• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Magnet Cove Open?

Started by Dr. Defense, March 28, 2017, 01:20:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gameoflife

You should always have a coach or ex coach on your hiring committee and they should be an ex football coach if its a football job, basketball if a basketball job and so on. 

panther_forever

Quote from: SR30 on April 16, 2017, 09:01:01 pm
I agree totally with Hogir.. I've never understood how you can prepare kids for a full contact sport when you go shoulder pads and helmet from the time you hit 7th grade until your last practice as a Panther. I know the AAA only allows a certain amount of days a week for full contact so you have to make the most of them. Teaching these boys to not go full speed and hit, only leads to them getting hurt. They don't know how to give a hit or take a hit. Hopefully this new guy will come in on fire and change it all. The real bad thing is throwing this young kids into the AD roll right off the bat to. He is going to be trying to implement his program and philosophy while trying to maintain the whole athletic dept as well. Should have left that with the principal for the first year..
Theres a lot of people wanting to quit and move schools bc of this bs

purpleswag

From what I can tell the problems within your school and your program isn't with who the committee hired but with the attitudes of the parents at home.

You should take a step back and realize what behavior you are modeling for your kids. You can't always change your circumstances in life but you can change your perspective of the circumstances.

You are saying its ok to run away from adversity instead of plowing through. You're creating an environment of mediocrity and raising a future that will not be able to handle tough times.

panther_forever

Quote from: purpleswag on April 17, 2017, 06:42:36 am
From what I can tell the problems within your school and your program isn't with who the committee hired but with the attitudes of the parents at home.

You should take a step back and realize what behavior you are modeling for your kids. You can't always change your circumstances in life but you can change your perspective of the circumstances.

You are saying its ok to run away from adversity instead of plowing through. You're creating an environment of mediocrity and raising a future that will not be able to handle tough times.
I am a student for magnet probably about to be an ex student and by them hiring him its a spit in our face and in coach goldens face, i also heard that he quit this morning so i know for a fact that a lot of kids not playing next year so good luck to the coach bc hes going to need it

Kraig Crist

Quote from: panther_forever on April 17, 2017, 08:06:19 am
I am a student for magnet probably about to be an ex student and by them hiring him its a spit in our face and in coach goldens face, i also heard that he quit this morning so i know for a fact that a lot of kids not playing next year so good luck to the coach bc hes going to need it

So your screen name is a lie?

purpleswag

Quote from: panther_forever on April 17, 2017, 08:06:19 am

Thank you for proving my point

panther_forever

Magneto

Shouldn't you be in class?  You probably wouldn't be eligible anyways since you spend all your time on here.

Kraig Crist

Magneto

Must be skipping English Lol 

Magneto

Heard the new guy will be on campus this week.  I'd like to see that in person!

Dr. Defense

+1 good post

twentyfour

panther_forever did Golden personally tell you he quit? Unless he did don't spread rumors

FBFan92

It's no secret why Vick Barrett stayed away from this job.  Definitely not worth the hassle!!!!! Dumpster Fire!!!!!

FisherOfMen11

It is easy to tell people to keep their feet in the fire but when its your feet it becomes much harder. Can you imagine being a junior or senior at MC busting your tail for that school for years. Then instead of getting the most qualified coach they could find they go the route they did. Now whether or not he can be a good coach at MC or not is yet to be seen but you have to go off of previous record until then. He has not proven anything til this point in time except he has like a 33% winning percentage. Whether it was from lack of talent, work ethic from kids, or coaching who knows it may not even be his fault and he may be a great coach. If I was a kid at MC I would find out what school he came from and start getting on the phone making calls or getting on social media to contact the kids in that area trying to figure out what kind of coach he is before I made the decision to move. However, you can not tell me that the coach they chose was the most qualified for the job or even in the top 3 as far as qualifications go which like some have said is a direct spit in the face to the coaches who are more qualified who applied, work there, and the kids who put their trust in the admin. IF I was a parent as of right now though I would definitely be VERY concerned. Now it looks like they could be getting to hire some new assistants. New coach/AD with new assistants could be EXTREMELY tough for a veteran coach. Hope it works out though and I wish the new coach the BEST of luck. Either gonna be a lot of crow eaten or a lot of I told you so's come mid october.

SR30

Quote from: FisherOfMen11 on April 17, 2017, 09:40:34 am
It is easy to tell people to keep their feet in the fire but when its your feet it becomes much harder. Can you imagine being a junior or senior at MC busting your tail for that school for years. Then instead of getting the most qualified coach they could find they go the route they did. Now whether or not he can be a good coach at MC or not is yet to be seen but you have to go off of previous record until then. He has not proven anything til this point in time except he has like a 33% winning percentage. Whether it was from lack of talent, work ethic from kids, or coaching who knows it may not even be his fault and he may be a great coach. If I was a kid at MC I would find out what school he came from and start getting on the phone making calls or getting on social media to contact the kids in that area trying to figure out what kind of coach he is before I made the decision to move. However, you can not tell me that the coach they chose was the most qualified for the job or even in the top 3 as far as qualifications go which like some have said is a direct spit in the face to the coaches who are more qualified who applied, work there, and the kids who put their trust in the admin. IF I was a parent as of right now though I would definitely be VERY concerned. Now it looks like they could be getting to hire some new assistants. New coach/AD with new assistants could be EXTREMELY tough for a veteran coach. Hope it works out though and I wish the new coach the BEST of luck. Either gonna be a lot of crow eaten or a lot of I told you so's come mid october.

+1

purpleswag

Quote from: FisherOfMen11 on April 17, 2017, 09:40:34 am

Has it been proven that the hire was a buddy system situation?? From what I have read on here it hasn't. So maybe they hired the guy they thought was best for the position.

I just don't see the motivation for the committee to hire some guy that is terrible. If it turns out to be some shady deal then the admin should be removed from their positions.

However, I do feel that the uproar over what is perceived to be an unfair hiring is a bit ridiculous at this point. I liken this form of thinking to that of the people moving to Canada if Trump won the presidency.

FisherOfMen11

April 17, 2017, 10:36:15 am #467 Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 10:49:07 am by FisherOfMen11
Quote from: purpleswag on April 17, 2017, 10:27:43 am
Has it been proven that the hire was a buddy system situation?? From what I have read on here it hasn't. So maybe they hired the guy they thought was best for the position.

I just don't see the motivation for the committee to hire some guy that is terrible. If it turns out to be some shady deal then the admin should be removed from their positions.

However, I do feel that the uproar over what is perceived to be an unfair hiring is a bit ridiculous at this point. I liken this form of thinking to that of the people moving to Canada if Trump won the presidency.

Never said it was shady but it IS known that there were more qualified coaches who applied. Now he could have been what they thought was the best hire, though my point was he was not the most qualified. Like I said though I hope he does great at MC and I wish him the best of luck but I can clearly see both sides of the fence here. Though I love young coaches getting their start and always wish them the best of luck, I can see where parents and students could be concerned and why current coaches could be upset. Now when they meet he may immediately win them over and start the train rollin  down the tracks which is what the program needs. Though current coaches are upset they have to ask themselves if they are going to stay and help this kid and stay and be loyal to the kids they currently have been coaching. I will say with all the undermining supposedly going on within the coaching staff the past few years I do not think this will help the situation at all. If the new coach does not prove himself after week 3 I would imagine the assistants will start undermining and taking over if it does not happen before then. Just a really tough situation for all involved. Hope the new coach comes in with fire and brimstone though and never checks up and everyone gets on board and they start rolling!!

Kraig Crist

My biggest question is this: Who were the other coaches interviewed and what was their qualifications? If we are going off HC experience, I know one who had won 1 title as an OC and is coaching at school that is playing for titles year in and out. How do you hire a 24 year old kid over that?

Just because the AD at Fayettville was your HC doesn't make you the most qualified applicant.

But as someone who would like to see the panthers succeed, You kids need to suck it up and decide if you want to let your PPRD or hit the road. It's easy to talk smack on here but this new guy may be couting on you the last friday in august.

FisherOfMen11

Exactly. Ultimately no matter who the coach is the players have the ultimate decision as to how good they will be. Does not matter if it is this new coach or Nick Saban at the head if players dont bust their butt trying to be the best they can they will never be successful. Also it has been mentioned about the lack of work in the summers the past few years but did you see the team captains and leaders on the off days getting groups together and running, working out, practicing technique, etc??? If a program relies solely on a coach to turn things around they will be disappointed every time.

SR30

Fisher I agree to an extent on the team members have to put in work to get better and to determine how they will play
However how many of us can sit here and say if our boss told us we didn't have to work for 2 months with no repercussions  but would still get our paychecks, would you show up? That ultimately is the same thing. Don't show up for summer workouts but your still gonna get to play on Friday.  I've seen it in person at MC. No set workout schedule in the weightroom. Then when kids to show up to workout there is no adult supervision. Coaches sit in the office or do other things during this time. To me that is a huge liability. What if your kiddo was in there and got hurt. Who would help him? The coaches have to hold the kids accountable for doing the work but the kids have to hold the coach accountable for leadership, safety and guidance.

FisherOfMen11

Well if I am still going to get my paycheck and its the same im gonna go fishing for 2 months. But the difference is the kids final results in wins and losses probably hinge on the work they do in off season. Now if they are going to win 5 games regardless then yea why work out? But if it could mean the difference in a few close games and maybe win 8 games instead. Playing time for starters and leaders should not be incentive but winning should be. Like I said at some point the players have to get hacked and tired of loosing and their motivation needs to be war memorial at the end of the season every year. Your never going to be s champion unless you strive to be one and work like one. It is a shame that coaches do kids like that though. If you are lazy and dont want to work like that then why do it? Maybe this young coach will at least have fire and want to work.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: FisherOfMen11 on April 17, 2017, 11:11:57 am
Exactly. Ultimately no matter who the coach is the players have the ultimate decision as to how good they will be. Does not matter if it is this new coach or Nick Saban at the head if players dont bust their butt trying to be the best they can they will never be successful. Also it has been mentioned about the lack of work in the summers the past few years but did you see the team captains and leaders on the off days getting groups together and running, working out, practicing technique, etc??? If a program relies solely on a coach to turn things around they will be disappointed every time.
So heart determines winning and coaching doesn't matter? It's whoever wants it the most?

footballfan-tastic

Sounds like MC is in for a long long season with the problems that exist.  If the community is as unhappy in reality as it seems on here, then the parents need to go to the school leadership and demand answers to questions.  IF they don't like the answers or the leadership they are entitled to change it at the ballot box when they vote for school board and when the board chooses the super and the principals.  It seems the wishes of the community are at odds with the school leaders but frankly that is not all that uncommon.  The buddy system, the "I want to all ways be in Charge system"  seem to be a popular way to hire. Good luck MC.

mriderpride84

According to my source Glen Rose has received 9 school choice forms this morning not sure if that is picked them up or actually turned them in.

FisherOfMen11

Quote from: Oldman on April 17, 2017, 12:57:22 pm
So heart determines winning and coaching doesn't matter? It's whoever wants it the most?

Okay take this scenario and see which wins

team with very little heart or work ethic but great coaches
vs.
vs team with all heart and great work ethic with mediocre coaches

which one win?

gameoflife

I keep hearing how MC parents want to know who got interviewed, go ask.  I hear they want to know the qualifications of the applicants, well go ask. They want to know why the choice that was made, was made. Guess what? YEAH, GO ASK! 

The names I've seen thrown around are Carmikle, Golden, Myers.  I saw where someone claimed an applicant had a championship ring, don't know who that is. 

Kraig Crist

Quote from: gameoflife on April 17, 2017, 02:09:24 pm
I keep hearing how MC parents want to know who got interviewed, go ask.  I hear they want to know the qualifications of the applicants, well go ask. They want to know why the choice that was made, was made. Guess what? YEAH, GO ASK! 

The names I've seen thrown around are Carmikle, Golden, Myers.  I saw where someone claimed an applicant had a championship ring, don't know who that is.

KVD, hello.

game on

Not familiar with KVD. Whats his story, did he apply?

HSCHogFan

Gameoflife I did ask a board member today and was told they were voting off the recommendation of the hiring committee. I asked if they felt digging into patential candidates other then a 2 year pup would have been to much to ask and was told I have full faith in our hiring committee and our selection. Brought up a few names and was told they just voted on the recommendation.

game on

Blind leading the blind?  The hiring committe  I heard was, super, asst super, principal and two board members. Was there another? Also heard one board member resigned after his preferred choice did not get the job.

gameoflife

Quote from: HSCHogFan on April 17, 2017, 03:07:09 pm
Gameoflife I did ask a board member today and was told they were voting off the recommendation of the hiring committee. I asked if they felt digging into patential candidates other then a 2 year pup would have been to much to ask and was told I have full faith in our hiring committee and our selection. Brought up a few names and was told they just voted on the recommendation.

Got to wonder why they didn't ask questions.  They don't have to just rubber stamp a recomendation before they get the reasons why a candidate was thought to be the right pick.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: FisherOfMen11 on April 17, 2017, 01:39:26 pm
Okay take this scenario and see which wins

team with very little heart or work ethic but great coaches
vs.
vs team with all heart and great work ethic with mediocre coaches

which one win?
The one with the best athletes and coaches. Heart doesn't matter if you weigh 145lbs and run a 5.1 forty.

gameoflife

You mean if you just want it enough you will not always win?

NWA Hawg

Quote from: gameoflife on April 17, 2017, 03:13:53 pm
Got to wonder why they didn't ask questions.  They don't have to just rubber stamp a recomendation before they get the reasons why a candidate was thought to be the right pick.

Don't tell the people of Magnet Cove this. They seem to think this is all the committees fault and the board had to vote in their recommendation.

gameoflife

Sorry I cant say the hiring sounded good to me either.

Hogjr

April 17, 2017, 05:19:19 pm #486 Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:21:26 pm by Hogjr
Looks like we have folks from MC admin on here by the sounds of things

Hogjr

April 17, 2017, 05:26:10 pm #487 Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:30:19 pm by Hogjr
And some of y'all earlier today gonna start bashing a kid need to take a step back. Why can't their voice be heard?  They're just supposed to sit back and take things. Yeah I don't see that going over well with anyone

PapaHog

This kid could do an awesome job and will still get run out of town. These folks have already made up their mind. Good luck bringing decent coaches to the Cove after this thread.

SR30

April 17, 2017, 08:31:48 pm #489 Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 09:01:47 pm by SR30
They ruined that for themselves.. they just proved that experience doesn't mean a thing  to them. Like I said next time around they will be lucky to get the pee wee coach for dee whimple Texas to apply next time around.

game on

There are schools that always seem to have a problem getting it right.  Old football coach friend said he never wanted to work for a superintendent unless he was an ex football coach.  Said other wise they don't understand.

WHITEchicken

Winning solves a LOT of problems

game on

Quote from: WHITEchicken on April 17, 2017, 10:28:27 pm
Winning solves a LOT of problems

This is true, but easier said than done and the recent hire is not looking like a confidence builder around the community.  You have to get that support.

Mairzy Doats

I don't usually post. I just read to keep up since moving out of Arkansas. It looks like y'all have some drama. I won't get on that.

I was on a staff that coached against Coach Carmikle's bunch last season. I remember being impressed with their technique and discipline while breaking down their film and was only half surprised when they gave our group all that they wanted for a half (we had a strong group this past season.) They ran multiple concepts and ran them well. At our level, we're very limited in facilities, time, staff and players. This is as grassroots as private schools get. What I saw with Coach Carmikle's bunch was a program doing the best with what it had and a good foundation.

I'd encourage you all to give him a chance. Every new coach deserves a period of non-judgment as he gets to know the kids and community. Whatever y'all have going on, he has nothing to do with it. He'll have energy and enthusiasm and he knows the game.

footballfan-tastic

I think what they are saying is they are disappointed in the job the search committee did in the hiring of the new coach.  Its one thing to go ahead and work hard as a player to get better, its another for a community and the players and parents to accept any decision made by people that should answer in large part to the will of the people they represent.

Kraig Crist

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on April 18, 2017, 11:34:56 am
I think what they are saying is they are disappointed in the job the search committee did in the hiring of the new coach.  Its one thing to go ahead and work hard as a player to get better, its another for a community and the players and parents to accept any decision made by people that should answer in large part to the will of the people they represent.

There's been several HC's get a job at 23-24-25 years old. But typically, they've coached in public school as a position coach or coordinator, had decent experience from college, and shown ability. This hire doesn't abide by those tenants. There's several (Think Drake Widener or Dustin Prescott) that have been successful but there's a greater majority that flame out.  The fact a search committee hired a guy to be AD on top of HC at 24 blows my mind. He's going to have issues with one position or the other. There's nobody at 24 that should be having to pull those two roles off.   Just my 2 cents.

game on

I think the age, lack of experince, both coaching and particularly as AD, added to the fact that there were candidates with better qualifications, these things are the problem.  Carmikle may be a great guy, there are lots of great guys out there.

footballfan-tastic

I bet the guy hired is a nice fellow. If the idea was to hire a nice fellow I bet at least half of the applicants were nice fellows. The goal was to get the best coach and AD. 

nomorewhining

One applicant has a ring as a head coach, 4 more as an OC, and has coached college football. He didn't get an interview. But after reading all this, he is glad.

Rida4Life

Quote from: Mairzy Doats on April 18, 2017, 10:26:35 am
I don't usually post. I just read to keep up since moving out of Arkansas. It looks like y'all have some drama. I won't get on that.

I was on a staff that coached against Coach Carmikle's bunch last season. I remember being impressed with their technique and discipline while breaking down their film and was only half surprised when they gave our group all that they wanted for a half (we had a strong group this past season.) They ran multiple concepts and ran them well. At our level, we're very limited in facilities, time, staff and players. This is as grassroots as private schools get. What I saw with Coach Carmikle's bunch was a program doing the best with what it had and a good foundation.

I'd encourage you all to give him a chance. Every new coach deserves a period of non-judgment as he gets to know the kids and community. Whatever y'all have going on, he has nothing to do with it. He'll have energy and enthusiasm and he knows the game.

Did any of you Cove folks even read this guys post?!?!?!?  Guy hasn't coached a game yet and already the "experts" are passing judgement on who "they" would have hired. 
......and you wonder why you can't win.... MAYBE the problem isn't the kids it's the grown folks.....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas