• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strong Fan Bases

Started by arklasports57, November 20, 2014, 09:20:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arklasports57

Started to reply to something on another thread but thought it might be perceived as hi-jacking the thread.  But some seem to be displeased with their fans and how they back the team.  Win or lose.  Home or away. Big games verses little games, etc.  Just wondering how some of the other teams feel about this.  Not talking about FF fans but town support in general.  I've seen a lot of teams with good support but just curious how others feel about their supporters.  I totally dislike fair weather fans.

CounterPunch

Star City fans pack the bleachers home or away.

Scrappcheerdad

I think Nashville travels as good as any team in Arkansas. We pack the stands home and away.

Superjack45

Most of Warren fans are fairweather fans but you have that faithful few that come no matter what and I can only speak for me but some of these fans only come out when it's a big game or hear that the opponent have been talking a lot of smack about Warren (ie) Arkie. I Can say this when a game is out of town,standing room only.

arklasports57

I have witnessed Nashville's and agree it's pretty good. Similar to Bagders. Sure would love the opportunity to match up with Star City, fans and team. It's definitely on my wish list  ;D

~WPS~

I've seen many times on the road when Nashville's fans outnumber the home team.

intruder

It really bothers me when I go to a game, home or away and I can tell that not even half of the parents show up to support their children.

swarfan

Arkadelphia travels very well.  They even charter fan buses for those that want to make the trip but don't have a ride.  I think they charge $5 per person to cover the cost but that's relatively cheap for someone wanting to go to a game 4 hours away at Gosnell. 

LJ06

Nashville and Arkadelphia are two of the best traveling fan bases I've seen.

arkcrash

Wonder what the average paid attendance would be to 4a conference games, 2K people?
Playoff games, 3K people?

Gray lizard

Winning a lot of games will fill the stands for most schools.  Towns close to each other will also fill the stands.  Let a team have a couple of bad years and they will empty in a hurry.  A good school system will get as many students involved as possible.  This will be with players on the field, marching band, cheer teams, and ROTC.  When you have a few hundred students that brings out family and can make for a good crowd even when the team is down.

Booneville has always had a large fan following at their games.

Dardanelle has a good game experience and pretty good crowds. If the weather is good tonight I expect a very large crowd.

arklasports57

Quote from: Gray lizard on November 21, 2014, 08:34:24 am
Winning a lot of games will fill the stands for most schools.  Towns close to each other will also fill the stands.  Let a team have a couple of bad years and they will empty in a hurry.  A good school system will get as many students involved as possible.  This will be with players on the field, marching band, cheer teams, and ROTC.  When you have a few hundred students that brings out family and can make for a good crowd even when the team is down.

Dardanelle has a good game experience and pretty good crowds. If the weather is good tonight I expect a very large crowd.

Exactly. I can't remember the percentage but I do know that Arkadelphia has a high percentage of students involved in some way, either field, band, cheer, dance, etc.  The community is more likely to come to the games when there are other reasons to be excited for the school even if the football team may be having an off year.   Seems to work for us.

Blazer51

In 2010 when we had the best team to come through the school yet, our fans packed the stands at every game! We had one of the best student sections I have ever seen that were at every game. It had a lot to do with that years senior class. The next two years our fans sucked. But last year when we mad a run to the semifinals the stands were back. Valley view has a few of the faithfuls but most are very wishy washy. But then claim to be true fans when we start doing good again.

Gray lizard

Quote from: arklasports57 on November 21, 2014, 09:49:25 am
Quote from: Gray lizard on November 21, 2014, 08:34:24 am

Exactly. I can't remember the percentage but I do know that Arkadelphia has a high percentage of students involved in some way, either field, band, cheer, dance, etc.  The community is more likely to come to the games when there are other reasons to be excited for the school even if the football team may be having an off year.   Seems to work for us.

I was at the game last Friday and I can tell Arkadelphia's school program is doing well.  Just how many players do they dress out?  And a large band.  The band really moves a lot almost made me dizzy.  Do you think you will have that many make the long trip this week?

cuckoobird

Honestly, I prefer away games because only the true fans come to them. home games are a social event

LJ06

Quote from: cuckoobird on November 21, 2014, 10:00:01 am
Honestly, I prefer away games because only the true fans come to them. home games are a social event

For once I couldn't agree more

arklasports57

Gray Lizard - I think around 70 dress out.  Yes, very large band and spirit squads. And all do very well in state competitions.  Pretty well rounded and keeps the community involved.  I think a lot will travel today to Gosnell.  Not sure the same amount as last week.  Guess we'll see.

Agree with you 100% cuckoobird.  I prefer away games too for the same reason you stated.  However, prefer the closer ones over these playoff distances!

polksalet

Lizard, you may be about the see the ultimate 4a fan experience next week. That's if both y'all and Nashville win tonight which I put at about 50/50.

hawgfan15

I completely agree

Romeo

Excellent quote.

polksalet

Jack1990

Cuckoo that has to be one of your best posts ever!

iivydriff

pea Ridge has a big strong Fan Base.

dc24

You also have to remember that Warren has the largest amount of home bleachers I've seen at a school our size.  We had the stands packed at Dollarway a couple of weekends ago.

That being said, we've had our weak moments and we do have fairweather fans.  I don't think it'll ever get to the point of support in 2001 and 2002 again, but I hope we have some solid showings in the playoffs.  We will have fans come to home games, but they leave at halftime or early.  Sometimes regardless of the score.  I've never been a hunter, never seen the appeal of it, but that hurts this time of year as well.  I'm not sure why it would be more fun than a football game, but that's what a lot of people choose over football.

Winning always helps though.  I'd like to see a town, including the ones listed above, that still packs its stadium when the team is 2-8 or 1-9 or 0-10.  That would impress me.  Football is just so popular now and especially in Arkansas so I think that most places probably have above average support for their school despite how good or bad the team is.

hogfan10

Quote from: dc24 on November 21, 2014, 01:09:33 pm
You also have to remember that Warren has the largest amount of home bleachers I've seen at a school our size.  We had the stands packed at Dollarway a couple of weekends ago.

That being said, we've had our weak moments and we do have fairweather fans.  I don't think it'll ever get to the point of support in 2001 and 2002 again, but I hope we have some solid showings in the playoffs.  We will have fans come to home games, but they leave at halftime or early.  Sometimes regardless of the score.  I've never been a hunter, never seen the appeal of it, but that hurts this time of year as well.  I'm not sure why it would be more fun than a football game, but that's what a lot of people choose over football.

Winning always helps though.  I'd like to see a town, including the ones listed above, that still packs its stadium when the team is 2-8 or 1-9 or 0-10.  That would impress me.  Football is just so popular now and especially in Arkansas so I think that most places probably have above average support for their school despite how good or bad the team is.

Warren's home size is pretty good size, but I wouldn't say it's the largest (but maybe it is).

~WPS~

Not as big as Arkadelphia's or Nashville's.

cuckoobird

WOA bear!! there are several bigger than Warren's

polksalet

If we go 2-10 the program will end and we'll sell the aluminum bleachers for scrap. And then sacrifice a fighting rooster on the 50.

cuckoobird

Quote from: polksalet on November 21, 2014, 02:48:46 pm
If we go 2-10 the program will end and we'll sell the aluminum bleachers for scrap. And then sacrifice a fighting rooster on the 50.
Just curious, why a rooster?

SUGARTOWN

We had the stands packed at Dollarway a couple of weekends ago.
To be fair though, it only takes about 150 people to fill those stands.

polksalet

You've obviously never been to Nashville.

cuckoobird

Quote from: polksalet on November 21, 2014, 02:54:33 pm
Oh ok the chicken houses and that terrible smell. Gotcha

hawgfan15

Quote from: cuckoobird on November 21, 2014, 02:57:12 pm

chicken plant = terrible smell

cuckoobird

Quote from: hawgfan15 on November 21, 2014, 03:02:00 pm
Quote from: cuckoobird on November 21, 2014, 02:57:12 pm

chicken plant = terrible smell
It's funny, our bean plant smells like boiling chickens.

dc24

Quote from: cuckoobird on November 21, 2014, 02:23:41 pm

Never been to Arkadelphia so I can't speak on their's, although they were recently a classification up so I could believe they are bigger.  It's been forever since I've been to Nashville so I don't really remember it.  I just know that ours go up a lot of rows, more in the two middle sections, and extend from about end zone to end zone, maybe 10-yard line to 10-yard line.  I just know ours were always bigger than any other team in the conference, but its been several years since I've been to some places and it's changed a bit.  I just always remember thinking that most other schools our size would have trouble filling our bleachers.  There was a time though whenever they were packed completely full and there would be hundreds of people standing.  The Monticello game from 2001, I think, maybe 2002, was the one where you could hardly walk down to the concession stand there was so many people.  I don't think we've had a game like that since or if we had one before.

Didn't mean it as a shot to other teams though so sorry if any of you guys took it that way.

hogfan10

Quote from: dc24 on November 21, 2014, 04:13:02 pm
Quote from: cuckoobird on November 21, 2014, 02:23:41 pm

Never been to Arkadelphia so I can't speak on their's, although they were recently a classification up so I could believe they are bigger.  It's been forever since I've been to Nashville so I don't really remember it.  I just know that ours go up a lot of rows, more in the two middle sections, and extend from about end zone to end zone, maybe 10-yard line to 10-yard line.  I just know ours were always bigger than any other team in the conference, but its been several years since I've been to some places and it's changed a bit.  I just always remember thinking that most other schools our size would have trouble filling our bleachers.  There was a time though whenever they were packed completely full and there would be hundreds of people standing.  The Monticello game from 2001, I think, maybe 2002, was the one where you could hardly walk down to the concession stand there was so many people.  I don't think we've had a game like that since or if we had one before.

Didn't mean it as a shot to other teams though so sorry if any of you guys took it that way.

No offense taken, Warren has a nice sized stadium (home side); It could use some work on the visitor's side though. Don't know if Arkadelphia's is larger or not, but it is a pretty good size stadium. It's built into a hill on the home side so it appears somewhat smaller than it is in pictures. Nashville also has a good size stadium (home side), and could also use some work on the visitor's side.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas