• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Waldron Head Football Coach/AD Job Vacancy

Started by Col. Nathan R. Jessup, May 01, 2018, 05:25:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PrivateLesson

The Junior High HC is also Waldron Boys Track Coach, I believe.     

PrivateLesson

7th grade went undefeated last year and the JR High team had a winning record.

HSFBF

May 08, 2018, 12:51:11 pm #52 Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:33:15 pm by HSFBF
Well, congrats on your new coach who was an assistant at Paris a couple of years ago. His record this year was 1-9 at Dierks from what I hear. Maybe he will work out. Oh well, this year will tell. Congrats on your search committee's in depth search. Guess they wanted a person who had a history at Waldron who wants to stay forever..  :-\

PrivateLesson

Quote from: HSFBF on May 08, 2018, 12:51:11 pm
Well, congrats on your new coach who was an assistant at Paris a couple of years ago. His record this year was 1-9 at Dierks from what I hear. Maybe he will work out. Hear he has a relative who is a Principal at Waldron and who is close to the Superintendent.  Oh well, this year will tell. Congrats on your search committee's in depth search. Guess they wanted a person who had a history at Waldron who wants to stay forever..  :-\

They already filled the position???    Say What?

Gray lizard

From my experience most positions are already filled prior to being listed. They just run the listing cause they have to.

gameoflife

So you are saying they hired coach Bates?

BlueBass

I really hope you are kidding. That would tell a lot about the administration and board if they didn't even conduct interviews.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Gray lizard on May 08, 2018, 01:25:09 pm
From my experience most positions are already filled prior to being listed. They just run the listing cause they have to.
Yeah....By law they have to run it.  Bull formality that wastes other applicants time, in some cases.  IMO. 

BlueBass

May 08, 2018, 04:06:13 pm #58 Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:16:59 pm by BlueBass
So kids getting a former assistant at Paris and 1 year Head coach with 1-9 record at a small school? Lol

Eagle boss

Especially when they had one coach apply who was very interested and has 199 Wins and an Undefeated State Championship under his belt. 

doggieskoot2

And if so, then Waldron wins 3 games next year.  Wow!!

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Eagle boss on May 09, 2018, 07:49:14 am
Especially when they had one coach apply who was very interested and has 199 Wins and an Undefeated State Championship under his belt.
Do tell...

Kraig Crist

Bayou Bully

Quote from: Kraig Crist on May 09, 2018, 09:08:56 am
Doug Scheel to Waldron!

Think Doug has a resume that's quite a bit more impressive than that

ColdBeercat79

Quote from: Gray lizard on May 08, 2018, 01:25:09 pm

Seems like what has gone on here. They probably had more interest in the job than they've had in a very long time and chose this.

Couple ok sr High seasons after 40+ losing streak
7-3 Jr high
9-0 7th
Playoffs first time in forever
Nice facility with good looking turf

Land on a 1-9 guy with 1 year HC experience and shut down interview process after 3-4 interviews

BlueBass

If you really want to build a program you do your research and pick best quality guy and fit for the area. Administration just told us how much they value our team. Lot of hard work on kids to make a buddy hire.

PrivateLesson

PrivateLesson

Where's Hoghead with his smokes and drinks!? LOL!

gameoflife

So is this hire confirmed?  And is the tie to Waldron confirmed?

PrivateLesson

May 09, 2018, 08:45:19 pm #69 Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 10:23:30 pm by PrivateLesson

Quote from: gameoflife on May 09, 2018, 08:38:48 pm
So is this hire confirmed? 

All indications I'm hearing point towards, yes.   

Apparently, Coach Bates coached some years back under Coach Klatt in Waldron.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: ColdBeercat79 on May 09, 2018, 06:23:09 pm
Seems like what has gone on here. They probably had more interest in the job than they've had in a very long time and chose this.

Couple ok sr High seasons after 40+ losing streak
7-3 Jr high
9-0 7th
Playoffs first time in forever
Nice facility with good looking turf

Land on a 1-9 guy with 1 year HC experience and shut down interview process after 3-4 interviews

Is this fact or speculation? 

Any idea who the other candidates were that interviewed for the Waldron job?

BlueBass

May 10, 2018, 08:41:43 am #71 Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 08:47:11 am by BlueBass
I'm not sure who they interviewed, but I know of 3 guys who applied who are far more qualified then their current selection. Seems like we got so much going in the right direction, and the administration just wants to throw a wrench in it.

ColdBeercat79

Quote from: PrivateLesson on May 09, 2018, 09:24:50 pm
Is this fact or speculation? 

Any idea who the other candidates were that interviewed for the Waldron job?

Fact.

doggieskoot2

This hiring practice sounds like a great way for a first year Superintendent to be a ONE year Superintendent.

BlueBass

May 10, 2018, 09:56:56 am #74 Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:02:12 am by BlueBass
I understand, that your not going to get a super star coach in Waldron most likely. My kids are still a few years away from high school ball, but if this is a taste of what is to come may be a good time to look at other schools for them. I've been excited over the last few years about the gains being made, and all these kids who put in so much work are just getting slapped in the face. I wouldn't be against a younger coach, but atleast one with a small amount of descent credentials. The coach they are bringing in may be a great guy, but I want to know the school did their job in finding the best candidate.  Has school board already voted?

Eagle boss

The coach who had 199 wins  and an undefeated state championship and numerous deep post season runs in the playoffs was considered one of the best coaches in Kansas. His forte was  rebuilding programs from not being very good to being state ranked powers. Had done that at four different schools. He really wanted this job  because he loved the area and would have put him closer  to his kids and grandkids and he said he would have been willing to stay there for eight or nine years to build them  into a contender.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Eagle boss on May 10, 2018, 02:48:44 pm
The coach who had 199 wins  and an undefeated state championship and numerous deep post season runs in the playoffs was considered one of the best coaches in Kansas. His forte was  rebuilding programs from not being very good to being state ranked powers. Had done that at four different schools. He really wanted this job  because he loved the area and would have put him closer  to his kids and grandkids and he said he would have been willing to stay there for eight or nine years to build them  into a contender.

Oh wow.   

PrivateLesson

May 10, 2018, 04:26:18 pm #77 Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:37:13 pm by PrivateLesson
Someone made mention in passing conversation that Coach May's son Brock had shown interest since he is already on the Coaching Staff in Waldron....but I don't know all the specifics.  Just conversation. 

I do know some have expressed how pleased they are with Brock and what a great motivator he is for the kids in Waldron.    I think that last year might have been his first year to coach but not certain on that. 

Was the Chambers guy hired for a position at Waldron or no?   

PrivateLesson

Good Luck To Coach Bates and the Bulldogs!   

Redlinebacker32

Coach B May's first year was 2016 @privatelesson.

RZback

Quote from: Eagle boss on May 10, 2018, 02:48:44 pm

And those coaches always keep their word. 

BlueBass

I would rather have a great coach for a couple of years, than a less than mediocre coach come in, and run the program into the ground for 10. Good coaches leave a lot of times, and that is just the nature of the sport. Our school wants to win, and taking a chance with a great coach who may only a few years is ok as long as they leave the program in a better spot than when they arrived.

Redlinebacker32

I know nothing is official yet, but we need to give the new coach a chance. If you're a supporter of Waldron athletics, I think it would be best to get behind the coach and support him. He will have enough pressure just starting in June and getting to know all of the players, let alone installing any new schemes he may bring in. The community doesn't need to add any more pressure, but welcome him and help however we can.

ColdBeercat79

From watching Waldron for years (and sometimes feeling sorry for them even) :) ;) And having friends and a little family there, it's been nice to see them become more competitive

The frustration from what I'm hearing is that they didn't pursue every avenue they could to make sure they're doing right by the kids

BlueBass

Redline I understand what your saying not the coaches fault he is just taking a job, but allowing employees paid with our tax dollars not do the right thing is an issue, and if no one checks them it is doing nothing but hurting the kids. Your basically saying let them do whatever they want, and just be ok with it. I can understand arguing between a few qualified candidates on here. But there is no leg to stand on here, and hopefully the board does their job, and ask questions like:

- Who else was interviewed?
- What made you feel he was the best fit?
- beside a 1-9 season what else has he done to be considered for a head coaching position here?

HSFBF

May 11, 2018, 12:47:35 pm #85 Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:39:43 pm by HSFBF
Quote from: BlueBass on May 11, 2018, 12:06:07 pm
I can understand arguing between a few qualified candidates on here. But there is no leg to stand on here, and hopefully the board does their job, and ask questions like:

- Who else was interviewed?
- What made you feel he was the best fit?
- beside a 1-9 season what else has he done to be considered for a head coaching position here?
It would take a few people like you to contact the Board about this issue. Perhaps they know already?    The Board is the key here or maybe nothing they can do...

Redlinebacker32

@bluebass I agree completely and I'm not for how this was conducted. The hire should always be about who can bring the most success to the kids and the program. If this decision was made because of anything else, that's a shame.

beach bum

We are talking about Scott County, Arkansas right?? What else would you expect besides the good ole boy system from there.....

Redlinebacker32

Please explain how y'all do it up in Pea Ride, beach bum?

BlueBass

Wonder if the new coach has already resigned from his current school?

thirdand1

Yes. I will tell you that his playbook doesn't change to fit talent. And he will run the same play over and over. Doesn't take long to figure out the offense. Sorry, hope it works out for you all. But there are no hurt feelings at his previous school.

Sigmund Sauer

I've been following this post for several days. It seems to only get worse for Waldron regarding this hire. The Waldron folk are not excited that he will be taking the reigns and the previous team just seems happy that he's gone. Remember, a new hire involves a lot of people. The AD, Principal, Superintendent, and often other faculty will all decide on a candidate to ask the board to approve. The board has the final say. Consider who you voted for and contact those board members if you're concerned. The Waldron kids deserve a fair shake and maybe Bates was the best choice, maybe not. Often times board members are "yes, men/women," IE they simply say yes to whatever the superintendent wants, this may be the case over in Scott County. I hope the best for the program, it certainly has been moving in a positive direction recently.

Trojanbird

As long as he beats Subiaco every year he will keep his job!

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: Trojanbird on May 11, 2018, 10:50:42 pm
As long as he beats Subiaco every year he will keep his job!

+1

There's your 1-9 season. Consistency?

gameoflife

Politics plays a part in almost every hire, maybe every hire. 

Truthfully

Quote from: gameoflife on May 12, 2018, 08:43:38 am
Politics plays a part in almost every hire, maybe every hire.
But it shouldn't ... especially if a coach is unproven as a HC. Better to promote from within I guess, that way the fans and Board, etc will know something about the coach's abilities. Some assistants never want to be a HC due to all the added responsibilities and pressure. Some never have the mindset of being a HC, etc.... Each town has its own way of doing things on hiring but there needs to be more consistency for sure.

beach bum

Quote from: Redlinebacker32 on May 11, 2018, 02:54:20 pm
Please explain how y'all do it up in Pea Ridge, beach bum?

Never heard of them....

coachsearch

HSFBF

Quote from: coachsearch on May 12, 2018, 11:56:16 am
Is it official yet?
Most indications are "yes", a Superintendent's decision has been made. Maybe this situation will close 'for sure' by Monday, as it would be nice for the HC to meet the players and orchestrate a practice session or two before school is out for the summer.  ???

BlueBass

Monday at 6:30 is board meeting if anyone would like to see if the board has our kids best interest in mind. I'm trying to get contact info on board, but can't find E-mail or phone numbers for them. Making them aware of situation would be great then they can not say they didn't really know.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas