• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some Pre-Mature Predictions for Next Season

Started by BigGuy22, March 15, 2018, 10:31:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigGuy22

This is super early to be talking about it but whats everyone's stance on next years teams. What team is losing what players! I know Pea Ridge is returning 3 starters, and 3 kids that played significant minutes. I think Nick Coble, Mikey Mahoney, Carson Rhine, and Landon Allison could make a deep run next year. Especially with one of the best coaches in the 4A

Bbal789

JessieP

Quote from: Bbal789 on March 15, 2018, 01:01:46 pm
Mills

Mills? Are you feeling ok? Should we call for help? Are you seeing bright spots or hearing loud noises? I was expecting your next year Top 5 to be:

1) Southside
2) Southside
3) The 7A, 6A, 5A and 4A All-Stars
4) Southside Jr High
5) Southside Cheerleaders

LRRandy

Quote from: JessieP on March 15, 2018, 01:47:36 pm
Mills? Are you feeling ok? Should we call for help? Are you seeing bright spots or hearing loud noises? I was expecting your next year Top 5 to be:

1) Southside
2) Southside
3) The 7A, 6A, 5A and 4A All-Stars
4) Southside Jr High
5) Southside Cheerleaders
wasn't the big guy a foreign exchange student that has to go back?

JessieP

Quote from: LRRandy on March 15, 2018, 06:21:32 pm
what is ICC?

Izard County Consolidated. It's a small school about 40 miles north of Batesville. A basketball powerhouse that has produced a surprising number of college players. They were state runner-ups this year and usually make the final 4.

LRRandy

Quote from: JessieP on March 15, 2018, 06:27:09 pm
Izard County Consolidated. It's a small school about 40 miles north of Batesville. A basketball powerhouse that has produced a surprising number of college players. They were state runner-ups this year and usually make the final 4.
is that a 2A school?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: LRRandy on March 15, 2018, 06:30:41 pm
is that a 2A school?

1a.... They'll return all 5 starters plus like top 3 off the bench... Caleb Faulkner and Justus Cooper should both be D2 maybe low low D1 prospects by their senior years..

JessieP

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 15, 2018, 07:38:18 pm
1a.... They'll return all 5 starters plus like top 3 off the bench... Caleb Faulkner and Justus Cooper should both be D2 maybe low low D1 prospects by their senior years..

For a small school they are very impressive.

LRRandy

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 15, 2018, 07:38:18 pm
so a kid is going to leave a 4a final four team to play 1a basketball to chase a ring?

JessieP

Quote from: LRRandy on March 15, 2018, 08:49:36 pm
so a kid is going to leave a 4a final four team to play 1a basketball to chase a ring?

It's more than that. ICC has a very respected basketball program. He'll get more coaching and visibility at ICC. In basketball going from 4A to 5A, slight difference. Going from 5A to 6A, bigger difference. 6A to 7A, big difference. Going from 4A to 7A, massive difference. Not saying the great 4A players wouldn't be great at 7A it's just the overall rosters and athletes are better. Much better teams. Going in reverse, from 4A to 1A isn't that wide a gully. Small schools are more closely matched in basketball. The coaching matters much more. It's simple math, if you have 2,000 to draw from you'll get more athletes. If you have 200 to draw from you'd better have great coaching.

bballfan1

Quote from: JessieP on March 15, 2018, 02:02:58 pm
Mind you this is hearsay, although Batesville is a small town, but from people that know SS. They say he will age out (19) early next year. They also say Brogdon will transfer to ICC, a smart move for both him and ICC. He will be able to flourish under that coach and ICC will be a clear favorite to win state. Now this is not hearsay, I was told this in person by a coach at a small Central Arkansas College. He would love to have the big guy but he can't touch him because of his failing grades. It has nothing to do with the kid himself, it's a language issue. How SS kept him eligible would be a mystery anywhere else but SS. I guess SS offers ESL courses in Slavic for Batesville's massive Eastern European population.
Your obvious hatred toward SS is evident.  It is on EVERY obsessed post you make about this program and the kids in it.  I'm not sure how this site can allow such a classless statement like this one.  You must live a pretty boring life and don't have a woman around if you spend this much time on this website.  You are poking at a GREAT kid that you obviously know NOTHING about.

TTownfan

Quote from: JessieP on March 15, 2018, 09:34:33 pm
It's more than that. ICC has a very respected basketball program. He'll get more coaching and visibility at ICC. In basketball going from 4A to 5A, slight difference. Going from 5A to 6A, bigger difference. 6A to 7A, big difference. Going from 4A to 7A, massive difference. Not saying the great 4A players wouldn't be great at 7A it's just the overall rosters and athletes are better. Much better teams. Going in reverse, from 4A to 1A isn't that wide a gully. Small schools are more closely matched in basketball. The coaching matters much more. It's simple math, if you have 2,000 to draw from you'll get more athletes. If you have 200 to draw from you'd better have great coaching.

I was with you right up until you posted "It's more than that."  It's all about chasing a ring. Big Daddy would sacrifice a body part if it meant a ring for Jr.

JessieP

Quote from: Outoftownfan on March 16, 2018, 03:55:33 pm
I was with you right up until you posted "It's more than that."  It's all about chasing a ring. Big Daddy would sacrifice a body part if it meant a ring for Jr.

If he is going to ICC they will be a runaway favorite to win a title. He is being wasted at SS. There is no question he can play but he isn't allowed to flourish where he is. Did you see the video of the last 30 seconds of the game vs. Westside? You're fighting for your life, a trip to the finals are right there. That defense let Felts run around like he was Usain Bolt. I'm surprised the SS players didn't smack him on the behind as he ran unaccosted to the hoop for the game winning LAYUP! You lose on a three pointer, You lose on a half court prayer. Heck, you even lose at the line because you were guarding the hoop. You don't lose on an easy layup. I can't see BP, Westside or ICC losing that way.

TTownfan

Quote from: JessieP on March 16, 2018, 04:20:36 pm
If he is going to ICC they will be a runaway favorite to win a title. He is being wasted at SS. There is no question he can play but he isn't allowed to flourish where he is. Did you see the video of the last 30 seconds of the game vs. Westside? You're fighting for your life, a trip to the finals are right there. That defense let Felts run around like he was Usain Bolt. I'm surprised the SS players didn't smack him on the behind as he ran unaccosted to the hoop for the game winning LAYUP! You lose on a three pointer, You lose on a half court prayer. Heck, you even lose at the line because you were guarding the hoop. You don't lose on an easy layup. I can't see BP, Westside or ICC losing that way.

I saw the video. It was Brogdon that Felts blew by for the game winning layup. Specifically, how is he not allowed to flourish?  Bottom line is he's a good player but not a great one. He can't come close to leading SS to a championship without the big guy. He will be a good compliment to Cooper and Faulkner and should finally get his ring. Not the way I'd like to see it done but to some the end justifies the means.

JessieP

Quote from: Outoftownfan on March 16, 2018, 05:27:30 pm
I saw the video. It was Brogdon that Felts blew by for the game winning layup. Specifically, how is he not allowed to flourish?  Bottom line is he's a good player but not a great one. He can't come close to leading SS to a championship without the big guy. He will be a good compliment to Cooper and Faulkner and should finally get his ring. Not the way I'd like to see it done but to some the end justifies the means.

In my opinion it's a coaching issue. If SS walks the ball up the court and feeds it to the 2 big men they counter Felts dominating game. They chose to jack up 3's most of the game. The way felts was playing you tell the team "make him beat us from outside 15 feet". When he starts to drive foul him outside. If he hits 2 free throws you have a few seconds to tie or win it. You don't let the guy who had owned you all game have the ball and a chance to end the game. You foul the worst FT shooting player on the court with 20 seconds, it's high pressure time with High School kids. Odds are he misses one. You feed Brogdon down low, high chance he scores and maybe gets a "and 1". You never ever ever put the ball in the hands of a player like felts tied with 20 seconds. They hadn't stopped him all game, why would they then? And I feel that on the right team with the right system Brogdon is a scholarship player.

STUNNA

Not sure if they are good enough to win it. But I believe Warren returns all 5 starters.

JessieP

Quote from: bballfan1 on March 16, 2018, 08:55:43 am
Your obvious hatred toward SS is evident.  It is on EVERY obsessed post you make about this program and the kids in it.  I'm not sure how this site can allow such a classless statement like this one.  You must live a pretty boring life and don't have a woman around if you spend this much time on this website.  You are poking at a GREAT kid that you obviously know NOTHING about.

Poking? By saying there is a language issue that's poking? Not much in the thinking area going on for you is there? I saw where you once commented that Bald Knob lost, you were LYBO. Oh mercy me! Run for the hills Ma Barker, he's hurling vicious mean insults at the kids. How can this site allow such cruelty? Simpleton.

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: JessieP on March 17, 2018, 09:50:26 am
Poking? By saying there is a language issue that's poking? Not much in the thinking area going on for you is there? I saw where you once commented that Bald Knob lost, you were LYBO. Oh mercy me! Run for the hills Ma Barker, he's hurling vicious mean insults at the kids. How can this site allow such cruelty? Simpleton.
There are a few drama queens here.

Gray lizard

I think Pottsville will field a good team next year.  They return three of their bigger boys and could have a couple contributors move up from last years Jr high team.  Still a long ways off.

Baller91

Quote from: BigGuy22 on March 28, 2018, 01:22:23 pm
This is a basketball thread. I don't think Pea Ridge plays Harrison in Basketball this year
Harrison moves into the 4A-1 next season

Googlymoogly

Quote from: Baller91 on March 28, 2018, 09:07:59 pm
Harrison moves into the 4A-1 next season
Yeah this is what a lot of people are forgetting. Harrison and LR Mills will be in 4A next season.

BigGuy22

Pea Ridge will easily win the State title next year. So much skill is returning and they have a great coach to bring them all the way to the Championship

godeep

Forrest City drops down also. Rebuilt squad after winning two titles in three years.     

Informant

Quote from: BigGuy22 on April 30, 2018, 12:59:52 pm
Pea Ridge will easily win the State title next year. So much skill is returning and they have a great coach to bring them all the way to the Championship

Pea Ridge... Umm easily? Not saying they won't... but they won't. Mills will be 4A next season. Westside returns all but 2 players.  Batesville Southside (as of today) returns most everyone. Little Rock McClellan will also be there. Star City now has Johnny Taylor and returns several pieces. Warren will have a solid team. Did I mention Mills would be 4A also? The East region will be brutal.  Mill wills win that also. 

BigGuy22

And the players that aren't returning from Southside and Westside are some of the most significant players on those teams. Warren will be pretty good, I don't see what all the hype is with Mills tho

HowYouDoin?

Mills was just one of the best teams in State overall this year and they are dropping down a classification. You're right though, no big deal at all...

BigGuy22

Several off the better schools in the 4A, Westside, Baptist, Southside, Pea Ridge, Pottsville, as long as others could compete for the 5A state title. There isn't a huge skill gap between the 4A and 5A

NWA Hawg

Quote from: BigGuy22 on May 03, 2018, 08:34:37 am
Several off the better schools in the 4A, Westside, Baptist, Southside, Pea Ridge, Pottsville, as long as others could compete for the 5A state title. There isn't a huge skill gap between the 4A and 5A

I'll give you baptist but i don't see the others competing with mills and parkview.

Informant

Westside is losing 2.  The older Felkins and the big kid.  Avery Felts is a division 1 athlete and Riley Felkins is right there with him.  They'll be in the mix for sure.  Brogdon from SS is going to Pulaski Academy and the Patterson kid is going to Harding Academy.  Southside will not factor into the 4A.

With all that said, Little Rock Mills will dominate everyone in 4A.

Livewire

I've been hearing all year that Brogdan was going to ICC. Now Pulaski Academy? What gives?

beach bum

May 06, 2018, 09:24:50 pm #30 Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:39:01 pm by beach bum

5A has way better athleticism and physicality though which shows up on the defensive side of the ball especially which leads to a lot more turnovers created. It also shows up in a team's ability to get more easy baskets in the paint either in the post or on the drive finishing at the basket on offense ... I actually think 4A to 5A is where we see the largest jump from one classification to the next in the athletes and physical play. You're completely undermining that part of the game. I got by as a pretty decent player in 4A at 5'11" and 145 lbs, but would have been eaten alive by the really good defensive teams if we played 5A then with my lack of physicality. Baptist was the only team in 4A last season who would have competed well at all in the 5A state tournament last year.

JessieP

What ? Is this one of those internet hoaxes ? The general consensus is that the biggest jump in quality of players is from 4A to 5A. True, the top 2 or 3 4A teams would be competitive but they would be hard pressed to survive the rigors of a week in/week out 5A schedule. 

Razorhummer

Southside will be losing 2 starters. Patterson and Brogdon are heading to Pulaski Academy. I hate to see them 2 go and wish them the best of luck. Southside will still be good since they had some 10th graders that stepped up last season and also got several freshmen talent playing next season.

scrapdig

LOL ok do you actually think they could beat Mills or Baptist?  Mills would mercy rule them. 

pridgehog

Pea Ridge has some really good core players coming back. I think we will be really good once again. Next years Senior Class will have been a part of more winning than any other Pea Ridge Class.

BigLion10

Anybody mentioned other than Mills or BP is ridiculous

Eagle20

Big Prof.91

Not only is BP going to be 3a, the coach left and took the LR Central job.

RamblinRazorWreck

June 13, 2018, 11:54:07 am #38 Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:12:48 pm by RamblinRazorWreck
Quote from: Big Prof.91 on June 11, 2018, 12:33:46 pm
Not only is BP going to be 3a, the coach left and took the LR Central job.

Coach Ross left with 3 State Championships.  Coach Miller (who Coached Coach Ross) has moved back into his old spot (from AD) and also has 3 State Championships (and his name on the court).  BP will not be as big this year or as experienced, but they will still be very, very tough.  3 of their top 6 players from last season are back and they have several really good shooters coming up from JV & JR High.  The big question mark will be the defense.  They were one of the best defensive teams in the State (at any Classification) the last 3 years.

Informant

Quote from: RamblinRazorWreck on June 13, 2018, 11:54:07 am
Coach Ross left with 3 State Championships.  Coach Miller (who Coached Coach Ross) has moved back into his old spot (from AD) and also has 3 State Championships (and his name on the court).  BP will not be as big this year or as experienced, but they will still be very, very tough.  3 of their top 6 players from last season are back and they have several really good shooters coming up from JV & JR High.  They big question mark will be the defense.  They were one of the best defensive teams in the State (at any Classification) the last 3 years.

I assume they still have McBride...

He was the best player in 4A this past season... now he's the best player in 3A.  Expect BP to be there at the end. 

RamblinRazorWreck

Quote from: Informant on June 13, 2018, 12:04:11 pm
I assume they still have McBride...

He was the best player in 4A this past season... now he's the best player in 3A.  Expect BP to be there at the end.

Issac has been practicing with the team when he is not out of town with the JJ Hawks.

Informant

Quote from: RamblinRazorWreck on June 13, 2018, 12:28:27 pm

Issac has been practicing with the team when he is not out of town with the JJ Hawks.

So I would assume he'll be with them this year...

He might be the best player state wide.  Does anyone know who is?

FromTheBench

I would have to say Moody from NLR

Quote from: Informant on June 13, 2018, 03:04:59 pm
So I would assume he'll be with them this year...

He might be the best player state wide.  Does anyone know who is?

Charlie1001

Quote from: pridgehog on May 29, 2018, 08:53:20 am
Pea Ridge has some really good core players coming back. I think we will be really good once again. Next years Senior Class will have been a part of more winning than any other Pea Ridge Class.
I was in Springdale watching a family friend play this past weekend and watched some of the Pea Ridge guys playing together.  There wasn't but 3 or 4 that I remember playing last year but I know the PG and Mahoney weren't there for sure.  They had their 2 junior bigs there that are supposed to make an impact this year and the Allison kid scored about 40 in one game. Coble was hitting 3's from 12' behind the arc and dunked in traffic a few times. I will say they all looked lost outside of Loyd's system and playing on a team with other kids.  I don't see them winning it all but they have as much or more talent than they did two years ago.

wait4it

What about any team in the southern part of the state making a run for a title?

Neckred

Quote from: beach bum on May 06, 2018, 09:24:50 pm
5A has way better athleticism and physicality though which shows up on the defensive side of the ball especially which leads to a lot more turnovers created. It also shows up in a team's ability to get more easy baskets in the paint either in the post or on the drive finishing at the basket on offense ... I actually think 4A to 5A is where we see the largest jump from one classification to the next in the athletes and physical play. You're completely undermining that part of the game. I got by as a pretty decent player in 4A at 5'11" and 145 lbs, but would have been eaten alive by the really good defensive teams if we played 5A then with my lack of physicality. Baptist was the only team in 4A last season who would have competed well at all in the 5A state tournament last year.
Very true

Neckred

Quote from: Charlie1001 on July 04, 2018, 04:07:52 pm
I was in Springdale watching a family friend play this past weekend and watched some of the Pea Ridge guys playing together.  There wasn't but 3 or 4 that I remember playing last year but I know the PG and Mahoney weren't there for sure.  They had their 2 junior bigs there that are supposed to make an impact this year and the Allison kid scored about 40 in one game. Coble was hitting 3's from 12' behind the arc and dunked in traffic a few times. I will say they all looked lost outside of Loyd's system and playing on a team with other kids.  I don't see them winning it all but they have as much or more talent than they did two years ago.
Loyd?  Is he the one who calls a play every time down the court?

pridgehog

Quote from: Neckred on August 13, 2018, 09:25:15 am
Loyd?  Is he the one who calls a play every time down the court?
He's the one who took his team to the State Finals two years ago and back to the quarter Finals last year.

Neckred

Quote from: pridgehog on August 13, 2018, 12:45:16 pm
He's the one who took his team to the State Finals two years ago and back to the quarter Finals last year.
And was one point away from getting bounced in the first round?  Gonna need some more miracle transfers from Farmington to get back to the finals??

springdalesmitty

August 14, 2018, 09:43:20 am #49 Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:48:47 am by springdalesmitty
Quote from: Neckred on August 13, 2018, 01:57:49 pm
And was one point away from getting bounced in the first round?  Gonna need some more miracle transfers from Farmington to get back to the finals??
I went to the Regional and that Pea Ridge team was legit. They lost their All State Post Player in the First round of Regional's and still went all the way to the finals of State and gave Baptist Prep all they wanted.  As a matter of fact, they also had one of their best players who didn't play half the year and tore his ACL the summer before. Not sure how anyone could throw shade at that group of kids.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas