• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hip Hop

Started by Juice-Man, February 02, 2008, 08:35:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Juice-Man

I've always wondered why only a select few including me have love and respect for hip hop/rap.  A lot of the rappers today are lyrical geniuses.  I can somewhat understand why some of you don't like it because the mainstream crap they put on the radio and TV isn't worth the mud in my back yard.  I mean, instead of UGK, Z-Ro, Trae, or Devin the Dude they play Souljah Boy (which I intensely despise).  So I ask that you don't be so quick to judge because of the crap they put on the radio and TV.

Also, I ask this for the hardcore rap fans out there............

Who is your favorite rapper of all-time?  Or which song is your favorite of all-time?

Mine are Chamillionaire and I'd Rather F^ck With You - Eazy E

Rizzo

I'm a big time Lil Weezy fan. He is infact a lyrical genius.

Squirt

"I' d Rather F*ck with You" is one of eazy's better songs, but my fav of all time is "Always into Someting". I know its more NWA than just Eazy, but still my fav. As far as rap albums over all you cant go wrong with the first Chronic album. Also, I think one of the best rap songs ever is "Victim of a Drive-By" (3-6) but I didnt have to tell you that huh?

AllSmiles

Weezy F. Baby and Kanye West.

Jeezy gets an honorable mention.

ahoycorey

February 03, 2008, 12:47:31 am #4 Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 12:56:54 am by ahoycorey
I HATE really mainstream rap such as 50 Cent,Three Six Mafia,and Soulja Boy.

Though there are some fairly popular artist that I enjoy like Common,Lupe Fiasco,and Nas.

My favorite is MF Doom though.
Karma and War Paint are wonderful.
I'm sure he's not for everyone,but check him out if you haven't already.

AllSmiles

I don't think I would classify Three Six Mafia as "main stream".

ahoycorey

Quote from: AllSmiles on February 03, 2008, 12:48:39 am
I just meant that they are infinitely more popular than a lot of underground rappers who are better in my opinion. It's just not my type of rap I guess. I respect anyone who thinks differently though.

AllSmiles

Quote from: ahoycorey on February 03, 2008, 12:53:10 am
Quote from: AllSmiles on February 03, 2008, 12:48:39 am
I just meant that they are infinitely more popular than a lot of underground rappers who are better in my opinion. It's just not my type of rap I guess. I respect anyone who thinks differently though.

I understand what you're saying, but I was just wanted to tell you that they've been underground WAY longer than they've been popular.

Rizzo

I'm a big Lupe Fiasco and Common fan as well, it's different, but good.

dc24

I haven't been listening to as much Hip Hop lately, but I like T.I., Jadakiss, Chamillionaire, Ludacris, Nelly, and I liked Tupac, but that's about it as far as particular artists.  I don't really like anything of Lil Wayne's except for Fireman, it's alright.  I pretty much go on a song to song basis with hip hop instead of caring about the artist.  I love Party Like A Rockstar, but I don't know any of their other songs and I don't care to look and find out even though I love the song.

I also just can't listen to some hip hop.  It's just a little to hardcore or over the edge for me.  For example, Lil Wayne's P***y, Money, and Weed.  I've never listened to the song, and I never want to after seeing the title.  Not trying to start a morals/beliefs debate, but that's just how I feel about some of the songs.

shotgunbilly3215

The Fat Boys - Human Beat Box
The Fat Boys - All You Can Eat
DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince - Nightmare On My Street
DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince - Summertime
Run DMC - It's Tricky

Stuff like that(^)I like. All this new crap, I dont like at all. All this talk about suckin yo momma and killin people and sh*t like that. Gets on my nerves, so I dont listen to it.

Back when stuff was good and you werent required to "F" sumthin every other verse.
Jam Master J, Grandmaster Flash, and Rev Run.......even the names are cool. haha

Coach Runyan

The Three Six comment is way off. Those guys defined undeground rap in the 90s. I guess you could make the arguement that their old stuff (Tear Da Club Up, Where's Da Bud...) is better than their new stuff.

Favorite single artist..... Tupac.

Favorite group...... UGK (RIP Pimp).

Fav. Song....... the one that got it all started for me "Nuthing But a G Thang"

SandLizard04

2Pac, Outkast, and Nappy Roots are all very good; they also seem to be the only rap I can stand to listen to.

Quote from: Jarred on February 03, 2008, 01:32:34 am
I'm a big Lupe Fiasco and Common fan as well, it's different, but good.
Those two played at UCA last year, I think.

mattp_68

Pop Bottles - Birdman ft Lil Wayne

Everything - Juvenile ft T-Pain

only way to go

razorback5

These guys are incredible:

Three 6
Yo Gotti
Nakia Shine
Gucci Mane
Lil' Wayne
Project Pat
Lil' Wyte
Lord Infamous

I would rather listen to a kindergarten music class before any of that mainstream crap like 50 Cent, Nelly, Ludacris, etc.

I also love my local gutter Jonesboro rap. KBG, Soulja Boyz, Ounce mane, Playalaid, 2 Pretty, many others...

AllSmiles

Juice-Man

Quote from: razorback5 on February 03, 2008, 11:29:23 pm
These guys are incredible:

Three 6
Yo Gotti
Nakia Shine
Gucci Mane
Lil' Wayne
Project Pat
Lil' Wyte
Lord Infamous
I'm guessing you live in NE Arkansas because all of the Memphis rappers you named.  If you wanna get technical about it Project Pat, Lil Wyte, and Lord Infamous are all Hypnotize Camp Posse (AKA Three 6 Mafia).  And to the comment about Three 6 being mainstream, they are now.  I loved them when it was Juicy J (Juice Man), Lord Infamous, Crunchy Black, Project Pat, and DJ Paul.  Now it's basically just Juice and Paul.

But no one on this earth has the lyrical intesity of Chamillionaire.  He's off the meat rack.  His Mixtape Messiah 1 in which he destroyed Mike Jones every bar.  King Koopa is in a league of his own.

razorback5

Quote from: AllSmiles on February 04, 2008, 02:22:34 am
Jonesboro has rap?

Yeah? A lot of towns, especially larger ones, have their fair share of local rap.

AllSmiles

Quote from: razorback5 on February 05, 2008, 08:16:14 pm
Jonesboro has rap?

Yeah? A lot of towns, especially larger ones, have their fair share of local rap.

I've never heard any of it.

mattp_68

Jonesboro has rap?

SB's! "Who it be? Shirt Swangaz, fitted hat bangaz, n when we hit the town, lane to lane changeaz"

razorback5

Quote from: Coach P on February 05, 2008, 08:53:18 pm
Jonesboro has rap?

SB's! "Who it be? Shirt Swangaz, fitted hat bangaz, n when we hit the town, lane to lane changeaz"

Where we from? We from da A boy, you know that we don't play boy...

mattp_68

Quote from: razorback5 on February 05, 2008, 09:19:51 pm
Jonesboro has rap?

We NAT-U-RAL, represent this natural state boy

atownpantherfan05™

February 06, 2008, 01:01:29 am #22 Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 01:07:58 am by atownpanther05
My favorite is UGK,Lil Wayne,Kayne West,Chamillionaire,Common,Lil'Flip (the best freestyler ever),Three Six Mafia,Project Pat,Lil Whyte and all the other music is the same like soulija boy "Crank Dat" everyone is making a song out of it and it's starting to get really old. and don't forget about nashville's local singer southside reggie.

Chosen 1

The whole Hypnotized minds out of Memphis (Three 6, Project Pat, Lil Wyte, Chrome, etc) is my favorite... The underground stuff is the best, several of the new mainstream songs are remixes from 15 years ago of the underground stuff..

The Three-6 being mainstream comment was off because they've only been mainstream for 2 years out of around 18 years

AllSmiles

Quote from: Coach P on February 05, 2008, 10:02:31 pm
Quote from: razorback5 on February 05, 2008, 09:19:51 pm
Jonesboro has rap?

We NAT-U-RAL, represent this natural state boy

Well I'm from West Memphis. All I know is the local rap from Memphis (All of Hypnotized Minds) and a local group from my hometown.

The Reality is back...

Jonesboro has rap?

Shoooooots, son, Dardanelle has rap! D Town Thrillaz!

Hurricane

February 06, 2008, 10:36:56 pm #26 Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:39:32 pm by Hurricane
A song can be perfect. The words in perfect harmony with the music, the music in perfect harmony with the emotion. I do not see a boundary on anything I would consider "good" or "bad just because it is a different genre or language.

I'm not saying that I like every song no matter what. You can have bad musicians doing bad songs, which is the worst.

tRuTh..44...

Whoa..nobody listens to Jay-Z here?

The Reality is back...

Quote from: tRuTh..44... on February 07, 2008, 06:57:19 pm

I do.

You havin girl problems? I feel bad for you son. I gots 99 problems but a ***** ain't one. HIT ME!

I got the rap control....etc.

Juice-Man

GARBAGE!!  The only east coast rapper worth anything is Nas.

Hurricane

Quote from: Juice Man on February 08, 2008, 01:07:21 pm

Biggie, 50 Cent

The Reality is back...

Quote from: Hurricane on February 08, 2008, 11:11:51 pm

Biggie, 50 Cent

Biggie=Good

50=terrible, except for his first album, which was above average.

Hurricane

Sean Kingston is a new face in hip hop and I like his new joint "take you there"

razorback5

Agreed.

+1

tRuTh..44...

I like Nas too..but how can u be so sick to not like Jay?

The Reality is back...

Quote from: tRuTh..44... on February 09, 2008, 02:53:29 pm
I like Nas too..but how can u be so sick to not like Jay?

Agree.

AllSmiles

"If you havin' girl problems, I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems, but a b*tch ain't one!"

Coach Runyan

Jay's deal is that he has put out so much work. He might have one good song out of every five on an album.

I think his classics (Big Pimpin, Encore, Money Ain't a Thing) are great.

However, MANY other artists put out more solid records where a larger percentage of the songs are good songs.

tRuTh..44...

Quote from: Bill Bethea on February 10, 2008, 07:45:14 pm
Jay's deal is that he has put out so much work. He might have one good song out of every five on an album.

However, MANY other artists put out more solid records where a larger percentage of the songs are good songs.

Whoa..I wouldn't say "many"..but watever...

Coach Runyan

Rick Ross is putting out more consistent albums, and no disrespect, but how big is he in the scope of hip hop?

Pac, Weezy, BIG, T.I.... all of those guys have put out albums with 1/2 of the songs being bangers.

SandLizard04

Quote from: Stupidity Vampire AKA Ignorance Ingestor on February 06, 2008, 01:59:48 pm
Jonesboro has rap?

I still have their demo CD. It will be worth something someday. Maybe.

Juice-Man

Very true.  But my problem with Jay-Z is that he claims to be from the Marcy projects and never talks about anything real.  His lyrics are garbage.  Nas killed him in "Ether" and Jay didn't have the b@lls or enough lyrical adversity to challenge him.  Jay-Z has never really been underground either.  Always mainstream bullcrap with mediocre producing and less than mediocre lyrics.

tRuTh..44...

Quote from: Juice Man on February 10, 2008, 09:53:44 pm

Very true.  But my problem with Jay-Z is that he claims to be from the Marcy projects and never talks about anything real.  His lyrics are garbage.  Nas killed him in "Ether" and Jay didn't have the b@lls or enough lyrical adversity to challenge him.  Jay-Z has never really been underground either.  Always mainstream bullcrap with mediocre producing and less than mediocre lyrics.

Man..u can't say that about Hov..first off..he does talk about reel stuff..maybe u don't listen close enuff.."Do u listen to the music or just skim through it?"(Jay quote)..and if his lyrics was so garbage..then y has he sold all these albums? We talkin' bout da same dude that did the Blueprint in a week or so and got 5 mic's from The Source and it hit number one..I ain't gon lie..I'ma keep it reel wit yall..Hov slacked on Kingdom Come..the flow waz there but the songs wasn't..and American Gangster waz about the same..but yall talkin' like Hov ain't help change da face of hip hop..and who cares if Nas killed him on Ether? I bet Jay had the better career..not anything against Nas cuz I like Nas..I'm jus sayin'...

Romeo

Quote from: Juice Man on February 10, 2008, 09:53:44 pm<br />
Quote from: Bill Bethea on February 10, 2008, 07:45:14 pm<br />Jay's deal is that he has put out so much work. He might have one good song out of every five on an album. <br /><br />I think his classics (Big Pimpin, Encore, Money Ain't a Thing) are great.<br /><br />However, MANY other artists put out more solid records where a larger percentage of the songs are good songs.<br />
<br />Very true.  But my problem with Jay-Z is that he claims to be from the Marcy projects and never talks about anything real.  His lyrics are garbage.  Nas killed him in "Ether" and Jay didn't have the b@lls or enough lyrical adversity to challenge him.  Jay-Z has never really been underground either.  Always mainstream bullcrap with mediocre producing and less than mediocre lyrics.<br />

I don't think you ever listened to a jay-z album. otherwise, you would never list encore, big pimpin, and money aint a thang as classics, (two of those songs were collaborated by down south artists). Coming from the east coast, I know for a fact that hova is an underground legend in the streets of new york. As similar to artists from the south, east coast rappers start out in the underground before they make a scene. As far as Jay-z being lyrically garbage, chances are your favorite rappers, favorite rapper is Jay-Z. Just as truth 44 pointed out, he's lyrical enough to point out that most southern rap fans don't generally listen to the content, but just skim through it. Please listen to reasonable doubt, hova's first album, then try to make that same account. Jay-Z also murdered nas in "takeover" and superugly".

The Reality is back...

Quote from: Romeo on February 11, 2008, 01:00:10 am
Quote from: Juice Man on February 10, 2008, 09:53:44 pm<br />
Quote from: Bill Bethea on February 10, 2008, 07:45:14 pm<br />Jay's deal is that he has put out so much work. He might have one good song out of every five on an album. <br /><br />I think his classics (Big Pimpin, Encore, Money Ain't a Thing) are great.<br /><br />However, MANY other artists put out more solid records where a larger percentage of the songs are good songs.<br />
<br />Very true.  But my problem with Jay-Z is that he claims to be from the Marcy projects and never talks about anything real.  His lyrics are garbage.  Nas killed him in "Ether" and Jay didn't have the b@lls or enough lyrical adversity to challenge him.  Jay-Z has never really been underground either.  Always mainstream bullcrap with mediocre producing and less than mediocre lyrics.<br />

I don't think you ever listened to a jay-z album. otherwise, you would never list encore, big pimpin, and money aint a thang as classics, (two of those songs were collaborated by down south artists). Coming from the east coast, I know for a fact that hova is an underground legend in the streets of new york. As similar to artists from the south, east coast rappers start out in the underground before they make a scene. As far as Jay-z being lyrically garbage, chances are your favorite rappers, favorite rapper is Jay-Z. Just as truth 44 pointed out, he's lyrical enough to point out that most southern rap fans don't generally listen to the content, but just skim through it. Please listen to reasonable doubt, hova's first album, then try to make that same account. Jay-Z also murdered nas in "takeover" and superugly".

NIIIICE post.

Jay-Z is a lyrical machine.

Ludacris has the best flow of mainstream rappers, in my opinion.

The Reality is back...

Quote from: Ramblin' Man™ on February 10, 2008, 09:51:38 pm
Quote from: Stupidity Vampire AKA Ignorance Ingestor on February 06, 2008, 01:59:48 pm
Jonesboro has rap?

I still have their demo CD. It will be worth something someday. Maybe.

Probably not, but it's on my iPod.

Romeo

There is a reason why no Arkansas rappers have blown up into the mainstream. Its not because they live in Arkansas, but they ALL rap the same way, with the same content. There's more to say in lyrics than just "ridin on 22's". There is some good talent in the state such as Arkansas Bo, Big drew, and lil rok.

Hurricane

Quote from: Romeo on February 11, 2008, 08:50:28 am
There is a reason why no Arkansas rappers have blown up into the mainstream. Its not because they live in Arkansas, but they ALL rap the same way, with the same content. There's more to say in lyrics than just "ridin on 22's". There is some good talent in the state such as Arkansas Bo, Big drew, and lil rok.

It's more about looks and personality :D

The Reality is back...

Quote from: Hurricane on February 11, 2008, 10:53:03 am

lol, then explain Mike Jones AKA Ugliest Dude on TV.

Hurricane

Quote from: Stupidity Vampire AKA Ignorance Ingestor on February 11, 2008, 12:44:18 pm
Quote from: Hurricane on February 11, 2008, 10:53:03 am

lol, then explain Mike Jones AKA Ugliest Dude on TV.

He had a few good songs....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas