• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MaxPreps

Started by T-Bone, April 28, 2017, 07:57:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

Was wondering how MaxPreps does their standings on baseball?  Has to be computer generated I would think.  I also want to thank them.  I love being the underdog.  Dropped another 2 in state overall rankings.  It is like poking the dog a little.  Hopefully JHS can come out fighting back and prove them wrong.  We will find out over the next few weeks.

Chief_Osceola™

It is entirely computer-generated.  I think somewhere on their site they say how they come up with the rankings.  Combination of wins/losses, opponents, etc.  It seems to be heavily based on a strength of schedule metric.

OB11

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on April 28, 2017, 10:54:34 am
It is entirely computer-generated.  I think somewhere on their site they say how they come up with the rankings.  Combination of wins/losses, opponents, etc.  It seems to be heavily based on a strength of schedule metric.

Herein lies the problem I have with MaxPreps...the strength of schedule is based off of where they are ranked by MaxPreps itself. So if a really good team is ranked low at the beginning of the season by MaxPreps then that win does not look as "good" to a team that beats them.

T-Bone

Quote from: OB11 on April 28, 2017, 10:59:08 am
Herein lies the problem I have with MaxPreps...the strength of schedule is based off of where they are ranked by MaxPreps itself. So if a really good team is ranked low at the beginning of the season by MaxPreps then that win does not look as "good" to a team that beats them.

I love to win as well as the next guy but I also like to be the underdog moving forward at the end.  It has a tendency to motivate true players.

dirtbagbaseball

April 28, 2017, 11:38:39 am #4 Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:40:35 am by dirtbagbaseball
Quote from: T-Bone on April 28, 2017, 11:22:19 am
I love to win as well as the next guy but I also like to be the underdog moving forward at the end.  It has a tendency to motivate true players.

Are you winning or being the underdog, or the kids playing the game?  ;)

dirtbagbaseball

Quote from: OB11 on April 28, 2017, 10:59:08 am

The problem with MaxPreps is that we actually have some that look at their rankings and take them seriously.  MaxPreps has no idea who is good and who isn't, it goes off records.

ricepig

Quote from: dirtbagbaseball on April 28, 2017, 11:40:06 am
The problem with MaxPreps is that we actually have some that look at their rankings and take them seriously.  MaxPreps has no idea who is good and who isn't, it goes off records.
It's probably no better than another service that ranks them without seeing all the different team's. It's for fun, the only thing you can control is winning your own classification, everything else is just for debate. Now, if a team has played and beat some of the other winners of their classification, then they may have a legitimate stance on being the best.

T-Bone

Quote from: dirtbagbaseball on April 28, 2017, 11:38:39 am
Are you winning or being the underdog, or the kids playing the game?  ;)

Excellent point and you are correct.  The players are the ones doing the work.  I am only in for the ride good or bad. 

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on April 28, 2017, 05:42:29 pm
Excellent point and you are correct.  The players are the ones doing the work.  I am only in for the ride good or bad.

The ride is always good, some don't end up at the destination one wishes, but ride is always fun, especially from the the players viewpoint.

blue4hire

At least MaxPreps acknowledges that baseball actually exists and attempts to rank teams, unlike the demazette.

T-Bone

Quote from: blue4hire on April 30, 2017, 12:21:19 pm
At least MaxPreps acknowledges that baseball actually exists and attempts to rank teams, unlike the demazette.

That is true.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas