• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1a Boys State Favorite?

Started by Bulldog1234, December 03, 2018, 02:07:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog1234

Who is the favorite to win 1a boys state?

baller334

Hosea18

The school up in the hills, Izard County barring any upsets.  Young talent, disciplined coach, and they are well rounded.  They have inside game, with capability to hit the 3's.

Bulldog1234

What about Dermott boys, they are ranked one of the top teams in 1a.

Sports Loser

ICC already beat them am I correct?

baller334

Yea beat them by about 13 or so if I remember.

djyungstylez

ICC beat Dermott by 9 early in the season, i don't think it'll happen on a neutral court though. 

Flobbito

December 14, 2018, 08:11:10 am #7 Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 01:21:50 pm by Flobbito
My .02:

Favorite-
ICC

next tier-
Dermott
The New School (still not entirely sold on these guys)
Kirby

Second tier -
Timbo
Calico Rock
Nevada
and maybe Western Grove

Third tier -
A whole bunch of teams, and MVE because I'm a homer  ;D ;D

Informant

ICC brings back almost every key contributor from a State Finals team a year ago.  They are easily and hands down the favorite to win 1A.  ICC has already played some of the top teams in 1A and even hung with NLR for about 3 quarters. Lost a close one to Westside and beat Pine Bluff.  They have length, size and can shoot from outside.  ICC has an opportunity to create a Bay-like dynasty for the next few years.

Sports Loser

Quote from: Informant on December 14, 2018, 09:36:36 am
ICC brings back almost every key contributor from a State Finals team a year ago.  They are easily and hands down the favorite to win 1A.  ICC has already played some of the top teams in 1A and even hung with NLR for about 3 quarters. Lost a close one to Westside and beat Pine Bluff.  They have length, size and can shoot from outside.  ICC has an opportunity to create a Bay-like dynasty for the next few years.
I think the only difference is that the kids at ICC have always been there the Bay and Guy runs were always with move ins. 

Informant

Quote from: Sports Loser on December 14, 2018, 09:44:20 am
I think the only difference is that the kids at ICC have always been there the Bay and Guy runs were always with move ins.

Irrelevant comment

Woodrow1

Quote from: Sports Loser on December 14, 2018, 09:44:20 am

That isn't exactly true....

Sports Loser

Quote from: Informant on December 14, 2018, 10:00:09 am

Irrelevant comment
Well it's relevant to me!  It sucks for the kids that chances to win by not moving or being talked into moving by a coach

SackAttack

Quote from: Informant on December 14, 2018, 09:36:36 am
Especially if they keep redshirting their good kids to get them more mature! High Seed strategy Sack says

FromTheBench

Kids are gonna move in and out now a days, folks need to get over it. You won't complain if your school gets a good one one day. Anyways, back to who the favorite is to win 1a State

Sports Loser

Woodrow1

D6Bound

December 14, 2018, 03:31:54 pm #17 Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:50:02 pm by D6Bound
Quote from: SackAttack on December 14, 2018, 11:26:29 am
Especially if they keep redshirting their good kids to get them more mature! High Seed strategy Sack says
gotta log in to take a quick gander at everything before someone calls me the boss man again. I feel like you're implying that they "redshirted" Cooper his freshman year. Which is true, because he had surgery on his hip that summer and wasn't gonna play any that year because of the surgery. He played summer camps with the Sr. Team prior to that.

Also a response to Informant because I'm too lazy to make a separate post, they hung with NLR till about 4 minutes left in the 4th, (it was a 3 point game) not until the end of the 3rd. And yes, it was the full NLR roster that played in that game that also took part in dismantling Nettleton in the semi-finals and taking care of Jonesboro in the finals of the Hurricane Classic. See y'all in March.

Edit: the reason why I clarified that it was the full NLR roster is because the day after we played them someone on Fearless was mouthing around asking if the entire NLR team was present.

Bears_94

Izard county is winning state. I've heard a lot of talk about Timbo boys at the end of the day Izard would beat  them by close to 30. Timbo needs to play some tougher opponents and they wouldn't be in the top ten rankings.

Woodrow1

Quote from: Bears_94 on December 14, 2018, 03:37:37 pm
Izard county is winning state. I've heard a lot of talk about Timbo boys at the end of the day Izard would beat  them by close to 30. Timbo needs to play some tougher opponents and they wouldn't be in the top ten rankings.

The Timbo Rattlers would finish 3rd or 4th in 1A-2 District. 

beach bum

The New School has the best coach in 1A and a good enough roster to win it all.... They will win 1A.

D6Bound

Quote from: beach bum on December 17, 2018, 04:35:00 pm
The New School has the best coach in 1A and a good enough roster to win it all.... They will win 1A.
Care to inform me on what happened with that 6 point nail biter against Kingston a few weeks ago?

djyungstylez

After winning the Dumas Classic by an average of 23points Dermott won't lose another game.  Sorry guys.

beach bum

Quote from: D6Bound on December 17, 2018, 05:35:55 pm
Care to inform me on what happened with that 6 point nail biter against Kingston a few weeks ago?

Basketball is not football..... No one goes through the season winning every game by double digits like a stacked team can in football.

D6Bound

December 17, 2018, 06:26:24 pm #24 Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 06:48:04 pm by D6Bound
Quote from: beach bum on December 17, 2018, 06:14:29 pm

Basketball is not football..... No one goes through the season winning every game by double digits like a stacked team can in football.
from my knowledge ICC certainly has against schools their size. Such as Western Grove and Omaha who ICC won both by over 20 without Faulkner (both games were away) and Omaha clapped Kingston AT Kingston by 30. You need more evidence before you make such a bold prediction.

HorseFeathers

Trolling trolling trolling..... Or maybe not 🤷 I can't tell with beach_bum sometimes

HorseFeathers

In all seriousness....New School is 18-1, I know nothing about them...But I'd say they've only played 3 teams with a pulse, they've gone 2-1 against them... Time Will tell

D6Bound

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 17, 2018, 09:53:12 pm
In all seriousness....New School is 18-1, I know nothing about them...But I'd say they've only played 3 teams with a pulse, they've gone 2-1 against them... Time Will tell
other than Har-Ber who else have they played?

CTEPirateFan

Quote from: djyungstylez on December 17, 2018, 06:08:23 pm
After winning the Dumas Classic by an average of 23points Dermott won't lose another game.  Sorry guys.
I would love to see Dermott go all the way, but I wouldn't judge the rest of the season off their performance in the Dumas Classic with wins against a subpar Hamburg and Saline County Christian HomeSchool. Hope to see them in the SEARK Holiday Tournament at Drew Central for some good competition and maybe a rematch with DC.

YSpanther

Deer isn't bad and seems to be getting better.  They jumped up and beat Eureka Springs a week or so back.  I will get to see them front and center tomorrow evening.  We will see if they travel as well as they compete in their oddly sized, humid, home gym.  :D

riccoar

Quote from: D6Bound on December 17, 2018, 10:14:47 pm
other than Har-Ber who else have they played?

10/16
Mulberry/Pleasant View (Mulberry, AR)
(W) 67 - 38

10/18
Life Way Christian (Centerton, AR)
(W) 74 - 27

10/19
Abundant Life (North Little Rock, AR)
(W) 80 - 28

10/23
Haas Hall Academy (Fayetteville, AR)
(W) 72 - 26

10/25
Bruno-Pyatt (Everton, AR)
(W) 88 - 38

10/29
Arkansas Arts Academy (Rogers, AR)
(W) 67 - 19

10/30
Oark (Oark, AR)
(W) 72 - 29

11/6
Future School of Fort Smith (Fort Smith, AR)
(W) 66 - 38

11/8
Northwest Arkansas HomeSchool Hornets (Springdale, AR)
(W) 43 - 25

11/9
Haas Hall Academy (Bentonville, AR)
(W) 57 - 11

11/10
Mountainburg (Mountainburg, AR)
(W) 52 - 28

11/13
Union Christian Academy (Fort Smith, AR)
(W) 64 - 28

11/15
@ Greenwood (Greenwood, AR)
(W) 47 - 39

11/29
@ Union Christian Academy (Fort Smith, AR)
(W) 58 - 14

12/4
@ Kingston (Kingston, AR)
(W) 74 - 68

12/11
Northwest Arkansas Classical Academy (Bentonville, AR)
(W) 78 - 34

12/12
@ Har-Ber (Springdale, AR)
(L) 72 - 60

12/14
Mount Judea (Mount Judea, AR)
(W) 84 - 27

12/17
Alpena (Alpena, AR)
(W) 72 - 52

1/4
Fayetteville Christian (Fayetteville, AR)

1/5
Life Way Christian (Centerton, AR)

1/8
Deer (Deer, AR)

1/11
Kingston (Kingston, AR)

1/15
Jasper (Jasper, AR)

1/18
@ Northwest Arkansas Classical Academy (Bentonville, AR)

1/22
@ Mount Judea (Mount Judea, AR)

1/24
@ Alpena (Alpena, AR)

1/28
@ Jasper (Jasper, AR)

2/1
@ Deer (Deer, AR)

2/5
@ Future School of Fort Smith (Fort Smith, AR)

2/11
TBA
TBA
Game Details: District Tournament

YSpanther

Alpena is not bad.  They played Drew Central about the same difference.  Many of those teams are very bad this year.  I know because I have seen them play some.  When they play Deer and Jasper and Alpena again, you will have a better idea of their overall talent.

Sports Loser

A Future School vs New School State final would be phenomenal.  Even though both names are semi embarrassing

Flobbito

I can't really gauge the new school, impressive record but their best victories come against three teams with an overall record of 16-30, none of them above .500.  Their only loss comes from a 2-5 7A team. Like I said in a post above I'm not sold on them even with an impressive record, I think tournament time will be unkind to them.

Sports Loser

Flobbito

D6Bound

December 18, 2018, 11:42:55 am #36 Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 11:44:43 am by D6Bound
Har-Ber is the only team on that schedule that's worth a dang. They're like UCF's football team, they play nobody all year and expect to be a top ranked team. I wouldn't even rank them in the top 3 in 1A.

YSpanther

Quote from: D6Bound on December 18, 2018, 11:42:55 am
Har-Ber is the only team on that schedule that's worth a dang. They're like UCF's football team, they play nobody all year and expect to be a top ranked team. I wouldn't even rank them in the top 3 in 1A.
Like I said in my post, there are some decent teams coming up. For 1A teams.  Challengers for the state title?  Probably not.  But will make it into state probably?  Yes.
You act like a 1A school can help that they play in a 1A conference, sheesh.

D6Bound

Quote from: YSpanther on December 18, 2018, 12:18:30 pm
Like I said in my post, there are some decent teams coming up. For 1A teams.  Challengers for the state title?  Probably not.  But will make it into state probably?  Yes.
You act like a 1A school can help that they play in a 1A conference, sheesh.
Well beach bum is so sure that they're just gonna win state in 1A this year so I was merely presenting facts. And a wise Jewish man once said, Facts don't care about feelings.

ozarkmtnsman

Quote from: Flobbito on December 14, 2018, 08:11:10 am
My .02:

Favorite-
ICC

next tier-
Dermott
The New School (still not entirely sold on these guys)

Second tier -
Timbo
Calico Rock
Nevada
and maybe Western Grove

Third tier -
A whole bunch of teams, and MVE because I'm a homer  ;D ;D

Western Grove doesn't seem to be the team that made some noise in state last year.  They lost Saylors to Harrison but brought just about everyone else back.  As of now they may have to fight for the 3rd seed out of their own conference.

ozarkmtnsman

Quote from: YSpanther on December 18, 2018, 12:34:59 am
Deer isn't bad and seems to be getting better.  They jumped up and beat Eureka Springs a week or so back.  I will get to see them front and center tomorrow evening.  We will see if they travel as well as they compete in their oddly sized, humid, home gym.  :D

Tonight's game between Yellville and Deer should be a good one. I think it will tell us a lot where these teams stand at the moment.

Basketball_fan23

Better watch out for Nevada Blue Jays making a run at it. They have a solid young team. They won't be easily stopped.

YSpanther

Quote from: D6Bound on December 18, 2018, 12:21:47 pm
Well beach bum is so sure that they're just gonna win state in 1A this year so I was merely presenting facts. And a wise Jewish man once said, Facts don't care about feelings.
And reality is somewhere in the middle.  ;) I'm just saying that Jasper, Deer and Alpena would give many teams in most of 1A a pretty salty game.  But I get the intended target of letting beach bum know that their schedule has some pretty weak spots as well.

YSpanther

Quote from: ozarkmtnsman on December 18, 2018, 12:50:19 pm
Western Grove doesn't seem to be the team that made some noise in state last year.  They lost Saylors to Harrison but brought just about everyone else back.  As of now they may have to fight for the 3rd seed out of their own conference.
It doesn't help having to play ICC.  And Viola is getting better.  Chemistry on a team is so hard to nail down with teenagers.  Who knows who stole who's girlfriend this week.  ;D

YSpanther

Quote from: YSpanther on December 18, 2018, 12:34:59 am
Deer lost to YS tonight 64-46, but it was a close game until the beginning of the 4th.  So either they are good, or we are both mediocre.  Both possibilities.  They play hard and have pretty good shooters, but they lack size in a big way, which is what Yellville has.  I guess they thought they had to speed us up, so they pretty much pressed the whole game, which didn't cause too many turnovers on us, but sure piled up the fouls on them and tired them out by the 4th when we got a lot of open break away looks because of the press breaking down.  We also ran a gimmick box and one on their star shooter and frustrated him beyond belief.  He had lit us up for around 30 last time and I would be surprised if he had more than 10 tonight.  He was so frustrated that when he fouled out, he got a technical as a parting gift for what I assume was some choice words.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them at state.  Not in the semifinals, but at state.

D6Bound

December 18, 2018, 10:06:32 pm #45 Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 10:09:03 pm by D6Bound
Quote from: YSpanther on December 18, 2018, 05:35:26 pm
And reality is somewhere in the middle.  ;) I'm just saying that Jasper, Deer and Alpena would give many teams in most of 1A a pretty salty game.  But I get the intended target of letting beach bum know that their schedule has some pretty weak spots as well.
Just out of curiosity, even though a 1A team has a 1A conference...what keeps them from playing non-conference games against better competition? I'm not an expert of that Fayetteville area but I feel like there's some pretty good teams over there

YSpanther

December 18, 2018, 10:32:41 pm #46 Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 10:34:44 pm by YSpanther
Quote from: D6Bound on December 18, 2018, 10:06:32 pm
Just out of curiosity, even though a 1A team has a 1A conference...what keeps them from playing non-conference games against better competition? I'm not an expert of that Fayetteville area but I feel like there's some pretty good teams over there
Why does U of A refuse to play UCA and AState?  Some schools are good to take all comers, regardless of classification, but what is the incentive for say a 5A Farmington to play a 1A school who might actually beat them.  It is a lose/lose situation for that bigger school.  Some bigger schools like to get more home games from the smaller schools, who use their home gate revenue and concessions to pay for uniforms, etc. so they are less likely to just up and go play everywhere without some sort of return trip to their gym. And you are limited in total games and number of tournaments you can play to try and drop into tougher competition.  Sometimes in high school, you just don't know how good or bad, relatively speaking, you are going to be that year and you hate to have a murderer's row and have your kids get their heads beat in to the point of just letting go of the rope and quitting in large numbers and killing your program.  Lots of reasons.  But no doubt, there are some definitely weak teams on that schedule.  Most from their conference, which they really can't do anything about, other than trying to get some other games which they obviously did with the Springdale games.

This came from another thread I was discussing schedule limitations on.

Beginning      Sport                               # of Permissible Events
Week #

16                BASKETBALL (non-FB)           28
19                BASKETBALL (FB schools)      20

All varsity basketball teams may also participate in two invitational tournaments. Non-football schools may add a third basketball tournament by excluding three regular season basketball games. Football schools may add a third basketball tournament by excluding two regular season basketball games.

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Golf/2018-19_AAA_Handbook.pdf

D6Bound

Bay never has a problem with playing against fierce competition from bigger schools in their area. And they're just like The New School, a small school in a very large area.

YSpanther

Pardon the pun, but isn't the "New School" a new school?  Bay has a reputation of being very good and has been for a very long time.  Without that longstanding reputation, who says that the bigger schools would be willing to play them?  If they didn't feel it would be a competitive game, why would they do it?  Because while Bay and New School and every other wannabe contender for 1A and 2A glory wants to knock off bigger schools and tougher competition, bigger schools many times don't want to do that unless they are assured it will be a game or they have their own problems and want to get well on some creampuffs.

Everybody always has their motivation on why they schedule like they do.  Some schools try, but without serious travel time they have difficulty for various reasons.  Sometimes it is something as simple as that fiery driven coach at a small school has shown his hind end enough times in dealing with other area coaches, that no one really wants to deal with him unless they are obligated to via a conference structure.

Mr. Basketball

The Izard County Cougars improved to 18-2 on the season with a win over the Sloan Hendrix Greyhounds, 58-35, at Imboden in a game that was nowhere near as close as the score indicated. The Cougars were ahead 26-4 in the first quarter, 45-16 at the half, and 58-25 after three quarters. The Cougars didn't play starters after about the first half of the third quarter and emptied the bench while Sloan kept playing best player and a couple of other starters right up to the last minute. The final score didn't fool anybody at game. Complete domination by the Cougars

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas