• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4-4A

Started by (((Subi2Sweet))), January 24, 2017, 10:50:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

(((Subi2Sweet)))

I do not know about y'all, but this has been really difficult to keep up with everyone from the 4-4A conference. I really am not a fan of Maxpreps. The records are not up to date, scores wrong or missing, and not easy to navigate at times, but anyways... I was wondering how Pottsville, Dardanelle, Dover, and West Fork are doing? Does anyone have an idea of how the seeding might fall?

(((Subi2Sweet)))

1. Subiaco       7-1
2. Booneville    6-2   
3. Ozark          5-2     
4. Waldron       2-5   

I believe this what it looks like as of today on this side of the 4-4A. Tonight is a big game between Booneville at Subiaco. I believe the link below will allow you to watch the game from Subi's feed.

https://livestream.com/Subiaco/events/6891124

Bearcatpride

Can't wait to watch the game tonight. I'm sure it will be a good one.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

I hope so. I missed the game at Booneville and have not had a chance to watch them this season. They seem to be turning their basketball program around!

Bearcatpride

They are. They have some talented seniors and have a big sophomore class coming through with talent.  Currently starting 2 sophomores, one 6'4" and one 6'7".

(((Subi2Sweet)))

End of the first Booneville is in the lead 8 to 7.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

23 to 23 at the half.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

41 to 33 Subiaco up at the end of the third.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

55 to 47 final. Subiaco wins.

1-Adam-12

January 25, 2017, 07:25:08 pm #9 Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:28:57 pm by 1-Adam-12
What is with Dardanelle? They have beaten Lamar twice and Subi once, yet lost to Two Rivers?

On the girls' side, there is West Fork sitting at 21-0, but many of their games have been very close.

beach bum

January 25, 2017, 07:31:45 pm #10 Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:36:57 pm by beach bum
Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on January 25, 2017, 07:25:08 pm
What is with Dardanelle? They have beaten Lamar twice and Subi once, yet lost to Two Rivers?

On the girls' side, there is West Fork sitting at 21-0, but many of their games have been very close.

Where is the district tourney for 4-4A? I know regionals is at West Fork. And it seems like Ozark, Dardanelle, and Booneville could all claim regional spots if they play like they should along with Subiaco very solid. I think Waldron & West Fork are for sure not making regionals. I am not as familiar with Dover and Pottsville though this year. There are plenty of games left, but what is a guess on your part of how the coaches will seed the 4-4A for the boys side when they come together for the tourney?

1-Adam-12

January 25, 2017, 08:03:53 pm #11 Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:13:52 pm by 1-Adam-12
The district tournament is at Subiaco. 

Pottsville is very good; Dover is not very good (loss to Waldron and barely beat Western Yell).

My guess at this point, subject to change with outcomes of future games:  (and I will say 2 through 4, and maybe even throw in 5 and 6 are very competitive)

1. Pottsville
2. Subiaco (this is a hot team right now)
3. Ozark
4. Booneville
5. Dardanelle
6. West Fork
7. Waldron
8. Dover
____________________________________________________________________________________________
And though you didn't ask: For the girls, again subject to change:

1. West Fork (can't argue with an unbeaten record)
2. Ozark
3. Pottsville
4. Dardanelle
5. Dover
6. Booneville
7. Waldron

Dover/Booneville could change. I feel those two are very close and having seen both play it would be a good game if they faced each other.

beach bum

Ok, thank you for the update. I had thought you guys, Ozark, and Dardanelle were fairly comparable teams quality wise. One good team is going to miss out on regionals for sure from the 4-4A. In the 1-4A I think it's Huntsville and Pea Ridge obviously. Then Gravette and Prairie Grove really hold the last two spots if they really want them. Shiloh, Gentry, and Berryville would really have to pull an upset to get into regionals. I think the 1-4A has the edge with the top teams even though Subi and Pottsville could easily beat the 1-4A's top 2 as they proved that last year, but I think the quality 3-5 is better in the 4-4A for sure.

WattsOzark

Just curious, who is the best team the West Fork girls have played this year?

beach bum

Quote from: WattsOzark on January 26, 2017, 07:35:17 am
Just curious, who is the best team the West Fork girls have played this year?

I would imagine that combined league West Fork is in is not very good cause Prairie Grove is way down from its normal self. Although, I don't want to take anything away from a team that hasn't lost yet. That is so hard to do no matter the level of play.

Gray lizard

Pottsville is playing pretty good to this point.  The boys lost a close one at Lamar and the girls lost by 21.
The girls lack a big girl, but guard and point play is very good.  I did not see the Lamar game but figure they have a big girl in the middle.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Subiaco has a huge week coming up next week. They host Paris (Tuesday, 31st), Ozark (Friday, 3rd) and then Charleston (Saturday, 4th). Luckily they are all home games, but that is going to be tough. Looking at Pottsville's schedule and I think they should win their final four games to seal up 1st place.

The Coach

Dardanelle girls beat Pottsville 54-50 in OT tonight

1-Adam-12

Booneville is the latest one to just barely escape Cedarville with a win.  62-52 in OT.  Cats hit 9/9 FT in OT and 16/18 overall.

Gray lizard

Quote from: The Coach on January 26, 2017, 09:43:14 pm
Dardanelle girls beat Pottsville 54-50 in OT tonight
What about the boys?

Ozark Hog

Pottsville boys won.

1-Adam-12

The run is over for WF girls as Gentry beats them tonight at Gentry.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

heck of a run by the West Fork girls. A loss before conference tournament usually is a good thing though. Reminds them of what it feels like and ignites that fire.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: Gray lizard on January 26, 2017, 09:45:00 am
Pottsville is playing pretty good to this point.  The boys lost a close one at Lamar and the girls lost by 21.
The girls lack a big girl, but guard and point play is very good.  I did not see the Lamar game but figure they have a big girl in the middle.

I don't know about a big girl, but I know Lamar moved Sanders up.  They're 20-2, both losses in OT (Scranton and Clinton).

WattsOzark

33 from Lamar is at least 6'.

AirItOut21

Is Pottsville going to be challenged in the boys division?

(((Subi2Sweet)))

I haven't heard much about Pottsville other then they are winning.

Gray lizard

Quote from: AirItOut21 on January 31, 2017, 12:27:30 am
Is Pottsville going to be challenged in the boys division?
If all goes well I figure they might make State.  Not sure they will fair well after that.

1-Adam-12

Could be challenged at District.  It is at Subi and the Trojans are playing very well now.  Ozark is hot as well, and Booneville will not be an easy out either.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Paris on Subi 31 to 18 at half time. At the end of the first it was 16 to 17 Paris.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Paris up 49 to 28 end of the third.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

64 to 51 final Paris with the win.

1-Adam-12

Booneville rolls Mansfield, 66-45.

1-Adam-12

Booneville has a narrow escape at Waldron tonight, winning 45-43.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Big game tonight at Subiaco! Ozark v. Subi. Hopefully the Trojans can rebound (that's slightly a pun) from their loss to Paris.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Subiaco barely wins 44 to 42.

StevenGlen

Pottsville's Boys have a fun game on Tuesday night at home against Lamar.  Their only loss this season was by 1 point in Lamar.  The Apaches have first place sewn up and I would also guess the top spot into the District tournament in Subiaco. 

Pottsville's Girls were beaten by Two Rivers on Friday night after a furious comeback.  The Lady Apaches trailed by double digits but came back to tie the game late in the 4th quarter.  Two Rivers did make some plays down the stretch to grab the win.  For the Gators Grace Coats is very good, and the Apaches had no real answers for her.  Oh and one of the Lady Gator guards made 7 free throws in a row in the 4th quarter to seal the win.  Sorry but I do not have my stat sheet in front of me for her name.  The Boys game was all Pottsville.  By the way I do know that at least one college scout was at that game, I'd guess looking at recruiting Ms. Coats.  In my mind her talents will shine even greater in college.  She does everything well on a basketball floor.

Does anyone have a copy of the District Tournament Bracket showing where and when the seeds will play?  I know the seeds have not been set, but even a prelim schedule would be of great help to me?

While I believe the Apache have the first seed set on the guys side, playing at Subiaco is a challenge.  It is never ever fun to play the Trojans when their gym is filled with fans chanting..."Suuuuuuuuuuu beee aco!"  A great atmosphere! Oh, their concession stand food is always some of the best in the State.

Ozark Hog

Check on score from last time Pottsville  girls and TR played, the score was 52- 29  with Pottsville winning with the starters not playing the  last part of the game. Taking nothing away from the Coates girl but  4 Pottsville players fouled out with 3 of them being starters, and that one of their best players was in foul trouble the whole first half and fouling out at start of fourth quarter with several others having at least 4 fouls, At the same time only one TR foul out late in fourth quarter! Do not know what the total foul  tally was but it must have been high for one side. Pottsville basically played the fourth quarter with their second string. I have watched a lot of basketball, and it is hard to imagine that one team was fouling that much more than the other one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hog-fan

Here's how I think it will shake out for seedings:

1.   Pottsville
2.   Subiaco
3.   Dardanelle
4.   Ozark
5.   Booneville
6.   West Fork
7.   Waldron
8.   Dover

Pottsville at #1 and Subiaco at #2, both will have been crowned Season champs of their respective Combined 3A/4A Conferences. And they each have the best record versus the other 4A-4 teams they have faced.   

Dardanelle may argue a claim to #2 due to an early season victory over Subi, however they will end up finishing 3rd, at best, in their season conference behind a very good 3A team. . And having recently lost to bottom-dweller Two Rivers, at this point in the season, Subi is a better team.

Ozark slides in at #4 having lost two season matchups against Subi and with a victory over Booneville. I think they win over Booneville on Tuesday too.

Booneville takes the 5th seed having been swept by Ozark.

West Fork lands at #6 with a head-to-head win over Waldron during the season (The only 4A-4 team it faced), and a quality 4A win over Gravette.

Waldron comes in at #7 with a season defeat of Dover.

Dover rounds out the seeding at #8.

WattsOzark

Quote from: Ozark Hog on February 06, 2017, 04:47:17 pm
Check on score from last time Pottsville  girls and TR played, the score was 52- 29  with Pottsville winning with the starters not playing the  last part of the game. Taking nothing away from the Coates girl but  4 Pottsville players fouled out with 3 of them being starters, and that one of their best players was in foul trouble the whole first half and fouling out at start of fourth quarter with several others having at least 4 fouls, At the same time only one TR foul out late in fourth quarter! Do not know what the total foul  tally was but it must have been high for one side. Pottsville basically played the fourth quarter with their second string. I have watched a lot of basketball, and it is hard to imagine that one team was fouling that much more than the other one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was at this game, Pottsville was fouling way more than they were called for.

1-Adam-12

Booneville is capable of beating Ozark.  The thing they have to do that they didn't do at Ozark is at least slow Bowman down.  The kid is going to get his points, but the Cats cannot let him light them up for 36 again.

I think the team knows what is in front of them.  It is a rival game and hopefully going to be one of the bigger crowds Booneville has had for basketball in years.  It is my wish that they will be up to the task.

One thing is for sure:  Two very good boys' teams from this conference that deserve to go to regionals will be in off-season at the end of next week.

Tired Old Panther 34

Guard from Two Rivers that hit the free throws was #2 Gabby Ellis. Same kid that fouled out at Pottsville in less that 8 minutes of playing time. Not sure she was even on the same end of the court on 3 of those calls. Her hustle and defense along with Coates hot hand made a world of difference at Two Rivers.

StevenGlen

YES, Gabby Ellis was the 2 Rivers player who hit 7 free throws in a row in the 4th quarter for the Lady Gators.  I pulled my stat sheet from the broadcast, and  I see that she missed 2 from the line in the first quarter.  Then she did not score again until the 4th quarter, what a gutsy performance for a Senior playing in her final home game.  Yes, Grace Coats had almost 40 points, but if Ms. Ellis does not make all 7 of those free throws it is a different outcome.  One of the joys of broadcasting games is to see good things happen for good people, even if I am the Apache broadcaster. 

Someone brought up the total number of fouls, so I also counted them up on my sheet.  Please realize that my count is not official, but I had Pottsville being called for 25 fouls and 2 Rivers with 17 in the game.  I drew no conclusions from this information.  In fact I just now counted them up, I did not know the numbers as I was broadcasting the game.  However, I did mention that I've never called a game where a total of 4 players fouled out, much less 4 for the same team. 

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: StevenGlen on February 06, 2017, 11:04:20 am
Pottsville's Boys have a fun game on Tuesday night at home against Lamar.  Their only loss this season was by 1 point in Lamar.  The Apaches have first place sewn up and I would also guess the top spot into the District tournament in Subiaco. 

Pottsville's Girls were beaten by Two Rivers on Friday night after a furious comeback.  The Lady Apaches trailed by double digits but came back to tie the game late in the 4th quarter.  Two Rivers did make some plays down the stretch to grab the win.  For the Gators Grace Coats is very good, and the Apaches had no real answers for her.  Oh and one of the Lady Gator guards made 7 free throws in a row in the 4th quarter to seal the win.  Sorry but I do not have my stat sheet in front of me for her name.  The Boys game was all Pottsville.  By the way I do know that at least one college scout was at that game, I'd guess looking at recruiting Ms. Coats.  In my mind her talents will shine even greater in college.  She does everything well on a basketball floor.

Does anyone have a copy of the District Tournament Bracket showing where and when the seeds will play?  I know the seeds have not been set, but even a prelim schedule would be of great help to me?

While I believe the Apache have the first seed set on the guys side, playing at Subiaco is a challenge.  It is never ever fun to play the Trojans when their gym is filled with fans chanting..."Suuuuuuuuuuu beee aco!"  A great atmosphere! Oh, their concession stand food is always some of the best in the State.
I figure with most things panning out tonight that the district seedings should be coming out soon. Hopefully! With seeds come the brackets.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: StevenGlen on February 06, 2017, 11:04:20 am

From what I am seeing other districts do, it will be similar to what they do for Regionals. 1(E) v 4 (W), 2(E) v 3(W), 1(W) v 4(E), 2(W) v 3(E).

1-Adam-12

February 07, 2017, 04:19:41 pm #45 Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:45:26 pm by 1-Adam-12
Quote from: StevenGlen on February 07, 2017, 10:23:42 am
YES, Gabby Ellis was the 2 Rivers player who hit 7 free throws in a row in the 4th quarter for the Lady Gators.  I pulled my stat sheet from the broadcast, and  I see that she missed 2 from the line in the first quarter.  Then she did not score again until the 4th quarter, what a gutsy performance for a Senior playing in her final home game.  Yes, Grace Coats had almost 40 points, but if Ms. Ellis does not make all 7 of those free throws it is a different outcome.  One of the joys of broadcasting games is to see good things happen for good people, even if I am the Apache broadcaster. 

Someone brought up the total number of fouls, so I also counted them up on my sheet.  Please realize that my count is not official, but I had Pottsville being called for 25 fouls and 2 Rivers with 17 in the game.  I drew no conclusions from this information.  In fact I just now counted them up, I did not know the numbers as I was broadcasting the game.  However, I did mention that I've never called a game where a total of 4 players fouled out, much less 4 for the same team. 

I can remember a girls' district tournament final in 2004 between Ozark and Booneville, in which a total of 10 players fouled out as I recall (3 Ozark, 7 Booneville).  Booneville finished the game, which was won by Ozark 61-57 in OT, with three players on the floor.  There was something like 65-70 fouls called (one of our players that was left had 4 fouls, and I'm sure one or two of Ozark's did too).

One of the wildest games I have ever seen, as Booneville came back from 18 down with 4 minutes left just to force overtime--and had a game winning shot go in and out at the end of regulation.

Oh, and the Booneville girl who hit the three-pointer to tie the game?  Her only points of the night.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on February 07, 2017, 04:19:41 pm
I can remember a girls' district tournament final some years ago (2002 or 2003 maybe?) between Ozark and Booneville, in which a total of 12 players fouled out as I recall (4 Ozark, 8 Booneville).  Booneville finished the game, which was won by Ozark in OT, with three players on the floor. 

One of the wildest games I have ever seen, as Booneville came back from 18 down with 4 minutes left just to force overtime--and had a game winning shot go in and out at the end of regulation.
Was that in Ozark's old gym? If so, I believe that was 2003. Ozark had that girl that went on to play for the Lady Razorbacks.

1-Adam-12

I think the game was in Paris, and while Ozark did not have that girl (Pfeifer) on that team, I think her younger sister played. I looked it up and it was in '04.

1-Adam-12

Ozark wins the showdown at Booneville.  I make no excuses.  Hillbillies executed better and clearly the better team tonight.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Subi beat Waldron by 14.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas