• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alma at Harrison 2017

Started by Paw-Paw, October 14, 2017, 12:27:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

P.F.G.

Go Postal

October 20, 2017, 09:48:16 pm #51 Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:26:06 am by Go Postal
unofficial stats:

Airedale QB went 13 of 21 for 139 passing yds.  They went 229 rushing yds for a total of 368 offensive yds.

Goblin QB went 10 of 14 for 205 passing yds with Goblin RB went 1 of 1 for 50 passing yds making 255 total passing yds.  They went 250 rushing yds for a total of 505 offensive yds.

368 + 505 = 873 total offensive yds.  That Alexander kid really made the difference in the second half for Alma.  Great game by both teams tonight.

Paw-Paw

This was an absolute crazy game. It wasn't a shootout in regards to these spread offenses, but rather a defensive battle on who could get timely stops. The difference was the second-half with Alma defense shutting them out up until the late moments in the fourth quarter.

Well played game by both teams. Currently making the pilgrimage back to Alma so best wishes and prayers for safe travel.

InYoGrill

Congrats Dales on a good win. Gobs keep your heads up. You got a good team this year. Wish we could take 5 teams into the playoffs. What a wild and crazy season in conference this year. So many teams playing good ball, not dominant but steady for some great competitive games. Even Clarksville seems to be playing close lately. Too bad for my Veagles this year. Not a good year to say the least.

Deuceswild

Well Postal is quite the history buff, but I gotta question his math skills, how many total yards did Alma have?
Nice job by Alma to adjust in the second half. I didn't see them shutting us down like that, but they did. Kids played hard on both sides and pulled out some fun plays to watch. I don't think there was a piece of turf that didn't get touched tonight, both teams brought out everything. After losing to Alma hard 2 years in a row and knowing they stopped us the entire 2nd half til late, I too would have went for 2. Our kids were tired on Defense, so all we could do is try to end it with a gamble.

Go Postal

Goblin22

I enjoyed reading this thread. I noticed this game came down to a 2 pt conversion. It is amazing to me how important 2 pt conversions are during the course of the season (along with field goals). I have watched several games this year be decided by the importance of the 2 pt conversion (and plenty of short yardage conversions that were NEEDED)

When I played, we had trick plays for it. My favorite was the swinging gate and I don't know why more teams don't use it for crucial 2 pt conversions.  If I was a head coach I would devote time to it or some other trick play on the 2pt conversion or even a 4th down situation when you need that first down.

If a team springs a swinging gate out of nowhere, what is the defense going to do? Most will call timeout. What if they don't have a timeout? They are screwed. Plus it is nice to force them to call a timeout. I would say that 9-10 times the swinging gate trick will work because the D will have NO clue how to defend it and the simple swinging gate has 3 easy reads and is easy to run. Yes it has to be practiced, but it works.  The prime time to use it is late in games too. U don't want to show it early. Use it when you need it. Prime example appears to be in the Harrison game last night.

I saw a good college team run it this year. They actually ran it EVERY time on 2 pt conversions. They would line up in it, and if defense didn't make an adjustment, they ran it. If the defense made an adjustment, they went to plan b which was their normal conversion play. I don't think hs teams need to be that complicated. I think they can just practice it and use it when they need it like last night.

Now for all I know, Harrison might have run it last night or some other trick play. Arkansas did not run the swinging gate last year but I was proud to see them run a trick play late in the game that worked. They did some kind of reverse play,. Haven't seen them run it since though. 

Oh well, I read that scoring thread and thought about that. Just some thoughts from an EX TICE player :) The GATE is hard to defend and imho kids like the tricky stuff. Might be a fun motivating play to put in late in the season that kids would like and would motivate. Spooky stuff. LOL.

AT

Haha it's funny that you say that Goblin because Clarksville tried the swinging gate last week when they were trying to tie it up and Alma, who used to run it quite often on extra points, knew exactly how to defend it. But it would have been interesting if they had done it.

Goblin22

Paw-Paw

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 21, 2017, 12:32:34 pm
Haha it's funny that you say that Goblin because Clarksville tried the swinging gate last week when they were trying to tie it up and Alma, who used to run it quite often on extra points, knew exactly how to defend it. But it would have been interesting if they had done it.

Luckily for us we have a All-State Linebacker that is our QB and the staff put him in on that series as well as the one against Harrison last night!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas