• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pulaski Academy vs Bryant Scrimmage

Started by Eastbay501, August 16, 2018, 09:10:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Eastbay501

Heard Bryant beat PA tonight 59-28.. any comments on this one? Is it the end of PA's domination in Arkansas or what happened??? Also, how did Hefley and Bratcher look?

AirWarren

PA Dad

Bryant won the varsity part of the scrimmage 31-21.

PA is always small but this year they are really small.  140 lb linebacker.  165 lb defensive lineman.

PA did not look like PA tonight.  Seven turnovers in three quarters.  Tons of missed assignments.  No precision.  Three wide open receivers thrown uncatchable passes.

Bratcher has a decent arm.  He will be good.  But he was off tonight.

I seriously doubt that PA can win it all again this year.  But I'm not completely counting them out.  If they can correct the mistakes and find the precision PA typically has they have an outside chance.

Hefley looked good at times but the PA defense sacked him several times and hurried him several more.  Bryant is big and fast.  No. 35 is a hoss.  They will compete in 7A.

PA Bruin Fan

Hats off to Bryant, their starters solidly beat PA starters.  Very poor effort by PA tonight.  Hopefully that can/will be fixed. 

Yellowcake

We have work to do. It's up to the kids.
Bryant has some size and speed. I expect them to be in the thick of it at the end. Hats of for to them.

Yellowcake

Heffley played the first half. Not as crisp as I thought he might be, but he will be fine. He's a good qb.
They played a sophomore the second half. Number 12. He is a very fine qb and played extremely well.

Pantherdaddy

STBruin

couple thoughts on the scrimmage...

With Varsity in the game...31-21,Bryant...not concerned with what the JV kids did. 

PA--6 turnovers in the first half, wont win very many games with that many turnovers in the first half.

WRs - they have to do a better job getting more WRs involved in the game. Its easy to cover a TE even if he is the #1 TE in the nation, when you dont have to worry about the other WRs. JD White has got to get more targets or it will be a long year.

OL- losing 3 or your 5 starters showed. Too much pressure on the QB.

QB- thought he did a good job of avoiding pressure and making plays with his feet, but he has got to limit forcing the ball into bad situations.

Defense- Looked good with the exception of 2 long TD runs right up the gut!!!! Again...when you lose your entire LB corp to graduation, there is a learning curve.

Bryant---when you get 6 turnovers in the first half and are only up by 14, offense has got to put the ball in the endzone.

Offense- run game looked strong, but need to develop a more threatening passing game. With the size advantage Bryant had, don't know why they didn't pound the running game more in some of the mid yard situations. Bryant needs WRs to step up and be a force, or again being 1 dimensional will not win you a ring. Agree with Yellowcake, Hefley didn't look as crisp as I thought he should have either, but it was against PA, so I think its more of a mental thing.

Defense- got pressure on the QB and seemed to figure out some things early, but again, with 6 turnovers in the first half, they helped their offense considerably.

While I understand that PA has handed it to Bryant the last couple years, you have to act like you have been there before. Dancing or flexing after a sack or tackle, does not win you football games, and in the season will get you a 15 yard penalty.

OVERALL

PA has got to figure some things out quickly, you go to Harber next week to kick the season off. In my opinion, which doesnt matter one bit, PA does not win the 5A central this year, and could have 2 or 3 losses in conference. Think this is an off year for PA and I think they make the playoffs but from what I saw last night, dont make it far.

Bryant is a talented team with the potential to make it to WM, but again, playing a down, undersized PA and having 6 turnovers in the first half, but only being up 14 is not going to work in the 7A. Lots of talk with it being a Central Arkansas 7A state title game in WM, and with what I saw last night, dont believe that will happen.

good thing is...this is just a scrimmage, BUT the season starts a week from today!

PA Dad

Quote from: STBruin on August 17, 2018, 09:20:52 am
couple thoughts on the scrimmage...

With Varsity in the game...31-21,Bryant...not concerned with what the JV kids did. 

PA--6 turnovers in the first half, wont win very many games with that many turnovers in the first half.

WRs - they have to do a better job getting more WRs involved in the game. Its easy to cover a TE even if he is the #1 TE in the nation, when you dont have to worry about the other WRs. JD White has got to get more targets or it will be a long year.

OL- losing 3 or your 5 starters showed. Too much pressure on the QB.

QB- thought he did a good job of avoiding pressure and making plays with his feet, but he has got to limit forcing the ball into bad situations.

Defense- Looked good with the exception of 2 long TD runs right up the gut!!!! Again...when you lose your entire LB corp to graduation, there is a learning curve.

Bryant---when you get 6 turnovers in the first half and are only up by 14, offense has got to put the ball in the endzone.

Offense- run game looked strong, but need to develop a more threatening passing game. With the size advantage Bryant had, don't know why they didn't pound the running game more in some of the mid yard situations. Bryant needs WRs to step up and be a force, or again being 1 dimensional will not win you a ring. Agree with Yellowcake, Hefley didn't look as crisp as I thought he should have either, but it was against PA, so I think its more of a mental thing.

Defense- got pressure on the QB and seemed to figure out some things early, but again, with 6 turnovers in the first half, they helped their offense considerably.

While I understand that PA has handed it to Bryant the last couple years, you have to act like you have been there before. Dancing or flexing after a sack or tackle, does not win you football games, and in the season will get you a 15 yard penalty.

OVERALL

PA has got to figure some things out quickly, you go to Harber next week to kick the season off. In my opinion, which doesnt matter one bit, PA does not win the 5A central this year, and could have 2 or 3 losses in conference. Think this is an off year for PA and I think they make the playoffs but from what I saw last night, dont make it far.

Bryant is a talented team with the potential to make it to WM, but again, playing a down, undersized PA and having 6 turnovers in the first half, but only being up 14 is not going to work in the 7A. Lots of talk with it being a Central Arkansas 7A state title game in WM, and with what I saw last night, dont believe that will happen.

good thing is...this is just a scrimmage, BUT the season starts a week from today!

This is a very good analysis.

I was much more impressed with PA's defense than the offense.  The defense is very undersized but aggressive.  They swarmed to the ball and played aggressive coverage.  The two long runs up the middle were missed assignments and that will be corrected.

I agree that the offense has to be more than Hud Henry.  He is a great player but other receivers have to show up.

I don't think PA will have much of a running game this year.

I think PA might make the semis this year,  I'll be surprised if they do better, but Kelley has surprised me many times.

I think 5A is wide open this year.

JessieP

I didn't see the scrimmage but the notes from the PA posters seem very objective. They are usually pretty honest with their opinions. If what they said is true than we have a wide open 5A. I don't see anyone head and shoulders above the rest. The heartbreaking injury to Grisswell leaves us with 5 or 6 teams capable of winning it all. I still say that PA has as good a shot as anyone but they are back in the pack. Should be an exciting year. Who will peak in October? Who can avoid injuries? and most importantly, who are the unknown players who will rise up and become stars?

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: PA Dad on August 17, 2018, 08:14:37 pm
This is a very good analysis.

I was much more impressed with PA's defense than the offense.  The defense is very undersized but aggressive.  They swarmed to the ball and played aggressive coverage.  The two long runs up the middle were missed assignments and that will be corrected.

I agree that the offense has to be more than Hud Henry.  He is a great player but other receivers have to show up.

I don't think PA will have much of a running game this year.

I think PA might make the semis this year,  I'll be surprised if they do better, but Kelley has surprised me many times.

I think 5A is wide open this year.
i'm not counting PA out yet

PA Dad

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on August 17, 2018, 08:57:43 pm
i'm not counting PA out yet

I'm not either.  But they have to improve a lot to be in the hunt.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas