• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6A conference district seeding

Started by ricepig, April 20, 2017, 08:21:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Anyone know when they are meeting to decide on the seedings for the conference tournaments? Also, I never figured out was considered conference games or not this year. I know in basketball they played a round robin, but they haven't played a full round robin in baseball.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on April 20, 2017, 08:21:34 pm
Anyone know when they are meeting to decide on the seedings for the conference tournaments? Also, I never figured out was considered conference games or not this year. I know in basketball they played a round robin, but they haven't played a full round robin in baseball.

Meeting to decide who is better than who for seeding is nuts.  Whomever has the best pull wins.  Good or bad your record should reward you if a good year. 

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on April 20, 2017, 09:30:13 pm
Meeting to decide who is better than who for seeding is nuts.  Whomever has the best pull wins.  Good or bad your record should reward you if a good year.

Not really any other option in the present setup, I expect a change for the next cycle.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on April 20, 2017, 09:57:16 pm
Not really any other option in the present setup, I expect a change for the next cycle.

I do not like this setup at all and feel many do not.  But I am only one person and I don't count in this.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on April 21, 2017, 12:38:42 pm
I do not like this setup at all and feel many do not.  But I am only one person and I don't count in this.

There will be a change next cycle for all sports but football, would be my guess.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: T-Bone on April 21, 2017, 12:38:42 pm

A lot of coaches feel this way too.  The blended conferences mean nothing, and a team's entire season rests on one game.  A team with 1 or 2 wins could potentially get a state tournament berth, and it shouldn't be like that.  I much prefer the old way the 5A did it - you play each team twice, and the 4 best go to state. 

ricepig

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on April 21, 2017, 03:08:42 pm
A lot of coaches feel this way too.  The blended conferences mean nothing, and a team's entire season rests on one game.  A team with 1 or 2 wins could potentially get a state tournament berth, and it shouldn't be like that.  I much prefer the old way the 5A did it - you play each team twice, and the 4 best go to state.

Well, actually two games in some conferences.

mlrfo4

Officially meet tomorrow. Sounds like seedings are already set.

ricepig

Quote from: mlrfo4 on April 22, 2017, 11:31:44 pm

Good, those are the best kind of meetings.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on April 23, 2017, 06:40:33 am
Good, those are the best kind of meetings.

I am thinking that was a joke.  I would hate to deal with people mad because of where they were ranked.  I do not understand the entire process so I probably shouldn't say much but if my understanding is correct this method is nuts.  Much like common core math.  Wonder if the people that came up with this method also created common core math?
Am I wrong by saying they all get to vote on it then if someone doesn't like where they are placed then they can complain and possibly motivate enough others to get moved from where they were originally placed due to the original votes? 

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on April 23, 2017, 08:35:23 am
I am thinking that was a joke.  I would hate to deal with people mad because of where they were ranked.  I do not understand the entire process so I probably shouldn't say much but if my understanding is correct this method is nuts.  Much like common core math.  Wonder if the people that came up with this method also created common core math?
Am I wrong by saying they all get to vote on it then if someone doesn't like where they are placed then they can complain and possibly motivate enough others to get moved from where they were originally placed due to the original votes?

No joke at all, it's pretty clear on the order of the teams this year, although 2 of them don't play a DH until Tuesday. The problem would occur if you had several teams, all with the same resume.

ricepig

Quote from: mlrfo4 on April 22, 2017, 11:31:44 pm

You care to give your unofficial guess? After Jonesboro first, and Hall at #8, it seems fairly even, with WM/Marion and Searcy/MH playing DH's on Tuesday after the seeding, lol.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on April 23, 2017, 10:09:48 am
You care to give your unofficial guess? After Jonesboro first, and Hall at #8, it seems fairly even, with WM/Marion and Searcy/MH playing DH's on Tuesday after the seeding, lol.

Yes I agree they are set but the meeting they have could possibly change it.  Not likely but could.  Depends on how some feel about the original seeding and how good of an argument they have to change it. 

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on April 23, 2017, 11:00:43 am
Yes I agree they are set but the meeting they have could possibly change it.  Not likely but could.  Depends on how some feel about the original seeding and how good of an argument they have to change it.

The cream always rises to the top, just like in volleyball and basketball. The goal is to finish in the top two in order to get a bye, so you were going to have to play good anyway. I'm not sure where you want to be there, it'll probably be Greenwood with Noland, or Sheridan.

mlrfo4

Quote from: ricepig on April 23, 2017, 10:09:48 am

Searcy 2 West Memphis 3 Pine Bluff 4 Jacksonville 5 Marion 6 MH 7........unconfirmed of course

ricepig

Quote from: mlrfo4 on April 23, 2017, 02:19:01 pm
Searcy 2 West Memphis 3 Pine Bluff 4 Jacksonville 5 Marion 6 MH 7........unconfirmed of course

Well, besides the DH's this week that could really alter those thoughts, that seems close and reasonable. I guess it didn't make sense putting what few true 6A games you have, after the decision date. I understand with tournament play starting Saturday, you needed to get something on paper.

mlrfo4

Seeding is complete. Jonesboro vs Hall,  Searcy vs MH, West Memphis vs Marion, Pine Bluff vs Jacksonville

ricepig

Quote from: mlrfo4 on April 23, 2017, 06:25:07 pm
Seeding is complete. Jonesboro vs Hall,  Searcy vs MH, West Memphis vs Marion, Pine Bluff vs Jacksonville

Seriously?? I guess you save ace for Saturday, lol.

RedLion

Game dates and times? Highest seed gets game at home??

mlrfo4

Quote from: ricepig on April 23, 2017, 07:15:09 pm
Seriously?? I guess you save ace for Saturday, lol.

Searcy/MH Friday, 2nd round game (win or lose) Tuesday

mlrfo4

Quote from: RedLion on April 23, 2017, 07:33:23 pm
Game dates and times? Highest seed gets game at home??

Yes higher seed is home

ricepig

Quote from: mlrfo4 on April 23, 2017, 07:35:51 pm
Searcy/MH Friday, 2nd round game (win or lose) Tuesday

Have they moved all the games to Friday? I know at one time it was Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday.

RedLion

West Memphis tweeted they play Marion Saturday.

ricepig

Quote from: RedLion on April 23, 2017, 08:13:13 pm
West Memphis tweeted they play Marion Saturday.

Ok, I figured they'd want everyone to play on the same days to keep the rest/intervals the same between games.

RedLion

Saturday Proms seem to have prevailed over baseball

ricepig

Quote from: RedLion on April 23, 2017, 08:53:38 pm
Saturday Proms seem to have prevailed over baseball

Ah, yes, several will be played on Friday. A lot more money spent on prom, than baseball!

Redwolves8526

How they already have seeding done before the conference seeding is even over is beyond me.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 24, 2017, 11:00:32 am
How they already have seeding done before the conference seeding is even over is beyond me.

Maybe there are contingencies in place, like a potential to move teams around depending on results.  Or maybe those results won't affect the current seeding.  Who knows, nothing about the blended conferences makes any sense, and then to have the 'real' conferences decide seeds on a case-by-case basis makes even less sense.  This may be one of the worst ideas the AAA has come up with, and there have been some pretty bad ideas.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on April 24, 2017, 12:03:04 pm
Maybe there are contingencies in place, like a potential to move teams around depending on results.  Or maybe those results won't affect the current seeding.  Who knows, nothing about the blended conferences makes any sense, and then to have the 'real' conferences decide seeds on a case-by-case basis makes even less sense.  This may be one of the worst ideas the AAA has come up with, and there have been some pretty bad ideas.

Well, right now, in the 5A-6A East, Marion is in a tie with Nettleton and West Memphis for 2nd place I believe. Maybe someone can correct me on that.

Marion was seeded 6th. West Memphis was 3rd.

Marion plays West Memphis tomorrow in a double header. If Marion wins, how are those seedings anywhere close to being right?

OB11

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 24, 2017, 12:10:47 pm
Well, right now, in the 5A-6A East, Marion is in a tie with Nettleton and West Memphis for 2nd place I believe. Maybe someone can correct me on that.

Marion plays West Memphis tomorrow in a double header. If Marion wins, how are those seedings anywhere close to being right?

With the way things are set up those seeds don't have to be "right". They just have to be what the coaches agree on when they walk out of the room. It's convoluted to say the least. It won't be like this for very long if I had to guess.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: OB11 on April 24, 2017, 12:42:24 pm
With the way things are set up those seeds don't have to be "right". They just have to be what the coaches agree on when they walk out of the room. It's convoluted to say the least. It won't be like this for very long if I had to guess.

I understand it is the coaches' decisions. But the fact that those meetings were held before the conference season was even over doesn't make much sense. There are big games this week for some teams who could have swayed those coaches' opinion and it definitely would affect seeding.

I also understand there is a time cringe and you want to have the games scheduled in advance, not just a couple of days. But more importantly, teams are fighting to keep their season alive. Seeding, playing home or away, etc all affect that.

ricepig

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 24, 2017, 12:10:47 pm

If everyone isn't playing everyone twice, then those W/L's aren't worth much, either. I think the only record that matters, should be the 6A teams against each other and the 5A likewise. Having said that, the seeding shouldn't have been done until these games were all played.

ricepig

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 24, 2017, 12:55:25 pm
I understand it is the coaches' decisions. But the fact that those meetings were held before the conference season was even over doesn't make much sense. There are big games this week for some teams who could have swayed those coaches' opinion and it definitely would affect seeding.

I also understand there is a time cringe and you want to have the games scheduled in advance, not just a couple of days. But more importantly, teams are fighting to keep their season alive. Seeding, playing home or away, etc all affect that.

I guess next year WM and Marn will play earlier......

Redwolves8526

Quote from: ricepig on April 24, 2017, 12:55:40 pm
If everyone isn't playing everyone twice, then those W/L's aren't worth much, either. I think the only record that matters, should be the 6A teams against each other and the 5A likewise. Having said that, the seeding shouldn't have been done until these games were all played.

So you would have elected to only count WM vs JB, Marion vs JB, and Marion vs WM games as your conference record?

OB11

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 24, 2017, 12:59:18 pm
So you would have elected to only count WM vs JB, Marion vs JB, and Marion vs WM games as your conference record?

That's pretty much how it was last year with Jonesboro, Marion, Searcy, and Mt. Home

ricepig

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 24, 2017, 12:59:18 pm

If you don't play a true round robin, then yes.

HUMBABE

It seems there are 2 goals for the Conference tournament:

1. Cull out the 2 weakest teams, which will be the 2 teams that go 0-2.
2. Seed the remaining 6 teams for the State tournament.  There will be 1 team at 3-0, 1 team at 2-1, and 4 teams at 1-1, assuming they do not play out the loser's bracket for 3rd place.  If regular season record doesn't matter, and the only criteria is how you finish in the Conference tournament, I wonder how they will break this 4-way tie?  Who's up for another vote of the coaches?

ricepig

Quote from: HUMBABE on April 24, 2017, 04:56:05 pm
It seems there are 2 goals for the Conference tournament:

1. Cull out the 2 weakest teams, which will be the 2 teams that go 0-2.
2. Seed the remaining 6 teams for the State tournament.  There will be 1 team at 3-0, 1 team at 2-1, and 4 teams at 1-1, assuming they do not play out the loser's bracket for 3rd place.  If regular season record doesn't matter, and the only criteria is how you finish in the Conference tournament, I wonder how they will break this 4-way tie?  Who's up for another vote of the coaches?

They'll play out the tournament to decide all 6 seeds, they did in volleyball and basketball.

ricepig

So, does the West have any teams interested in playing in the state tournament?   ;D

Redwolves8526

Quote from: ricepig on April 26, 2017, 04:54:58 pm
https://twitter.com/NWAGraham/status/857317351460655104

Did you get to see the VV-Sheridan game? After VV took that W, Im not so convinced that side is so strong. I know it's baseball, but was kind of surprised by that.

ricepig

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 27, 2017, 08:45:56 am
Did you get to see the VV-Sheridan game? After VV took that W, Im not so convinced that side is so strong. I know it's baseball, but was kind of surprised by that.

No, but I don't but much emphasis on those type of games. Sheridan has a couple of kids that are D-I quality, and have played a little tougher competition. Greenwood has Conner Noland, so they'll always be favored whenever he pitches, and Benton is always a good team. I'm just the opposite, I think our side is weak, haha.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 10:35:17 am
No, but I don't but much emphasis on those type of games. Sheridan has a couple of kids that are D-I quality, and have played a little tougher competition. Greenwood has Conner Noland, so they'll always be favored whenever he pitches, and Benton is always a good team. I'm just the opposite, I think our side is weak, haha.

I thought the same thing last year until 2 East teams were in the finals!

OB11

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 10:35:17 am

I would agree with that. I think the East is the weaker conference. But luckily it's the best team that wins and not the best conference. Lol

T-Bone

Both sides have good teams.  All teams can win or lose on any given day.  JHS can compete with anyone on some days while some days they seem to not be as competitive.  Same with many other teams on both sides.  This method of seeding was nuts.  I don't like it as I have mentioned before.  But it doesn't matter in the end.  What does matter is learning from the mistakes and competing from here on out in all games.  My idea situation at Baum is JHS and Sheridan.  But thoughts don't matter unless we compete at the highest level starting with todays game.  If all goes as planned next Tuesday game should be a good match up and a game to watch.

ricepig

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 27, 2017, 10:37:11 am
I thought the same thing last year until 2 East teams were in the finals!

The state tournament, at least up to the finals, is usually about pitching depth. The fact that MH was able to make it to the finals having to play three days in a row speaks volumes about a team that was less than stellar in the field, or at the plate. Will somebody do it again? Most everyone has an ace who can help keep you in one game, who has the other pitchers?

ricepig

ricepig

Redwolves8526

ricepig

So on Tuesday:

Jacksonville @ Jonesboro
MH @ Marion

WM @ Searcy
Hall @ PB

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas