• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A-4 2017

Started by x14113, June 08, 2017, 11:48:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win it?

Booneville
24 (48%)
Dardanelle
10 (20%)
Dover
0 (0%)
Ozark
6 (12%)
Pottsville
3 (6%)
Subiaco
2 (4%)
Waldron
3 (6%)
West Fork
2 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: September 22, 2017, 11:48:47 am

x14113

Now that other folks are starting to pipe up on its future, what's to be expected from this ragtag group this fall?

FWIW, here's what I anticipate.

Title Contenders: Booneville, Dardanelle, Ozark--It's really tempting to put the Bearcats by themselves in this group, and their response to last year's first-round exit will be telling. The Lizards and Hillbillies, meanwhile, both return several key starters and welcome excellent sophomore classes, but departures will be felt by both, as well.

On the Fence: Pottsville--How will the Apaches respond to last season's letdown? On paper, they should have a lot in place to contend for the title, but find themselves having to play catch-up with the three teams above. One point to watch is whether Shawn McBride will be promoted to varsity.

Fighting for Week 11: Dover, Waldron--The Bulldogs made notable strides in winning as many games last season as the previous eight combined, but couldn't quite keep up with the arms race that developed over time. If they are to clinch their first playoff berth since their 4AAA championship team of 2003, their best shot will be against a Pirate side that has become a model of consistency in recent years.

Looking to Surprise: Subiaco, West Fork--With the recent revelation that their move back to Class 3A will not be as kind to them as previous ventures, you can expect the Tigers to redouble their efforts and get ready for seasons to come. The Trojans, meanwhile, might have fielded the worst team in the state last year, and where they go from there will depend greatly on their new coach.

Gray lizard

Should be a good year.  I do not look for any team to run off and leave the pack.

As far as Pottsville they should be solid.  The McBride boy last I heard will move up.  I am not sure he will make a difference on offence as they have a few capable running backs.  He may be able to contribute on defense.  Only time will tell.  It is a big step up from JR high to high school.  The step up from 7th grade to JR high showed last year at times.

Dardanelle will be pretty good again, but look for them to peak next season.  They could develop into a very solid team by the time playoffs roll around.

Booneville well I expect them to be Booneville.  They will field a good team.

Ozark seems to be in decent shape. I do not know about what if any skill players they will have.

Waldron could very likely move up to the 4 or 5 spot.

Dover I have not been hearing much about.  I do know they will have size on the line over the next few years.

I know nothing about Subiaco or West Fork.

I also think any of the 4-4A teams will have trouble past a first round game. I hope I am wrong but that is what I think.

beach bum

I would have listed the conference almost exactly the same. I know West Fork just came to 4A at the wrong time. The talent is no where near where it was the previous 7 or 8 years or so.... Them and Subiaco will have a rough go at it. Then I will predict Waldron tops Dover and gets in the playoffs this time around. The top of the league I see it almost exactly how you see it.... I would go Booneville, Dardanelle/Ozark, then Pottsville.

x14113

Quote from: Gray lizard on June 12, 2017, 08:56:02 am
Ozark seems to be in decent shape. I do not know about what if any skill players they will have.

The Hillbillies return starters at QB (Deitz), WR (Millsap), and a near-embarrassment of riches at RB (Atkinson, Ree, Graham). Bryant Burns also saw significant time in the postseason at TE.

x14113

I just read of a major closure that will greatly impact the Waldron area.

http://5newsonline.com/2017/06/12/waldron-walmart-to-close-in-july/

It may not be immediate, but its absence will be felt in the years to come.

Gray lizard

That could be good news for Waldron. I know 95 will be with out a job, but a few locals will make a lot more and keep the money local.

athletic supporter

Quote from: Gray lizard on June 16, 2017, 09:26:13 am
That could be good news for Waldron. I know 95 will be with out a job, but a few locals will make a lot more and keep the money local.

It's NEVER good news for a town the size of Waldron when a major employer of the population shuts down.

Lumberjackfan1978

No losing a major employer for any small town is never good

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Gray lizard on June 16, 2017, 09:26:13 am

How do you figure it will be good?  It was probably brought on by many sailing by their local wal mart headed to the greenwood supercenter. 

x14113

FWIW, here's how Calpreps orders the conference as of this post.

(numbers in parentheses note rank in Class 4A.)

Ozark (10)
Dardanelle (12)
Booneville (17)
Dover (25)
Pottsville (30)
Waldron (33)
West Fork (45)
Subiaco (48)

You can tell that that last year's results weigh heavily on these preseason rankings...

x14113

Meanwhile, here's how the conference is polled by the coaches.

Booneville
Dardanelle
Pottsville
Ozark
Waldron
Dover
West Fork
Subiaco

I can think of a couple of teams that might not like their place on that list...

Gray lizard

Quote from: x14113 on June 26, 2017, 11:26:56 pm
Meanwhile, here's how the conference is polled by the coaches.

Booneville
Dardanelle
Pottsville
Ozark
Waldron
Dover
West Fork
Subiaco

I can think of a couple of teams that might not like their place on that list...
I do not think it would surprise anyone to much if you switched the top 4 teams around.  Now if one of the bottom 4 end up at one of the two top spots.  That would shock some people.

Lacerta agilis

Quote from: x14113 on June 08, 2017, 11:48:47 am
Now that other folks are starting to pipe up on its future, what's to be expected from this ragtag group this fall?

FWIW, here's what I anticipate.

Title Contenders: Booneville, Dardanelle, Ozark--It's really tempting to put the Bearcats by themselves in this group, and their response to last year's first-round exit will be telling. The Lizards and Hillbillies, meanwhile, both return several key starters and welcome excellent sophomore classes, but departures will be felt by both, as well.

On the Fence: Pottsville--How will the Apaches respond to last season's letdown? On paper, they should have a lot in place to contend for the title, but find themselves having to play catch-up with the three teams above. One point to watch is whether Shawn McBride will be promoted to varsity.

Fighting for Week 11: Dover, Waldron--The Bulldogs made notable strides in winning as many games last season as the previous eight combined, but couldn't quite keep up with the arms race that developed over time. If they are to clinch their first playoff berth since their 4AAA championship team of 2003, their best shot will be against a Pirate side that has become a model of consistency in recent years.

Looking to Surprise: Subiaco, West Fork--With the recent revelation that their move back to Class 3A will not be as kind to them as previous ventures, you can expect the Tigers to redouble their efforts and get ready for seasons to come. The Trojans, meanwhile, might have fielded the worst team in the state last year, and where they go from there will depend greatly on their new coach.

Spot on as usual. I doubt the conference will have a team at War Memorial this season, but I do think the upper tier teams will be better than last season.

Gray lizard

By the way the McBride boy did not move up for Pottsville. That will help the JR high team.  I don't think it will matter to the high school team.

smurf_you91

I seriously believe the hillbillies will get-r-done this year they only lost 7 players from last years team that finished second in the 4-4A and surprised Ashdown to advance to the second round! they have 53 players on their roster this year ten more than last with only four or five two way players and a second place freshman corp coming in they brought back the bulk of their starters mostly juniors with only 13 seniors this season I seriously believe they can get it done this year but we have to wait and see.

Gray lizard

Here is how I have it.
Booneville        6-1
Dardanelle       6-1
Pottsville          5-2
Ozark              4-3
Waldron           4-3
Dover               2-5
West Fork         1-6
Subiaco            0-7

And that is with Dardanelle in first spot.

nastynice

Quote from: Gray lizard on August 14, 2017, 04:56:11 pm
Here is how I have it.
Booneville        6-1
Dardanelle       6-1
Pottsville          5-2
Ozark              4-3
Waldron           4-3
Dover               2-5
West Fork         1-6
Subiaco            0-7

And that is with Dardanelle in first spot.

I'll play.

Booneville     7-0
Dardy.          6-1
Ozark.           5-2
Potts.            4-3
Waldron.        4-3

Week 1 will tell us a lot about Booneville and Dardy.  Booneville will be greatly improved from last year. Dardy I don't think will be quite as good as last year.

beach bum

1.Booneville
2.Dardanelle
3.Ozark
4.Waldron
5.Pottsville
6.Dover
7.West Fork
8.Subiaco

The Coach

Quote from: smurf_you91 on August 14, 2017, 09:42:48 am
I seriously believe the hillbillies will get-r-done this year they only lost 7 players from last years team that finished second in the 4-4A and surprised Ashdown to advance to the second round! they have 53 players on their roster this year ten more than last with only four or five two way players and a second place freshman corp coming in they brought back the bulk of their starters mostly juniors with only 13 seniors this season I seriously believe they can get it done this year but we have to wait and see.

Ozark finished 3rd last season in conference

smurf_you91

we finished tied for 2nd but because boonevile beat us they got the second seed pottsville beat booneville and we beat pottsville which caused us to be tied.

x14113

Ozark scored TDs on six of nine possesions in a scrimmage with Huntsville that was truncated after a major injury to a Huntsville defender.

The offense almost made it seem effortless, but I'm most impressed with the number of sophomores that made plays during the evening.

Of course, the season opener should make for a better lithmus...

beach bum

Quote from: x14113 on August 22, 2017, 10:20:42 pm
Ozark scored TDs on six of nine possesions in a scrimmage with Huntsville that was truncated after a major injury to a Huntsville defender.

The offense almost made it seem effortless, but I'm most impressed with the number of sophomores that made plays during the evening.

Of course, the season opener should make for a better lithmus...

That Gravette vs. Ozark should be a great and competitive game to watch for the fans for sure. Both similar teams that had similar seasons last year too. Both are looking to possibly improve on last year as well. That should be one of the closer contests opening night between 4A opponents.

Lumberjackfan1978

1.Booneville
2.Ozark
3.Dardanelle

AT

Booneville looked very solid in the multiple team scrimmage jamboree at Charleston, even against host Charleston.

Very impressed by their team.

nastynice

Quote from: Almatrackster on August 24, 2017, 07:33:01 pm
Booneville looked very solid in the multiple team scrimmage jamboree at Charleston, even against host Charleston.

Very impressed by their team.

We looked ok. Still moving guys around right now.  Hard to tell much at that jamboree, they were all pretty weak.  I think Hector may have scored the only td against our first team, I can't remember.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas