• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norfork Girls

Started by Science nerd, October 19, 2018, 10:26:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Science nerd

Any thoughts?

Seems they mercy ruled Valley Springs at the Norfork Classic.

Bergman1820

Valley is not the same team as last season. New coach, new players needing to fill those leader roles, and no big girl to go against Bryant. Norfork did look very good though. And they will make you pay if you leave them open at the three 

HorseFeathers

Think they'd develop a new strategy after living and dying by the 3 while having a solid post player has burnt them in state the last free years

Bears_94

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 19, 2018, 04:49:28 pm
Think they'd develop a new strategy after living and dying by the 3 while having a solid post player has burnt them in state the last free years
I watched them after I left Izard county the other night. I'd say your opinion may be wrong. They played team ball and as bad as I hate to say it they looked good. They will make a good run this year.  They didn't live and die by the three either the post play was on point. I'd be just as worried about the post play as the three. They look pretty strong all the way around... sounds like you weren't there horsefeathers.

Hosea18

Should be playing in state finals

thebigman3

Quote from: Hosea18 on December 13, 2018, 10:38:41 am
Should be playing in state finals
Girls in 1a this year are nice. Viola is your cinderella story.

riccoar

Valley Springs did already beat Wonderview this season.  And Viola has 3 losses.  2 of those to Norfork and the other to 4A Highland.

gobblerfire

Yawn, I could be wrong but I see this as the same old song and dance. They always talk  about the number of 3's they hit and set records. But their schedule tends to be on the lighter side of things with the exception of 1 or 2 games. Then come state tournament time they just can't get over the hump. I'd rather be a .500 team and play stiff competition all year rather than a great record and a cupcake schedule. Win or lose stiff competition only makes you better down the stretch!

Moonshiner

Quote from: gobblerfire on December 14, 2018, 09:48:54 am
Yawn, I could be wrong but I see this as the same old song and dance. They always talk  about the number of 3's they hit and set records. But their schedule tends to be on the lighter side of things with the exception of 1 or 2 games. Then come state tournament time they just can't get over the hump. I'd rather be a .500 team and play stiff competition all year rather than a great record and a cupcake schedule. Win or lose stiff competition only makes you better down the stretch!

Have you looked at their schedule?

jeremiahjohnson

Interesting comment considering they currently have the 2nd strongest SOS in 1a and were consistently 1 are 2 last year in SOS. I think the factual reasons are that they just happened to be really talented at the same time as a really talented Wonderview team. There is not a 1a team other than Wonderview that has been able to play with them in the last couple of years. If this team were down south, they would be the talk of Arkansas.

But I agree, usually the last gam of the year is the only one remmbered.

Bomberman

Who would you like them to schedule?  So far this year out of conference they have played Valley Springs twice, Jasper, Rural Special, Melbourne and getting them again tomorrow, went to Jonesboro and played them very close in a benefit game, Alpena, and they are opening the Mtn. Home tournament vs Farmington and getting either Paragould or Highland in the 2nd game. You can't control who your conference opponents are or how weak or strong they may be. What other 1a girls teams besides Wonderview are scheduling stiff out of conference competition like you want and who are these opponents?

Bears_94

Do you watch Norfork??? Give me a break Norfork doesn't have a weak schedule. I have watched plenty of girls 1a basketball and this team isn't like the last three. They have outside shooters but the post is strong. Three outside girls that will run you ragged. I've watched them several times and they are a solid team. Their post players are good that tall girl has improved since last year.  That other post player can out shoot most high school girl ball players and she will make you pay for a foul at the line. I agree 100% that Wonderview has the strongest conference but if you think Norfork and Viola aren't dancing in the big dance this year you are delusional. Sounds like you might be missing some good basketball this season and it also sounds like you don't know what you are talking about....I have no dog in that fight in that conference but you can bet I respect those two teams. The dynasty is just starting for Viola get used to the name because it'll be around for awhile. Also try to catch some games so you know what you are talking about. Alpena is a really good team and they will be right there with those teams. I love reading comments from people that really know what they are talking about. I have watched Viola five times this year and they are a great team. They are young and they will be making noise.

Motownsportsfan

I see Norfork and Wonderview are both in the tournament at Mt Home. I would love to see them play each other in the finals. That would be good if one of us could win it.

LHHC

How did norfork do against Melbourne yesterday?

Bears_94

I heard they lost by 7. I think Melbourne has a good chance of winning it all in their class this year. The other comment about one of our 1 a winning it all at Mountain Home, I can't see Wonderview or Norfork beating Farmington. They will both at least end up with one loss at that Mountain Home tournament. I have my bets on Farmington winning the whole thing. Norfork and Wonderview both will represent us well though. I look forward to watching them duke it out again down the stretch in state. Once again case in point that they both have tough schedules this year for the cricket man that thinks they have a weak schedule .... YAWN 🙄 Viola looked good yesterday though they beat Guy by a big amount. You can't even guess who is winning it all in girls 1a basketball this year because there are so many good teams. 1 a boys will be Izard county no one is even in the same talk as a contender unless you count Timbo . Yawn ....

Bomberman

Quote from: LHHC on December 16, 2018, 01:01:53 pm
How did norfork do against Melbourne yesterday?
67-61 Melbourne won. It was a pretty good game, Melbourne is a very good team and shot lights out from 3.

Science nerd

Norfork just beat Farmington.

MomaLion

Norfork 61
Farmington 40
Girls final

Cardfan1

Quote from: MomaLion on December 27, 2018, 04:34:10 pm
Norfork 61
Farmington 40
Girls final

Not to split hairs but it was 61-50. Nice team, they played well today. Farmington didn't look like their typical self but you have to credit Norfork for a lot of that. Good guard play for Norfork along with a 6'0 and 6'4 that really take up space defensively and protect the rim. They look to me to be the favorites in 1A or certainly one of the favorites.

MomaLion

You are correct,  I mistyped... sorry about that.

Bears_94

Quote from: MomaLion on December 28, 2018, 09:48:10 am
You are correct,  I mistyped... sorry about that.

I watched a good game with Norfork and Paragould tonight. Norfork has lost two games this year that I watched because their coach isn't playing the right defense. The loss tonight would be completely on  Paragould has a better coach. Their zone defense isn't going to win a state championship. Those girls play a killer man to man and he dropped the ball and lost the game. It baffles me to sit behind his bench and listen to him yelling at his team like he does when their biggest problem is defense. That team has been consistent for years on causing turnovers and scoring. He slows the game down and from what I saw choked as a coach. It's a shame that a team that talented won't ever win a state championship because of poor coaching abilities. I did see Violas coach across the court and if I were him I'd do exactly those things and win a district and regional title by out coaching the opponent. Keep Norfork out of a man to man defense and watch him take posts out at separate times . Viola will end up beating Norfork this year strictly on coaching. Mountain Home played a heck of a game against Watson Chapel tonight and won by two. Wonderview looked horrible at the bail bonds tournament . That's another team that has talent and a coach with bad coaching. Viola may possibly be the Cinderella story this year and it will all come down to coaching. I will definitely be making it to watch them duke it out at districts down there at Izard county because Norfork won't come out on top after what I saw tonight.

Bomberman

December 28, 2018, 11:06:15 pm #21 Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:08:17 pm by Bomberman
Quote from: Bears_94 on December 28, 2018, 10:36:26 pm
I watched a good game with Norfork and Paragould tonight. Norfork has lost two games this year that I watched because their coach isn't playing the right defense. The loss tonight would be completely on  Paragould has a better coach. Their zone defense isn't going to win a state championship. Those girls play a killer man to man and he dropped the ball and lost the game. It baffles me to sit behind his bench and listen to him yelling at his team like he does when their biggest problem is defense. That team has been consistent for years on causing turnovers and scoring. He slows the game down and from what I saw choked as a coach. It's a shame that a team that talented won't ever win a state championship because of poor coaching abilities. I did see Violas coach across the court and if I were him I'd do exactly those things and win a district and regional title by out coaching the opponent. Keep Norfork out of a man to man defense and watch him take posts out at separate times . Viola will end up beating Norfork this year strictly on coaching. Mountain Home played a heck of a game against Watson Chapel tonight and won by two. Wonderview looked horrible at the bail bonds tournament . That's another team that has talent and a coach with bad coaching. Viola may possibly be the Cinderella story this year and it will all come down to coaching. I will definitely be making it to watch them duke it out at districts down there at Izard county because Norfork won't come out on top after what I saw tonight.
Either a whole bunch wrong with this post or we didn't watch the same games at the tournament. First let's start with Wonderview. They haven't looked terrible at all. They have been lights out defensively in both games putting pressure all over the ball. The lit the scoreboard up today as well. They didn't look very good offensively against Watson Chapel but that credit goes to Chapel. Chapel kept pressure on them and the big girl took care of the paint. It came down to the last shot of the game. Then we have Norfork, their defense was solid today.  Held a really good Paragould team to 18 points in the first half. Norfork executed very poorly on offense and couldn't make a shot. I am not downing Viola but hasn't Norfork already beaten them twice? When they get three girls that are 6'2" and are as athletic and shoot as good as those from Paragould then maybe Viola can do the same things to Norfork that Paragould did. Maybe Norfork will win state and maybe they wont but I don't think it will be the defense that holds them back. B.t.w. I do think Viola is very solid and has a few good years coming for them.

Bears_94

You could be right about Chapel and Wonderview. I didn't see Wonderview today. I have watched enough games from Norfork to know they feed their offense off the defense. I watched the game and that didn't happen. Maybe Paragould is better, maybe not but what I saw was a coach not using man to man and a Paragould team that was already tired before the first half was over. Egg laying Laymon doesn't utilize his best players and never has. It will only get him so far. The guard that hasn't scored much this year is looking like things are finally clicking. His guards are talented and so is his post but he isn't using them how they play best together. Do I think they are best in 1 a ??? Absolutely!!That is my point I don't think anyone in 1 a has the talent of Norfork period! You have three guards that can create havoc on any team they play. They are best at man to man! You also have one post that can shoot the ball anywhere on the court and one big girl in the post that should be holding onto to the ball and going up with it. I live in  Izard county and I've watched a lot of Norfork ball. I would love to see them go all the way. I think if they don't figure a few things out Viola will get beat them this year . You can argue with me all night but you still won't convince me the holes in Norfork when you pick them apart isn't from coaching or at least two games lost this year weren't from it. If they lose in state I would put money on it being from playing zone and their coach sitting back and not changing it. Sit back and watch and see how state plays out unfortunately I bet they go home and don't go to Hot Springs. Wonderview isn't better than Norfork . I watched Viola play Wonderview this year and I'm telling you none of those teams are better than Norfork! If they lose in state it won't be because of that team it will be because their coach isn't using his players to their best ability. Period! I won't see them play again until district but I'll be sure to inform you when I'm right Bomeberman. I do hope I have to say I'm wrong though.

Bomberman

Quote from: Bears_94 on December 29, 2018, 12:26:45 am
You could be right about Chapel and Wonderview. I didn't see Wonderview today. I have watched enough games from Norfork to know they feed their offense off the defense. I watched the game and that didn't happen. Maybe Paragould is better, maybe not but what I saw was a coach not using man to man and a Paragould team that was already tired before the first half was over. Egg laying Laymon doesn't utilize his best players and never has. It will only get him so far. The guard that hasn't scored much this year is looking like things are finally clicking. His guards are talented and so is his post but he isn't using them how they play best together. Do I think they are best in 1 a ??? Absolutely!!That is my point I don't think anyone in 1 a has the talent of Norfork period! You have three guards that can create havoc on any team they play. They are best at man to man! You also have one post that can shoot the ball anywhere on the court and one big girl in the post that should be holding onto to the ball and going up with it. I live in  Izard county and I've watched a lot of Norfork ball. I would love to see them go all the way. I think if they don't figure a few things out Viola will get beat them this year . You can argue with me all night but you still won't convince me the holes in Norfork when you pick them apart isn't from coaching or at least two games lost this year weren't from it. If they lose in state I would put money on it being from playing zone and their coach sitting back and not changing it. Sit back and watch and see how state plays out unfortunately I bet they go home and don't go to Hot Springs. Wonderview isn't better than Norfork . I watched Viola play Wonderview this year and I'm telling you none of those teams are better than Norfork! If they lose in state it won't be because of that team it will be because their coach isn't using his players to their best ability. Period! I won't see them play again until district but I'll be sure to inform you when I'm right Bomeberman. I do hope I have to say I'm wrong though.
I am glad you are a better coach than Laymon, maybe you should visit with him and give him some pointers instead of talking about how bad of a coach he is.  I am not sure what you are going to let me know you were right about later. Are you predicting Viola wins district and regionals? If they do feel free to come on here and predict how smart you are and if they dont then heck come on here and say it anyway.

Bomberman

63-38 Norfork girls defeat Watson Chapel

Majorpain

Laymon is a good coach. There really isn't a need to start bashing the coach . Win or lose he cares about his players and some kids don't even have that with a coach. See ya at districts!

Bomberman

Quote from: Majorpain on December 29, 2018, 08:21:15 pm
Laymon is a good coach. There really isn't a need to start bashing the coach . Win or lose he cares about his players and some kids don't even have that with a coach. See ya at districts!
+1

birddawg1986

When did Layne start playing for Norfork ? Thought she was at Mamouth Springs.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: birddawg1986 on December 30, 2018, 11:35:22 am
When did Layne start playing for Norfork ? Thought she was at Mamouth Springs.

This year

MomaLion

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 30, 2018, 12:24:06 pm
This year
How is it that you can keep up with all these schools lol....i'm quite impressed.

J.D.

Quote from: MomaLion on December 31, 2018, 12:01:45 am
How is it that you can keep up with all these schools lol....i'm quite impressed.

He needs to get out more.

HorseFeathers

RedWolf275

After watching a slightly above average 2A team (Marmaduke) beat Viola in the NEA, I don't look for them to be beating Norfork or Wonderview in state.

livelongandprosper

Quote from: RedWolf275 on January 03, 2019, 11:50:51 am
After watching a slightly above average 2A team (Marmaduke) beat Viola in the NEA, I don't look for them to be beating Norfork or Wonderview in state.

Viola was missing their starting post player. I feel like if she would have been there that game might have gone a little differently. I believe she scored 30+ against Wonderview.

ballmember

wonderview also missing one of the top 2 players they have when viola beat them. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas