• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greenwood @ AHS

Started by Pr8hd, September 17, 2017, 10:58:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pr8hd

GW opens conference play with a 4hr trek down 71S at the improved Razorbacks. Both schools played down last week and handled their 5A counterparts. This one should be interesting esp. since GW follows at home next week with El Dorado.

The Future

Last week Alma surprises us and gave us a great game. Even though the score was big in Greenwoods favor, it was very close for the first 2 and a half quarters and Alma gave their all and made Greenwood really have to play when we expected a third easy peasy win.
Good thing too. We needed a good test for this as you said very improved Arkansas High team. I don't know if I would go as far as to say this is a trap game for Greenwood. But Texarkana could definitely play the dark horse in the conference. And if we don't play good football for all 4 quarters, we could find ourselves in a close one. Hope the 4 hour bus ride jitters are left on the bus.

As far as what I wanna see from this game, I'm gonna pull a bit from my "what I wanna see from the U of A" speech. Consistency. We know what we can do. We watched our guys great ball for the first quarter last week. Then we just kinda goofed for the second quarter. Then came back and played very good ball the rest of the game. That won't cut it come November and December ball. I want to see us play great ball the whole game.

I'm comfortable saying Greenwood wins by a couple scores though.

Hope and pray we can finish this game with little no no injuries or concerns. We will need our best next week for Eldo.

RD™

This is a trap game for Greenwood. Texarkana has improved confidence. They combine that with their pure athleticism. Definitely a worrisome game for Bulldogs.

rona

Dogs by minimum of 3 TDs. You are going

AHS06

I would feel more comfortable with El Dorado to open conference play.   Our kids play them every year starting in the 7th grade.   We're more familiar and it's a lil ole school rivalry.   

Greenwood comes in rolling as usual and this will only be our 2nd meeting.   We will be more athletic and have more speed which will go to our advantage.  We haven't produced much of a rushing attack this season and that is critical to hang with GW.  Our offense isn't prepared for a shootout.  If we are able to establish some drives in the first half and keep our defense off the field the game will be a toss up.   However,  if GW jump on us early it'll be a long night for the Hogs. 

Bigfootdogfan

I watched Arkansas High and Texas High on Friday night and looked to be a def. battle. If both GW and AH have great def, should be a low scoring game.

Almahasbeen

High Voltage

When the season started I thought this was an easy win. Not so much now.

Greenwood - 28
AHS - 14

Texarkana_Piggie

hogs fought tooth and nail for the game against texas high.  last week against cf, it wasn't as clean of a game.  we were sluggish and not as sharp.  cf moved the ball well against us, but we stopped them when necessary.  their points mostly came against reserves in the second half.  i think this game will be a true test of where we are this year.  the pg game could have been, but it was the first game of the season, at their place under a new coaching staff (mostly) and new system.  i think this game will be a truer test of out mettle. 

AHS06

Quote from: Bigfootdogfan on September 17, 2017, 10:27:25 pm
I watched Arkansas High and Texas High on Friday night and looked to be a def. battle. If both GW and AH have great def, should be a low scoring game.
I am still concerned with our secondary.  They really haven't been tested.  The front seven will hold strong as long as the offense is able to generate some first downs and put up around 21 points.

AHS06

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on September 18, 2017, 08:42:34 am
hogs fought tooth and nail for the game against texas high.  last week against cf, it wasn't as clean of a game.  we were sluggish and not as sharp.  cf moved the ball well against us, but we stopped them when necessary.  their points mostly came against reserves in the second half.  i think this game will be a true test of where we are this year.  the pg game could have been, but it was the first game of the season, at their place under a new coaching staff (mostly) and new system.  i think this game will be a truer test of out mettle.
We were very sloppy in that CF game and I am hoping it was just a hangover from the Texas game.  Texas High matched us with speed across the field and we kept them contained.  CF was not as fast but did have success moving the ball.

Maynard G Krebs

Wildcat Football

I do not expect any kind of upset here even with the long road travel for GW.  In fact, if it is not a mercy rule by half for GW, then I would give Ark High a moral victory.  I expect GW to score early and often, then you will see Ark High defense wind in their sails deflate quickly and the route will be on, as usual.  I would advise Ark High coaches to play man up on corner coverage with speed and try to pressure QB with DL quickness.  Even with that strategy, GW execution is too sound and their coaches will want to make a statement with first 6A conference game victory on the road.  We will find out how much Ark High has improved this game though, even with an expected route...final score 49-7 for the bulldogs.

rona

AHS06

Quote from: Wildcat Football on September 18, 2017, 11:08:33 am
I do not expect any kind of upset here even with the long road travel for GW.  In fact, if it is not a mercy rule by half for GW, then I would give Ark High a moral victory.  I expect GW to score early and often, then you will see Ark High defense wind in their sails deflate quickly and the route will be on, as usual.  I would advise Ark High coaches to play man up on corner coverage with speed and try to pressure QB with DL quickness.  Even with that strategy, GW execution is too sound and their coaches will want to make a statement with first 6A conference game victory on the road.  We will find out how much Ark High has improved this game though, even with an expected route...final score 49-7 for the bulldogs.
With that analysis El Dorado should save the district some money and forfeit next week.

Wildcat Football

Quote from: AHS06 on September 18, 2017, 01:52:03 pm
With that analysis El Dorado should save the district some money and forfeit next week.
Believe me when I say, "I hope I am dead wrong on the analysis...rooting for the Hogs to surprise the conference and south arkansas football fans!"

Texarkana_Piggie

i may have agreed with that score until i saw the second half of the pg game and the game with texas high. 

Pr8hd

September 18, 2017, 06:58:21 pm #17 Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:10:51 pm by Pr8hd

As a GW fan, I could live with that final score. but I really think you are not giving AHS enough credit for the new staff and playing at home. You are probably more familiar than me with AHS, but one has to respect what they have done to this point and not undervalue the meaning of the new coach in place. I know they have been hankering for this change for sometime and now, what better way to solidify that with a victory at home. I agree also with some others that this does set up somewhat as a trap game of sorts for GW, but Jones is a master typically at getting his guys ready to play no matter the distance. I like GW in this one, but I am just not sure if it will be the blowout predicted.

On the GW side, Noland and Holt have been a lethal combination on offense to this point. The use of Holt at this stage reminds me a bit like that of how we used Drew Morgan, only Holt doesn't also play defense like Drew did. GW defense has been solid except for some lapses in the secondary last week that they better buckle down tight this week. Run defense remains very solid. Regardless, if GW offense is clicking, AHS better be prepared to score some points to keep pace. GW scores in bunches, Alma last week (down 21-0 with like 6-7 minutes in first qtr) was able to weather that storm that many teams can't too often. Conversely, I haven't seen GW down all year so hard to gauge how they would react as well.

rona

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Wildcat Football on September 18, 2017, 02:29:23 pm
Believe me when I say, "I hope I am dead wrong on the analysis...rooting for the Hogs to surprise the conference and south arkansas football fans!"

Time will tell on Friday! 

Wildcat Football

Quote from: Pr8hd on September 17, 2017, 10:58:20 am
GW opens conference play with a 4hr trek down 71S at the improved Razorbacks. Both schools played down last week and handled their 5A counterparts. This one should be interesting esp. since GW follows at home next week with El Dorado.
GW v. ED...can't wait for that one next week!  This game will really tell us if anyone can touch GW this year since JB, PB are a little down this year from last year, and GW seems to have picked up a notch.  Keep a close eye on WM and Searcy as darkhorse teams if defense continues to improve for both teams.  I like the Wildcats tempo this year, more balanced on offense and speed kills!

PrivateLesson

True about offense but Defense wins Championships or so I've always been told. 

bmb195

September 20, 2017, 05:25:28 pm #22 Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 05:29:34 pm by bmb195
I'm very excited for this game this week; probably more excited than I was for the Texas vs. Arkansas game. Being a former player just a year ago of course I'm going to give it to the Razorbacks, but it's going to be a tough battle. Last year when we met in Greenwood the atmosphere was insane. Every building you passed had a big bulldog plastered on it. There were even elementary students standing on the side of the roads with signs saying "Beat Texarkana" on it! We finished off the first quarter at a surprising 10-0 lead, but I think once they scored and the guys heard those cannons and fireworks go off it shut everything down. With that being said, I think we will be able to take advantage since the game is being played at home. I know all the current players on the team and I can say that their mindsets have changed since we took the field last year. I'm ready to see how the guys handle pressure. Greenwood isn't PG, T High, or CF. Out of my two years starting varsity football at A High I never encountered players that were more fundamentally sound than Greenwood (other than McTelvin Agim, lol). I believe we could beat them if it was a show of athleticism, but it's not that. I liked the perseverance that was shown in the 4th quarter against PG, but to win a game against a powerhouse like Greenwood we need that all game. Last year Greenwood had trouble stopping the play action passes to Caldwell so I'm ready to see what the coaches have in the game plan for this week. If the offensive line steps it up I can see Jordan Hall and Tyrie Black gaining some rushing yards but otherwise it's going to be a shoot out, and Connor Noland is one heck of a QB. This game could extend momentum into the rest of the conference season for the Razorbacks. This game will show us how the Razorbacks handle pressure in the face of adversity, especially when they aren't picked to win in the slightest.

Pr8hd

September 20, 2017, 06:11:38 pm #23 Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:17:17 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: bmb195 on September 20, 2017, 05:25:28 pm
I'm very excited for this game this week; probably more excited than I was for the Texas vs. Arkansas game. Being a former player just a year ago of course I'm going to give it to the Razorbacks, but it's going to be a tough battle. Last year when we met in Greenwood the atmosphere was insane. Every building you passed had a big bulldog plastered on it. There were even elementary students standing on the side of the roads with signs saying "Beat Texarkana" on it! We finished off the first quarter at a surprising 10-0 lead, but I think once they scored and the guys heard those cannons and fireworks go off it shut everything down. With that being said, I think we will be able to take advantage since the game is being played at home. I know all the current players on the team and I can say that their mindsets have changed since we took the field last year. I'm ready to see how the guys handle pressure. Greenwood isn't PG, T High, or CF. Out of my two years starting varsity football at A High I never encountered players that were more fundamentally sound than Greenwood (other than McTelvin Agim, lol). I believe we could beat them if it was a show of athleticism, but it's not that. I liked the perseverance that was shown in the 4th quarter against PG, but to win a game against a powerhouse like Greenwood we need that all game. Last year Greenwood had trouble stopping the play action passes to Caldwell so I'm ready to see what the coaches have in the game plan for this week. If the offensive line steps it up I can see Jordan Hall and Tyrie Black gaining some rushing yards but otherwise it's going to be a shoot out, and Connor Noland is one heck of a QB. This game could extend momentum into the rest of the conference season for the Razorbacks. This game will show us how the Razorbacks handle pressure in the face of adversity, especially when they aren't picked to win in the slightest.

+1 on the analysis, support of your alma mater, and welcome to the "has been" or "wanna" club with the rest of us talking heads.  ;)

GW has seldom won a "beauty" contest on the field  or in the roster line up ....although it always helps to have QB with D1 talent. GW has faced superior athletic teams before and will again. Their MO is always execution in all phases.

sportsguy80

Hey how does this year defense compare to the one a couple of years ago that made it to the title game against PB?

Pr8hd

It's hard to say 3 games in really... Womack who is a Sr now started on the D-line then. He's a load for most anyone. I'd say they are better in the d-line though with him Webb and Hanna. Linebackers maybe not quite as strong because you had G. Morgan along with others. Although, this group looks pretty good too. There is no Morgan out there. Secondary would give a sleight edge to this group simply because that one started out shakey and took a few games to gel. They were pretty good by the title game though and really progressed thru the season. That group in 2015 was one that made up for their play on the field what they lacked in talent/ability. IMO, this defense is bigger and faster from top to bottom. They have not been tested too much although last week they had a few busted coverages.

I am sure others that may be more in the know have their own takes as well.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Pr8hd on September 20, 2017, 06:51:20 pm
It's hard to say 3 games in really... Womack who is a Sr now started on the D-line then. He's a load for most anyone. I'd say they are better in the d-line though with him Webb and Hanna. Linebackers maybe not quite as strong because you had G. Morgan along with others. Although, this group looks pretty good too. There is no Morgan out there. Secondary would give a sleight edge to this group simply because that one started out shakey and took a few games to gel. They were pretty good by the title game though and really progressed thru the season. That group in 2015 was one that made up for their play on the field what they lacked in talent/ability. IMO, this defense is bigger and faster from top to bottom. They have not been tested too much although last week they had a few busted coverages.

I am sure others that may be more in the know have their own takes as well.
That bunch in 15 were tough. I've been hearing a lot of buzz about this group so that's why I asked.

AHS06

Quote from: bmb195 on September 20, 2017, 05:25:28 pm
That's a direct reflection on the coaching.  I remember the days when Arkansas High had fireworks and El Dorado still has the cannon.

tomdawg55

This could be the. Set overall team Jones has had position wise not saying they can not be beat but very strong at most potiins and without mistakes wil. Beat you late in the game if it is close go dawgs and can't wait for WMS in Dec

Texarkana_Piggie

go hogs!  the countdown to friday night is on!  ready for this game. 

Bigfootdogfan

Good to see we can have a civil conservation about a Greenwood game with out it getting hijacked by you know who but we do still have two days left. LOL!!!! I have gone back and watched last years game with Texarkana to look at there off. And def. schems . I expect this years game will be closer then last years. I watched Texarkana vs Texas game and  Texarkana looked very good and had lots of speed. Both GW and Tex have good Def. So could be a low scoring game. Last year Tex. led 10-7 after first qt due to two interceptions. Then GW quit throwing interceptions and led 42-10 at half. Wish I could make that long trip to Texarkana for the game but will have to settle with watching it on live stream. Fully expect a better and closer game this year. Go Bulldogs!!!!!!!

bulldogger15

Quote from: High Voltage on September 18, 2017, 08:25:07 am
When the season started I thought this was an easy win. Not so much now.

Greenwood - 28
AHS - 14
Dang it High Voltage, you know the Bulldogs willl score more than 28 and the Hogs won't score 14 either.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

bulldogger15

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on September 20, 2017, 09:02:00 pm
go hogs!  the countdown to friday night is on!  ready for this game.
Ready to get your rear end blistered?

GO BULLDOGS!!!

bulldogger15

bulldogger15

Quote from: tomdawg55 on September 20, 2017, 08:12:52 pm
This could be the. Set overall team Jones has had position wise not saying they can not be beat but very strong at most potiins and without mistakes wil. Beat you late in the game if it is close go dawgs and can't wait for WMS in Dec
I'll have one of whatever Tomdawg55 was having.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

bulldogger15

Quote from: Bigfootdogfan on September 20, 2017, 09:45:45 pm
Good to see we can have a civil conservation about a Greenwood game with out it getting hijacked by you know who but we do still have two days left. LOL!!!! I have gone back and watched last years game with Texarkana to look at there off. And def. schems . I expect this years game will be closer then last years. I watched Texarkana vs Texas game and  Texarkana looked very good and had lots of speed. Both GW and Tex have good Def. So could be a low scoring game. Last year Tex. led 10-7 after first qt due to two interceptions. Then GW quit throwing interceptions and led 42-10 at half. Wish I could make that long trip to Texarkana for the game but will have to settle with watching it on live stream. Fully expect a better and closer game this year. Go Bulldogs!!!!!!!
You better go to the game and not bet on watching the Greenwood Livestream. Luckily I made it to the Alma game by halftime. I heard most people missed the entire game trying to link up to Greenwood livestream. I think we should win by at least 3 TD's, maybe 4.

Maybe the Bulldog Foundation can talk Farmers Bank into putting our own satellite into orbit? Maybe well call it the Bulldogger1???

Just a thought....

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Bigfootdogfan

I have faith in the Foundation just like I do the Bulldogs, some time we just have down days or games. Life isn't perfect. The team does their best and so did the live stream crew. I got to watch the game on the ALMA site. GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!

bulldogger15

Quote from: Bigfootdogfan on September 20, 2017, 10:59:41 pm
I have faith in the Foundation just like I do the Bulldogs, some time we just have down days or games. Life isn't perfect. The team does their best and so did the live stream crew. I got to watch the game on the ALMA site. GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!
I have faith in GOD, my country and the Greenwood Bulldogs, not the Bulldog Foundation or the live stream crew. Get real.... I am surprised Alma has live stream. Most people I know from Alma can't even use a remote control.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Bigfootdogfan

You see the glass as half empty and I see the glass as half full!!!

PrivateLesson

Greenwood win's in Greenwood fashion

bulldogger15

Quote from: Bigfootdogfan on September 21, 2017, 05:50:28 am
You see the glass as half empty and I see the glass as half full!!!
You need glasses. "Boy, I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals" Bigfootdogfan.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

RD™

Quote from: bulldogger15 on September 20, 2017, 10:37:40 pm
You better go to the game and not bet on watching the Greenwood Livestream. Luckily I made it to the Alma game by halftime. I heard most people missed the entire game trying to link up to Greenwood livestream. I think we should win by at least 3 TD's, maybe 4.

Maybe the Bulldog Foundation can talk Farmers Bank into putting our own satellite into orbit? Maybe well call it the Bulldogger1???

Just a thought....

GO BULLDOGS!!!
If you think the live stream sucks so bad, why don't you go volunteer to help resolve it/fix it/work it. If not shut up.

Baitshop

Bulldingy15 doesn't fix things, he just rants and whines about them...

AIREDALE25

My gut says blowout. My heart says come on AHS beat the Bulldogs and make them drive 4+ hours back and think about it.

Pr8hd

September 22, 2017, 10:11:44 am #44 Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:04:32 am by Pr8hd
As far as the live stream, things do happen, they offered refunds to those that paid. Working with technology as well, you get too familiar with break/fix scenarios. I would have loved to have had that option back in 2005 when they played the epic game at Wynne or the PA/CF games in 2007.

Plus really, you get the best of both worlds live action, and radio feed (makes it great to hear TT, Kev, and the Bald Barber). All those guys (web/stream/radio/pa) earn their "pay" which used to be nothing. No, idea if that is still the same, but if not they deserve whatever they get and more IMO. Best HS coverage top to bottom in the state, IMHO.

I plan on using it tonight and have no qualms about anteing up the money to do so regardless of past issues.

As far as back on topic, I had forgotten AHS drops down next year. Wow! They are going to be an immediate challenger to PA and any others in competition for sure.  With the coach, athletes, and facilities, they will make that 5A classification even more exciting than it already is.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Baitshop on September 21, 2017, 09:42:43 pm
Bulldingy15 doesn't fix things, he just rants and whines about them...
He just needs more love..

bulldogger15

Baitshop

I'm not too worried about him, he'll be gone next year.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Baitshop on September 22, 2017, 10:43:38 am
I'm not too worried about him, he'll be gone next year.
Wrong answer Stinkbait.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Baitshop

I've got a ham and cheese omelette at one of Fort Smith Premiere breakfast places that says that your posts will be cut by two-thirds next year.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas