• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic First down

Started by HorseFeathers, November 02, 2018, 11:00:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Do they exist at the High School Level? If so, when?
I've heard coaches argue it both ways this year and just wanted it clarified, thanks

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I believe that Roughing the Passer, Kicker, Holder or Punter are the only automatic first downs.  Seems like defensive PI was, but now it is just 15 yards.

wootothepig

In high school, auto first downs are awarded for

• Roughing the passer
  • Roughing the kicker/holder
  • Roughing the snapper

football_referee

Anything that starts with roughing is a automatic first down in National Federation of High Schools rules

High Voltage

Quote from: football_referee on November 03, 2018, 01:31:17 am
Anything that starts with roughing is a automatic first down in National Federation of High Schools rules
So PF and Unsportsmanlike are not auto's?

football_referee

HorseFeathers

The PF and Unsportsmanlike is what had me confused on No Autos in High School

football_referee

one thing I have noticed is when I signal a personal foul or a USC most of the time the 15 yards will take it past the 1st down mark. Most PA Announcers will say Personal Foul face mask 15 yards and a automatic 1st down.

The Automatic first down comes from watching football on Saturday and Sundays it is  a code difference that I (we)as officials puts up with every Friday.  Most fans know the difference but there are a few and its the Vocal few that make a big deal out of it.

At one time there were over a 100 different rule differences between NCAA code and NFHS code (Arkansas and 47 other states follow NFHS code) Only Texas and Massachusetts Uses a Modified NCAA code, and in the next couple of years Massachusetts will switch to NFHS rules.

As a reminder I or other officials will answer rule questions and talk about the rule differences

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas