• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Injured Player Protocol

Started by dirtybird12, October 15, 2018, 10:07:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtybird12

Curious to hear what your team does when an opposing player gets injured. Conventional wisdom says take a knee, yet I know some programs do not do this, with their rationale being to prevent cramping.

Thoughts?

$aintMaximu$

Take a knee unless it is something minor like cramping.  Then you typically see kids hydrating...

Redskin2015

Oldbadger

October 15, 2018, 11:03:56 am #3 Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 11:08:16 am by Oldbadger
I'm not sure it would be called a protocol, but, as a sign of compassion and respect for the injured player. It is a way to show concern for that player. I have seen and agree to the teams moving to the sideline, still on the field, and then take a knee and hydrate. The coach could also use this time to give more instruction to the team similar to a called timeout. During the Eldo game with Benton an Eldo player was injured. Coach Reed moved his players to the sideline and did what I mentioned above, as did Coach Harris. Coach Harris left his team with the coaches and went to the injured player along with his trainer to offer any assistance to the injured player. Coach Reed and his trainer was already there. This was a good example of a proper procedure following an injury.

cuckoobird

Go to the sideline get instructions from your coach. Treat it just like a timeout unless it ends up serious and the strtcher is brought out. Unless you can't walk, an injured player should get off the field. If your shoulder hurts your legs work!!! Too much laying around on the field these days and it could change the momentum your team has. Stop flopping young people it's unbecoming of a true football player

HeberFan

Take a knee and show a little class.

If somebody cramps up while taking a knee, send them to the dance team.

cuckoobird

October 15, 2018, 01:42:32 pm #6 Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 01:47:19 pm by cuckoobird
Taking a knee doesn't show class any more than going to the sideline and getting coached. I remember when a heber fan was yelling across the field for the ricebirds to take a knee when a heber player was down a few years ago. That was way worse than Stuttgart taking instructions. Not to mention the kid got up and walked off the field and was back in the game a few plays later. Honestly I think there should be a delay of game penalty when someone flops like that

HeberFan

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 15, 2018, 01:42:32 pm
Taking a knee doesn't show class any more than going to the sideline and getting coached. I remember when a heber fan was yelling across the field for the ricebirds to take a knee when a heber player was down a few years ago. That was way worse than Stuttgart taking instructions. Not to mention the kid got up and walked off the field and was back in the game a few plays later. Honestly I think there should be a delay of game penalty when someone flops like that

Taking a knee shows respect, like, placing a hand over the heart shows respect for the flag. That's just my opinion. You are free to have your own, Colin.

mossflyer

What does taking a knee have to do with anything. If taking a knee is the coach's instructions for his team during an injury timeout, that is fine with me.  If not, that's fine with me too. As long as there isn't any taunting or other bad behavior during the timeout, move on...it's a non-issue.

HeberFan

Quote from: mossflyer on October 15, 2018, 01:52:06 pm
What does taking a knee have to do with anything. If taking a knee is the coach's instructions for his team during an injury timeout, that is fine with me.  If not, that's fine with me too. As long as there isn't any taunting or other bad behavior during the timeout, move on...it's a non-issue.

It becomes an issues when one team shows respect and the other does not. All a matter of opinion, and besides, if a team is upset they can always bash their opponents on the next series.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: mossflyer on October 15, 2018, 01:52:06 pm

Yep, this is the correct answer.

When did taking a knee start anyway? Seems like about 10-12 years ago? I have no problem with it, but certainly don't care if a team chooses not to.

HeberFan

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 15, 2018, 01:56:11 pm
Yep, this is the correct answer.

When did taking a knee start anyway? Seems like about 10-12 years ago? I have no problem with it, but certainly don't care if a team chooses not to.

Inaction is an action.

mossflyer

A serious question...to whom is the respect intended by kneeling?  The injured player, the opposing team, the fans, all of the above? 

HeberFan

Quote from: mossflyer on October 15, 2018, 01:59:47 pm
A serious question...to whom is the respect intended by kneeling?  The injured player, the opposing team, the fans, all of the above?

The same as in any other act of respect -- all of the above.

HeberFan

Just can't handle the excuse of "We can't kneel because we might cramp!"

Get mommy to come down to the sidelines and kiss that boo boo.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: HeberFan on October 15, 2018, 02:04:11 pm
Just can't handle the excuse of "We can't kneel because we might cramp!"

Get mommy to come down to the sidelines and kiss that boo boo.

Get mommy to come to down and pat that little offended head of yours.

"Look mommy, they're not kneeling for little Johnny! I don't want to play anymore!"  :'(

mossflyer

That's understandable. It probably is an excuse...but what if the kneeling player does cramp and another injury timeout must be called...should the other team kneel?

HeberFan

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 15, 2018, 02:09:27 pm
Get mommy to come to down and pat that little offended head of yours.

"Look mommy, they're not kneeling for little Johnny! I don't want to play anymore!"  :'(

So now you see my point. Neither side is 100% right.

HeberFan

October 15, 2018, 02:17:21 pm #18 Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:21:50 pm by HeberFan
Quote from: mossflyer on October 15, 2018, 02:10:40 pm
That’s understandable. It probably is an excuse...but what if the kneeling player does cramp and another injury timeout must be called...should the other team kneel?

Cramping is caused by overuse and/or dehydration of the muscle. A couple minutes' of kneeling would never be the primary cause.

mossflyer

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: HeberFan on October 15, 2018, 02:14:35 pm
So now you see my point. Neither side is 100% right.

No, Mossflyer and myself are in agreeance and 100% correct. Whether you kneel or not is not an issue worth complaining over. It has zero effect on the game.

$aintMaximu$

The tradition of taking a knee is expression of sportsmanship and respect.  It is everybody on the field expressing solidarity with the injured player or players.  One of the key values of sports activities is the development and enhancement of character, honor and fair play.  So long as 'taking a knee' is meant sincerely it is a wonderful example respect. Players should be encouraged, but not required. Some teams don't allow their players to take a knee as a policy.  When players don't take a knee you typically see the mob of fans and parents getting angry on both sides of the field.  I think you use your best judgement but if you ever have a chance to show good character in your actions, do it...

HeberFan

Quote from: mossflyer on October 15, 2018, 02:21:28 pm
Not my point...but ok.

When someone is laying on the ground, kneeling is appropriate. But it's mostly about having respect for the other team.  It's not required to show respect.

HeberFan

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 15, 2018, 02:23:10 pm
No, Mossflyer and myself are in agreeance and 100% correct. Whether you kneel or not is not an issue worth complaining over. It has zero effect on the game.

"Zero effect" is certainly not true. What is someone cramps by kneeling? What is that offended team gets mad and crushes the other team on the next play? Everything has an effect on the game.

SUGARTOWN

I'll argue that a team that is taking cheap shots and getting personal foul after personal foul called on them (Riverview) doesn't deserve respect.

Just my opinion.

HeberFan

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on October 15, 2018, 02:23:16 pm
The tradition of taking a knee is expression of sportsmanship and respect.  It is everybody on the field expressing solidarity with the injured player or players.  One of the key values of sports activities is the development and enhancement of character, honor and fair play.  So long as 'taking a knee' is meant sincerely it is a wonderful example respect. Players should be encouraged, but not required. Some teams don't allow their players to take a knee as a policy.  When players don't take a knee you typically see the mob of fans and parents getting angry on both sides of the field.  I think you use your best judgement but if you ever have a chance to show good character in your actions, do it...

Good post.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: HeberFan on October 15, 2018, 02:24:41 pm
"Zero effect" is certainly not true. What is someone cramps by kneeling? What is that offended team gets mad and crushes the other team on the next play? Everything has an effect on the game.

If it takes something like that to get you fired up then maybe football is not the sport for you.

HeberFan

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 15, 2018, 02:25:24 pm
I'll argue that a team that is taking cheap shots and getting personal foul after personal foul called on them (Riverview) doesn't deserve respect.

Just my opinion.

Respect is about he who pays it, not he who receives it.

mossflyer

Then why would opposing fans be upset when the other team doesn't kneel? 

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: HeberFan on October 15, 2018, 02:26:48 pm
Respect is about he who pays it, not he who receives it.

You have to earn respect.

mossflyer

Saintmax...I agree with most of your post. What I don't necessarily agree with is respect being expected or demanded to be shown in one way. When expectations of respect is not met is when people get offended. I can show just as much respect standing as I can kneeling. It just may not be as 'outward' so that people wanting or needing the respect may be able to see it.

mossflyer

Only thing I disagree with you Sugar...I prefer to respect until I've been given a reason to do otherwise.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: mossflyer on October 15, 2018, 02:37:42 pm
Only thing I disagree with you Sugar...I prefer to respect until I've been given a reason to do otherwise.

I was mainly referring to last Friday, respect was definitely not earned in that game.

HeberFan

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 15, 2018, 02:31:20 pm
You have to earn respect.

I see respect from a Christian perspective..... not about being earned.

HeberFan

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 15, 2018, 02:40:09 pm
I was mainly referring to last Friday, respect was definitely not earned in that game.

Be glad we're not all judged on our worst day.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: HeberFan on October 15, 2018, 02:45:34 pm

I see respect from a Christian perspective.....

What does this even mean?

Lacerta agilis

I wish a rule would be imposed if a play must stop for an injured player, that player is disqualified until a change of possession. That would give an incentive to get off the field for minor injuries and cramps. It might also curtail the "fake" injuries being used as a supplemental timeout.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: HeberFan on October 15, 2018, 01:51:11 pm
Taking a knee shows respect, like, placing a hand over the heart shows respect for the flag. That's just my opinion. You are free to have your own, Colin.
Wow, you are kinda who I thought you were. What time is the rally?

HeberFan

Quote from: Oldman on October 15, 2018, 03:49:59 pm
Wow, you are kinda who I thought you were. What time is the rally?

Rally is canceled due to rain... although the hoods help against that. Figured you could suss out the sarcasm in the previous comment.

cuckoobird

HeberFan

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 15, 2018, 04:18:05 pm
Do you as a fan take a knee?

I do not, but, love the question.  How much are fans a part of the game?  Not as much as they believe, would be my guess.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

To kneel or not to kneel is the question...
It doesn't bother me if teams kneel or don't. Injuries happen to be a part of the game. Coaches and players have jobs to do. Injuries don't change that perspective of the game. A simple sprained ankle doesn't warrant a kneel down from the opposing team. I'm not a big fan of kneeling, to me that saying you accept you're less than the person you're to. Too proud and too vain to admit someone is better than me. I think clapping and cheering for an injured player as they are taken off the field or court is better than taking a knee. Truly hurt players are looking around to see if everyone around is kneeling but they usually respond to the noise of the crowd.

LakeRat

It's a reflection of good character and human compassion... all qualities to be taught and encouraged for both students and the adults who may need a reminder. Something we can never have too much of these days...

OrangeCrush.

This may be the most pointless thread I've ever seen.

footballclaim

Unless it's serious then there is no point. There is a need for sportsmanship of course, but at some point it just becomes ridiculous. This is a hardcore sport and human passion only goes so far on the field. Also, it might be different if the player is on your own team in that case do your thing but if it's another teams player then there is no reason to baby them.

cuckoobird

If you don't kneel "show respect in your opinion " then why should you expect the opposing team to? It's ludicrous to take a knee every time some kid flops but totally understandable if the injury is indeed serious where the ambulance is involved

sevenof400

FWIW: This is another of those threads / subjects that crops up on a very regular basis.  Every situation is unique.

As a referee, I do not want players taking knees during an injury situation - I want those players out of the way so medical personnel can attend to the injured player plus I want the teams separated so no trash talk can occur which might spark a senseless incident.  Get to / or in front of your bench, get instructions form your coach, rehydrate and give the medical staff room to work. 

cuckoobird

Trojanbird

Quote from: HeberFan on October 15, 2018, 02:45:34 pm

I see respect from a Christian perspective..... not about being earned.
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 15, 2018, 02:50:25 pm
What does this even mean?
Heberfan, some know nothing about Christianity!

HeberFan

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 15, 2018, 07:18:20 pm
FWIW: This is another of those threads / subjects that crops up on a very regular basis.  Every situation is unique.

As a referee, I do not want players taking knees during an injury situation - I want those players out of the way so medical personnel can attend to the injured player plus I want the teams separated so no trash talk can occur which might spark a senseless incident.  Get to / or in front of your bench, get instructions form your coach, rehydrate and give the medical staff room to work.

As a referee, maybe you just want to get home earlier?  :o)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas