• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Little Rock Rejects Millage

Started by Brian G, May 09, 2017, 11:13:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

And it wasn't even close.

I think it's plain to see that this is not a signal for the better as it was to go to building and facility improvement. 

Look for the private and charter schools to become a bigger player in athletics in Little Rock.

sevenof400

Don't worry - you will have another chance to vote on another millage increase soon because (from the article):
Quote...LRSD officials say they will likely ask to put the millage extension up for a vote again next year.

AirWarren

game on

Lions84

Walter

Taxation without representation is one thing our country was built on. Not saying it was right but I certainly understand.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: SardisHog on May 11, 2017, 02:48:38 pm
Taxation without representation is one thing our country was built on. Not saying it was right but I certainly understand.
How is it taxation without representation if you are voting for the tax?

zebradynasty

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 12, 2017, 08:31:15 am
How is it taxation without representation if you are voting for the tax?

I think (not speaking for Sardis) what he's getting at is that if passed a lot of people will be paying who's kids do not and will not attend public schools in Little Rock. They also will not have much if any representation on any school boards.

Walter

The state has taken over the school board which is suppose to be a local entity elected by the people not appointed by the state board of education. I will not argue that the school board was doing a pee poor job but the state taking over was a BIG mistake. Give control back to the local level where it belongs. People who do not attend public school make their own choice. That does not stop them from their responsibilities. I don't know why I entered into this discussion, I live near but not in the LRSD.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SardisHog on May 12, 2017, 01:05:46 pm
The state has taken over the school board which is suppose to be a local entity elected by the people not appointed by the state board of education. I will not argue that the school board was doing a pee poor job but the state taking over was a BIG mistake. Give control back to the local level where it belongs. People who do not attend public school make their own choice. That does not stop them from their responsibilities. I don't know why I entered into this discussion, I live near but not in the LRSD.

Could give them the option that a smaller school district would get....forced consolidation with nearby districts....might be a good option from what you hear on the news and on here...

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 12, 2017, 01:48:03 pm
Could give them the option that a smaller school district would get....forced consolidation with nearby districts....might be a good option from what you hear on the news and on here...

I definitely agree with this as well in this situation...

Walter

I would guess there is not one adjacent school district that would willingly join with LRSD.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SardisHog on May 12, 2017, 06:20:10 pm
I would guess there is not one adjacent school district that would willingly join with LRSD.

Pcssd would do it, just to still exist when Sylvan hills, Robinson and Maumelle leave town...

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: SardisHog on May 12, 2017, 06:20:10 pm

Most school districts adjacent to LRSD have thrived and benefited from the flight to leave LRSD

AirWarren

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 12, 2017, 06:31:05 pm
Pcssd would do it, just to still exist when Sylvan hills, Robinson and Maumelle leave town...

Maumelle and Robinson should beg to leave the pccsd.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: AirWarren on May 12, 2017, 10:26:18 pm
Maumelle and Robinson should beg to leave the pccsd.

I'm figuring it's only a matter of time before lrsd and pcssd cease to exist in their current form....

sevenof400

Quote from: game on on May 10, 2017, 04:39:36 pm
Get what you pay for!

Actually, it's just the opposite - money thrown at a problem with no plan for success means the only predictable outcome is more money will be demanded.

GuvHog

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 12, 2017, 06:31:05 pm

I'd doubt it. What other High Schools would be left in the PCSSD if Sylvan Hills, Robinson, and Maumelle all pulled out??

AirWarren

May 13, 2017, 11:33:32 pm #18 Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:35:20 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: GuvHog on May 13, 2017, 03:10:14 pm
I'd doubt it. What other High Schools would be left in the PCSSD if Sylvan Hills, Robinson, and Maumelle all pulled out??

Honestly. Who cares? Those three schools have somewhat of a heartbeat with some middle to upper middle class families still sending their kids to those schools.

I'm seeing a lot of strides with Robinson and family involvement. If they could close their attendance zone, it could be a successful school. Same with Maumelle and Sylvan hills.

blue4hire

Quote from: GuvHog on May 13, 2017, 03:10:14 pm
Just Mills

GuvHog

Quote from: blue4hire on May 14, 2017, 01:09:37 am
Just Mills

That's what I thought. Since Mills has their own Elementary, Middle and Junior High Schools, they'd probably opt for their own school board if Sylvan Hills, Robinson, and Maumelle leave the PCSSD. I don't see Mills agreeing to become a part of the LRSD.

blue4hire

Quote from: GuvHog on May 14, 2017, 05:31:03 pm
That's what I thought. Since Mills has their own Elementary, Middle and Junior High Schools, they'd probably opt for their own school board if Sylvan Hills, Robinson, and Maumelle leave the PCSSD. I don't see Mills agreeing to become a part of the LRSD.
I doubt the Mills feeder pattern would have a high enough student population to qualify as their own district. It's all a pipe dream though because no new district can be formed from the PCSSD until declared unitary by the federal judge. John Walker will never allow that to happen.

GuvHog

Quote from: blue4hire on May 14, 2017, 09:57:18 pm
I doubt the Mills feeder pattern would have a high enough student population to qualify as their own district. It's all a pipe dream though because no new district can be formed from the PCSSD until declared unitary by the federal judge. John Walker will never allow that to happen.

Mills is currently a 4A school so that's easily a high enough student population. If all of the schools want out, the board can vote to dissolve the PCSSD and allow the schools to elect their own school boards.

blue4hire

Quote from: GuvHog on May 15, 2017, 10:39:02 am
Mills is currently a 4A school so that's easily a high enough student population. If all of the schools want out, the board can vote to dissolve the PCSSD and allow the schools to elect their own school boards.
You have to have 4000 k-12 to start a new district which is unlikely. The key is, would they let them stay since a Mills only district would technically be PCSSD and not new.

GuvHog

Quote from: blue4hire on May 15, 2017, 02:05:32 pm
You have to have 4000 k-12 to start a new district which is unlikely. The key is, would they let them stay since a Mills only district would technically be PCSSD and not new.

How is that possible since there are many school districts in Arkansas that have never had close to that large of an enrollment???

blue4hire

Quote from: GuvHog on May 16, 2017, 11:08:52 am
How is that possible since there are many school districts in Arkansas that have never had close to that large of an enrollment???
That is the requirement to create a NEW disrtict. Jax left and had to have 4000 k-12. If ever declared unitary and SH, Maumelle, and/or Robinson wanted out, they would each  have to have 4000 too. Say all 3 go and that just leaves Mills....the questions would be: 1) is the PCSSD gone and 4 new districts are wanting to be created (and mills isn't large enough so it would be forced to consolidate) or 2) even though almost all schools and tax base left, Mills is still PCSSD and is allowed to continue as it's own district under the PCSSD banner.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: blue4hire on May 16, 2017, 12:30:45 pm
That is the requirement to create a NEW disrtict. Jax left and had to have 4000 k-12. If ever declared unitary and SH, Maumelle, and/or Robinson wanted out, they would each  have to have 4000 too. Say all 3 go and that just leaves Mills....the questions would be: 1) is the PCSSD gone and 4 new districts are wanting to be created (and mills isn't large enough so it would be forced to consolidate) or 2) even though almost all schools and tax base left, Mills is still PCSSD and is allowed to continue as it's own district under the PCSSD banner.

Would say they would continue to be pcssd....as they never technically left the district to begin with

Michiganhog

We have more school districts in this district than the state of California

GuvHog

Quote from: blue4hire on May 16, 2017, 12:30:45 pm

If you'll check I believe you'll find out that Before becoming a part of PCSSD, Mills was known as Fuller and had it's own separate school district. Their Junior High, Middle School, and Elementary School all are still under the Fuller name. I remember back in the 60's when WC played Fuller High in football. Fuller high had a good RB named Robert Abraham.

millsalum14

Quote from: GuvHog on May 16, 2017, 03:21:53 pm
If you'll check I believe you'll find out that Before becoming a part of PCSSD, Mills was known as Fuller and had it's own separate school district. Their Junior High, Middle School, and Elementary School all are still under the Fuller name. I remember back in the 60's when WC played Fuller High in football. Fuller high had a good RB named Robert Abraham.

There are about three elementary schools clearly feed into Mills, and none of them are named Fuller. The old Fuller Elementary was closed a few years back. The only thing with the Fuller name that remains is Fuller Middle School.

sevenof400

Quote from: Michiganhog on May 16, 2017, 03:19:23 pm
We have more school districts in this district than the state of California

Which means we are paying way too many administrators a lot more than they are worth.  I have been a proponent of the idea of merging district administrative functions for many years.  But in the current time, one district outsourcing their administrative functions to other districts might be the way to go. 

Rey Pygsterio

Hand the state/district a check with no spending oversight from elected representatives?

heck NO.

Try again when the board is back in place, LRSD.

GuvHog

Quote from: millsalum14 on May 30, 2017, 11:29:08 pm
There are about three elementary schools clearly feed into Mills, and none of them are named Fuller. The old Fuller Elementary was closed a few years back. The only thing with the Fuller name that remains is Fuller Middle School.

Thanks for the info. I was not aware that the Fuller elementary school had closed. Fuller was a separate school district before it became part of the PCSSD though, and that was the point that I was making.

Lions84

I was raised growing up that voting for and supporting you public schools was a civic duty cause it was something that benefits us all.

AirWarren

Quote from: Lions84 on June 02, 2017, 09:01:22 am
I was raised growing up that voting for and supporting you public schools was a civic duty cause it was something that benefits us all.

I do not mind taxes on our schools. Period.

sevenof400

Quote from: Lions84 on June 02, 2017, 09:01:22 am

Back in that day though, public schools still had some sense...and discipline.  Two assets sorely lacking today..

AirWarren

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 02, 2017, 10:23:06 am
Back in that day though, public schools still had some sense...and discipline.  Two assets sorely lacking today..

The lack of discipline is missing. However.

THE PARENTS OF KIDS still had a sense of discipline where that discipline started at HOME. Teachers are supposed to be teachers. Not parents.

Heard a story the other day. One of those "parents", told the Sunday school teacher was to not place her children in timeout or be subject to a non parent discipline. These kids were running amuck in Sunday school obviously but that's how they are allowed to do at home. Can't imagine the entitled brats those kids will turn out to be as adults.

GuvHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 02, 2017, 10:23:06 am

Back in that day parents backed the Teachers and Principals. That's rare these days.

Back in the day Parents had no say about school discipline and everything to say about what their children were being taught.

Now days Parents have too much to say about school discipline and no say in what their children are being taught.

Now days some parents don't care what their children are being taught in the class room but if a teacher or a Principal paddles their child, they'll raise bloody Hades about it. Misplaced priorities.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas