• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Wondering...

Started by Coach Venny Slocombe, April 03, 2016, 06:03:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Venny Slocombe

Why Arkansas didn't hire Mike Neighbors as the Women's basketball coach?

We hire Dykes...Neighbors goes to the final four...

Neighbors is an Arkansas native, Dykes is from Oklahoma...

Crazy stuff happens on the Hill... ::)

beach bum

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on April 03, 2016, 06:03:27 pm

Isn't he the Washington coach? The guy who coached at Bentonville?

beach bum

April 03, 2016, 07:30:41 pm #2 Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 07:32:39 pm by beach bum

Crazy stuff happens on the Hill.
.. ::)

Yea, like giving a coach an extension and raise after going 2-14 in his first two seasons in the SEC.... then people wanting to fire another coach after one bad season right after going 27-9 the previous one.

ricepig

Dykes played at Arkansas, where did Neighbors play? This says he graduated from Fayetteville, I have no idea

http://www.hogstats.com/players/player.php?id=115

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2016, 09:57:22 pm
Dykes played at Arkansas, where did Neighbors play? This says he graduated from Fayetteville, I have no idea

What does it matter where he played, or even if he played. If greatness in basketball made you a great coach then Jordan would be the best...Magic Johnson was great but didn't coach too well...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: beach bum on April 03, 2016, 07:18:31 pm
Isn't he the Washington coach? The guy who coached at Bentonville?
Coached at Bentonville and Cabot, then was an admin assistant under Gary Blair. Greenwood native...but hey, Dykes played at Arkansas...12-18 shouldn't matter...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2016, 09:57:22 pm

Impressive stats by the way...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on April 04, 2016, 06:47:11 pm
What does it matter where he played, or even if he played. If greatness in basketball made you a great coach then Jordan would be the best...Magic Johnson was great but didn't coach too well...

You asked about his connections, I told you, simple as that. I don't care who the coach is, do you?

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on April 05, 2016, 11:32:10 am
You asked about his connections, I told you, simple as that. I don't care who the coach is, do you?
Yeah I get it...just a statement...and yes I do care...Razorback womens athletics should get the same attention shouldn't it? Title IX ring a bell...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on April 05, 2016, 02:23:14 pm
Yeah I get it...just a statement...and yes I do care...Razorback womens athletics should get the same attention shouldn't it? Title IX ring a bell...

They do get attention, did you ask about Dykes last year after his second round loss in the tournament? I don't remember the candidates for the job two years ago, I guess we should have hired that Geno guy, I hear he's pretty good.......

And Title IX doesn't mention winning at all.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on April 05, 2016, 02:33:26 pm
They do get attention, did you ask about Dykes last year after his second round loss in the tournament? I don't remember the candidates for the job two years ago, I guess we should have hired that Geno guy, I hear he's pretty good.......

And Title IX doesn't mention winning at all.
Yeah, I questioned Dykes when he was hired...Neighbors interviewed...seems funny now doesn't it...and no, Title IX doesn't mean winning...have no idea where that came from from...never said it did...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on April 05, 2016, 09:46:41 pm
Yeah, I questioned Dykes when he was hired...Neighbors interviewed...seems funny now doesn't it...and no, Title IX doesn't mean winning...have no idea where that came from from...never said it did...

Got a link on your questioning? Then why mention Title IX, it has nothing to do with the hiring, I only mentioned it as you threw it out there like it did.

beach bum

Title IX?? Venny using it in an argument is the most left of the aisle on the social and political spectrum I have ever seen him.... Welcome to the dark side from friend  8)

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on April 05, 2016, 10:09:21 pm
Got a link on your questioning? Then why mention Title IX, it has nothing to do with the hiring, I only mentioned it as you threw it out there like it did.
lol...you never get anything do you? You stated "does it matter who the coach is"...well it should matter if we spend so much time on Men's coaches...but Title IX meaning winning...lol...you are out there. I think you just like to argue...funny too, you lose 98% of them...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on April 06, 2016, 03:04:14 pm
lol...you never get anything do you? You stated "does it matter who the coach is"...well it should matter if we spend so much time on Men's coaches...but Title IX meaning winning...lol...you are out there. I think you just like to argue...funny too, you lose 98% of them...

Well, it's better than your 100% losing record, lol. Title IX has absolutely zero to do with hiring a coach or a winning record.

Romeo

There was a lot of criticism when Dykes was hired because he was picked over other candidates with women's coaching experience and who were head coaches. Neighbors was one of the candidates. In fairness to Dykes, he's just had two years to work with after starting out with just nine players.

ricepig

Quote from: Romeo on April 07, 2016, 05:22:15 pm
There was a lot of criticism when Dykes was hired because he was picked over other candidates with women's coaching experience and who were head coaches. Neighbors was one of the candidates. In fairness to Dykes, he's just had two years to work with after starting out with just nine players.

Yeah, the WBCA or several of it's members definitely didn't like the hire. I'm not sold on Dykes' coaching ability, but so far, there isn't a true enough picture to gauge it.

Romeo

April 07, 2016, 08:37:07 pm #17 Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:40:15 pm by Romeo
On a positive, Dykes has proven that he can recruit. He signed a Mcdonald's All-American from Oklahoma. I don't think Arkansas has ever signed an All-American women's player. Arkansas got a lot of criticism for hiring Dykes. But around the same time, Louisiana Tech hired a 23 year old to coach women and hardly got any criticism for it. By the way Tyler Summitt resigned today for allegedly having a relationship with a player and getting her pregnant: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15156831/tyler-summitt-resigns-louisiana-tech-women-coach

ricepig

Quote from: Romeo on April 07, 2016, 08:37:07 pm
On a positive, Dykes has proven that he can recruit. He signed a Mcdonald's All-American from Oklahoma. I don't think Arkansas has ever signed an All-American women's player. Arkansas got a lot of criticism for hiring Dykes. But around the same time, Louisiana Tech hired a 23 year old to coach women and hardly got any criticism for it. By the way Tyler Summitt resigned today for allegedly having a relationship with a player and getting her pregnant: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15156831/tyler-summitt-resigns-louisiana-tech-women-coach

Yeah, saw that about Summitt. Jimmy appears to be able to recruit, I think his coaching and getting the girls to buy in is still to be determined. I hope he does, we need another winner on campus.

Moonshiner

I thought it was a great hire. He has a passion for the sport as well as our state.  He's a Razorback and has been for some time now.  I believe the players love to play for him. Excited about the future for our Lady Razorbacks.

beach bum

Quote from: Moonshiner on April 08, 2016, 04:48:23 pm
I thought it was a great hire. He has a passion for the sport as well as our state.  He's a Razorback and has been for some time now.  I believe the players love to play for him. Excited about the future for our Lady Razorbacks.

My exact feelings....

ricepig

Quote from: Moonshiner on April 08, 2016, 04:48:23 pm

Well, rumor is we will see some staff changes, he doesn't let them coach during games, and possibly 2 players transferring. We'll see if they are true or not.

Romeo

I heard at least two players who were juniors and Christy Smith won't be back.

ricepig

Quote from: Romeo on April 08, 2016, 05:38:12 pm
I heard at least two players who were juniors and Christy Smith won't be back.

Yep, announcement on staff change next week.

Coach Venny Slocombe

I never liked Dykes...his ties to Shiloh speaks volumes... ;)

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on April 06, 2016, 10:50:55 pm
Well, it's better than your 100% losing record, lol. Title IX has absolutely zero to do with hiring a coach or a winning record.
lol...I think we have already established  the latter part of your sentence...no sense beating a dead horse...I never said Title IX had anything to do with winning. I can write that in a crayon font if it helps you understand it any better.But the UA does need to do a better job in hiring coaches in womens sports. No matter how you spin it, on the surface Dykes was not a good hire. Now, in a couple years he may or may not pan out...that's yet to be seen. But he may be one of those coaches that you can't run off...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on April 10, 2016, 10:58:15 am
lol...I think we have already established  the latter part of your sentence...no sense beating a dead horse...I never said Title IX had anything to do with winning. I can write that in a crayon font if it helps you understand it any better.But the UA does need to do a better job in hiring coaches in womens sports. No matter how you spin it, on the surface Dykes was not a good hire. Now, in a couple years he may or may not pan out...that's yet to be seen. But he may be one of those coaches that you can't run off...

Well, I also said it has nothing to do with the hiring, do you need that in crayon? You inferred with this:

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on April 05, 2016, 02:23:14 pm

Just because they didn't hire the coach you wanted, I've yet to see any proof of this, doesn't have anything to do with lack of attention. I don't know who interviewed, or was interested in the job, beyond anonymous posters on message boards.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on April 10, 2016, 12:14:30 pm
Well, I also said it has nothing to do with the hiring, do you need that in crayon? You inferred with this:

Just because they didn't hire the coach you wanted, I've yet to see any proof of this, doesn't have anything to do with lack of attention. I don't know who interviewed, or was interested in the job, beyond anonymous posters on message boards.
Wow, thanks for proving my point...lol...I know Mike Neighbors interviewed. I know he went to the final four. I know since he was hired he has three straight twenty win seasons...now, what else I know, Arkansas hired Dykes over Neighbors. Dykes went 12-18 last year...I don't think I need to go any further. Now, I know you don't understand any of this, your comments confirm that. So with the FACTS I just provided I will let you argue with yourself from here on out and still wonder why Arkansas didn't hire Neighbors...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on April 10, 2016, 08:57:37 pm
Wow, thanks for proving my point...lol...I know Mike Neighbors interviewed. I know he went to the final four. I know since he was hired he has three straight twenty win seasons...now, what else I know, Arkansas hired Dykes over Neighbors. Dykes went 12-18 last year...I don't think I need to go any further. Now, I know you don't understand any of this, your comments confirm that. So with the FACTS I just provided I will let you argue with yourself from here on out and still wonder why Arkansas didn't hire Neighbors...

You still haven't shown any proof that you objected to the hire two years ago, only your MMQBing after the fact. I don't why he wasn't hired, maybe he interviewed bad, maybe he turned down the job, there could be numerous reasons he wasn't hired. Now, tell me about this Title IX you referenced earlier, and how it had anything to do with this?? Lol......

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on April 10, 2016, 09:07:09 pm
You still haven't shown any proof that you objected to the hire two years ago, only your MMQBing after the fact. I don't why he wasn't hired, maybe he interviewed bad, maybe he turned down the job, there could be numerous reasons he wasn't hired. Now, tell me about this Title IX you referenced earlier, and how it had anything to do with this?? Lol......

Why would I waste my time looking up something from two years ago to prove anything to you? Get a life man...I am done. Just trying to get some info and you want to argue...learn to lose graciously, you do it enough looks like you would learn by now...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on April 11, 2016, 07:14:52 pm
Why would I waste my time looking up something from two years ago to prove anything to you? Get a life man...I am done. Just trying to get some info and you want to argue...learn to lose graciously, you do it enough looks like you would learn by now...

Because all you do is complain after the fact, so and so should be QB, so and so should have been hired, so and so shouldn't be playing, see the pattern? I gave you info on where Dykes came from and you immediately dismissed it, I didn't say one way or another who should have been hired, only that your Title IX claim was baseless. The day I lose a debate with you is the day I quit posting on here.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas