• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guitarist Jeff Healey Dies

Started by -Painted Fan-, March 03, 2008, 08:25:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Painted Fan-

Rock/Jazz guitar legend Jeff Healey passed away Sunday March 2nd.  He was 41.  Jeff suffered from a rare cancer of the eyes, known as Retinoblasoma, which ultimately killed him.  The Canadian guitarist had been blind since the age of 1.
Jeff had been playing guitar since age 3, and developed a unique style- sitting the guitar flat on his lap.  Along with the guitar, Jeff also played the trumpet and clarinet.  He was alos an avid record collector, amassing over 25,000 78 rpm records.
Along with appearing in the Patrick Swayze film "Roadhouse", Jeff was also in the Stevie Ray Vaughn music video "Look At Little Sister".
Jeff owned the nightclub "Jeff Healey's Roadhouse" in Toronto, where he lived with his wife and 2 children.
Jeff passed 1 month before the release of his newest CD, "Mess Of Blues".
RIP Jeff.

RisonRacingFan

March 04, 2008, 02:06:33 pm #1 Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 02:20:25 pm by RT
Hate to hear this. All of the good ones die young.

Hendrix

Vaughan

Healey

Throwback1

RisonRacingFan

Quote from: Throwback1 on March 04, 2008, 02:12:43 pm
BB King
Eric CLapton

oh, wait

Clapton himself said Vaughan was better than him. In fact, Vaughan opened up for him in 88, and about the 4th show into the tour, they made Vaughan the headliner because people were leaving after he played, and Clapton said himself after Stevie played, there was not much more a guitarist could do to entertain a crowd.

Throwback1

Vaughn is the best whoever lived, imo..not my point...but, "ALL" the "GOOD" ones (DON'T) die young....

Father Guido

Sad to hear about Jeff Healy.  Hadn't heard anything about him for quite a while.

(for those of you who have never SEEN Stevie Ray Vaughan play,  I suggest you go find a DVD somewhere.  "Live at the el Mocombo" has some amazing stuff on it.  There are a couple of "Austin City Limits" shows available out there, too.  You will be amazed.  He was a great guitar "player", but was absolutely mind blowing to watch.  He just became one with the guitar and nothing else seemed to even exist.  My favorite Clapton quote was about comparing playing a song to telling a story.  Clapton said "most people "play" in sentences.  Stevie will play a paragraph or two at a time."

Throwback1

I saw a concert DVD once where I believe BB echoed Clapton's general sentiments.

RisonRacingFan

Yes, that was BB who said that at Stevie's tribute concert. I have the DVD.

Father Guido

March 05, 2008, 07:04:20 pm #8 Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 07:06:44 pm by Father Guido
OK, so Alzhiemer's strikes again.  Maybe it was BB.

...but to get back on track, I just got through listening to Jeff Healey's song, "Angel Eyes".  Maybe he can see now.

Throwback1

I don't know...I just said that BB offered the same general sentiments as Clapton regarding SRV's talent....never doubted that Clapton made the quote you posted,since I'd never heard that exact quote from Clapton or BB...

RisonRacingFan

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas