• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1A Baseball

Started by hardballer, December 08, 2016, 03:52:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hardballer

What are the top 10 teams in 1A after the new classification alignment?

BLUEBLOOD

Woodlawn was consistently at the top in 2A, so they gotta be in the mix somewhere.  Knowing that they had no seniors on state title team last season means I would put them at #1 in preseason ranking.

Dierks should contend for top 10 spot also.  Had only 1 senior last season and made the final 8 in 2A.  Ouachita also made a deep run in 2A last season, but I believe their ace graduated.

As you can see, I am more versed in 2A but I'm sure all the normal contenders in traditional 1A will be in this top 10:  Kirby, Taylor, Armorel, Viola, Nemo......

DukeBlue03

Bay has a really good move in, started at Russellville last year. Should help out a lot with the talent they already have. Expect them to have a good run this year.

hogman

Hmmm!!!!! Bay has a move in.

BirdsontheBat27

DukeBlue03

Taylor Layne and Nolan Smith signed to Williams Baptist this morning!!

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: DukeBlue03 on February 07, 2017, 12:46:43 pm
Taylor Layne and Nolan Smith signed to Williams Baptist this morning!!

Congrats

BannerMountainMan

Shirley has not made it to state in years but the way their regional is set up they have a good chance and two decent move ins from Clinton

Bluecollar77

Dierks won't be a Top 10 Contender after their new athletic director finishes gutting the baseball program.......updates to follow

Katdaddy

So what's going on ?? How is the AD gutting the baseball program??

NextYear

Why would an AD gut a baseball program?

T-Bone

Quote from: NextYear on February 22, 2017, 08:32:00 pm
Why would an AD gut a baseball program?

I will never go for gutting a program of any form even if a sport few play.  Fund raisers and active parents can help the programs.  But most will agree that if you do have to cut in the athletic side the last thing to go would be football at most all places.  Baseball, track, cheerleading, etc. do not "normally" bring in the money football does.  Bottom line is in just about every school I have ever known if money became limited baseball would go before football.  And I am sure some schools are having money issues. 

Katdaddy

I noticed Blueblood comments regularly on Dierks things so maybe he or she could enlighten us.

BLUEBLOOD

I expect Dierks to compete very deep in baseball this year.  Dierks has always had a strong baseball program and I don't expect that will change.

RazorbackFan33

Bay has some young talent coming up this year. I can see them in the mix.

brotherdew

He said "gut", not "cut" the baseball program. That would imply the athletic director will not let some of their key players participate in baseball. The obvious reasons would be 1) they are also running track and the AD wants them to focus on one sport; 2) the AD is concerned with their grades; 3) the AD doesn't want them to get hurt and miss out on another sport (presumably football).
Just an outside guess here, or there could be nothing to the statement. Although I no longer live in Dierks I stay in touch with friends from there and no one has mentioned a shake up on the baseball team.
My guess is this is just someone trying to help Dierks, a traditionally strong baseball program, fly under the radar until their season gets rolling.

OB11

Quote from: brotherdew on February 24, 2017, 10:13:23 am
He said "gut", not "cut" the baseball program. That would imply the athletic director will not let some of their key players participate in baseball. The obvious reasons would be 1) they are also running track and the AD wants them to focus on one sport; 2) the AD is concerned with their grades; 3) the AD doesn't want them to get hurt and miss out on another sport (presumably football).
Just an outside guess here, or there could be nothing to the statement. Although I no longer live in Dierks I stay in touch with friends from there and no one has mentioned a shake up on the baseball team.
My guess is this is just someone trying to help Dierks, a traditionally strong baseball program, fly under the radar until their season gets rolling.

If any of those reasons you stated are true then the AD is absolutely not doing his job. 

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: brotherdew on February 24, 2017, 10:13:23 am

Basketball team lost in first round of regionals, so season is "rolling" now. 

BlueBrother

Quote from: Bluecollar77 on February 22, 2017, 03:28:19 pm
Dierks won't be a Top 10 Contender after their new athletic director finishes gutting the baseball program.......updates to follow

This sounds like one of the few people who are especially upset because they haven't got what they want.  Unfortunately there are some crybabies who aren't happy with athletic director because they don't understand what it takes to build a championship level program.

Katdaddy

This is the second time something has been put on here about the athletic director and the baseball program. What is going on in Dierks?? How is the athletic director affecting the baseball program?

Bluecollar77

When I played ball in school we played the sport of what season it was. yall know what I am talking about. Now it seams the baseball team is taking a back seat to football because the kids that are good at more than one sport are having to play baseball only after school and lift weights 4 days every week even on game days. At bigger schools I get the off season program being ran like that but not at a 1A small school. Going to be hard for my boy to lift weights and do of season program and play at his best for baseball game on same day. Sucks for Dierks since baseball has been so big here for so long. Guess that is the new mentality here now.

thirdand1

Sounds like someone got their feelings hurt.....

tacklethis...

Quote from: Bluecollar77 on March 01, 2017, 11:54:55 am
When I played ball in school we played the sport of what season it was. yall know what I am talking about. Now it seams the baseball team is taking a back seat to football because the kids that are good at more than one sport are having to play baseball only after school and lift weights 4 days every week even on game days. At bigger schools I get the off season program being ran like that but not at a 1A small school. Going to be hard for my boy to lift weights and do of season program and play at his best for baseball game on same day. Sucks for Dierks since baseball has been so big here for so long. Guess that is the new mentality here now.

Back in the day I played everything. But they were "all after school". Not sure any schools are getting to practice baseball instead of going to school.....

brotherdew

Quote from: Bluecollar77 on March 01, 2017, 11:54:55 am

On a thread in the 2A Football section people are complaining that their kids weren't lifting during basketball season and how it affects the football program. I'm assuming lifting during baseball season is much like lifting in basketball season.
The problem is we are talking about small schools. With lower numbers you don't have the luxury of having one, or two sport athletes. Pretty much everybody does everything.
As a result some sports are going to suffer as the influence of some coaches overshadow others we see a shift in focus from one sport to another. This results in some sports falling behind. This is why track as fallen to the wayside in many schools.
I don't see an answer to this problem. Unfortunately there are kids who are more into a sport that may not be a focus while they are in school. I'm sure that there are kids who played football at Dierks when the baseball program was going strong who wished his teammates had focused more on weight training so the football team would be better.
Hopefully things will work out. This is the first year for your new football coach. I'm sure he and the other coaches will work out a happy medium that will help everyone.

Chester A. Arthur

Quote from: BlueBrother on February 28, 2017, 06:39:30 pm
This sounds like one of the few people who are especially upset because they haven't got what they want.  Unfortunately there are some crybabies who aren't happy with athletic director because they don't understand what it takes to build a championship level program.

Here's what I was told from someone who would definitely know about this situation. I'll leave it up to each of you to determine if it's "fair".

The DHS baseball players are required to lift before they go to practice baseball. They are the only sport required to do that, girls or boys. If they have a game that requires missing a lift the baseball coach has been told to lift them after they return from that days game or before school the next morning.
I'm just stating the facts as accurately as I can.

My school has been a rival of DHS for years and I am not someone "who hasn't gotten what I want", or is taking a side one way or the other.

T-Bone

March 03, 2017, 12:17:39 pm #25 Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:19:44 pm by T-Bone

BlueBrother

Quote from: Chester A. Arthur on March 03, 2017, 11:48:18 am
Here's what I was told from someone who would definitely know about this situation. I'll leave it up to each of you to determine if it's "fair".

The DHS baseball players are required to lift before they go to practice baseball. They are the only sport required to do that, girls or boys. If they have a game that requires missing a lift the baseball coach has been told to lift them after they return from that days game or before school the next morning.
I'm just stating the facts as accurately as I can.

My school has been a rival of DHS for years and I am not someone "who hasn't gotten what I want", or is taking a side one way or the other.

That is inaccurate. All sports are required to participate in the spring off season. Football players lift before games as well.

brotherdew

Quote from: BlueBrother on March 03, 2017, 02:47:19 pm
That is inaccurate. All sports are required to participate in the spring off season. Football players lift before games as well.

I think his point is that football players who play baseball are required to lift while basketball players were not, nor are the softball girls required to lift. Of course I don't know of any girls at Dierks who play football so I'm guessing that's a moot point.
I will add that all the schools I know of who play football also require their offseason football players who are playing baseball, track, etc. to lift weights. Doesn't seem to bother them that much. Knowing the boys at Dierks I figure they will get adjusted to it pretty quickly.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas