• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Memphis Ridgeway @ Pulaski Academy

Started by Maynard G Krebs, September 04, 2017, 10:47:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Maynard G Krebs

September 04, 2017, 10:47:47 am Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:49:18 am by Maynard G Krebs
Don't know anything about this Memphis team other than they are winless..  What is expected?

Overdahill

walkingguy72396

I do not know if they knew any-thing for sure.  But when I mentioned this game to a few of my Memphis Clients.  I was told that if PA was looking for competition.  They would not find any this week.

BigLion10

PA needs to play some of the big boys from TX

Rulesman

Ridgeway was a powerhouse not all that long ago. But the football landscape in Memphis has changed, and not for the good either.

PA Dad

Ridgeway is 0-3.  MaxPreps ranks them 114 in Tennessee.  PA should not have a problem with them.

Lumberjackfan1978

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: BigLion10 on September 04, 2017, 01:23:04 pm
PA needs to play some of the big boys from TX
The Highland Park series was the most exciting thing PA football has done in years. I wish we could have gotten them to return a home game to us.

JessieP

PA has already proved it can hold it's own against similar classifications from Texas. For all the excitement and hype Texas with it's Friday Night Lights is no longer considered the Mecca of high school football talent. It's out west, California and a couple schools in Nevada, along with Florida. I'd match an Arkansas top classification school against a Texas one any day. The schools in California and Florida are where the recruiters park it. In fact, size and skill wise East Salt Lake is about as good as anything in Texas. 

BigLion10

September 05, 2017, 03:54:03 pm #9 Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:00:24 pm by BigLion10
That's hilarious, Highland Park is no where in the same league as the bigger schools in TX such as Allen and Desoto. HP is a 4A school and they have 6 classes like Arkansas but with a lot more schools than us they use Division I and Division II for all classes

STBruin

Quote from: BigLion10 on September 05, 2017, 03:54:03 pm
That's hilarious, Highland Park is no where in the same league as the bigger schools in TX such as Allen and Desoto. HP is a 4A school and they have 6 classes like Arkansas but with a lot more schools than us they use Division I and Division II for all classes

Highland Park is 5A, making them a class below Allen and Desoto, and on the next realignment, there is a chance that they will move up to 6A. The year PA played them they made it to the 5A State Championship to lose to Midway, Waco. The following year, they won the 5A state title. 

Wikipedia
It is currently classified as a Conference 5A high school by the University Interscholastic League. A common joke among Texas school athletic directors is that when the UIL realigns in even numbered years, the 5A-6A cutoff is always defined as "Highland Park plus two." Despite being an exaggeration as of 2008, Highland Park is now among one of the smaller 6A schools in Texas. The average class size is 30 students per teacher, with about 550 students in a grade.

BigLion10

Nice, they got beat Friday night too by Rockwall

JessieP

People mythologize Texas high school football, everyone except the people who evaluate talent for a living. Arkansas teams that are good, match up against Texas schools that are good, providing the classifications are apples to apples. Look at Max Preps, AP, Sports Nation or any other high school ranking polls. The Top 25 is peppered with California and Florida teams, Texas has 1 (De Soto) in every poll. It just drives me crazy when people say "well their good and all but not compared to Texas teams", that's rubbish. As far as D1 scholarships go Arkansas, per capita, is almost identical to Texas. California and Florida are far and above the rest. PA, or any other Arkansas school, wouldn't match up with a Mater Dei, Long Beach Poly or Bishop Gorman, they never claimed they would. But in a straight up match up of the Arkansas 5A champ vs. the Texas 5A champ I'd have no problem putting my money on PA.

People get all wound up about Texas because of the history, the massive stadiums, so many teams and the commercial visibility. By that rationale the best food in America is McDonalds. 

Deuceswild

I love McDonalds 😂. I gotta agree with JessieP. PA doesn't actually recruit but they give kids a better opportunity than where they are at and plain and simple, most parents would love for their kid to get national recognition so let's be real. There are some great teams in Texas but PA is a legit powerhouse. I would put $ on them against the top 10 teams in that state and come out a winner.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: BigLion10 on September 05, 2017, 04:11:32 pm
Nice, they got beat Friday night too by Rockwall
PA could go play the Houston Texans and some of you on this board would say "The Texans suck, the Cowboys are the only real team in Texas."

Overdahill

Quote from: JessieP on September 05, 2017, 05:17:20 pm
People mythologize Texas high school football, everyone except the people who evaluate talent for a living. Arkansas teams that are good, match up against Texas schools that are good, providing the classifications are apples to apples. Look at Max Preps, AP, Sports Nation or any other high school ranking polls. The Top 25 is peppered with California and Florida teams, Texas has 1 (De Soto) in every poll. It just drives me crazy when people say "well their good and all but not compared to Texas teams", that's rubbish. As far as D1 scholarships go Arkansas, per capita, is almost identical to Texas. California and Florida are far and above the rest. PA, or any other Arkansas school, wouldn't match up with a Mater Dei, Long Beach Poly or Bishop Gorman, they never claimed they would. But in a straight up match up of the Arkansas 5A champ vs. the Texas 5A champ I'd have no problem putting my money on PA.

People get all wound up about Texas because of the history, the massive stadiums, so many teams and the commercial visibility. By that rationale the best food in America is McDonalds.

If you ever attended the big school playoffs in Texas you would change your tune. The gauntlet that has to be run to win a big school championship in Texas is unlike anything you will see most anywhere else. BTW, Maxprep had 3 Texas teams in its top 25, (Allen, Katy and DeSoto) last time I looked but at most periods of time there are at least that many

Austin.Sutton

Hootens says the game will be on ESPN. Can anyone confirm?

JessieP

Quote from: Overdahill on September 06, 2017, 09:59:40 am
If you ever attended the big school playoffs in Texas you would change your tune. The gauntlet that has to be run to win a big school championship in Texas is unlike anything you will see most anywhere else. BTW, Maxprep had 3 Texas teams in its top 25, (Allen, Katy and DeSoto) last time I looked but at most periods of time there are at least that many

Rather then argue, I notice you take issue with everything I say...I do love having a true fan, I'll just agree. My mistake trying to show state pride and stick up for PA with Overdahill lurking. Arkansas is light years behind Texas, PA or any Arkansas team would get mercy ruled by ANY Texas team, including 8 man teams. Their accomplishments in the state of Arkansas should be accompanied by the worlds biggest asterisk. And as far as National media goes? what do those morons know. It's Texas and then a huge gap followed by the other 49 states clumped together. Those SEC, ACC, Big 10 and other conference recruiters are just as stupid. Park it in Texas and let the National Championships roll in. What was I thinking? PA being as competitive as a Texas team, what a joke.

Ball Hawk

It's obvious you don't have a clue.

HP has more money in that school than any other high school in Texas. If they desired to build a stadium like Allen, they could. They don't want that. Those kids at HP have personal trainers from the age 13-14 and up. Before PA went to HP and ended that insane home winning streak, HP was playing the best in Texas and winning.

Educate yourself about all things before talking down on Highland Park.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

September 06, 2017, 12:47:50 pm #19 Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:48:21 pm by Chief_Osceolaâ„¢
Quote from: Overdahill on September 06, 2017, 09:59:40 am

I'd say that's a lot like Florida, and maybe California. Schools like St. Thomas Aquinas, Miami Nortwestern, Booker T, Dade County Central (well really all the bigger schools in Broward and Dade counties), IMG, Tallahassee Lincoln, the Jacksonville/Space Coast areas, Plant in Tampa, etc. I think the biggest difference is facilities. Some of the Florida schools have excellent facilities, but as a whole nobody has what Texas has.

Corrected for my terrible spelling on mobile.

JessieP

Quote from: Ball Hawk on September 06, 2017, 12:26:40 pm

HP has more money in that school than any other high school in Texas. If they desired to build a stadium like Allen, they could. They don't want that. Those kids at HP have personal trainers from the age 13-14 and up. Before PA went to HP and ended that insane home winning streak, HP was playing the best in Texas and winning.

Now now now Ball Hawk. While I agree with everything you said, be careful. Overdahill and other Texas worshipers are watching. No team from Arkansas belongs anywhere within 10 miles of a Texas High school football team. I think I read somewhere here that HP's cheerleaders beat Mater Dei 55-10.

JessieP

September 06, 2017, 12:58:23 pm #21 Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:00:36 pm by JessieP
Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on September 06, 2017, 12:47:50 pm
Id say that's a lot like Florida, and maybe California. Schools like St. Thomas Aquinas, Miami Nortwest, Booker T, Dade County Central (well really all the bigger schools in Broward and Dade counties), IMG, Tallahassee Lincoln, the Jacksonville/Space Coast areas, Plante in Tampa, etc. I think the biggest difference is facilities. Some of the Florida schools have excellent facilities, but as a whole nobody has what Texas has.

Spot on! it's facilities. Facilities doesn't always mean talent. I am not saying that Texas high school ball isn't top notch, it is. I'm saying a lot of it is just flashy hype. It's a Kiss concert vs. The Rolling Stones. Don't let the pyrotechnics fool you. I want Batesville to beat PA again so bad it hurts, I'll take any 5A team doing it. What I will not accept is when people say "Oh, it's just Arkansas. It's not like their doing it in Texas". Texas football is just football. Ask Maryland or UCLA.

BigLion10

Quote from: Ball Hawk on September 06, 2017, 12:26:40 pm

That's funny since I lived in Dallas for a few years and guess what Highland Park wasn't playing Allen and the big boys then, and they aren't now. Go look at the schedules and gets some facts before you try and blow smoke on here. They couldn't hang with Allen, Southlake Carroll, Desoto, Cedar Hill, Trinity or any of those teams. They are ranked 11th in their classification and ranked 64th overall in Texas bud not 1st

BigLion10

The year PA beat them in Dallas they ended up being ranked 85th in Texas at the end of the year

JessieP

In the currant Max Preps National Top 25 Florida has 5 teams, California has 5 teams, Texas has 0 teams. Do you hear about Florida high school football that much? California? tell me again how PA's accomplishments aren't up to Texas standards?

Red Devil Alum

September 06, 2017, 01:12:30 pm #25 Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:42:06 pm by Red Devil Alum
Quote from: JessieP on September 06, 2017, 12:20:00 pm
Rather then argue, I notice you take issue with everything I say...I do love having a true fan, I'll just agree. My mistake trying to show state pride and stick up for PA with Overdahill lurking. Arkansas is light years behind Texas, PA or any Arkansas team would get mercy ruled by ANY Texas team, including 8 man teams. Their accomplishments in the state of Arkansas should be accompanied by the worlds biggest asterisk. And as far as National media goes? what do those morons know. It's Texas and then a huge gap followed by the other 49 states clumped together. Those SEC, ACC, Big 10 and other conference recruiters are just as stupid. Park it in Texas and let the National Championships roll in. What was I thinking? PA being as competitive as a Texas team, what a joke.
To be fair, I think the pecking order is all Texas high schools, Earle, and then a huge gap to the other 49 states.  ;)

JessieP

BigLion10

MP Xcellent 25 Rankings has Desoto at 7, Allen at 12, Cibolo Steel at 17, and Katy at 20

Youngsta71701

Is this the same Highland Park that Jerry Jones grandson played for and helped win a state championship last year?

BigLion10

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: JessieP on September 06, 2017, 01:12:39 pm
Here ya go for those that kneel at the alter of Texas:
http://www.maxpreps.com/rankings/football/1/national.htm

I can't believe I forgot about Armwood.  They are relatively new on the football powerhouse scene, but it seems like the last few years there are several kids that go to one of the big 3 in Florida.  There are even some that go to UF and Miami.  :)

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 06, 2017, 01:48:52 pm
Is this the same Highland Park that Jerry Jones grandson played for and helped win a state championship last year?
Apparently PA played the Highland Park where they all drive Corolla's and didn't have a 90+ game home winning streak.

JessieP

Quote from: BigLion10 on September 06, 2017, 01:37:31 pm
MP Xcellent 25 Rankings has Desoto at 7, Allen at 12, Cibolo Steel at 17, and Katy at 20

The Xcellent rankings are done by the fans. You follow me? fans vote on it, not coaches or computer generated list. So all those rabid Texas (Unbiased..."cough cough") fans vote. The Xcellent rankings include fan clubs of the hottest qb. Not exactly a legitimate source.

Overdahill

Quote from: JessieP on September 06, 2017, 01:09:55 pm
In the currant Max Preps National Top 25 Florida has 5 teams, California has 5 teams, Texas has 0 teams. Do you hear about Florida high school football that much? California? tell me again how PA's accomplishments aren't up to Texas standards?

Let me try to be more clear. I am a PA fan, had a son play there from 5th grad thru senior year and a daughter graduate from there as well. I'm a huge PA fan and am very proud of their accomplishments (dedication, creativity, discipline, etc) But I lived in Texas and attended the big school playoffs for many years. PA or Batesville, Wynne, Warren, Fayetteville, Bentonville, etc are great programs but they would not go on multi-year win streaks in the state in Texas..too many other good teams unlike the conferences that PA and Batesville play in. Point of fact, to win a big school championship in Arkansas you have to be better than what ? 15 other teams vs hundreds of others in Texas. You can only beat the teams you are scheduled to play but winning out in big school Texas is a much tougher out. Also, whether it is simply the law of large numbers or not the talent on the field for those mega school systems is greater than most other places

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on September 06, 2017, 01:55:42 pm
Apparently PA played the Highland Park where they all drive Corolla's and didn't have a 90+ game home winning streak.
Yeah, if you're winning state championships on the 5A level in Texas your football team is pretty dog on good. No matter how you try to spin it. A 5A school in Texas is like a 7A school in Arkansas. Just saying...Carry on...

Overdahill

Maynard G Krebs

I guess there isn't much to talk about playing Memphis Ridgeway.  35 total posts and all have been on the subject of TX since the eighth post.

JessieP

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 06, 2017, 03:34:01 pm
I guess there isn't much to talk about playing Memphis Ridgeway.  35 total posts and all have been on the subject of TX since the eighth post.

These threads do seem to wander but in all fairness Maynard how much can you expound on Memphis Ridgeway? they are Tennessee's GCT. I think the PA JV's may be winded in the 2nd quarter. You guy's didn't exactly schedule a powerhouse. Sometimes we hear "out-of-state" and the game seems more interesting. Cedar Ridge, a 3A near Batesville, had a game 2 weeks ago against a team from Alabama. CR is a very average team in the 3A and they destroyed the Alabama team something like 57-14. BREAKING NEWS! other states have some pretty bad teams. So if you want more interesting conversation wait until you have a real game coming up. My actual thoughts on this game? if PA's defense walks off the field MR will score in the next 3 or 4 plays.

Maynard G Krebs

I shall be patient, although it's not one of my strong virtues😀

BigLion10

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 06, 2017, 03:51:46 pm
I shall be patient, although it's not one of my strong virtues😀
Just curious. Do you have anything productive to bring to the table about Memphis Ridgeway? If so we would love to see it.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 06, 2017, 04:05:34 pm
Just curious. Do you have anything productive to bring to the table about Memphis Ridgeway? If so we would love to see it.

No.   I did look up their schedule and they are 0-3 and I don't know anything else.

Maynard G Krebs

Memphis Ridgeway is 0-3.  They lost 37-16 to Memphis University School (2-1) Whitehaven (3-0) by a 42-0 score and finally a loss to Kirby(3-0) by 55-40.
All games have been away. 

Overdahill

Quote from: JessieP on September 06, 2017, 03:49:52 pm
These threads do seem to wander but in all fairness Maynard how much can you expound on Memphis Ridgeway? they are Tennessee's GCT. I think the PA JV's may be winded in the 2nd quarter. You guy's didn't exactly schedule a powerhouse. Sometimes we hear "out-of-state" and the game seems more interesting. Cedar Ridge, a 3A near Batesville, had a game 2 weeks ago against a team from Alabama. CR is a very average team in the 3A and they destroyed the Alabama team something like 57-14. BREAKING NEWS! other states have some pretty bad teams. So if you want more interesting conversation wait until you have a real game coming up. My actual thoughts on this game? if PA's defense walks off the field MR will score in the next 3 or 4 plays.

I agree with Jessie!  :D

JessieP

Quote from: Overdahill on September 06, 2017, 04:58:09 pm
I agree with Jessie!  :D

That may be a first, lol. Actually I can't fathom how anyone would get irritated by the lack of insight into this game? 8 post? that's about 7 more then needed.

businesstron

Quote from: STBruin on September 05, 2017, 04:05:58 pm
Highland Park is 5A, making them a class below Allen and Desoto, and on the next realignment, there is a chance that they will move up to 6A. The year PA played them they made it to the 5A State Championship to lose to Midway, Waco. The following year, they won the 5A state title. 

Wikipedia
It is currently classified as a Conference 5A high school by the University Interscholastic League. A common joke among Texas school athletic directors is that when the UIL realigns in even numbered years, the 5A-6A cutoff is always defined as "Highland Park plus two." Despite being an exaggeration as of 2008, Highland Park is now among one of the smaller 6A schools in Texas. The average class size is 30 students per teacher, with about 550 students in a grade.

Wrong.   HP played PA for two years.  During those two years they were in the biggest classification in Texas (I can't remember if it was 6a or 5a at that point)  But the first year HP won barely like 49-42  and then the next year PA blew them out. 

In both years though HP DID NOT win a state championship.  They lost to Midway in the second round of the playoffs.  Highland Park has always been a good 5a team but they aren't in the same realm as the Southlake Carroll, Cedar Hills, Allens, and Desotos of the world.   

businesstron

Quote from: JessieP on September 05, 2017, 05:17:20 pm

Not sure what poll you looking at.  There are 3 texas schools in Maxpreps top 25. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BBQ79ipYeki0BcqY11Q9nw8X7of4qR-1SHrHDyHU2fM/edit#gid=1296976182

Arkansas team in most years don't stack up to the top teams in Texas.    Bentonville played Trinity a few years back.  Trinity barely won that game and went on to lose a couple of rounds into the playoffs.  Bentonville won a state title. 

Not too long ago Trinity beat De La Salle.  Before the game was played De La Salle was the defending State Champion in California and they were # 1 or 2 in the country.  People said it was one of their best teams in recent times.   Trinity beat them.   De la Salle won another state title that year.   Trinity didn't make it out the first round. 

Texas might not have the best teams in the nation year in and year out but they are always up there.  As far as quality they have everyone else beat.    Teams that have talent like Cedar Hill, Desoto, Cibolo Steele, or Judson don't exist in Arkansas. 

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: JessieP on September 06, 2017, 05:15:02 pm
That may be a first, lol. Actually I can't fathom how anyone would get irritated by the lack of insight into this game? 8 post? that's about 7 more then needed.

😜😀😀😀😀😀

JessieP

Quote from: businesstron on September 06, 2017, 05:58:56 pm
Not sure what poll you looking at.  There are 3 texas schools in Maxpreps top 25. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BBQ79ipYeki0BcqY11Q9nw8X7of4qR-1SHrHDyHU2fM/edit#gid=1296976182

Arkansas team in most years don't stack up to the top teams in Texas.    Bentonville played Trinity a few years back.  Trinity barely won that game and went on to lose a couple of rounds into the playoffs.  Bentonville won a state title. 

Not too long ago Trinity beat De La Salle.  Before the game was played De La Salle was the defending State Champion in California and they were # 1 or 2 in the country.  People said it was one of their best teams in recent times.   Trinity beat them.   De la Salle won another state title that year.   Trinity didn't make it out the first round. 

Texas might not have the best teams in the nation year in and year out but they are always up there.  As far as quality they have everyone else beat.    Teams that have talent like Cedar Hill, Desoto, Cibolo Steele, or Judson don't exist in Arkansas.

That's a spreadsheet that someone made. I can make one myself that shows GCT number 1. The link to the most recent Max Preps rankings has been linked here. Take a look at this, but sit down first, it may burst your bubble a bit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_School_Football_National_Championship

PA Dad

I haven't seen nearly enough of the top teams play to give an informed opinion.  There are certainly some great teams in California and Florida.

I watched Lake Travis play Luyon (I'm not sure of that spelling) last weekend.  I don't think there's a team in Arkansas that could beat either team.  So, even if Texas doesn't have the best football in the nation they still have some dang good teams.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas