• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now that we are getting close to the playoffs, how many teams could realistically win it all?

Started by Razorback Red, October 16, 2018, 12:12:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback Red

At the beginning of the season, I made a comment that it was a 5-team race this year: NLR, Bryant, Bville, West and FHS. 

I'll stick with those 5, but I am putting Conway in the mix as well as the 6th team.  They have a ton of interior size. 

I can't see anyone else in the West that can contend, but I could see an argument for NS.  They just haven't proved they can win in the playoffs in several years. 

Here is my attempt to rank in order these 7 teams on likelihood to hoist the trophy:

1.  NLR- clearly look like the team to beat
2.  West- players are getting better even without 3-yr starting QB.  He'll be back soon. 
3.  Fayetteville- Bowers close to healthy.  They need to figure out how to run the ball some. 
4.  Bryant- I'm reluctant to put them ahead of Bville, but will for now.  Talent is there, but have to win a big playoff game. 
5.  Bentonville- less talent on offense than normal, but still a solid D.  Always tough out in playoffs. 
6.  Conway- As long as they don't play NLR, I think they believe they can beat anyone else. 
7.  NS- Great to see them better this year.  I think they could knock off one of the teams I have above them come playoff time. 

Thoughts?  Agree / Disagree?

tj1987

People act like NLR is Alabama just like they did in 2016 when they were favored by everyone especially in Central Ark to win the title.  The score in that Game was 53-19 Fay.  They havent really played better competition this year either.  They beat 5A Booker T from Tulsa that is 4-3 a class below Jenks and Union.  Evangel is also 4-3. Southside that is 3-4 scored 27 on them. They are good but maybe not as good as people think

RamblinWest

I think BHS is too low.  Until someone from the West beats Bentonville, they have to be the favorites to get back to War Memorial.

sportsguy80

Quote from: tj1987 on October 16, 2018, 02:03:04 pm
People act like NLR is Alabama just like they did in 2016 when they were favored by everyone especially in Central Ark to win the title.  The score in that Game was 53-19 Fay.  They havent really played better competition this year either.  They beat 5A Booker T from Tulsa that is 4-3 a class below Jenks and Union.  Evangel is also 4-3. Southside that is 3-4 scored 27 on them. They are good but maybe not as good as people think
I kinda get what you're saying but the old argument goes they're the champs until someone beats them.

ArgentaNLR

Yep, and 13 of the 27 Southside scored was in the second half with NLR up 49-14 and the mercy rule in effect.  Those 13 points were also scored against the NLR reserves by the Southside starters who stayed in the game until late in the 4th qtr.  Would not want to play NLR this year

Yellowcake

I'm a West guy, but this could be the year it's an all central final. NLR and Bryant are good. Very good.

tj1987

Quote from: ArgentaNLR on October 16, 2018, 09:02:28 pm
Yep, and 13 of the 27 Southside scored was in the second half with NLR up 49-14 and the mercy rule in effect.  Those 13 points were also scored against the NLR reserves by the Southside starters who stayed in the game until late in the 4th qtr.  Would not want to play NLR this year
Thats what EVERYONE said in 2016 when they were 12-0 and essentially mercy ruled in the state title game by Fay. The combined socres on the last 2 games of Fay against NLR 106-33. In BOTH games NLR was said to be the better team especially in Central AR.   The main reason is they don't see the same level of QB play and offensive sophistication  in the central.  That may be true about the Southside game but still doesnt make their schedule or wins any more impressive.  Bixby beat Booker T by 2 TD's and they are a lower classification school than NLR.  Anyone who watched that game knows NLR was lucky to win.  Like I said they are good for sure but not as good as people think.

francocat

Quote from: tj1987 on October 17, 2018, 07:33:18 am
Thats what EVERYONE said in 2016 when they were 12-0 and essentially mercy ruled in the state title game by Fay. The combined socres on the last 2 games of Fay against NLR 106-33. In BOTH games NLR was said to be the better team especially in Central AR.   The main reason is they don't see the same level of QB play and offensive sophistication  in the central.  That may be true about the Southside game but still doesnt make their schedule or wins any more impressive.  Bixby beat Booker T by 2 TD's and they are a lower classification school than NLR.  Anyone who watched that game knows NLR was lucky to win.  Like I said they are good for sure but not as good as people think.

No doubt in some past years, the West QB play has been stellar with a number of D1 QB's. Doesn't take a "sophisticated" offense when you have the horse to ride. NLR has had a few brief moments when they lost interest, but they are coached hard (I didn't say well) & they will flat out pound you.
The NLR size & depth (that they didn't yet have in 2016) will out-do any type of finesse you want to lay out there. Frankly, I can't stand them, but they are the real deal.

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

I believe NLR's offense is more sophisticated than anything in the West, in terms of complexity, depth, and variety.

francocat

Quote from: GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over on October 17, 2018, 11:14:41 am
I believe NLR's offense is more sophisticated than anything in the West, in terms of complexity, depth, and variety.
Well, I doubt that. NLR does have a deeper playbook than one might expect, but that only distracts them. They cause themselves trouble when they decide to get "cute", so they go back to the basic student-body-left (or right). You might stop it for a while, but you won't all night.

tj1987

Quote from: francocat on October 17, 2018, 10:47:42 am
No doubt in some past years, the West QB play has been stellar with a number of D1 QB's. Doesn't take a "sophisticated" offense when you have the horse to ride. NLR has had a few brief moments when they lost interest, but they are coached hard (I didn't say well) & they will flat out pound you.
The NLR size & depth (that they didn't yet have in 2016) will out-do any type of finesse you want to lay out there. Frankly, I can't stand them, but they are the real deal.
Finesse?  Thats funny.  Fay surely didnt play finesse ball on defense against Bryant earlier in the year when they beat them at Bryant.  And AGAIN its the same everyone heard in 16 that they were "SO PHYSICAL".  Watch the film and you will see the NLR guys literally running away from blocks in the 3rd and 4th quarter because they were getting smoked.  AGAIN they beat barley beat a 4-3 lower classification team Booker T by 1 point and have played really nobody else.  They are good but in NO WAY are they great.  Fay's 15 and 16 team had 9 SEC players, how may does NLR have?  You see what i mean?  They are good not GREAT.

tj1987

Quote from: GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over on October 17, 2018, 11:14:41 am
Watch more football.  A sub-par Bentonville team almost beat them last year on scheme.  NLR is good but far from great.

francocat

TJ: I get the point you're repeatedly making (good but not great), but you're talking in circles. If you're saying FV had 9 D1 players in 15-16 (& NLR did not), then FV should have won. No one has multiple D1 players in 2018. The dominance in the West has been hurt by the splitting of the schools & therefore weakened the recruiting. NLR likely has zero D1 players in 2018, but they have depth everywhere & they are not hampered in the same recruiting way because they are the school of choice right now in C AR. Guess we'll see, but if your best bet (currently) is BV (& Conway beat them) vs. NLR (Conway got crushed), then good luck to the West.   

footballfan-tastic

Just wondering how many games you have seen the Charging Wildcats play?  Sure anyone can make a claim about being good but not that good when the opponents records are not wins.  Of course you need to look at who the losses came too.  If you do that you will find that NLR played a pretty impressive NONCON schedule.  Oh and why did no teams in Arkansas at any level want to play them in noncon.  I understand they started trying to fill those spots before the last cycle ended and nobody wanted any. 

footballfan-tastic

According the MAXPREP who ranks about everyone across the country and state by stae.
Booker T, 4-3 this is true. BTW is ranked #7 in OK.  Lost to HornLake MS the #1 team in that state, Bixby OK the #4 team in that state and NLR, the #1 team in AR.
Evangei Christian LA, 4-3 again true. ECS is ranked #10 in LA.  Another tradition rich football school.  Losses to Bishop Dunne TX, a traditionally rich school and while maybe not their greatest year they are still ranked in top 50 in TX. Loss to Duncanville TX who is ranked 5th in TX and 29th nationally.   Lost to NLR, #1 in AR.
Memphis TN Whitehaven, 6-2 and ranked #14 in TN. Lost to Lausanne Collegiate who is 7-0 and ranked # 12 in TN. 

How good are these teams, well glad you brought it up.
BTW had 5 players with power 5 offers and the #1 ranked athlete in the nation.
ECS had two D 1 players.
Whitehaven had 4 power 5 D1's on its offense and at least 2 on defense.

How many Arkansas teams play a schedule like that in the NONCON?  How many want too?  You can say some of those teams have losses but look who they lost games to.  That's key. Highly ranked in their individual states and several are top 100 nationally as well.

Little Rock Central.  Oh year 7-0 and #1 in AR.
NLR has taken on all comers.  Lets look at some of their games.
Scored 38 on central by halftime, 49 on Southside by half, Conway scored 14 in 1st half but NLR beat Conway 21-0 in second half and didn't allow a first down. That's the only conference test they have had.  Rose to the challenge in second half and shut it down. (Conway ranked #3 in AR), Mercy rule on Catholic in 3rd qtr. 

History,
NLR under coach Mitchell. Haven't lost  a conference game since Mitchell's first year and that was the first conference game that year.
Lost one game in 3 years since and that was in state championship. Conference record is 24-1.  Lost first 4 games at NLR and since then he is 39-2.   Yeah, nothing to write home about. 

Got any team in state with those creditionals?  Any team with wins of that quality? 

So to paraphrase Rick Flair, "you wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best"!!!

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: tj1987 on October 17, 2018, 11:59:48 am
Watch more football.  A sub-par Bentonville team almost beat them last year on scheme.  NLR is good but far from great.

By the way, the experts say even the best of the best teams, the great ones like Bama for instance, only get up to their peak point about 4 games a year, the rest they win because they are just better than you.   
When you beat them you can talk. 

businesstron

Have you actually watched them play?  They are good or I would say they are good enough  to be the favorite that they are.  Booker T is a good team.  Look who they've lost too.   NLR(7-0),  Horn Lake (#1 team in Mississippi 7-0) and then Bixby(6-1 and their only loss is to Jenks).   For the last couple of years it's either been them or Bixby winning the 6a title and even though they are a div 2 team in their good. 

Let's be real nothing on any of the 7a West schools schedule(non conference or conference)  is stronger than any of NLR wins.  Owasso and Booker T are comparable.  Booker T has a better defense though....and maybe more talent (Owasso has the numbers though).  But who else has the West beaten?  No good teams in the Central and no other regional powers.    NLR can atleast say they beat Whitehaven, a team that'll probably at the very least get to the Semis in the biggest class in Tennesseee and they have over a doze D1 athletes on their roster.    NLR ran over them.

While Fayetteville, Bentonville and Bentonville west will be intriguing matchups for NLR.  As of right now I'll take NLR to win against all of them.  Fayetteville and West would hit some big plays on them but I don't think they are stopping NLR.    Bentonville's a harder matchup because they are more balanced and play decent defense but I couldn't say they'd beat them right now....especially if they aren't as good as last year's team. 

Also I don't remember NLR being heavily favored in 2016.   Fayetteville was the favorite the whole year because they had a loaded team.   If anything NLR overachieved that year because they were breaking in a new coach and they were also a young team.   There wouldn't of been any reason for NLR to be a heavy favorite because the West had won like the last 10 state championships before that.  The best they got was that it would be a competitive game and I think it was for a close to a half.   But using that game is not a good comparison to today.   

Fayetteville isn't close to be as talented as that team and NLR is a better team more disciplined to this year. 

footballfan-tastic

I'm pretty sure they don't count "almost" wins as championships.  Having great players doesn't always equate to great teams, performance does.

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

Bentonville is a basic run of the mill spread team. NLR runs I, wing, and shotgun. I'll give you their defense may not be complex, but then again when you can run with anyone vanilla is a sound strategy.

Razorback Red

Well this thread kind of derailed a bit.  I'll attempt to get it back on track.  The point is who has the best chance to win it all this year.  Regardless of anyone's personal opinion on one team or another, NLR is undefeated and the defending champs.  That would put them as the favorite until someone beats them. 

Do I think they are elite, no, but they are a very good HS football team.  So is Bryant, West, FHS, Bville and Conway.  I believe any of those 6 teams are capable of putting a run together, some more likely than others. 

The other comment I'll make is regarding OK HS football.  Neither Bixby or BTW are lower classifications, OK simply divides 6A into D1 and D1.  Texas does the same.  Those are still very good teams and loaded with talent year in and year out.  In some states, lower class doesn't tell the entire story.  Bville lost to 5A Aledo, TX, who would soundly beat any team in AR this year. 

Back to the topic, other than NLR I am curious to hear the arguments as to who else has what it takes to win it all.

I'll take a stab at talking up my Tigers (you all know I think they are down, but here is why I believe they can win it all).

1.  Balance- BHS is not just known for offense, they play some D as well.  They will need to improve the run D against better teams.
2.  Mental toughness- BHS typically doesn't beat themselves. They have really smart players all over the field that understand each role.
3.  Special teams- The kicking game always comes into play come playoff time and Younger is as good as anyone
4.  Tradition/Experience- The expectation in Bentonville is anything less than a title appearance is a bad season.  Right or wrong, that is the expectation now and the student athletes all know it.  Very refreshing to those of us that remember the good ol' days in Bville.

Razorback Red

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 17, 2018, 03:07:41 pm
According the MAXPREP who ranks about everyone across the country and state by stae.
Booker T, 4-3 this is true. BTW is ranked #7 in OK.  Lost to HornLake MS the #1 team in that state, Bixby OK the #4 team in that state and NLR, the #1 team in AR.
Evangei Christian LA, 4-3 again true. ECS is ranked #10 in LA.  Another tradition rich football school.  Losses to Bishop Dunne TX, a traditionally rich school and while maybe not their greatest year they are still ranked in top 50 in TX. Loss to Duncanville TX who is ranked 5th in TX and 29th nationally.   Lost to NLR, #1 in AR.
Memphis TN Whitehaven, 6-2 and ranked #14 in TN. Lost to Lausanne Collegiate who is 7-0 and ranked # 12 in TN. 

ECS had two D 1 players.

How many Arkansas teams play a schedule like that in the NONCON?  How many want too?  You can say some of those teams have losses but look who they lost games to.  That's key. Highly ranked in their individual states and several are top 100 nationally as well.

Scored 38 on central by halftime, 49 on Southside by half, Conway scored 14 in 1st half but NLR beat Conway 21-0 in second half and didn't allow a first down. That's the only conference test they have had.  Rose to the challenge in second half and shut it down. (Conway ranked #3 in AR), Mercy rule on Catholic in 3rd qtr. 

History,
NLR under coach Mitchell. Haven't lost  a conference game since Mitchell's first year and that was the first conference game that year.
Lost one game in 3 years since and that was in state championship. Conference record is 24-1.  Lost first 4 games at NLR and since then he is 39-2.   Yeah, nothing to write home about. 

Got any team in state with those creditionals?  Any team with wins of that quality? 

So to paraphrase Rick Flair, "you wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best"!!!

It's good to see NLR step up and join the party.  I'm really glad to see the tough noncon schedule, it will help them.  This is their first year to step up, both Bville and Fville (and Harber and now West) have been doing it for several seasons.  Potential losses in noncon just don't matter, it's all about getting better. 

NLR has had the athletes for years, amazing what a new coaching staff can do in just a few seasons.  It's good for all of AR IMO.  As much as I enjoyed the Bville / FHS dominance for a decade, it's not good for the overall state. 

PA Dad

Quote from: Razorback Red on October 17, 2018, 04:45:30 pm
It's good to see NLR step up and join the party.  I'm really glad to see the tough noncon schedule, it will help them.  This is their first year to step up, both Bville and Fville (and Harber and now West) have been doing it for several seasons.  Potential losses in noncon just don't matter, it's all about getting better. 

NLR has had the athletes for years, amazing what a new coaching staff can do in just a few seasons.  It's good for all of AR IMO.  As much as I enjoyed the Bville / FHS dominance for a decade, it's not good for the overall state.

I think you are dead on with the new coaching staff.  NLR has had good talent for years.  This coaching staff knows what to do with it.

5tooldad

I think NLR is without question the team to beat.   

The West is in a bit of a down cycle the last couple years.   That's not to say that on any given Friday no west team would stand a chance, but any team I've seen in the West would have to bring their A+ game to have that chance and scheme would have to be a factor. 

Bentonville and MAYBE Fayetteville are the only two teams from the West who could even think about it.   

IMO

tj1987

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 17, 2018, 03:07:41 pm

ECS had two D 1 players.

History,

How many titles does NLR Have in the last 10 years??  That would be 1 in a VERY tight game under QUESTIONABLE circumstances to a Bentonville team that was FAR from the best they have had.  Brag about barely beating a LOWER classification school in OK?   OK great more power to you. I have watched NLR  and their QB play in no where near the level of a lot the teams that have won multiple championships in the past 10-12 years.  They also cut block a high percentage of the time in pass protection.  Is that what all big time O-lines do a elite HS programs?  That would be no.  Look they have athletes and are a GOOD team but please please know they are not elite. Their 2016 was more dominant and some of their other teams had more individual talent as well. Last 2 games they played against Fay 106-33.  Wish I had more time to address all of the other things you talked about.   One suggestion is watch more elite HS teams play and you will see what I am talking about.  NLR is a really nice team just not elite yet.

tj1987

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 17, 2018, 03:10:55 pm
By the way, the experts say even the best of the best teams, the great ones like Bama for instance, only get up to their peak point about 4 games a year, the rest they win because they are just better than you.   
When you beat them you can talk.
106-33  Do those numbers mean anything to you?

tj1987

Quote from: businesstron on October 17, 2018, 03:25:01 pm
Have you actually watched them play?  They are good or I would say they are good enough  to be the favorite that they are.  Booker T is a good team.  Look who they've lost too.   NLR(7-0),  Horn Lake (#1 team in Mississippi 7-0) and then Bixby(6-1 and their only loss is to Jenks).   For the last couple of years it's either been them or Bixby winning the 6a title and even though they are a div 2 team in their good. 

Let's be real nothing on any of the 7a West schools schedule(non conference or conference)  is stronger than any of NLR wins.  Owasso and Booker T are comparable.  Booker T has a better defense though....and maybe more talent (Owasso has the numbers though).  But who else has the West beaten?  No good teams in the Central and no other regional powers.    NLR can atleast say they beat Whitehaven, a team that'll probably at the very least get to the Semis in the biggest class in Tennesseee and they have over a doze D1 athletes on their roster.    NLR ran over them.

While Fayetteville, Bentonville and Bentonville west will be intriguing matchups for NLR.  As of right now I'll take NLR to win against all of them.  Fayetteville and West would hit some big plays on them but I don't think they are stopping NLR.    Bentonville's a harder matchup because they are more balanced and play decent defense but I couldn't say they'd beat them right now....especially if they aren't as good as last year's team. 

Also I don't remember NLR being heavily favored in 2016.   Fayetteville was the favorite the whole year because they had a loaded team.   If anything NLR overachieved that year because they were breaking in a new coach and they were also a young team.   There wouldn't of been any reason for NLR to be a heavy favorite because the West had won like the last 10 state championships before that.  The best they got was that it would be a competitive game and I think it was for a close to a half.   But using that game is not a good comparison to today.   

Fayetteville isn't close to be as talented as that team and NLR is a better team more disciplined to this year.
You are incorrect.  NLR was #1 all year and favored by everyone in Central AR especially.  It was big bulletin board material back then and used a motivator going into the playoffs.  Hootens had Fay ranked 4th in the state that year later in the season, which was inane.  The bias in Central AR is mostly because NWA is just a better place to live and there is a palpable dislike for that in the LR area.  That perpetuates in everything from HS football rankings to the Razorback stadium debate.

Walter

In two weeks we will know just how strong Bryant is. Every game I see improvement. They are not a one dimensional team.

businesstron

Quote from: tj1987 on October 18, 2018, 07:01:23 am
You are incorrect.  NLR was #1 all year and favored by everyone in Central AR especially.  It was big bulletin board material back then and used a motivator going into the playoffs.  Hootens had Fay ranked 4th in the state that year later in the season, which was inane.  The bias in Central AR is mostly because NWA is just a better place to live and there is a palpable dislike for that in the LR area.  That perpetuates in everything from HS football rankings to the Razorback stadium debate.

I'm sorry but I'm a have to call bull on this for a few reasons.

1. It'd be stupid to rank NLR #1 coming into that year because that was Mitchell's second year and they had a young team.
2. Fayetteville on the other even though they were breaking in a new coach had a team so loaded people predicted that they still would win the title.  That might've been one of their best teams of all time.

Now there probably were a couple of people(probably mostly homers) in Central Arkansas that had NLR ranked over Fayettevile during the year...especially after they lost to Bentonville in the regular season but the overall consensus was Fayetteville was the favorite.  You can go back 6 or 7 pages on this board and see that. 

Now maybe Coach Blankenship got his team to think that they were underdogs the whole season but he had to do some digging for that. 

AHS06

Quote from: businesstron on October 17, 2018, 03:25:01 pm

IMO the West division just doesn't want to give credit to the Central.  The Central has the best team and top to bottom are the better division.

ArgentaNLR

NLR used to be the team everybody hated and there were some reasons for that.  But under Mitchell, this is a different team and different program.  I suspect it will take a few more years for most to grudgingly admit that.  FYI, I hear some at NLR feel next year may be their best team as far as talent goes.  That may be scary.

footballfan-tastic

TJ, you say they were not that good.  That's your opinion.  Nobody said they had been champions 2 or 3 or 6 for whatever over the last decade.  Where you get that crap.  You are trying to make a case that doesn't exist.  NLR under coach Mitchell is what we are talking about, in the last 4 seasons look at the development, winning the championship last year.  Results speak for themselves at the moment. Look at how their season is going, playing quality teams and winning, let me say that again.  Playing quality teams and winning.  Those are not my opinions, those opinions come from a national HS ranking entity.  Sounds to me like whatever team you prefer is struggling and you are having issues dealing with it.  You may not like it but go cry someplace else.  Right now NLR is winning and doing it against top ranked teams from around the south.  If you like give me your team and I'll gladly look up their schedule and see how they are doing.  I'm pretty sure nobody said NLR cannot still improve, but what team cannot?  The facts are what they are, they have distinguished themselves in the opinion of many.  Maybe they will not win the championship and then you can go on an "I told yo so", rant.  Well, just be sure you have a nice big plate of crow, you very well may need it.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: tj1987 on October 18, 2018, 07:01:23 am
\

You may be slightly off on what you think you remember.   This is from Hootens.
Hootens.com Rankings
Class 7A, Week 4, 2016
Copyright Hooten Publishing, Inc.
1. Fayetteville (3-0)
2. Springdale Har-Ber (2-1)
3. North LR (3-0)
4. Cabot (3-0)
5. FS Southside (1-2)

You sound really bitter.

WestTiger

RED,  I think you might be sleeping on Springdale.  They are 6-1 with two tough games coming up against Fayetteville and Bentonville. 

My personal take is if WJ is back for West for the B'ville game, then they have the best chance out of the West to win it all, regardless of how the BHS vs BWHS ends.

Razorback Red

Quote from: WestTiger on October 18, 2018, 08:46:29 pm
RED,  I think you might be sleeping on Springdale.  They are 6-1 with two tough games coming up against Fayetteville and Bentonville. 

My personal take is if WJ is back for West for the B'ville game, then they have the best chance out of the West to win it all, regardless of how the BHS vs BWHS ends.

Could be, and if I am I'll admit I was wrong.  I like what SHS has done in rebuilding.  Problem so far this year is they've played 1 really good team and lost.  They will more than likely finish 7-3 with really no big wins. 

They have a very good chance tomorrow night to prove me wrong. 

Razorback Red

Quote from: AHS06 on October 18, 2018, 10:18:30 am
IMO the West division just doesn't want to give credit to the Central.  The Central has the best team and top to bottom are the better division.

I know you are prob not talking to me, but I'm not sure there is a great deal of diff this year from top to bottom.  Personally I think there are 4 good teams in the Central and 3 in the West, so I'll give Central the slight edge. 

As for the best team, we don't know yet. IMO there is not an elite team this year, nor was there last year.  NLR and Bryant both appear very strong, but don't count out the big 3 from the West just yet.  Any of the 3 could run the table. 

businesstron

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 18, 2018, 08:43:35 pm
\

You may be slightly off on what you think you remember.   This is from Hootens.
Hootens.com Rankings
Class 7A, Week 4, 2016
Copyright Hooten Publishing, Inc.
1. Fayetteville (3-0)
2. Springdale Har-Ber (2-1)
3. North LR (3-0)
4. Cabot (3-0)
5. FS Southside (1-2)

You sound really bitter.

Just to add to that in the the 2016 edition of the Hooten preview they had NLR at 5 with Southside and Cabot in front of them.    I will say this though.  I watched a little bit of the 2016 state game last night and they did say in the pre game someone in the Democrate Gazette had picked NLR to win the game.  It is also realistic that people would've rank NLR above Fayetteville at some point in the season after they lost to Bentonville but the majority of folks had Fayetteville or Harber being the heavy favorites. 

LH_DAD

Quote from: Razorback Red on October 18, 2018, 09:01:57 pm
Could be, and if I am I'll admit I was wrong.  I like what SHS has done in rebuilding.  Problem so far this year is they've played 1 really good team and lost.  They will more than likely finish 7-3 with really no big wins. 

They have a very good chance tomorrow night to prove me wrong.
I like the fact that Springdale has improved, but I totally agree with you.

bbishop

Quote from: francocat on October 17, 2018, 12:57:35 pm
TJ: I get the point you're repeatedly making (good but not great), but you're talking in circles. If you're saying FV had 9 D1 players in 15-16 (& NLR did not), then FV should have won. No one has multiple D1 players in 2018. The dominance in the West has been hurt by the splitting of the schools & therefore weakened the recruiting. NLR likely has zero D1 players in 2018, but they have depth everywhere & they are not hampered in the same recruiting way because they are the school of choice right now in C AR. Guess we'll see, but if your best bet (currently) is BV (& Conway beat them) vs. NLR (Conway got crushed), then good luck to the West.   
NLR has 2 players verbally committed to D1 schools. Not power 5 schools, but D1.  1 committed to Memphis and 1 to North Texas.  Others have offers but have no committed.  At least 2 more have offers from UT Martin.

Razorback Red

Quote from: Razorback Red on October 16, 2018, 12:12:41 pm
At the beginning of the season, I made a comment that it was a 5-team race this year: NLR, Bryant, Bville, West and FHS. 

I'll stick with those 5, but I am putting Conway in the mix as well as the 6th team.  They have a ton of interior size. 

I can't see anyone else in the West that can contend, but I could see an argument for NS.  They just haven't proved they can win in the playoffs in several years. 

Here is my attempt to rank in order these 7 teams on likelihood to hoist the trophy:

1.  NLR- clearly look like the team to beat
2.  West- players are getting better even without 3-yr starting QB.  He'll be back soon. 
3.  Fayetteville- Bowers close to healthy.  They need to figure out how to run the ball some. 
4.  Bryant- I'm reluctant to put them ahead of Bville, but will for now.  Talent is there, but have to win a big playoff game. 
5.  Bentonville- less talent on offense than normal, but still a solid D.  Always tough out in playoffs. 
6.  Conway- As long as they don't play NLR, I think they believe they can beat anyone else. 
7.  NS- Great to see them better this year.  I think they could knock off one of the teams I have above them come playoff time. 

Thoughts?  Agree / Disagree?

No changes to my top 6 after another week.  The only change I'll make it dropping NS from consideration.  Maybe could win a playoff game, but not seeing enough to think they could hoist the trophy. 

footballfan-tastic

Bryant/NLR should be one of the better games in conference this year but I think NLR is just the overall stronger team, NLR by 21. 

tj1987

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 18, 2018, 08:17:53 pm
TJ, you say they were not that good.  That's your opinion.  Nobody said they had been champions 2 or 3 or 6 for whatever over the last decade.  Where you get that crap.  You are trying to make a case that doesn't exist.  NLR under coach Mitchell is what we are talking about, in the last 4 seasons look at the development, winning the championship last year.  Results speak for themselves at the moment. Look at how their season is going, playing quality teams and winning, let me say that again.  Playing quality teams and winning.  Those are not my opinions, those opinions come from a national HS ranking entity.  Sounds to me like whatever team you prefer is struggling and you are having issues dealing with it.  You may not like it but go cry someplace else.  Right now NLR is winning and doing it against top ranked teams from around the south.  If you like give me your team and I'll gladly look up their schedule and see how they are doing.  I'm pretty sure nobody said NLR cannot still improve, but what team cannot?  The facts are what they are, they have distinguished themselves in the opinion of many.  Maybe they will not win the championship and then you can go on an "I told yo so", rant.  Well, just be sure you have a nice big plate of crow, you very well may need it.
I won't start on the insults, I'll be polite. No crow to eat here- they may win the state title this year, in fact I think they should.  IMO (I have watched them) they are not an elite team and have sub standard QB play. You are correct NLR have been good for 11 months straight.  You are stating OPINION about HOW good YOU think they are and so am i.  They are defending state champs and I said they were "GOOD" MANY TIMES. What more do you want?  I just dont think they are ELITE and that is an opinion that is valid.  YOU dont have to agree with my opinion, but it is shared by many.   

TrenchHogs

Any of the top 4 in the West vs NLR for the title is my guess. Title goes to the West in my opinion.

grizz

We have played both (although less than a half against Bryant).
NLR is clearly the best team in the state.
Doesn't matter how many D1 commits they have, or how many are mid-major.  They are on a different level than anyone else Northside has seen.
They are not only more physical, they execute very well, scheme very well, and swarm on defense unlike anyone else we have seen.  Really well coached bunch. 
I guess anything can happpen in any one ballgame, but they shouldn't lose this year.

Da Truff

businesstron

Quote from: tj1987 on October 24, 2018, 09:03:48 am
I won't start on the insults, I'll be polite. No crow to eat here- they may win the state title this year, in fact I think they should.  IMO (I have watched them) they are not an elite team and have sub standard QB play. You are correct NLR have been good for 11 months straight.  You are stating OPINION about HOW good YOU think they are and so am i.  They are defending state champs and I said they were "GOOD" MANY TIMES. What more do you want?  I just dont think they are ELITE and that is an opinion that is valid.  YOU dont have to agree with my opinion, but it is shared by many.   

Elite compared to who?  As far as this year and last year goes are elite.   As far as qb play what makes their qb play sub standard?   QB wouldn't be the first metric I'd look at when comparing a team like NLR to anyone else.   They don't put as much on their QB to win games as the teams in the west do. 

tj1987

Quote from: businesstron on October 26, 2018, 03:16:56 am
Elite compared to who?  As far as this year and last year goes are elite.   As far as qb play what makes their qb play sub standard?   QB wouldn't be the first metric I'd look at when comparing a team like NLR to anyone else.   They don't put as much on their QB to win games as the teams in the west do.
I can't talk to someone who doesn't understand my last post. What makes their QB play sub par?  Have you watched them? It's very simple -they don't put as much on their QB because they CAN'T. This fact limits them and is a big reason why they are good but not Elite when compared to top teams of the past.  LAST STATEMENT- They would get rolled by virtually any of the Fay or Bentonville Championship teams of the past 10-12 years.  Case closed.

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

Quote from: tj1987 on October 26, 2018, 08:27:12 am
I can't talk to someone who doesn't understand my last post. What makes their QB play sub par?  Have you watched them? It's very simple -they don't put as much on their QB because they CAN'T. This fact limits them and is a big reason why they are good but not Elite when compared to top teams of the past.  LAST STATEMENT- They would get rolled by virtually any of the Fay or Bentonville Championship teams of the past 10-12 years.  Case closed.

NLR puts a lot on their quarterback: they throw pop fades out wide to one and one matchups, not a 3-on-2 bubble screen like most spread teams. NLR runs a lot of shifts, lots of personnel groupings, and the most expansive playbook in the state. They run basically every kind of offense. Coach Mitchell is the best coach in 7A, and NLR is the best team in 7A.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: tj1987 on October 24, 2018, 09:03:48 am

Elite or not in your opinion.  Would get rolled in your opinion.  Subpar QB in your opinion.  You seem to clearly be unhappy that NLR is getting touted as a great team instead of some NWA teams.  It's a shame you can't just let these kids and coaches enjoy the fruits of their labor. 

tj1987

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 26, 2018, 10:52:55 am
Elite or not in your opinion.  Would get rolled in your opinion.  Subpar QB in your opinion.  You seem to clearly be unhappy that NLR is getting touted as a great team instead of some NWA teams.  It's a shame you can't just let these kids and coaches enjoy the fruits of their labor.
I never said I wasn't happy for them or that were not good- and it is nothing personal.  You seem to be taking it very personally.  How could I possibly keep them from enjoying the fruits of their labor by simply stating I think they are a good team just not one of the elite state teams that I have seen.  Good for them and seriously good for you as a fan.  Everyone deserves to be happy for their accomplishments. This is a page of opinions and IMO they dont have the elite players or QB that some of the teams I've seen in the past.   Good luck to them the rest of the way.  I hope they end the season healthy and happy.

businesstron

What makes you think they can't?   You've already proven you don't know what your talking about on this post once and actually a few times last year.  At this point it's kind of stupid to compare THIS years team to teams of the past that have already won a state title.  Especially in a thread that's talking specially about teams THIS year.   Your the only one making that comparison.

But back to NLR's QB.  That's a stupid argument.  Your basically saying all the teams of the past are better then this NLR team because they put more on their QB.  In that case Bentonville West should've beat Conway in the Playoffs last year and Fayetteville should've beat Bryant twice last year. 

You still ain't explained in detail what makes NLR's qb play sub par.   Everybody ain't gonna be QB centric like Fayetteville has been the last decade.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas