• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Classification Numbers

Started by Nomad1324, April 25, 2017, 08:40:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 03, 2017, 10:43:48 am
???

Why the heck would Star City want that when right now their longest road game is barely over an hour drive!

Yeah, that makes no sense. Stuttgart will be in the 8-4A replacing Dollarway.

GuvHog

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 03, 2017, 10:53:32 am
Yeah, that makes no sense. Stuttgart will be in the 8-4A replacing Dollarway.

It actually makes perfect sense because placing HWH in the 4A-2 gives them some ridiculously long drives to Bald Knob, Riverview, and Heber Springs. Star City is much closer to those schools than HWH is.

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on May 03, 2017, 11:57:18 am
It actually makes perfect sense because placing HWH in the 4A-2 gives them some ridiculously long drives to Bald Knob, Riverview, and Heber Springs. Star City is much closer to those schools than HWH is.

Then why Star City and not Stuttgart? Except for Heber Springs the travel on HWH wouldn't be the worst in the world.

SUGARTOWN

Actually it's not. HWH to Bald Knob is 102 miles, Star City to BK is 125 miles....HWH to Searcy is 109 miles, SC to Searcy is 115 miles...HWH to Heber is 137 miles, SC to Heber is 128.

GuvHog

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 03, 2017, 12:17:23 pm
Actually it's not. HWH to Bald Knob is 102 miles, Star City to BK is 125 miles....HWH to Searcy is 109 miles, SC to Searcy is 115 miles...HWH to Heber is 137 miles, SC to Heber is 128.

But for HWH, drives to Stuttgart and Dewitt would be better than drives to any of the 4A-2 schools. If HWH is placed in the 4A-8, some of the schools would be closer to them. In the 4A-2, the shortest drive HWH would have is to Lonoke and the rest would be to LR or farther. Both DeWitt and Stuttgart are closer to HWH than any of the 4A-2 schools are.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: GuvHog on May 03, 2017, 12:44:12 pm
But for HWH, drives to Stuttgart and Dewitt would be better than drives to any of the 4A-2 schools. If HWH is placed in the 4A-8, some of the schools would be closer to them. In the 4A-2, the shortest drive HWH would have is to Lonoke and the rest would be to LR or farther. Both DeWitt and Stuttgart are closer to HWH than any of the 4A-2 schools are.

I thought they should be in the 8-4A a few years ago, but over Dollarway, not Star City. The other teams in the 8 didn't want that however. They'll stay in the 2 and Stuttgart will move to the 8 more than likely.

HWH will have long travel no matter where they go anyway being that they are on the border.

arthurhawgerelli

Y'all need to go to the Monday Morning QB section and look at the proposal the superintendents will be given next week.  It completely changes things. 

6A is the top 16; 5A is the next 32; 4A is the next 48; 3A is the next 48, 2A is the next 48; 1A is what is left

SUGARTOWN

May 03, 2017, 02:23:43 pm #57 Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:26:56 pm by SUGARTOWN
Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on May 03, 2017, 02:00:44 pm
Y'all need to go to the Monday Morning QB section and look at the proposal the superintendents will be given next week.  It completely changes things. 

6A is the top 16; 5A is the next 32; 4A is the next 48; 3A is the next 48, 2A is the next 48; 1A is what is left

I was under the impression that this proposal was going to be for the NEXT cycle, not '18-'20. Maybe I was misinformed.

GuvHog

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on May 03, 2017, 02:00:44 pm

That's for all sports EXCEPT football. The classifications will stay the same for football.

westhelena1

Helena-West Helena should be allowed to stay in the 4A-2

Eddie Goodson

4+ hour bus rides between HWH and Crossett for conference play didn't make sense for the nearly 10 years we had to do it and it doesn't make sense now. Stuttgart makes the most sense but Mills will not be the end of the world since it is south LR. Frankly, if HWH is moved, they should sue.

GuvHog

May 03, 2017, 08:25:26 pm #61 Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:33:49 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: Eddie Goodson on May 03, 2017, 05:37:26 pm
4+ hour bus rides between HWH and Crossett for conference play didn't make sense for the nearly 10 years we had to do it and it doesn't make sense now. Stuttgart makes the most sense but Mills will not be the end of the world since it is south LR. Frankly, if HWH is moved, they should sue.

A Helena-West Helena 4+ hour bus ride to Batesville Southside and vise-versa doesn't make any sense either. In 4A-2, HWH would have at least a 3 hour drive for every one of their away games. That would not be the case if they were placed in 4A-8.

westhelena1

Travel would be a lot worse for us in the 4A-8. We need to be left in the 4A-2.

Romeo

I think tradition also plays a factor in aligning conferences. Star City has been in the 8-4A forever, which is why they likely wouldn't move. This is also the reason why Prairie Grove probably won't go to the 4-4A.

HorseFeathers

Tradition was there excuse for having fouke and Genoa central traveling cross the state for conference instead of to 3a-5 when denying their conference appeal last year

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: GuvHog on May 03, 2017, 03:10:41 pm
That's for all sports EXCEPT football. The classifications will stay the same for football.

I don't think that's entirely accurate.  I believe the football conferencing will come from this, and then the other sports' local conferencing will be worked out.  It's all so "secretive" you could be correct, though.

Eaglemaniac

And HWH is close to Crossett, Warren, Monticello and Hamburg? I would rather drive to Little Rock to play Mills than drive to HWH any day!!

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on May 04, 2017, 09:41:38 am
I don't think that's entirely accurate.  I believe the football conferencing will come from this, and then the other sports' local conferencing will be worked out.  It's all so "secretive" you could be correct, though.

Guvhog is correct.  The numbers just released deal with football.  The new proposal, if passed, will only affect those sports that are not football.

GuvHog

May 04, 2017, 03:33:45 pm #68 Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:40:29 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: Eaglemaniac on May 04, 2017, 01:16:46 pm
And HWH is close to Crossett, Warren, Monticello and Hamburg? I would rather drive to Little Rock to play Mills than drive to HWH any day!!

1 long drive every other year won't hurt you.

If HWH was placed in the 4A-2, they would have at least 3 or 4 drives of at least 3 hours every year. That makes no sense at all.

Big Fan

Grand Prairie

Helena is going to have a crappy travel schedule, regardless.

That being said, Stuttgart is moving to the 4A-8. If it doesn't happen it will be a shock.

Bald Knob and Mills will go in the 4A-2.

Personally, I like it. Stuttgart fits better in the 8 traditionally. Plus the travel is a push in either conference.

Stuttgart will try to get Lonoke as a non-conference permanent.

Will make for great football on Friday nights.   

GuvHog

Quote from: Grand Prairie on May 05, 2017, 01:59:13 pm
Helena is going to have a crappy travel schedule, regardless.

That being said, Stuttgart is moving to the 4A-8. If it doesn't happen it will be a shock.

Bald Knob and Mills will go in the 4A-2.

Personally, I like it. Stuttgart fits better in the 8 traditionally. Plus the travel is a push in either conference.

Stuttgart will try to get Lonoke as a non-conference permanent.

Will make for great football on Friday nights.   

Yeah Helena is going to have a crappy travel schedule but it would be far less crappy for them if they were placed in the 4A-8 with Stuttgart, Dewitt, and Dumas.

FootBallar21

One of the biggest things, seems to be Mena again,  they have stayed in 4-A for along time now,  but seem to get bounced back and forth between the 4-4A and 7-4A pretty regularly on these realignments.    They have held their own at times in the 7-4A but never been able to get past Nashville  but have become pretty regular back in the playoffs and have more then held their own with Malvern and Arkadelphia.   But now they move back to the 4-4A a conference they have enjoyed a lot more success over the years.    Should be a fun and more successful next 3 football seasons for the Bearcats.   And that is taking nothing away from Ozark , Pottsville or Dardanelle, all talents programs ,   they just aren't,  CAC , Nashville, Malvern, Robinson, Malvern, Arkadelphia,  and Ashdown,  all teams that have regularly over the past been in the 7-4A with Mena some at different times of course!     

Gray lizard

Here is an idea.  Why not do a 5A/4A/3A combined season much like the basketball was.  Play the closest schools to your town in a 10 game season.  Then just flip a coin for playoff bracket.  It worked so well for basketball did it not.

Atkins
Charleston
Clarksville
Dardanelle
Dover
Morrilton
Ozark
Paris
Pottsville
Subiaco

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Gray lizard on May 16, 2017, 11:22:38 am
Here is an idea.  Why not do a 5A/4A/3A combined season much like the basketball was.  Play the closest schools to your town in a 10 game season.  Then just flip a coin for playoff bracket.  It worked so well for basketball did it not.

Atkins
Charleston
Clarksville
Dardanelle
Dover
Morrilton
Ozark
Paris
Pottsville
Subiaco

That would be interesting. Stuttgart's would look something like this:

Watson Chapel
White Hall
Dollarway
DeWitt
Star City
Marianna
Lonoke
CAC
Baptist Prep
LR Mills

GuvHog

Quote from: Gray lizard on May 16, 2017, 11:22:38 am

Atkins
Charleston
Clarksville
Dardanelle
Dover
Morrilton
Ozark
Paris
Pottsville
Subiaco

Apparently not because they are about to vote to change the classifications and conferences for every sport except football.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: GuvHog on May 16, 2017, 03:53:27 pm
Apparently not because they are about to vote to change the classifications and conferences for every sport except football.

Football may be changing in a few years as well.

GuvHog

May 16, 2017, 04:19:47 pm #77 Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:23:53 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 16, 2017, 04:04:55 pm
Football may be changing in a few years as well.

I doubt it. The majority of the schools seem to like the football set up the way it is. That's why it wasn't included in the latest proposal. They tried blending the 6A and 7A conferences for regular season football play then splitting them for playoffs a few years back and it was a disaster.

Gray lizard

I wish they could do something about the travel at least for 7th grade and JR high.  I know it is important to have equal teams for competition, but driving almost two hours for a 7 grade game seems way to far.

GuvHog

Quote from: Gray lizard on May 16, 2017, 04:50:38 pm
I wish they could do something about the travel at least for 7th grade and JR high.  I know it is important to have equal teams for competition, but driving almost two hours for a 7 grade game seems way to far.

Aren't 7th grade games generally on Saturdays?? Why would traveling 2 hours on a Saturday be an issue??

beach bum

Quote from: GuvHog on May 18, 2017, 04:05:56 pm
Aren't 7th grade games generally on Saturdays?? Why would traveling 2 hours on a Saturday be an issue??

I can't speak for the largest classifications, but 7th grade games are on Thursdays before the JH game. There might be a jamboree or two on a Saturday but the majority of their games are right before the JH game.

GuvHog

Quote from: beach bum on May 18, 2017, 04:09:59 pm
I can't speak for the largest classifications, but 7th grade games are on Thursdays before the JH game. There might be a jamboree or two on a Saturday but the majority of their games are right before the JH game.

At Watson Chapel, the 8th grade team plays on Thursday  nights before the Junior High team does and the 7th grade team plays on Saturdays.

I guess it varies.

beach bum

Quote from: GuvHog on May 18, 2017, 04:17:05 pm
At Watson Chapel, the 8th grade team plays on Thursday  nights before the Junior High team does and the 7th grade team plays on Saturdays.

I guess it varies.

I had even kind of had a feeling that the 6A and 7A schools might play some 7th grade games on the weekend and thought maybe even 5A like you guys do then.... I think in the smaller classifications I can only make a guess it is for the sake of there might only be 3 or 4 coaches total and that would be 3 days playing games so maybe they want to play 7th the same night as JH. That would be just my guess is for simplicity sake for the coaches in the smaller classifications.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on May 18, 2017, 04:22:59 pm
I had even kind of had a feeling that the 6A and 7A schools might play some 7th grade games on the weekend and thought maybe even 5A like you guys do then.... I think in the smaller classifications I can only make a guess it is for the sake of there might only be 3 or 4 coaches total and that would be 3 days playing games so maybe they want to play 7th the same night as JH. That would be just my guess is for simplicity sake for the coaches in the smaller classifications.

Smaller classes don't always have a 7th 8th and 9th grade teams....from my experiences it's 7th grade and a 8th-9th grade junior high team

AT

Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 18, 2017, 08:00:47 pm
Smaller classes don't always have a 7th 8th and 9th grade teams....from my experiences it's 7th grade and a 8th-9th grade junior high team

From my experience at a 2A School, this is exactly right.

A good 7th grader will play up with the 8th and 9th graders, too, so that's not really set in stone either. Really in small schools, the junior high team is usually the best of your 7th-9th graders and then a 7th grade team can even have 8th graders on it.

SUGARTOWN

June 07, 2017, 12:44:20 pm #85 Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:46:07 pm by SUGARTOWN
AAA workshop news:

Helena-West Helena to 8-4A
Mills to 2-4A
Harmony Grove to 7-4A

This is great news indeed.

Mr. Mercer

When will all the offical conferences be released?

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Mr. Mercer on June 07, 2017, 01:09:55 pm
When will all the offical conferences be released?

They are done. As far as I know. They are working on finishing touches.

Stay tuned shortly.

SUGARTOWN

CLASS 4A
1-4A: Berryville, Gentry, Gravette, Green Forest, Lincoln, Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove, Shiloh Christian
2-4A: Bald Knob, Central Arkansas Christian, Heber Springs, Lonoke, Mills, Riverview, Southside Batesville, Stuttgart
3-4A: Brookland, Cave City, Gosnell, Highland, Jonesboro Westside, Pocahontas, Rivercrest, Trumann
4-4A: Dardanelle, Dover, Elkins, Mena, Ozark, Pottsville, Subiaco Academy, Waldron
7-4A: Arkadelphia, Ashdown, Bauxite, Benton Harmony Grove, Fountain Lake, Joe T. Robinson, Malvern, Nashville
8-4A: Crossett, DeWitt, Dumas, Hamburg, Helena-West Helena, Monticello, Star City, Warren

CLASS 7A
7A-CENTRAL: Bryant, Cabot, Little Rock Catholic, Little Rock Central, Conway, Fort Smith Northside, Fort Smith Southside, North Little Rock
7A-WEST: Bentonville, Bentonville West, Fayetteville, Rogers, Rogers Heritage, Springdale, Springdale Har-Ber, Van Buren

CLASS 6A
6A-EAST: Jacksonville, Jonesboro, Marion, Mountain Home, Pine Bluff, Sylvan Hills, West Memphis
6A-WEST: Benton, El Dorado, Greenwood, Lake Hamilton, Little Rock Hall, Russellville, Sheridan, Siloam Springs

CLASS 5A
5A-EAST: Batesville, Blytheville, Forrest City, Greene County Tech, Nettleton, Paragould, Valley View, Wynne
5A-WEST: Alma, Clarksville, Farmington, Greenbrier, Harrison, Huntsville, Morrilton, Vilonia
5A-CENTRAL: Beebe, Little Rock Christian, Little Rock Fair, Little Rock Parkview, Maumelle, Pulaski Academy, Watson Chapel, White Hall
5A-SOUTH: Camden Fairview, De Queen, Hope, Hot Springs, Hot Springs Lakeside, Little Rock McClellan, Magnolia, Texarkana

CLASS 3A
1-3A: Booneville, Cedarville, Charleston, Greenland, Lamar, Mansfield, Paris, West Fork
2-3A: Cedar Ridge, Clinton, Harding Academy, Marshall, Melbourne, Mountain View, Rose Bud, Yellville-Summit
3-3A: Corning, Harrisburg, Hoxie, Manila, Newport, Osceola, Piggott, Walnut Ridge
4-3A: Atkins, Baptist Prep, Danville, Glen Rose, Jessieville, Mayflower, Perryville, Two Rivers
5-3A: Bismarck, Camden Harmony Grove, Centerpoint, Fouke, Genoa Central, Horatio, Prescott, Smackover
6-3A: Barton, Drew Central, Episcopal Collegiate, Lake Village, McGehee, Palestine-Wheatley, Pine Bluff Dollarway, Rison

CLASS 2A
3-2A: Augusta, Cross County, East Poinsett County, Marked Tree, McCrory, Midland, Rector, Salem
4-2A: Decatur, Hackett, Hector, Johnson County Westside, Lavaca, Magazine, Mountainburg, Western Yell County
5-2A: Bigelow, Conway Christian, Cutter Morning Star, England, Magnet Cove, Mountain Pine, Poyen, Quitman
6-2A: Brinkley, Carlisle, Clarendon, Des Arc, Earle, Hazen, Marianna, Marvell
7-2A: Dierks, Foreman, Gurdon, Lafayette County, Mineral Springs, Mount Ida, Murfreesboro, Spring Hill
8-2A: Bearden, Fordyce, Hampton, Hermitage, Junction City, Parkers Chapel, Strong, Woodlawn

beach bum

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on June 07, 2017, 01:38:25 pm
CLASS 4A
1-4A: Berryville, Gentry, Gravette, Green Forest, Lincoln, Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove, Shiloh Christian
2-4A: Bald Knob, Central Arkansas Christian, Heber Springs, Lonoke, Mills, Riverview, Southside Batesville, Stuttgart
3-4A: Brookland, Cave City, Gosnell, Highland, Jonesboro Westside, Pocahontas, Rivercrest, Trumann
4-4A: Dardanelle, Dover, Elkins, Mena, Ozark, Pottsville, Subiaco Academy, Waldron
7-4A: Arkadelphia, Ashdown, Bauxite, Benton Harmony Grove, Fountain Lake, Joe T. Robinson, Malvern, Nashville
8-4A: Crossett, DeWitt, Dumas, Hamburg, Helena-West Helena, Monticello, Star City, Warren

CLASS 7A
7A-CENTRAL: Bryant, Cabot, Little Rock Catholic, Little Rock Central, Conway, Fort Smith Northside, Fort Smith Southside, North Little Rock
7A-WEST: Bentonville, Bentonville West, Fayetteville, Rogers, Rogers Heritage, Springdale, Springdale Har-Ber, Van Buren

CLASS 6A
6A-EAST: Jacksonville, Jonesboro, Marion, Mountain Home, Pine Bluff, Sylvan Hills, West Memphis
6A-WEST: Benton, El Dorado, Greenwood, Lake Hamilton, Little Rock Hall, Russellville, Sheridan, Siloam Springs

CLASS 5A
5A-EAST: Batesville, Blytheville, Forrest City, Greene County Tech, Nettleton, Paragould, Valley View, Wynne
5A-WEST: Alma, Clarksville, Farmington, Greenbrier, Harrison, Huntsville, Morrilton, Vilonia
5A-CENTRAL: Beebe, Little Rock Christian, Little Rock Fair, Little Rock Parkview, Maumelle, Pulaski Academy, Watson Chapel, White Hall
5A-SOUTH: Camden Fairview, De Queen, Hope, Hot Springs, Hot Springs Lakeside, Little Rock McClellan, Magnolia, Texarkana

CLASS 3A
1-3A: Booneville, Cedarville, Charleston, Greenland, Lamar, Mansfield, Paris, West Fork
2-3A: Cedar Ridge, Clinton, Harding Academy, Marshall, Melbourne, Mountain View, Rose Bud, Yellville-Summit
3-3A: Corning, Harrisburg, Hoxie, Manila, Newport, Osceola, Piggott, Walnut Ridge
4-3A: Atkins, Baptist Prep, Danville, Glen Rose, Jessieville, Mayflower, Perryville, Two Rivers
5-3A: Bismarck, Camden Harmony Grove, Centerpoint, Fouke, Genoa Central, Horatio, Prescott, Smackover
6-3A: Barton, Drew Central, Episcopal Collegiate, Lake Village, McGehee, Palestine-Wheatley, Pine Bluff Dollarway, Rison

CLASS 2A
3-2A: Augusta, Cross County, East Poinsett County, Marked Tree, McCrory, Midland, Rector, Salem
4-2A: Decatur, Hackett, Hector, Johnson County Westside, Lavaca, Magazine, Mountainburg, Western Yell County
5-2A: Bigelow, Conway Christian, Cutter Morning Star, England, Magnet Cove, Mountain Pine, Poyen, Quitman
6-2A: Brinkley, Carlisle, Clarendon, Des Arc, Earle, Hazen, Marianna, Marvell
7-2A: Dierks, Foreman, Gurdon, Lafayette County, Mineral Springs, Mount Ida, Murfreesboro, Spring Hill
8-2A: Bearden, Fordyce, Hampton, Hermitage, Junction City, Parkers Chapel, Strong, Woodlawn

Thank you Sugartown!! Always fun to see the new conferences out!

westhelena1

LC sports

Quote from: beach bum on June 07, 2017, 01:40:06 pm
Thank you Sugartown!! Always fun to see the new conferences out!
where did these numbers come from? I haven't seen them on the AAA website and/or twitters from them. Thanks

prHOG13

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: LC sports on June 07, 2017, 04:12:01 pm
where did these numbers come from? I haven't seen them on the AAA website and/or twitters from them. Thanks

I got them from Jeremy Muck (Dem-Gaz) on Twitter who was at the AAA meetings today.

Romeo

Good news for Stuttgart. They avoid you know who and continue to play in an easier division. Bad news for West Helena. Other than DeWitt, their closest 8-4A trip will be Dumas, which is roughly 1 hr 40 min away. Every other trip will be at least 2 hours and more.

AirWarren

FootBallar21

Mena instantly becomes a contender again in the 4-4A   

beach bum

Quote from: FootBallar21 on June 08, 2017, 09:18:25 am
Mena instantly becomes a contender again in the 4-4A

It does help when they go from the best or 2nd best conference to the worst or 2nd worst....

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Pottsville and Dardanelle are better then they were when last time Mena was in this conference. Did Mena get a new coach this year or was that awhile ago?

beach bum

Quote from: (((Subi2Sweet))) on June 08, 2017, 10:00:33 am
Pottsville and Dardanelle are better then they were when last time Mena was in this conference. Did Mena get a new coach this year or was that awhile ago?

Pottsville is not as good as a few years ago when they had that Perry kid at QB and Dardanelle will not sustain being a top 7 or 8 program in the state forever. Booneville would have been top dog in this league had they stayed 4A moving forward. That shows you how good they will be in 3A as well as how down the 4-4A is going to be moving forward....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas