• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pulaski Academy

Started by PA Dad, August 12, 2015, 10:28:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

August 12, 2015, 10:28:58 pm Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:43:36 pm by sevenof400
Foreword: I am bringing this topic back to the top to help direct discussion which belongs in this thread to this thread.

Please read through this thread as there was some very intelligent discussion throughout.

If your post has been moved to this thread, please know that it was considered more in line with the conversation here.

Sevenof400

---------------------------------------------
I am opening a thread which intrigues me.  I am obviously a PA fan.  I have a kid who attends PA.

What intrigues me is the resentment toward PA which I see on this board.  What is the source of it?

When I was a kid I resented the Yankees because they were just too good and won too many championships.  I resented UCLA because they won the NCAA basketball championship every year.  Is the resentment of PA because PA is too good?

I also read posts here that indicate that folks believe that PA parents are affluent. It is true that many are.  It is also true that many PA parents sacrifice to pay tuition so their kids can get the best education possible.  It is also true that PA gives scholarships to families who can't afford the tuition(even if the kids don't play football!).

And, of course, I read the posts about PA recruiting.  I realize that is a taboo subject.  I will just say that most, if not all, of the kids who play football have been at PA for years.

So, for those who resent PA, I'm giving you an opportunity to vent.  I'm genuinely interested in the source of the resentment.  Tell me why PA is so bad.

AirWarren

Players from malvern, lonoke, and England. Just to name a few. That's probably where resentment lies.

PA Dad

Quote from: AirWarren on August 12, 2015, 10:37:01 pm
Players from malvern, lonoke, and England. Just to name a few. That's probably where resentment lies.

I don't understand.  Please explain it to me.  I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.

Jayepea

August 12, 2015, 11:43:17 pm #3 Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:50:59 pm by Jayepea

[/quote]
Quote from: PA Dad on August 12, 2015, 10:28:58 pm
I am opening a thread which intrigues me.  I am obviously a PA fan.  I have a kid who attends PA.

What intrigues me is the resentment toward PA which I see on this board.  What is the source of it?

When I was a kid I resented the Yankees because they were just too good and won too many championships.  I resented UCLA because they won the NCAA basketball championship every year.  Is the resentment of PA because PA is too good?

I also read posts here that indicate that folks believe that PA parents are affluent. It is true that many are.  It is also true that many PA parents sacrifice to pay tuition so their kids can get the best education possible.  It is also true that PA gives scholarships to families who can't afford the tuition(even if the kids don't play football!).

And, of course, I read the posts about PA recruiting.  I realize that is a taboo subject.  I will just say that most, if not all, of the kids who play football have been at PA for years.

So, for those who resent PA, I'm giving you an opportunity to vent.  I'm genuinely interested in the source of the resentment.  Tell me why PA is so bad.

PA is not bad. Y'all get gave a hard time because y'all should win state every year but don't. Then ask "Why does everyone hate us is it cause we're so good?" Give me a break. Win 3 in a row then you'll be disliked cause you're too good. Ucla & Yankees not even close more like the buffalo bills

Intelligentsia

Two issues for me.
1. Central Arkansas media bias is a bit over the top at times; taking away recognition of other quality teams.  I know it's about selling papers, but it gets a bit old.
2.  Likely as a consequence of #1, it's fun to poke a little fun at the program and to root for a good showing from their opponents.

That said, I respect the ability of the  coaching staff, the obvious hard work of the players, and parents for wanting the best for their kids.   

Proud Buckaroo

It comes down to the same reason so many people hated Shiloh Christian.

AirWarren

Quote from: PA Dad on August 12, 2015, 10:39:54 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on August 12, 2015, 10:37:01 pm

I don't understand.  Please explain it to me.  I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.

I don't want get into old issues. The folks of FF know the players I'm talking about that are way out of the WLR jurisdiction. Oh wait, what jurisdiction?

Media bias here in central Arkansas is kind of disgusting too. Pa is the media darlings of the little rock area. That's ok though, warren has always gotten considerable air time.

SUGARTOWN

I also read posts here that indicate that folks believe that PA parents are affluent. It is true that many are.  It is also true that many PA parents sacrifice to pay tuition so their kids can get the best education possible.  It

No matter how much you "sacrifice" (3 vacations a year instead of 4, new car every OTHER year), if you can afford their tuition you're affluent.

AirWarren

Yup. One person's sacrifice is not the same as the other. The tuition is equal to some college tuition.

I know of a guy that his wife insisted they put their kids in at PA. His words following their graduation, "all it did was teach my kids to be spoiled brats." Now are they norm, who knows. But there isn't any "poor" kids at PA. Unless you're a solid football player and I bet those are few and far between. 

These are the types of pa supporter posts that crack me up haha.

MDXPHD

There are multiple reasons. The main ones are voiced above, the media being a big one. You are lying to yourself if you think the majority of the parents send their kids there because of academics. I'm sure PA is a great school. People just don't like private schools in Arkansas because of the obvious unfair advantages they have over the public schools. It's clear in a lot of sports, not just football. The worst is probably soccer in 4/5A classifications. Go look at the previous state champions, especially 5A girls (take Harrison out, they are an exception). Like stated above, when PA wins the state championship in something, or another private school, people aren't impressed. When they lose, people think they should have won. It's not a good situation to be in from a "wanting to be liked" perspective, but it definitely is in terms of "wanting to win." 

(this thread is likely to get locked if we talk bad about PA)

AirWarren

August 13, 2015, 07:54:44 am #10 Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:57:54 am by AirWarren
Yeah. Lanny loves him some Pa haha.

This guy asked for it though. PA has been the brunt of these "whoa as me" posts from their supporters for years on FF. NOTHING compares to those clowns that used to post from Shiloh Christian.

MDXPHD

Quote from: AirWarren on August 13, 2015, 07:54:44 am

This guy asked for it though. PA has been the brunt of these "whoa as me" posts from their supporters for years on FF. NOTHING compares to those clowns that used to post from Shiloh Christian.

Lol, true. Other than the Marion "we gon' punish" posters back in the day. Shiloh definitely tops them all.

AirWarren

Arkadelphia had some good ones too a couple of years ago. Man, did we crush their dreams.

PA Dad

You are correct - I asked for it.

Thanks for the insight.  I won't try to defend PA here.  I was just really curious as to why this board gets so many negative comments about PA.

Now we'll just have to beat all of you on the field to make you like us even less! ;)

FD4

Dad, I see it much the same.  I know a PA Dad who's son played for PA.  He is a great guy and perhaps the, heck he is the main reason the Fallen Firefighters Memorial is on the capital grounds.  He is now retired.  His son was a good player.  So, I have an interest in PA on that note.  In 06 when PA came to Wynne and won the semi final by one point, I figured that was perhaps the greatest game in high school in Arkansas of all time.  Greenwood proved that wrong the following week by winning the title against PA.  Last season I talked with a man from SH during a playoff game in Wynne.  PA had an RB that was courted by PA to come on over.  Just saying.  If I had a son the caliber of a Knighten or Green or just pick a D1 prospect, I would probably look close at getting him in PA if I lived in the area.  But in the end a school with 450 students (Shiloh back in the Gus days) should never be able to step on a field with public school that has 1200 or 1500 students and compete, it just don't happen.  So getting top quality athletes does seem to be a normality with any private school.  So I would have to say it is jealousy mixed with a bit of disappointment.  Or as we say in NASCAR, "I cant stand Jimmy Johnson".  All Jimmy does is drive the car.  All those kids do is play the game.  Get it?

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: AirWarren on August 13, 2015, 07:54:44 am

Shiloh people tend to be hateful in person, as well.

AirWarren

Quote from: PA Dad on August 13, 2015, 10:21:51 am
You are correct - I asked for it.

Thanks for the insight.  I won't try to defend PA here.  I was just really curious as to why this board gets so many negative comments about PA.

Now we'll just have to beat all of you on the field to make you like us even less! ;)

Well when you get the top picks within a 35-40 mile radius I would expect you to beat people on the field.

I actually look for Pa to beat warren really good again this year btw. I do like coach K. Seems like a good guy.

Overdahill

I got transferred from Texas to LR while my  son was in elementary school. Our town in Texas had bagged a couple of 5A state championships while we were there so I was used to the bar being set high in terms of coaching and offseason preparations not to mention talent.

We were used to public school and quite frankly I did not want to pay for private school tuition. But after watching many of the LR area schools show up on Friday nights with the kids appearing unprepared to compete it really narrowed the possibilities from my standpoint. I never had to do that on a Friday night or Saturday and given a choice didn't want my kid to have to. If it had been Greenwood, Batesville, Wynne, etc where we moved to and the kids come out ready to compete every week he would have stayed in public school.

Bottom line is that because ultimately we had a choice resource-wise we chose PA. I don't feel that my son ended up spoiled at PA in large part due to Coach Kelley and the staff who are very demanding with high expectations and work ethics that discourage "sissification". It was a sacrifice but I would gladly do it again as a result of what he learned from that coaching staff.

AirWarren

Understandable. LRSD sucks.

However, with stories like yours there are stories of the other side that we can't discuss on here without getting the boot.

GuvHog

With me, its the fact that PA can recruit while the rules don't allow the public schools to do so.

With Shiloh, it's the fact that in addition to getting players from NWA, they can get players from Missouri and Oklahoma where as most public schools up there can't do that.

I don't even like the fact that most of Junction City's students live in Louisiana.

Proud Buckaroo

I agree with all your points. Other than the junction city one. The LA side is literally 5 minutes from the school. They are a charter school. Which makes it legal to allow students from LA to attend their school.

AirWarren

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on August 13, 2015, 01:04:57 pm
I agree with all your points. Other than the junction city one. The LA side is literally 5 minutes from the school. They are a charter school. Which makes it legal to allow students from LA to attend their school.

Are all charter schools like that?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: GuvHog on August 13, 2015, 12:37:24 pm
With me, its the fact that PA can recruit while the rules don't allow the public schools to do so.

With Shiloh, it's the fact that in addition to getting players from NWA, they can get players from Missouri and Oklahoma where as most public schools up there can't do that.

I don't even like the fact that most of Junction City's students live in Louisiana.
most of their students? what is that %?

Proud Buckaroo

Bleu has posted the numbers of the kids from junction at one point.

Ventman

oh man you better watch saying that about JC. They don't like to talk about that!😂😂

Ventman

I don't agree with the fact that these private schools get to recruit players. That puts the public schools at a disadvantage.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on August 13, 2015, 02:20:39 pm
i'm asking guv.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

August 13, 2015, 04:02:34 pm #27 Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:06:59 pm by Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

I'll go ahead and say it.  I don't dislike PA.  Sure, they have some spoiled brats who act like turds sometimes, but guess what - so does Maumelle and every other school in the country.  The relative wealth per capita is a biggie with some people, but I don't care how much or how little money a person has as long as they treat others with respect.  I have been around some snooty folks at PA, but I also know some really good people and kids associated with the school and program.  Again, you're gonna see that at pretty much every school.  Wealthy parents who want to send their kids to private schools is of no concern to me - I say good for them. 

As for the media bias - well yeah, but who else is the media in the metro area gonna cover?  Maumelle is about the only other school to have much success in football in Pulaski County the last few years.  PA's media coverage here is deserved.  When basketball season starts, the focus shifts to the successful basketball programs.  NLR gets more basketball coverage than PA gets football coverage.  The same is true with the other LRSD schools when they are successful - Jacksonville, Parkview, Mills, Hall, etc.

I won't get into the recruiting war, except to say if you watch any of the other schools in the metro area, one thing you'll notice pretty quickly is that PA doesn't have the best athletes.  And understand I'm not saying they are unathletic - they have a lot of quality athletes.  I think what sets PA apart here is the quality of coaching staffs and probably the resources available.  I think the former more than the latter - for some reason it's been hard for the other schools in and around LR to keep quality coaching staffs.  Actually, now that I think about it, the latter may be a cause for the former.  Coaches in the public schools aren't given the resources, support, etc. that the PA coaching staff has.  That's not PA's fault - that's the fault of the LRSD and PCSSD.

Anyway, my thoughts may change if PA's 9th grade team beats our 9th grade team this year.  ;)

Go Postal

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 13, 2015, 07:53:54 am
There are multiple reasons. The main ones are voiced above, the media being a big one. You are lying to yourself if you think the majority of the parents send their kids there because of academics. I'm sure PA is a great school. People just don't like private schools in Arkansas because of the obvious unfair advantages they have over the public schools. It's clear in a lot of sports, not just football. The worst is probably soccer in 4/5A classifications. Go look at the previous state champions, especially 5A girls (take Harrison out, they are an exception). Like stated above, when PA wins the state championship in something, or another private school, people aren't impressed. When they lose, people think they should have won. It's not a good situation to be in from a "wanting to be liked" perspective, but it definitely is in terms of "wanting to win." 

CLASS 5A Boys
2015 - De Queen (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2014 - De Queen (Runner-up HS Lakeside)
2013 - Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Harrison)
2012 – Siloam Springs (Runner-up HS Lakeside)
2011 – Siloam Springs (Runner-up HS Lakeside)
2010 – Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Hope)
2009 – Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Central Arkansas Christian)
2008 – Harrison (Runner-up LR Christian)
2007 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up Siloam Springs)
2006 – Harrison (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2005 – Harrison (Runner-up Siloam Springs)
2004 – Harrison (Runner-up Central Arkansas Christian)
2003 – Harrison (Runner-up HS Lakeside)
2002 – Harrison (Runner-up Searcy)

CLASS 5A Girls
2015 - Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2014 - Harrison (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2013 - Shiloh Christian (Runner-up Harrison)
2012 – Central Arkansas Christian (Runner-up LR Christian)
2011 – Harrison (Runner-up LR Christian)
2010 – Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2009 – Little Rock Christian (Runner-up Central Arkansas Christian)
2008 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up LR Christian)
2007 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up LR Christian)
2006 – Central Arkansas Christian (Runner-up Pulaski Academy)
2005 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up Little Rock Christian)
2004 – Harrison (Runner-up Arkadelphia)
2003 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up Harrison)
2002 – Harrison (Runner-up Searcy)

MDXPHD, Just helping you show your point, buddy.
I don't really have a problem with private schools playing public schools in any sport.  Are they the better teams than other teams?  Maybe.  Sometimes.  Depends on the sport.  But I think that a lot of public school teams have just gotten better over the years by learning from their mistakes if they lose to a private school team in any sport.  I say, bring them on, let us public schools earn our bragging rights.

Grond

PULASKI ACADEMY - Hello?!? PA gets scrutinized because they WIN.

I was at the Wynne/PA finals. Wynne actually looked MORE athletic than PA. But PA won because:
1) PA was more disciplined. On every play, 11 players did their job. Wynne had too many players that took a play 'off'.
2) PA coaching staff adjusted quickly to game situation. If something went bad on a series, PA adjusted the next series. Wynne tried to run screens the whole 3rd quarter, without success.

We seem to be so focused on TALENT in this day and age. Playing SMART will get you more consistent success.

RECRUITING - Hello #2: Good schools don't have to recruit. Parents will find a way to get their kids to what they believe are good schools, whether it is academic or athletic reasons. Come on up to northeast Arkansas. The Jonesboro/Brookland/Paragould/Marmaduke is insane, especially in basketball. And they are all PUBLIC schools.

For example: Remember 3 years ago, when a basketball player from Nettleton (5A school in Jonesboro) made ESPN by a tremendous dunk? His sophmore year he was at Nettleton (5A); his junior year he was at Jonesboro (6A); and his senior year he was at..............Senath, Missouri (2A?)!!!

The point is: PA is not recruiting; PA is being chosen because of the quality of their school.

PA Dad

I invited the criticism of PA football so I won't complain that I got what I asked for.  But, I think you are dead wrong when you assert that parents don't send their kids to PA because of academics.  That is the only reason my kid is there.  And I assume you haven't polled PA parents to see what motivates PA parents to send their kids there.  So you are making an assertion with no factual basis. 

I generally enjoy your posts.  But you are as wrong as you can be on this one.

Jayepea

I bet pa dad a 12 pack they don't win it this year

PA Dad

August 13, 2015, 10:59:46 pm #32 Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:30:15 pm by PA Dad
Quote from: Jayepea on August 13, 2015, 10:51:59 pm

And I won't take that bet.  As I've said before there are too many questions about PA this year.  It is hard to repeat even if you return a lot of starters.  PA lost many good players and has a sophomore starting at quarterback.  That makes the odds very long for a repeat.  I'm not the brightest guy around but I don't bet against long odds.

But I might change my opinion in October depending on how PA performs. Maybe I'll take the bet then if you still want it.

Jayepea

Jayepea

Who u got everybody pa or the field?

PA Dad

Quote from: Jayepea on August 13, 2015, 11:03:13 pm
Wuss

Now you are really hurting my feelings.  I may have to quit FF because of your bullying.  But,  I'll take the bet in reverse.  You name your team and I'll bet you a 12 pack they don't win the state championship.

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on August 12, 2015, 11:58:37 pm
Two issues for me.
1. Central Arkansas media bias is a bit over the top at times; taking away recognition of other quality teams.  I know it's about selling papers, but it gets a bit old.
2.  Likely as a consequence of #1, it's fun to poke a little fun at the program and to root for a good showing from their opponents.

That said, I respect the ability of the  coaching staff, the obvious hard work of the players, and parents for wanting the best for their kids.

You always have a thoughtful analysis and a reasoned answer.  It's too bad not all posters are as thoughtful and reasoned.

Intelligentsia

Thanks PA Dad; I appreciate your thoughtful posts, as well.  I will add to the conversation that "school choice" has evened the ability for successful programs the ability to attract quality players.  I have great respect for programs like Wynne or even Batesville, located in low population areas; programs that seldom attract quality players from outlying areas.  One can only imagine how many families that have relocated into the Greenwood district from that relatively well populated area, in order to be part of that program.  Had I lived in that area, prior to school choice, I would have done the same. 

FD4

Intella, one more of those complements and I call it dating, watch out Dad, he's baiting you in!  LOL

StateChampDad

The following link may be an example of why it is fun to hate on PA.  PA doesn't just get local media coverage, it gets national media coverage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/08/13/the-highly-successful-high-school-coach-who-never-punts-has-another-radical-idea/?tid=pm_sports_pop_b

IAFLAR7

Quote from: PA Dad on August 13, 2015, 10:59:46 pm

And I won't take that bet.  As I've said before there are too many questions about PA this year.  It is hard to repeat even if you return a lot of starters.  PA lost many good players and has a sophomore starting at quarterback.  That makes the odds very long for a repeat.  I'm not the brightest guy around but I don't bet against long odds.

But I might change my opinion in October depending on how PA performs. Maybe I'll take the bet then if you still want it.
Who is the starting QB this year?

PA Dad

Quote from: IAFLAR7 on August 14, 2015, 01:00:29 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on August 13, 2015, 10:59:46 pm

Who is the starting QB this year?

Layne Hatcher.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: AirWarren on August 13, 2015, 07:50:35 am
Yup. One person's sacrifice is not the same as the other. The tuition is equal to some college tuition.

I know of a guy that his wife insisted they put their kids in at PA. His words following their graduation, "all it did was teach my kids to be spoiled brats." Now are they norm, who knows. But there isn't any "poor" kids at PA. Unless you're a solid football player and I bet those are few and far between. 

These are the types of pa supporter posts that crack me up haha.
This is very wrong. There are "poor" kids at PA that have never played a sport.  Some are on scholarship, some have families that put money together to pay for PA. 

PA's education is among the very best in the state. That's why people pay for it.  There are some spoiled kids there for sure.  I bet there are some at Warren.  I also know multiple kids from last year's class that were accepted to Stanford based on academics.

Rather than answering the question, you just contributed to the stereotype.

AirWarren

Quote from: StateChampDad on August 14, 2015, 12:58:55 pm
The following link may be an example of why it is fun to hate on PA.  PA doesn't just get local media coverage, it gets national media coverage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/08/13/the-highly-successful-high-school-coach-who-never-punts-has-another-radical-idea/?tid=pm_sports_pop_b

Warren gets national media coverage. Existing way back during the Reid McKinney pass record days in the early 2000s. USA today articles. When jarius, Greg, and Chris were drafted, there were all kinds of national media in warren for those stories.

So, the "media" coverage doesn't really bother us in warren. We have been in the media for a long time now.

Red Devil Alum

Cough - NLR - cough.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: PA Dad on August 13, 2015, 10:48:45 pm

I invited the criticism of PA football so I won't complain that I got what I asked for.  But, I think you are dead wrong when you assert that parents don't send their kids to PA because of academics.  That is the only reason my kid is there.  And I assume you haven't polled PA parents to see what motivates PA parents to send their kids there.  So you are making an assertion with no factual basis.  I generally enjoy your posts.  But you are as wrong as you can be on this one.

I made my decision to send my children to PA strictly on academics and safety.  In the mid 90's, the DemGaz was rift with articles about LRSD and weapons being brought to schools (yes, even in elementary school).  While I believe you can get a good education in LRSD if you get in the right school and AP programs (i.e., Central), the safety issue tipped the scales for me. 

I had lived in LR for 16 years and never been to an area high school football game and knew absolutely nothing about PA athletics when my oldest child started school there, so the sports program was definitely not the attraction.  Both my children participated in varsity sports and I am an avid Bruin fan and still attend games even though I no longer have students there.

Not all families at PA are wealthy (maybe a relative term here, as we all probably have our own ideas about what makes one wealthy) and trust me when I say many well-heeled families are represented in the public school system. 

As far as recruiting accusations, I never saw it while my kids were there.  I did an analysis several years ago when my son was on the football team and most of the team members began Kindergarten at PA and a few had moved into the school in later elementary and only a couple after junior high.  I have learned that no matter what the facts are, some people believe only what they want to believe.  When I hear those arguments presented, I just shrug them off.

One thing I think people from outside of LR will understand is the sense of community you get from the local school.  In LR, the public school system and its attendance zones make it difficult have a K-12 sense of community.  I grew up in rural AR and all K-12 was in one campus and I see the similar sense of community present at PA.

As far as those who chose to hate for whatever reason, go ahead.  Nothing anybody says will change your opinion and that's okay.  I prefer to live without having ill feelings, spite or envy towards others.

AirWarren

Good post. My child is in one of the best elementary schools in the LR area. While its part of the PCSSD, I'm still weary of the sour grapes the LRSD has toward thriving schools in the LR area. And those sour grapes spillin over into the other good schools in the PCSSD.

So in short, if my daughter was told she had to go to LR parkview, you better believe I would be killing myself to put her in a private school.

AirWarren

August 17, 2015, 02:32:27 pm #47 Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:34:07 pm by AirWarren
And depending on the shape of the remaining PCSSD schools when she leaves elementary, a private school may be in her future.

PA Dad

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on August 17, 2015, 02:01:43 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on August 13, 2015, 10:48:45 pm

I invited the criticism of PA football so I won't complain that I got what I asked for.  But, I think you are dead wrong when you assert that parents don't send their kids to PA because of academics.  That is the only reason my kid is there.  And I assume you haven't polled PA parents to see what motivates PA parents to send their kids there.  So you are making an assertion with no factual basis.  I generally enjoy your posts.  But you are as wrong as you can be on this one.

I made my decision to send my children to PA strictly on academics and safety.  In the mid 90's, the DemGaz was rift with articles about LRSD and weapons being brought to schools (yes, even in elementary school).  While I believe you can get a good education in LRSD if you get in the right school and AP programs (i.e., Central), the safety issue tipped the scales for me. 

I had lived in LR for 16 years and never been to an area high school football game and knew absolutely nothing about PA athletics when my oldest child started school there, so the sports program was definitely not the attraction.  Both my children participated in varsity sports and I am an avid Bruin fan and still attend games even though I no longer have students there.

Not all families at PA are wealthy (maybe a relative term here, as we all probably have our own ideas about what makes one wealthy) and trust me when I say many well-heeled families are represented in the public school system. 

As far as recruiting accusations, I never saw it while my kids were there.  I did an analysis several years ago when my son was on the football team and most of the team members began Kindergarten at PA and a few had moved into the school in later elementary and only a couple after junior high.  I have learned that no matter what the facts are, some people believe only what they want to believe.  When I hear those arguments presented, I just shrug them off.

One thing I think people from outside of LR will understand is the sense of community you get from the local school.  In LR, the public school system and its attendance zones make it difficult have a K-12 sense of community.  I grew up in rural AR and all K-12 was in one campus and I see the similar sense of community present at PA.

As far as those who chose to hate for whatever reason, go ahead.  Nothing anybody says will change your opinion and that's okay.  I prefer to live without having ill feelings, spite or envy towards others.

Well said.  Your experience is much like mine.

JC Guy

Quote from: Oldman on August 13, 2015, 02:59:22 pm
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on August 13, 2015, 02:20:39 pm
i'm asking guv.
No he don't know Old Man but he heard it from someone one time. And Ventman I am glad to see you are still doing what you do. And my old buddy Air Warren come on now how many studs have drove by the hermits field to go be a Jack? Come on guys. Always hating!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas