• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time between downs/ready for play

Started by 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT, September 01, 2018, 12:38:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

I know this is going to vary by crew, but is there a general guideline on official's tempo between downs, spotting the ball and starting new 25 second clock? And yes I know some of that is dictated by the teams and how much "up tempo" they are.  Thoughts?

football_referee

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

Is that your personal preference or is that a standard each crew tries to stay within?

football_referee

12-15 is the Standard that both the NFHS and NCAA strives for. I know that Supervisors  look for that pace and it be done from play one to the last play of the game.
it is a good pace
I know some Crews are faster then the 12 sec and some are slower then 15.
I know if I am off on my times that is does not feel right to me, and my crew members are constantly talking to me reminding me about my pace but that is a sign of a great crew is communication during games

BryanM67

Part of making the 12-15 second benchmark (or even better than 12 seconds), is simply a bit of hustle coupled with some good mechanics.  We like to use the BJ to relay the ball back to the U.  Looks good if you can minimize the delay, but stay in control.

Adjudicator

Look for us to have a 40-sec play clock next year!! It failed by one vote this spring at the NF rules committee meeting.

High Voltage

Quote from: Adjudicator on September 09, 2018, 07:22:19 pm
Look for us to have a 40-sec play clock next year!! It failed by one vote this spring at the NF rules committee meeting.
Why?

arreferee

Quote from: High Voltage on September 13, 2018, 10:30:52 am
Why?

It cuts out any inconsistency (or perception of inconsistency) by the referee in signaling the ready for play.  If, like in NCAA, the 40 second clock starts when the previous play is over, there won't be a question as to consistency throughout the game. 

Plus, it is taught to keep the same pace throughout the game.  When the referee is consistently starting the 25 second clock 14 seconds after the ready for play, it causes problems when the runner is down with 10 seconds on the running clock.  If we keep the same pace, the team won't be able to snap the ball again.  But, with the 40 second clock, the ball is ready for play as soon as the umpire puts it on the ground and gets out of the way.  The 40 second clock will allow for teams to run more of a hurry up offense and force the defense to keep the same personnel on the field. 

football_referee

I have mixed feelings on the 40 second clock while it will add consistency to the high school games which I like
now since in High School you are suppose to use the ball that you start the down with that rule will have to be changed to allow for ball changes and it will require the ball persons to may more attention and it probably require to put ball person on opponents side line as well to keep up with ball changes  (sad part of that is I have seen and officiated games where teams only have 2 football to use during the whole game)

High Voltage

Quote from: arreferee on September 13, 2018, 03:24:50 pm
It cuts out any inconsistency (or perception of inconsistency) by the referee in signaling the ready for play.  If, like in NCAA, the 40 second clock starts when the previous play is over, there won't be a question as to consistency throughout the game. 

Plus, it is taught to keep the same pace throughout the game.  When the referee is consistently starting the 25 second clock 14 seconds after the ready for play, it causes problems when the runner is down with 10 seconds on the running clock.  If we keep the same pace, the team won't be able to snap the ball again.  But, with the 40 second clock, the ball is ready for play as soon as the umpire puts it on the ground and gets out of the way.  The 40 second clock will allow for teams to run more of a hurry up offense and force the defense to keep the same personnel on the field. 
Good explanation, thank you. I agree now totally. Go to the 40 second clock.

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

Quote from: arreferee on September 13, 2018, 03:24:50 pm

Exactly why I asked this question to begin with.  First game at Eldorado against Camden Fairview the time between end of play and RFP was probably pushing 20 seconds. No hustle by referee (he couldn't) nor any hustle by others (they couldn't either).  But they were consistent and called a good game. Had good mechanics covering the play, just no hustle to get ball set.  Next week against Cabot, different crew and they were right on the 12-15 seconds.  You could tell it messed with Eldorado's QB because we got 2 delay of game penalties in first half plus had to burn a T/O early.  Would be nice to have a controlled consistency.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas