• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alabama's Version of Balancing Private/Public Schools

Started by blueandwhite, November 30, 2017, 01:22:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite

http://www.ahsaa.com/Portals/0/PDF's/AHSAA/AHSAA/Re-Classification/2018-20/Competitive%20Balance%20for%20website.pdf?ver=2017-11-30-115028-767

But it looks like it is just for private schools.

STBruin

JacketFan

Whoever drew that up actually had some sense, I believe something like this could actually work, and would definitely level the playing field a good bit.  Just my opinion, so try not to slam my head in door too hard, lol.

PA Bruin Fan

The basic concept makes a ton of sense.  I'd like to see several past seasons run through this program to see what it does to private schools across the state.

beach bum

And PA would still destroy all the crybaby posters' teams.... Let's just beat the dead horse topic some more.

Go Postal

Is it true that Arkansas was trying get a coach from a private school but the coaches didn't want to take a step down in pay grade. ;)

Kazimierz

Maybe all schools should do this....

If you're good, you progressively play better teams. As you trend down, you drop in classification until you meet your peers.

MDXPHD

Quote from: beach bum on November 30, 2017, 05:53:46 pm
And PA would still destroy all the crybaby posters' teams.... Let's just beat the dead horse topic some more.

Because I'm too lazy to go through all of your posts to figure out which team you support, would you care to enlighten me and also give me an explanation as to why you think the private vs public debate shouldn't exist? It's been going on for decades regarding all sports in all states, so there is obviously something to it.

Old Scrapper

And here it is! This topic is like an ex wife showing up to get more $$ every year after you get a cost of living raise. It never ends.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Old Scrapper on November 30, 2017, 08:36:30 pm
And here it is! This topic is like an ex wife showing up to get more $$ every year after you get a cost of living raise. It never ends.
+1

MDXPHD

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 30, 2017, 08:59:16 pm
+1

It should end. It's ridiculous that people even discuss something like this! I mean, we all know it's even across the board but some just outwork others and have better coaches. The system is obviously working in Arkansas, so no need to change it. Just like the healtchare system is working.

Yellowcake

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 30, 2017, 09:17:49 pm
It should end. It's ridiculous that people even discuss something like this! I mean, we all know it's even across the board but some just outwork others and have better coaches. The system is obviously working in Arkansas, so no need to change it. Just like the healtchare system is working.

Yawn......
Groundhog Day......
Dead horse......
Deja vu all over again.....
Been there, done that.....
Please, not again....
Repeat......

MDXPHD

Quote from: Yellowcake on November 30, 2017, 09:56:43 pm
Yawn......
Groundhog Day......
Dead horse......
Deja vu all over again.....
Been there, done that.....
Please, not again....
Repeat......

Can't tell if you're talking about this discussion or PA in the playoffs.

PA Dad

It is a worthy topic.  And, as I've said before, the thread you started two years ago is the best discussion we've had on this board about public vs private.

But, haven't we exhausted the topic?  Absent some new revelation, aren't we just repeating the same old discussion?

I know we always have new posters.  To those who are interested in the topic, go back and read "public vs private" started by MDX in December, 2015.  That thread has an exhaustive discussion of the subject.

South 45

I'll do just that. Shiuld make for an interesting read. I am new here and still trying to familiarise myself with the various people and personalities but this topic should not go away until something is done about it.

PA Dad

Quote from: South 45 on November 30, 2017, 11:46:26 pm
I'll do just that. Shiuld make for an interesting read. I am new here and still trying to familiarise myself with the various people and personalities but this topic should not go away until something is done about it.

There has been a lot of discussion on that subject.  My preference is success advancement.  But, that discussion is in the thread.

Youngsta71701

Put Pulaski Academy in the 7A and let's just be done with it...

PA Bruin Fan

Agreed

JessieP

My thoughts on this subject are simple, why doesn't PA want/demand to move up? Does Saban set his sights on winning the SEC West? SEC Championship? No, he wants to be the best of the best. If Kelly has such confidence in his system and his teams superior work ethic why wouldn't he want to test it against the best in Arkansas? If PA went to the AAA and ask to be moved up they would hear "yes" before they uttered the last syllable. Rather then us debate why or why not should they be moved up the real question is why do they not want to be? How do I know they haven't? Because we all know if they wanted it, it would have happened.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: JessieP on December 01, 2017, 08:31:52 am
My thoughts on this subject are simple, why doesn't PA want/demand to move up? Does Saban set his sights on winning the SEC West? SEC Championship? No, he wants to be the best of the best. If Kelly has such confidence in his system and his teams superior work ethic why wouldn't he want to test it against the best in Arkansas? If PA went to the AAA and ask to be moved up they would hear "yes" before they uttered the last syllable. Rather then us debate why or why not should they be moved up the real question is why do they not want to be? How do I know they haven't? Because we all know if they wanted it, it would have happened.
Under your analogy, shouldn't Saban demand to play in the NFL?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 01, 2017, 10:11:53 am

Shouldn't P.A want to play D2 Football?

OB11

So if I'm reading this correctly, a team could never win a state title and still be moved up based on the points system?

JessieP

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 01, 2017, 10:11:53 am

Ummm....NO! He coaches a COLLEGE football team. He wants to be the best COLLEGE football team. I need to clarify, I guess my analogy was missing points. The Saban I was referring to is Nick Saban. Nick Saban is the head football coach at the University of Alabama, Alabama competes in the Southeastern Conference of the NCAA Division 1 football. The Southeastern Conference is broken down into 2 divisions, the East and the West. Alabama is in the West. So there would be one plateau of winning the West Division. The winner of the West plays the winner of the East for the SEC Championship. The winner of that game gets to play for a chance to become the National Champion. That is the highest level a college football team can achieve, the best of the best.

On the high school level the highest level any team can achieve would be State Champion, there are 50 of them. In high school there is no State vs. State playoff system. There are opinion based rankings but no real National Champion, in high school. Now most States have varying classifications. At the end of the year the football team that wins the State Championship in the highest classification is usually considered the de facto "best of the best".

Saban would not aspire to have Alabama move up to the NFL, there would be no point. As a college football coach National Champion is as high as you go. I apologize for the confusion.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: JessieP on December 01, 2017, 02:32:07 pm
Ummm....NO! He coaches a COLLEGE football team. He wants to be the best COLLEGE football team. I need to clarify, I guess my analogy was missing points. The Saban I was referring to is Nick Saban. Nick Saban is the head football coach at the University of Alabama, Alabama competes in the Southeastern Conference of the NCAA Division 1 football. The Southeastern Conference is broken down into 2 divisions, the East and the West. Alabama is in the West. So there would be one plateau of winning the West Division. The winner of the West plays the winner of the East for the SEC Championship. The winner of that game gets to play for a chance to become the National Champion. That is the highest level a college football team can achieve, the best of the best.

On the high school level the highest level any team can achieve would be State Champion, there are 50 of them. In high school there is no State vs. State playoff system. There are opinion based rankings but no real National Champion, in high school. Now most States have varying classifications. At the end of the year the football team that wins the State Championship in the highest classification is usually considered the de facto "best of the best".

Saban would not aspire to have Alabama move up to the NFL, there would be no point. As a college football coach National Champion is as high as you go. I apologize for the confusion.
You said Saban wants to be "the best of the best." I assigned the meaning to the words that you used, not what you intended in your head. So you are saying there are different levels of football, and Saban wants to be the best at his assigned level - which is FBS. I get that. I guess Kelley wants to be the best at the level he is assigned, which is 5A.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 01, 2017, 04:30:56 pm
You said Saban wants to be "the best of the best." I assigned the meaning to the words that you used, not what you intended in your head. So you are saying there are different levels of football, and Saban wants to be the best at his assigned level - which is FBS. I get that. I guess Kelley wants to be the best at the level he is assigned, which is 5A.

No. The correct analogy from your college example would be high schools highest level in Arkansas.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 01, 2017, 04:41:22 pm
No. The correct analogy from your college example would be high schools highest level in Arkansas.
Y'all are right. I've been stressed. My team is playing for a 4th straight championship and it's a lot to think about. Y'all have the advantage of already having had a few weeks to decompress after your season ended. i'll do better.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 01, 2017, 04:44:12 pm
Y'all are right. I've been stressed. My team is playing for a 4th straight championship and it's a lot to think about. Y'all have the advantage of already having had a few weeks to decompress after your season ended. i'll do better.

I wonder if there is more to life than high school football for some.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 01, 2017, 04:59:06 pm

Go read the Earle threads on 2a....I figure many are completely lost while football season is hibernating...

MDXPHD

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 01, 2017, 05:02:37 pm
Go read the Earle threads on 2a....I figure many are completely lost while football season is hibernating...

Lol I've seen some and I agree with your assessment

JessieP

For some the answer is a emphatic NO. It's pretty obvious that some people's sun rises and sets on a certain high school football team. I, by virtue of living here, am a Pioneer fan. I have never been nervous, stressed or worried, for one nano second, over the outcome of their games.

Red Devil Alum

You have 2973 posts. I have less than 600.

HorseFeathers

PA Bruin Fan

MDXPHD

fnu lnu

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 01, 2017, 11:09:46 pm
So...I found out about the internet before you?

Within the context of this conversation, the best post in my opinion that I have ever read.

AirWarren

Quote from: Old Scrapper on November 30, 2017, 08:36:30 pm

Exactly!!!!

They don't go away.

JacketFan

Most topics that wholeheartedly need to be addressed do not ever go away, so until something is done, the topic will always be discussed.  It is a forum for opinions, good or bad, still have to read them.

Kazimierz

I don't think there is any harm in rehashing these issues over and over again. Most people will remain in the same camp that they started in... but it doesn't do any harm.

I see it going a couple of ways:

1. Staying the same... Multiplier only.

2. Complete schism. Private school league is formed under their own governing body... recruiting is now formally allowed without restriction. I personally don't think private schools recruit any more than the big public schools. But, I understand all people don't share my opinion. Let's just agree that if it happens now... it will really happen under this scenario.

3. Partial schism. Private schools are segregated by the AAA. They do not compete for championships with public schools. I don't see why private schools would agree to this. This seems unlikely.

4. Alabama system for all schools. Schools are awarded points based on their performance (in addition to a standard private school multiplier designed to compensate for the lack of a school district). Successful schools are assigned to more competitive districts. Less successful schools are sent to less competitive district.

5. [insert better idea here]

friscokid

I think the same rules that apply to private schools should also apply to charter schools in multi-school districts. They enjoy similar advantages and other states have addressed this.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas