is when your on field coaching and scheme win when it's even athletically

eldofan

December 06, 2018, 09:35:00 am #39 Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:14:19 am by eldofan
Would that be Red Franklin of Haynesville ?

bleudog

December 06, 2018, 10:02:47 am #40 Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:59:50 am by bleudog
Quote from: GatorBait2014 on December 06, 2018, 07:38:00 am
Someone that had an old newspaper clipping from back in the early 90's sent this to me. Might answer your question. Doesn't look like Carpenter was all that great when he first started. Not sure if it was him getting moved out of that classification or just the experiences he learned from during his first few years but JC didn't compete well at all with those guys. And there were more than just 3 classifications guys....c'mon!

Here's an article that addresses Carpenter's history at JC.  He came into a situation that needed improvement.  After a couple of years, he was released due to a RIF (reduction in staff).  He was rehired a couple of years after release.  His system changes in strength training, conditioning and game philosophy started showing results in '98.  I wouldn't say he was given the time to determine if his program would have worked in the larger classification.  After Union Parish pulled its kids and JC dropped in classification, there was time for implementation and the rest is history.

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/junction-city-dragons-coach-reflects-on-200-wins/

And to get your pics to show.  Click modify.  Highlight the link to the pic.  Click the icon on the far left below the Bold icon and above the emoticons row.

GotInfo?

DragonDad, this is a big part that most schools do not get......

"The difference, I believe, is in the mindset of the athletics program as a whole and the parents and community that support it.  Our parents and community for the most part,  trust our coaches and staff and stand behind them.  We dont secnd guess actions and decisions made, at least not to nor in front of our players and children.  Our kids are taught from PeeWee on that you are a part of the team, regardless of playing time.  Playing time, however, is determined by skill.  They know if they want to play, or play more, then they have to be better than the next guy, or next two guys, or....  And parents dont feed into a kids disappointment.  If they get benched,  most JC fans and parents reply with... get better, make it so you're the first one they think of when they look to rotate, or call 1st team.  I know, all football folks will say "we teach our kids the same thing".... but truly most don't.  Most complain in the summer about scheduling vacations around off-season trips to the facilities."

You are dead on with that statement.  Most programs deal with parents that complain about playing time or play calling instead of supporting their coach and telling their kid to keep working hard.  Impressive.

paraloma

Carpenter
Weight room
Conditioning

Which is all very true, but having an extra 25-50 male students helps too. If you were compared to Strong, Foreman, Mineral Springs, etc.

paraloma

bleudog

GatorBait2014

Quote from: GotInfo? on December 06, 2018, 10:51:51 am
DragonDad, this is a big part that most schools do not get......

"The difference, I believe, is in the mindset of the athletics program as a whole and the parents and community that support it.  Our parents and community for the most part,  trust our coaches and staff and stand behind them.  We dont secnd guess actions and decisions made, at least not to nor in front of our players and children.  Our kids are taught from PeeWee on that you are a part of the team, regardless of playing time.  Playing time, however, is determined by skill.  They know if they want to play, or play more, then they have to be better than the next guy, or next two guys, or....  And parents dont feed into a kids disappointment.  If they get benched,  most JC fans and parents reply with... get better, make it so you're the first one they think of when they look to rotate, or call 1st team.  I know, all football folks will say "we teach our kids the same thing".... but truly most don't.  Most complain in the summer about scheduling vacations around off-season trips to the facilities."

You are dead on with that statement.  Most programs deal with parents that complain about playing time or play calling instead of supporting their coach and telling their kid to keep working hard.  Impressive.

I absolutely agree with those statements! Too many times you have kids that go home and whine and complain to mama and daddy about how their being mistreated for some reason or another. Telling them that someone else is starting instead of them because their mama or daddy is an influential person in the community and the coach is starting them instead. And then the parents fall right into the same trap and either go complain to the school board/coaches or just tell the kid to quit altogether. Instead of just telling the kid to work harder and show the coach that they should be the one playing. By doing that you will not only make yourself better but make the other kid start pushing himself or they will lose the starting position as well.

These kids now days just have to understand to keep working and never stop trying to get better. Don't just give up and quit!! After all that's what's going to happen when they get into the real world. The people that work the hardest and the people that perform the best are the ones that are going to succeed! I know that has been the BIGGEST problem with our school through the years and we had a big turnaround the last few year because coaches just started making the kids accountable instead of letting them make excuses. I know this is a JC thread but I do know that success will breed more participation and the more that participate the better chance you have at succeeding.

But you have to have support from the community as well as the parents and JC must have that or a very good recruiting department...lol, just kidding guys!

tacklethis...

Carpenter
Weight room
Conditioning

I disagree.

1. TALENT
2. TALENT
3. TALENT

Then the other things...

No other class 2A team in the history of Arkansas high school football has put more talent in the next level than JC. Not to take anything away from Carpenter but I could have won with those teams from 12-14...

baseball13

Its the water in JC that causes them to be "BEASTS". it takes 10-12 years to start working. when they hit high school is when it turns them to a beast. lol

cuz

December 06, 2018, 12:46:23 pm #48 Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 12:48:55 pm by cuz
Quote from: tacklethis... on December 06, 2018, 12:24:48 pm
I disagree.

1. TALENT
2. TALENT
3. TALENT

Then the other things...

No other class 2A team in the history of Arkansas high school football has put more talent in the next level than JC. Not to take anything away from Carpenter but I could have won with those teams from 12-14...
Now I'm a big fan of JC and Coach C but I'd have to look close at Barton and Coach Mcclellan before making that statement.....😉

dragondad

Quote from: paraloma on December 06, 2018, 11:07:14 am
Which is all very true, but having an extra 25-50 male students helps too. If you were compared to Strong, Foreman, Mineral Springs, etc.

Closer to 15-20 total LA male students in 10-12 grades,  and approx 50% of those play football.... so, 7-10 maybe..... and 3 or 4 of those might be starters most years.  I think this year only 2 out of 6 start.   The funny thing about your comment is,  JC isnt even the largest 2A school.  There are 8 2A schools larger than us, including one that's only a few miles away.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas