• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Huge games, early weeks

Started by BannerChaser95, October 11, 2017, 03:17:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerChaser95

Quote from: SackAttack on October 13, 2017, 12:39:33 pm
So you are comparing D1 basketball to class 1A in Arkansas  ::) ::) ::). Nice try dude nice try
Is there never any upsets. Yay or nay? The point isn't D1 and 1A. Upsets happen and that's fun. If you're not a fan of 4vs 1 games. Stay at the house till Friday.

SackAttack

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on October 13, 2017, 12:44:36 pm
Is there never any upsets. Yay or nay? The point isn't D1 and 1A. Upsets happen and that's fun. If you're not a fan of 4vs 1 games. Stay at the house till Friday.
Not a chance on that. I use that time to form in depth opinions and viewpoints in talking to the locals. In other words I do what I do if you know what I mean! Might have to drive south and take in a game or two this year where upsets almost never happen well because as bad as basketball is up here its even worse down there. Drive south where 1's are 1's 2's are 2's 3's are 3's and 4's are 4's and we play about two really good games a year! What part of that is wrong???

BannerMountainMan

Basketball is down everywhere, and yes Sack it's all because of these dang participation trophies, all parents think there kids are great so they don't think they need to work em hard!!

BannerChaser95

Quote from: SackAttack on October 13, 2017, 12:59:55 pm
Not a chance on that. I use that time to form in depth opinions and viewpoints in talking to the locals. In other words I do what I do if you know what I mean! Might have to drive south and take in a game or two this year where upsets almost never happen well because as bad as basketball is up here its even worse down there. Drive south where 1's are 1's 2's are 2's 3's are 3's and 4's are 4's and we play about two really good games a year! What part of that is wrong???
nailed it on the head.

HorseFeathers

Sack...I don't disagree with you. And talent is down, even compared to 10 years ago. I don't know what the problem is...a lot of folks your age(I'm assuming you are around 40ish from some of the references you make) blame x-box, playstation etc etc, but I think a lot of it goes back on parents. I've seen it in places I've worked, "kids" for the most part don't want to work, or be held accountable...and those coaches throwing games for a better draw(as implied, to me anyway, in your post) are in the wrong business if you ask me....but what do I know? My wife would probably say I don't know a whole lot ::)

Backboard Shattered

I def thought feathers from a horse wouldn't disagree with the attacker of sacks!  Just the name alone strikes men into straight fear!  I'm proud to say that when I played we were known as the best ever.  Great discussion fellas!  Cover up, here comes attack of the sack

SackAttack

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 13, 2017, 02:26:14 pm
Sack...I don't disagree with you. And talent is down, even compared to 10 years ago. I don't know what the problem is...a lot of folks your age(I'm assuming you are around 40ish from some of the references you make) blame x-box, playstation etc etc, but I think a lot of it goes back on parents. I've seen it in places I've worked, "kids" for the most part don't want to work, or be held accountable...and those coaches throwing games for a better draw(as implied, to me anyway, in your post) are in the wrong business if you ask me....but what do I know? My wife would probably say I don't know a whole lot ::)
All that plus more I agree totally(gasp)!! 40ish thank you kind sir way too kind! yes Im old school aint gonna lie. System is flawed and its made kids and coaches lazy in my mind. yes they go to team camp 10-12 days a summer but little else. Zero and none player development and then listen to them complain because a kid cant dribble with his left hand or make a free throw. Im jaded Ill admit. I like good hard nosed basketball where the weaker teams are weeded out early. No reward for finishing third or fourth on my plate please. But the system is in place and it is here to stay but I dont have to like it one darn bit. All jokes aside the Boss wouldnt do it this way!!

ZacAttack

Quote from: SackAttack on October 13, 2017, 11:59:42 am
Coaches looking ahead in district to see where their better bracket placement might be. Happier with a third place regional finish than winning the thing. Makes this old purist sick to his stomach. Dont try to argue that last point either!! Overheard a coaches conversation last year to that exact point.
I would hate to think that a coach would intentionally lose a game to help his place in a tournament bracket.  Not saying it wasn't done, just what message are you sending to your team.  That's why I wish someone (and this is WAY BEYOND AAA skill) could come up with a good way to seed the teams once they reach the state tourney.  That would take the sandbagging out of play.

SackAttack

Quote from: ZacAttack on October 13, 2017, 05:42:40 pm
I would hate to think that a coach would intentionally lose a game to help his place in a tournament bracket.  Not saying it wasn't done, just what message are you sending to your team.  That's why I wish someone (and this is WAY BEYOND AAA skill) could come up with a good way to seed the teams once they reach the state tourney.  That would take the sandbagging out of play.
Well it does happen and quite regularly. The conversation I overheard went like this---Coach 1- Good job coach kids played hard! Coach 2- oh I guess so Im not gonna get too worked over it I still think we have the better team.Coach1 I agree but gotta wonder how your kids will respond.Coach 2--Oh we had already talked about how we set ourselves up better next week.Coach 1--Hows that? coach 2 well it puts so and so and so  andso on the opposite side of the bracket. We get the 2 seed from the SW and then probably the 3 from the NE. I laughed a little to myself and thought thanks for contributing to the demise of high school athletics in its intent and purpose. You are exactly the type of coach regardless of your record that I DO NOT want my children playing for! How are they better prepared for the real world having played for you. I like the idea of seeding them after regionals but it would never work!!

ZacAttack

Quote from: SackAttack on October 13, 2017, 07:24:41 pm
I like the idea of seeding them after regionals but it would never work!!
MaxPreps got it pretty close in Class 1A.  Guy-Perkins and Shirley met in the finals.  Nevada, Kirby, and ICC rounded out the top 5.  I believe almost ANYTHING would be better than the current system for the state tourney.

BasketballNeverStops

In Benefit Action

West Side Sr. Girls over Bee Branch 46-34
West Side Sr. Boys over Bee Branch 51-38

thebigman3

Quote from: SackAttack on October 13, 2017, 12:39:33 pm
So you are comparing D1 basketball to class 1A in Arkansas  ::) ::) ::). Nice try dude nice try
I see what he is saying though.. I like the expansion honestly, cause some teams don't show up till the tournament and surprise everyone.

SackAttack

Quote from: thebigman3 on October 16, 2017, 09:22:13 am
I see what he is saying though.. I like the expansion honestly, cause some teams don't show up till the tournament and surprise everyone.
OK who has done that in the last 5-10 years?? In my experience the only surprises at the Class A tournament is whether or not the cheese on the nachos is actually warm or not!

BannerMountainMan

Anybody know where Thechosen1 is at??

ZacAttack

Quote from: SackAttack on October 16, 2017, 02:43:19 pm
OK who has done that in the last 5-10 years?? In my experience the only surprises at the Class A tournament is whether or not the cheese on the nachos is actually warm or not!
Shirley was a #3 in the state tourney, but they were coming out of what I believe to be the toughest region in the state.  Like the BigMan, I too favor the expanded playoff format.  The best teams eventually will battle their way to the top.

NWA Hawg

HorseFeathers

+1 that's 50% of the experience

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ZacAttack on October 13, 2017, 05:42:40 pm

FearlessFriday fan meeting...Moderated by Sackattack?

SackAttack

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 16, 2017, 05:50:12 pm
FearlessFriday fan meeting...Moderated by Sackattack?
Well Id love to but Im much too busy writing songs for my upcoming album. Plus the Boss has not given me his blessing Amen! EagleMom tribute song up next! And you are on the list HF. My abilities are in great demand!

Backboard Shattered

SackAttack

Backboard Shattered

thebigman3

Everybody thought Deer and Kirby were going to beat Shirley last year... Some were saying on here Those two teams could win it!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas