• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

QUARTERFINALS - Lamar @ Rison

Started by Hitman Warrior23, November 16, 2018, 09:50:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

knownothingboutfallball

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on November 17, 2018, 02:25:36 pm
Listen, I am from Rison (originally) and a Rison fan of course, but that kind of thinking will get a team beat.
I sure hope none of the players are thinking like that.   I know Coach Totty isn't.

It's fun to talk smack, and I know that's what you are doing - but we are NOT 'unbeatable'.  As soon as you start thinking like that, you are on your way to defeat.

We are not past Lamar yet, way too early to talk about a dang good Smackover team that will be a heck of a challenge if we get to play them.

Much work to do.
+1

blackandoldgold

Possible rain in the forecast. Both teams like to run & play smash mouth ball. If Lamar can move the chains, it should be an interesting game. At this point anyone can beat anyone given the right opportunities. Gotta go with Rison to advance.

Clara Allen

Practical Penny here:  looking at Google Maps, where do you park? Black Friday or not, I will be there.  And are there any places to eat in Rison?  Just trying to get the logistics out of the way.
Go Warriors- if the team that played Friday night shows up this Friday, it will be a heck of a game.  I don't think they are ready to go to the gym yet!

ISU7

ChucktownTiger

This is the end of the road for Lamar Rison by 35

blackandoldgold

Quote from: Clara Allen on November 18, 2018, 05:46:08 am
Practical Penny here:  looking at Google Maps, where do you park? Black Friday or not, I will be there.  And are there any places to eat in Rison?  Just trying to get the logistics out of the way.
Go Warriors- if the team that played Friday night shows up this Friday, it will be a heck of a game.  I don't think they are ready to go to the gym yet!
There is a parking lot north of the field. If that's full there is a Methodist church just south of the field where you can park.

As far as food, I haven't lived in Rison since 74 so I'll let the folks living there now speak up about local restaurants. There is a Leon's Catfish right before you leave Pine Bluff on the way to Rison that's good.

Risonwildcat212

For those asking about the food situation in Rison, honestly...your options are pretty limited but fairly decent. The Main Street Cafe is a really good option on game day if you want good food and people to talk football with before the game. There's Bam's Cafe out on the highway. Also there is a pretty decent Mexican restaurant called Marcella's (I think) on Main street down from the cafe. The building it's in looks a little rough (most of the building on Main street do) but don't let that deter you from stopping. Rison also has a Pizza Pro but you can get their pizza at the game. That's pretty much it. Like I said, Limited, but mostly decent food.

Clara Allen

Quote from: Risonwildcat212 on November 18, 2018, 11:15:20 am
For those asking about the food situation in Rison, honestly...your options are pretty limited but fairly decent. The Main Street Cafe is a really good option on game day if you want good food and people to talk football with before the game. There's Bam's Cafe out on the highway. Also there is a pretty decent Mexican restaurant called Marcella's (I think) on Main street down from the cafe. The building it's in looks a little rough (most of the building on Main street do) but don't let that deter you from stopping. Rison also has a Pizza Pro but you can get their pizza at the game. That's pretty much it. Like I said, Limited, but mostly decent food.
[/quote

Thanks for y'all's info.  I have inly been past the road that goes to Rison.  Hopefully it won't rain much this week...

Smackover Fan

Rison will score 40 something points, Lamar will score less. Going with Rison by 10ish.

Warriors023

GREAT showing from Lamar's secondary Friday night, keeping Harding from getting anywhere near the end zone until the 4th quarter. I haven't seen much of Rison, but from what I have seen, Lamar is going to have to play lights out both ways to have a shot. If Lamar shows up to play, this will be the hardest fought football game of the playoffs thus far. If not, it may be the most lopsided. Lamar's defense is incredible, and deceiving to the eye without watching them play. Same with the offense. Not much incredible size or speed, but Doc has one heck of a good thing going and it's only gotten better the past 2 weeks. I'm taking Lamar by 3 or Rison by 14+ depending on which team shows up. Best of luck.

xadboy

Quote from: ChucktownTiger on November 18, 2018, 09:19:13 am
This is the end of the road for Lamar Rison by 35
Ouch Chuck! Are you upset we're still playing and your not?

blackandoldgold

This will be the first meeting between the two schools, and will make three schools in a row Rison has never faced before since the football program started there in 1927. I can almost remember that first game, lol.

To all the fans traveling to the game, be safe. Hope everyone good luck & good sportsmanship.

Lamar fans may need a few extra minutes traveling through Pine Bluff due to road construction on I-530. Sometimes it moves good, sometimes it's a crawl for 2 or 3 miles.

Warriors023

What does Rison have besides overall team speed? Depth, line size?

Risonwildcat212

Quote from: Warriors023 on November 18, 2018, 05:47:02 pm
What does Rison have besides overall team speed? Depth, line size?
The lines have pretty good size. Our depth might be the best the cats have had in a while, not a ton of 2 way starters. The linebackers are a strength usually but have missed some tackles recently. The secondary has Razorback commit Malik Chavis who has 4.39 speed. He also plays RB and WR. Chavis is definitely the fastest but the overall speed is really good.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Risonwildcat212 on November 18, 2018, 06:05:59 pm
The lines have pretty good size. Our depth might be the best the cats have had in a while, not a ton of 2 way starters. The linebackers are a strength usually but have missed some tackles recently. The secondary has Razorback commit Malik Chavis who has 4.39 speed. He also plays RB and WR. Chavis is definitely the fastest but the overall speed is really good.
Chavis gets to the ball in a hurry on defense. The other kid you have was more impressive on offense against us. Two very talented players.

Waterboy94

Jamarion Frye.  6-2 210 and the most physical player Rison has.

Waterboy94

I say most physical, but I'll give #24 Martin credit. Heck of a hustler

Tristram Shandy

Frye might overlooked by those not from Rison because Chavis has received so much press, and because Frye is so young, but he is a beast at RB.  Loves to make contact when running the ball, almost to a fault.  Chavis and Frye are like Lightning and Thunder, to use an old expression.

bulldog

Lamar has no chance Friday.  Not trying to be ugly, but Rison moves on! 

Warriors023

This game is gonna be a knock down drag out brawl between 2 teams that LOVE to run the ball down your throat and make you love it. Rison QB can throw or on a more "as needed" basis

Risonwildcat212

Quote from: Warriors023 on November 18, 2018, 06:56:31 pm
This game is gonna be a knock down drag out brawl between 2 teams that LOVE to run the ball down your throat and make you love it. Rison QB can throw or on a more "as needed" basis
Usually when he throws it's to catch the defense off guard or an as needed basis.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: Risonwildcat212 on November 18, 2018, 06:05:59 pm
The secondary has Razorback commit Malik Chavis who has 4.39 speed. He also plays RB and WR. Chavis is definitely the fastest but the overall speed is really good.

If Rison has high-D1 talent, then obviously they are going to be a heavy favorite. For Lamar to stay in it the big guys up front are going to have to have one of their best games, because Lamar will have to have sustained drives.

Horse Shoe

Someone should just go ahead and start a Rison vs. Osceola Thread.

little timmy

would love to see lamar win a big one, still going to side with the wildcats by 2+ td's

Warriors023

Here's the game maker,
Lamar has the ability to sustain long, time consuming drives. D-1 can't score if he doesn't have the ball no can he? And the wildcats haven't seen a run defense that is the caliber of Lamar's. They won't be able to move the defensive line to make holes between the tackles, and Lamar's D-end play has been lights out all season long. One great D-1 kid doesn't make a whole team great. Lamar has the horses to keep up with some of the top teams in the state.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Warriors023 on November 18, 2018, 08:53:42 pm
Here's the game maker,
Lamar has the ability to sustain long, time consuming drives. D-1 can't score if he doesn't have the ball no can he? And the wildcats haven't seen a run defense that is the caliber of Lamar's. They won't be able to move the defensive line to make holes between the tackles, and Lamar's D-end play has been lights out all season long. One great D-1 kid doesn't make a whole team great. Lamar has the horses to keep up with some of the top teams in the state.
How about two D1 kids? The sophomore will be one also.

Warriors023

Still young, we will see. It's gonna come down to line play.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Warriors023 on November 18, 2018, 09:12:45 pm
Still young, we will see. It's gonna come down to line play.
I agree, if your D line stops Rison's running game you win.

Risonwildcat212

Here's the game maker,
If you think Chavis is all Rison has than you'll hate to hear that he might not even be our best on offence, Jamarion Frye is already getting looked at by the U of A and he's a sophomore. Extremely physical RB/LB who loves contact but also has great vision and I'm pretty sure I heard from our radio guys he has 4.4 speed.

Risonwildcat212

Quote from: Oldman on November 18, 2018, 09:14:11 pm
I agree, if your D line stops Rison's running game you win.
That's the thing. Everyone knows what Rison's gonna do. Everyone puts 10 in the box to stop it. Few teams have completely stopped it.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Risonwildcat212 on November 18, 2018, 09:26:44 pm
That's the thing. Everyone knows what Rison's gonna do. Everyone puts 10 in the box to stop it. Few teams have completely stopped it.
I said IF

Warriors023

Quote from: Risonwildcat212 on November 18, 2018, 09:18:07 pm
If you think Chavis is all Rison has than you'll hate to hear that he might not even be our best on offence, Jamarion Frye is already getting looked at by the U of A and he's a sophomore. Extremely physical RB/LB who loves contact but also has great vision and I'm pretty sure I heard from our radio guys he has 4.4 speed.
Doc is brewing up at a storm this week just like he did last week. It's gonna come
A knockin Friday night.

Hitman Warrior23

Quote from: Tristram Shandy on November 17, 2018, 01:35:48 pm
No, Rison is better than Smackover.  Rison hasn't been challenged all year.  Just dropped 62 points on a team that had been considered by many to be Rison's equal. No team yet has had an answer for Rison's prolific ground assault.  No answer shall be found, as there is no answer.

I just spit Keystone out of my nose reading this.  Good stuff! 

Hitman Warrior23

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on November 17, 2018, 02:25:36 pm
Listen, I am from Rison (originally) and a Rison fan of course, but that kind of thinking will get a team beat.
I sure hope none of the players are thinking like that.   I know Coach Totty isn't.

It's fun to talk smack, and I know that's what you are doing - but we are NOT 'unbeatable'.  As soon as you start thinking like that, you are on your way to defeat.

We are not past Lamar yet, way too early to talk about a dang good Smackover team that will be a heck of a challenge if we get to play them.

Much work to do.

Much respect to this post!

Warriors023

Quote from: TheTruth2010 on November 17, 2018, 01:08:43 pm
Lamar is going to run the football down your throat and will use up a lot of time doing it. If Rison keeps Lamar behind the sticks it'll be a long game for Lamar. If Lamar can run it, it'll be close. Y'all all act like Rison is the world beaters of 3a. Lamar had already played a better team In Boonville. Wasn't scared then, most certainly not scared now. Rison will remember they were in a football game the next day. That is fact.
+1
If anybody is the world
Beaters, it's booneville.

Warriors023

November 18, 2018, 09:50:39 pm #85 Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:48:35 am by Warriors023
Quote from: little timmy on November 18, 2018, 08:06:39 pm
would love to see lamar win a big one, still going to side with the wildcats by 2+ td's
Lamar's defense is going to stun the wildcats. There's no teams in that conference that play smash mouth football. Lamar held a backfield from Harding that between 2 backs had 1900+ yards to that point, to 43 yards on 16 carries.

MamaKitty

Here's the game maker:

We don't have just "one great D-1 kid." He's the one with the most press. It would serve everyone well  to consider that Rison has the best defense in the state. And our offense ain't too shabby either. We have a good crew of lineman that have the strength and agility to get where they to be in order to stop the run. And a good number of those players are sophomores. Oh and several  of them reached/ are close to  the 1000 pound club in weight lifting. We are well coached. We are well  conditioned. And we want this. Bad.

I'm not predicting anything. I just don't want others to minimize this team because we are in "the weakest conference" or we have "one great player." But I suppose it would be beneficial to the Wildcats if they did.

Go Cats!

Risonwildcat212

Quote from: Warriors023 on November 18, 2018, 09:50:39 pm
Lamar's defense is going to stun the wildcats. There's no teams in that conference that play smash mouth football. Lamar held a backfield from Harding that between 2 backs had 1900+ yards to that point, to 43 yards on 16 carries.
Rison, McGehee, and Barton (who runs the triple option) run smash mouth football. Risons defense sees a top rushing offense everyday in practice as well. This really should be a great hard hitting game.

Waterboy94

Quote from: MamaKitty on November 19, 2018, 07:34:29 am
We don't have just "one great D-1 kid." He's the one with the most press. It would serve everyone well  to consider that Rison has the best defense in the state. And our offense ain't too shabby either. We have a good crew of lineman that have the strength and agility to get where they to be in order to stop the run. And a good number of those players are sophomores. Oh and several  of them reached/ are close to  the 1000 pound club in weight lifting. We are well coached. We are well  conditioned. And we want this. Bad.

I'm not predicting anything. I just don't want others to minimize this team because we are in "the weakest conference" or we have "one great player." But I suppose it would be beneficial to the Wildcats if they did.

Go Cats!

This site isn't the best place for mommas, but if you do continue on this forum please don not wear your feelings on your sleeve.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: MamaKitty on November 19, 2018, 07:34:29 am
We don’t have just “one great D-1 kid.” He’s the one with the most press. It would serve everyone well  to consider that Rison has the best defense in the state. And our offense ain’t too shabby either. We have a good crew of lineman that have the strength and agility to get where they to be in order to stop the run. And a good number of those players are sophomores. Oh and several  of them reached/ are close to  the 1000 pound club in weight lifting. We are well coached. We are well  conditioned. And we want this. Bad.

I’m not predicting anything. I just don’t want others to minimize this team because we are in “the weakest conference” or we have “one great player.” But I suppose it would be beneficial to the Wildcats if they did.

Go Cats!
Pretty sure 2 teams in the final 8 did away with that weakest conference thing.

MamaKitty

Quote from: Waterboy94 on November 19, 2018, 08:04:52 am
This site isn't the best place for mommas, but if you do continue on this forum please don not wear your feelings on your sleeve.

Honey, (forgive the sappy endearments...it's what mamas do), it's awfully sweet of you to be worried about my feelings. But you can spend your time worrying about something else. I'm a tough gal. I understand the game extremely well, you know, for a mom...and I'm resilient to insults and not-so-passive-aggressive comments. When you were raised as a Wildcat, you get used to those. Lol.

Waterboy94

MamaKitty

Lol! Certainly hope so!!! Happy Thanksgiving 🦃

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: Risonwildcat212 on November 18, 2018, 07:04:06 pm
Usually when he throws it's to catch the defense off guard or an as needed basis.

QB has a decent arm. On the throws to the endzone trying to score in the last seconds of the first half, one the receiver lost in the lights but the ball was very catchable (I was looking into the same lights, receiver was running towards where I was standing), a couple were just very well covered and broken up in the endzone but receiver had hands on both, and one was caught but was just out of the back of endzone.  Cat's don't rely on the pass, and don't dial it up often - but have a legitimate chance to hit you with one when you aren't expecting it.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: MamaKitty on November 19, 2018, 08:36:34 am
Honey, (forgive the sappy endearments...it’s what mamas do), it’s awfully sweet of you to be worried about my feelings. But you can spend your time worrying about something else. I’m a tough gal. I understand the game extremely well, you know, for a mom...and I’m resilient to insults and not-so-passive-aggressive comments. When you were raised as a Wildcat, you get used to those. Lol.
Welcome to the board.

MICHAELSPAPPY

I love this time of year on this board. At least during conference season we know the other teams and our insults have some meat. When we get to this point we know practically nothing about the other team so all we can do is trade jabs with not much to back up our claims except "because I said so."

Waterboy94

Clara Allen

MICHAELSPAPPY

Plus that fact that it is just not worth the effort being nasty if you are not talking about Booneville or Charleston.

High Voltage

Sorry Lamar, but you are about to get throttled by another "Tradition Rich" program. The 2 "Tradition Rich" programs you have faced so far (Booneville, Charleston) spanked you. Rison may be the best team you have faced so far and will be by far the best coached team you have faced. And throw in the fact that you have to play at Rison, beware of those guys that sit in the hedges. ;D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas