• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hoxie/Walnut Ridge consolidation

Started by bigchief72455, February 23, 2017, 09:09:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigchief72455

I have been seeing a lot about this. If it actually happened that would be  2 teams leaving at once to go to 4A.

x14113

The consolidation in question involves the two cities themselves, not their school districts.

It would be highly comparable to the Jonesboro-Nettleton situation.

hsindian

Quote from: x14113 on February 23, 2017, 03:52:19 pm
The consolidation in question involves the two cities themselves, not their school districts.

It would be highly comparable to the Jonesboro-Nettleton situation.
Yes. Wouldn't have any bearing on the schools at all. Unless a utility bill or insurance through fire rating were lowered.

bigchief72455

Quote from: hsindian on February 23, 2017, 04:27:23 pm
Yes. Wouldn't have any bearing on the schools at all. Unless a utility bill or insurance through fire rating were lowered.
I believe that eventual consolidation is on the table though.

hsindian

Quote from: bigchief72455 on February 24, 2017, 08:26:58 am
I believe that eventual consolidation is on the table though.
If the schools ever consolidate I think it will have to be state forced. I didn't go to school at either one, but my kids do, and the animosity between the two is very bad.

Missco

heck will freeze over before they would ever consolidate.

Nomad1324

Quote from: Missco on February 27, 2017, 03:38:56 pm
heck will freeze over before they would ever consolidate.

If I remember correctly, there was talk in the mid-90s and it didn't go much further than the "over my dead body" vs. "pull my school from my cold dead fingers"....

The kids didn't seem to mind it was the adults who were so opposed.

OB11

Quote from: Nomad1324 on February 28, 2017, 12:08:25 pm
If I remember correctly, there was talk in the mid-90s and it didn't go much further than the "over my dead body" vs. "pull my school from my cold dead fingers"....

The kids didn't seem to mind it was the adults who were so opposed.

Isn't that the way it usually is? Very true in school sports.  The kids could care less if they aren't getting as many minutes as the next guy they just enjoy playing and like being part of the team.  The parents are the ones that get upset about it.

bigchief72455

Quote from: OB11 on February 28, 2017, 12:35:20 pm
Isn't that the way it usually is? Very true in school sports.  The kids could care less if they aren't getting as many minutes as the next guy they just enjoy playing and like being part of the team.  The parents are the ones that get upset about it.
That is about the truth. Hoxie and Walnut Ridge played against each other this year and I think there were brothers that played against each other. One on Hoxie and one at Walnut Ridge. I bet that was a fun house to be in that week.

Made

especially since its the first time WR beat hoxie since who knows when

Nomad1324

Quote from: bigchief72455 on March 01, 2017, 09:36:48 am
That is about the truth. Hoxie and Walnut Ridge played against each other this year and I think there were brothers that played against each other. One on Hoxie and one at Walnut Ridge. I bet that was a fun house to be in that week.

Can we call this one the Civil War then???

OB11

Quote from: Nomad1324 on March 02, 2017, 12:35:12 pm
Can we call this one the Civil War then???

That would be very fitting. It really makes no sense that these towns are separate entities.  If you didn't know any better and drove through, you would think it's all the same town.

ricepig

Having grown up in WR and graduating in the mid 70's, while we were hated rivals on the fields/court, the kids got along. It was the older people, who were always against any consolidation. In the early years, it was the Hoxie people who were the most vehemently against any consolidation, fearing they would be swallowed up. Today,some of those who were players in the 70's are against it the most, some things never change. The school districts were offered a huge sum to consolidate, maybe in the 90's, but of course, forget the students, we need our schools!

I don't see these towns, or school districts every consolidating, it would make too much sense.

hsindian

Quote from: ricepig on March 02, 2017, 03:03:53 pm
Having grown up in WR and graduating in the mid 70's, while we were hated rivals on the fields/court, the kids got along. It was the older people, who were always against any consolidation. In the early years, it was the Hoxie people who were the most vehemently against any consolidation, fearing they would be swallowed up. Today,some of those who were players in the 70's are against it the most, some things never change. The school districts were offered a huge sum to consolidate, maybe in the 90's, but of course, forget the students, we need our schools!

I don't see these towns, or school districts every consolidating, it would make too much sense.
I think a town consolidation has a better. Hance than a school consolidation. I do wish they schools would consolidate voluntarily or be forced. I think the two being so close together and school choice have a negative affect on both schools. It causes "drama" among the students, especially jr high, that is brought on by parents getting their feelings hurt . In one case the students are at their 4th school in the last 5 years. And at school 4 it's the same story as the first three. Students/Coach/Teacher is picking on, bullying, or playing favorites over my Tommy/Sally. Of my soap box now.

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: OB11 on March 02, 2017, 12:40:36 pm
That would be very fitting. It really makes no sense that these towns are separate entities.  If you didn't know any better and drove through, you would think it's all the same town.

Even more than some realize, in fact. I dated a girl from there years ago (the college she went to was much closer to me than WR), and drove up there once to visit her. The sign as you enter town literally says, "Welcome to Walnut Ridge and Hoxie," it's like they're acknowledging two towns but not even trying to separate them. Where even is the border?

Missco

The same goes  for a lot of areas.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas