• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PULASKI ACADEMY IS YOUR 2016 5A STATE CHAMPIONS

Started by Brian G, December 03, 2016, 06:13:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Congrats to the players, coaches, parents and all the fans of Pulaski Academy.

They have a 3-peat.

Maynard G Krebs

Congrats to the Bruins and Yellowjackets on their great seasons!

Overdahill

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 03, 2016, 06:37:15 pm
Congrats to the Bruins and Yellowjackets on their great seasons!

Amen. And it was nice being the underdogs for this one

MDXPHD

I don't think they would have won if they didn't have nice, warm dry uniforms to change into at half. Those poor boys just didn't need to stay cold and play football...that wouldn't be right to make them do something like that.

Overdahill

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 03, 2016, 06:59:13 pm
I don't think they would have won if they didn't have nice, warm dry uniforms to change into at half. Those poor boys just didn't need to stay cold and play football...that wouldn't be right to make them do something like that.

I wish we had that when I was in school but gloves had not even been invented then :(

JessieP

Someone posted that BS earlier. It's more anti-PA rumor. They didn't pay the ref, they don't recruit out of district players and they didn't change uniforms at halftime. The played a great game, the better team won.

Brian G

Quote from: JessieP on December 03, 2016, 07:54:46 pm
Someone posted that BS earlier. It's more anti-PA rumor. They didn't pay the ref, they don't recruit out of district players and they didn't change uniforms at halftime. The played a great game, the better team won.
You sure they didn't change uniforms at halftime?

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 03, 2016, 06:59:13 pm

I agree.  Kelley just out coached Hill by changing uniforms.

Brian G

Quote from: PA Dad on December 03, 2016, 08:03:29 pm
I agree.  Kelley just out coached Hill by changing uniforms.
Let's not pretend there wasn't some psychology involved.

PA Dad

Quote from: B.G. on December 03, 2016, 08:07:57 pm
Let's not pretend there wasn't some psychology involved.

Is that forbidden in high school football?

Brian G

Quote from: PA Dad on December 03, 2016, 08:12:17 pm
Is that forbidden in high school football?
Obviously, a loophole that a smart coach was aware of and waited for his opportunity.

I've always been amazed at the difference in uniform rules between football and basketball.  They're so strict on hoops.

PA Dad

Quote from: B.G. on December 03, 2016, 08:14:03 pm
Obviously, a loophole that a smart coach was aware of and waited for his opportunity.

I've always been amazed at the difference in uniform rules between football and basketball.  They're so strict on hoops.

I like smart coaches.

JessieP

Wait a second, now I'm confused. I can't tell if I'm being goofed on. Honestly, did PA change into dry uniforms at halftime or is it another rumor?

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on December 03, 2016, 09:03:29 pm
Wait a second, now I'm confused. I can't tell if I'm being goofed on. Honestly, did PA change into dry uniforms at halftime or is it another rumor?

They did.  And it's perfectly legal.

walkingguy72396

How about those tents.  Do not remember seeing those before.  Did those belong to PA?  Did they serve hot chocolate in those things?

stinger1

Defense did not need to change. They stayed inside the covered tents most of the first half. I have watched a lot of football and never seen a team staying inside tents when they were not on the field. Only the coaches and a few players were outside the tents

Maynard G Krebs

Nothing feels better after coming in from a cold rain and changing into some nice warm uniforms straight from the clothes dryer.  Plus it was the uniform that I like best, gold helmets and pants with blue jerseys. 

PA Dad

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on December 03, 2016, 09:10:39 pm
How about those tents.  Do not remember seeing those before.  Did those belong to PA?  Did they serve hot chocolate in those things?

The boys had caviar and champagne between series.

Brian G

Quote from: PA Dad on December 03, 2016, 09:15:41 pm
The boys had caviar and champagne between series.
I heard it was White Fudge Oreos.

JessieP

OK, I will not change my opinion that PA is classy, their fans are classy. Changing uniforms at halftime is chickensh%t. That is an obvious financial advantage. The AAA is supposed to make sure things like that don't happen. The public schools are having to tighten belts and make cuts, Blytheville had to have parents bring food for the team at away games. They had to cut buying Pizza for the ride home. You have one team that is unable to bring 2 sets of uniforms to a wet cold game and the other changes at halftime? in what planet is that fair. That's BS, they are not playing apples for apples. My God, I thought that was a rumor. That crap has to stop. If not force them to play in a private league where money is not an issue. Where does it stop? does PA install a retractable roof, they close it on rainy day's when they are on offense, open it on defense? I have been getting a lot of crap all week for defending PA against the rumors, I still think their fans are lovely people and the team conducts itself with class. I never assumed any of the rumors were true. How long before I get my nose rubbed in my 'they do not recruit' post? no team is supposed to have a financial advantage. This isn't enough to change my opinion about PA but it does take some of the shine off.

Brian G

You're certainly allowed to be bothered by the uniform issues.

I don't like it myself.

Complete Biased PoV

The uniforms are not a "financial advantage" since Adidas sponsors PA's uniforms.  PA was selected (mainly due to CKK's national media attention) along with several other high schools back in 2012 to be "sponsored" as a way to try to save their football division when they started losing colleges to Under Armour.  As for changing uniforms it is perfectly legal and smart to do in my opinion.  I mean honestly, how many people would stay in wet clothes all day if you had a change and chance to change?  If they had duplicate uniforms and put on dry ones exactly like the 1st half unis , no one would know and it would be a non-issue.  Everyone just wants to look for anything to complain about, that is where we are at in society...complaining about guys changing freaking clothes during a football game, are you kidding me?  Get out of your "safe space", grow a set and stop being offended by crap that has zero affect on you personally.

You could change uniforms in basketball as long as you stay in the proper dark or light color depending on visitor or home respectively and your numbers are correct in the book.  However it is unlikely to be needed since it is an indoor sport.

Yellowcake

Here's a funny story.....one of our main defensive linemen forgot his second jersey, was looking for it, and got locked in the Lockerroom, and missed wynne's opening TD drive. He was locked up, with no way to communicate.

All they did was change from wet clothes to dry clothes. It's not a big deal. None of the clothes threw passes, made blocks or tackles, or made runs. I did see one pair of dry pants jump offsides once and a dry jersey got a sideline warning. So, the move hurt more than it helped.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on December 03, 2016, 11:34:20 pm
The uniforms are not a "financial advantage" since Adidas sponsors PA's uniforms.  PA was selected (mainly due to CKK's national media attention) along with several other high schools back in 2012 to be "sponsored" as a way to try to save their football division when they started losing colleges to Under Armour.  As for changing uniforms it is perfectly legal and smart to do in my opinion.  I mean honestly, how many people would stay in wet clothes all day if you had a change and chance to change?  If they had duplicate uniforms and put on dry ones exactly like the 1st half unis , no one would know and it would be a non-issue.  Everyone just wants to look for anything to complain about, that is where we are at in society...complaining about guys changing freaking clothes during a football game, are you kidding me?  Get out of your "safe space", grow a set and stop being offended by crap that has zero affect on you personally.

You could change uniforms in basketball as long as you stay in the proper dark or light color depending on visitor or home respectively and your numbers are correct in the book.  However it is unlikely to be needed since it is an indoor sport.

Interesting that a private school supporter would tell someone to get out of their safe place...

the voice

As for changing uniforms at halftime Doug Scheel used to do that at Morrilton years ago , especially in the rain. Often times the jerseys being put on at halftime were just coming out of the dryer. It certainly wasn't a financial advantage at morrilton , just away to get the team focused on the game I think and not worried about being cold and wet.

sevenof400

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on December 03, 2016, 11:34:20 pmThe uniforms are not a "financial advantage" since Adidas sponsors PA's uniforms.  PA was selected (mainly due to CKK's national media attention) along with several other high schools back in 2012 to be "sponsored" as a way to try to save their football division when they started losing colleges to Under Armour.  ...

I disagree with the first part of the cited quote. 

It most certainly IS a financial advantage for the schools who receive this benefit compared to the schools that do NOT enjoy the same benefit. 

olemissjacket99

Congrats to PA.   One of the best defense I've seen to hold Wynne to 16 points.

olemissjacket99

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 03, 2016, 11:48:22 pm
Here's a funny story.....one of our main defensive linemen forgot his second jersey, was looking for it, and got locked in the Lockerroom, and missed wynne's opening TD drive. He was locked up, with no way to communicate.

All they did was change from wet clothes to dry clothes. It's not a big deal. None of the clothes threw passes, made blocks or tackles, or made runs. I did see one pair of dry pants jump offsides once and a dry jersey got a sideline warning. So, the move hurt more than it helped.
hilarious.....how did he finally get out??

olemissjacket99

PiratePride03

Yall are ridiculous man!   Who cares if they changed into warm unis?  I wish we would've had that, but I don't fault them for it.   PA already plays two classes above their attendance,  what do yall want from them?   If they were moved to the 6a or 7a, they'd continue their dominance up there too.   Yall are so busy whining about them having warm unis,  that you're not giving the kids and coaches the credit they've earned!   3 in a row, while mercy ruling everyone, is an amazing feat,  no matter what classification.   This uniform talk needs to be saved for off season,  give them their props for now.  Complaining about it now,  is nothing more than jealousy.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 04, 2016, 09:01:27 am
There is a valid point of consideration - should PA be playing up in (at) a higher classification?

If what you say is true, then winning the 5A championship isn't really much of an accomplishment given the disparity of resources available for PA as compared to other 5A teams.  My point here is NOT to blame PA for building as best a program as they can, rather that PA should be playing in the 7A classification (like LR Catholic) in order to participate against teams that have as equivalent (comparable) as possible resources.
One resource is number of students, and PA does not compete with 7A schools. Cabot for example has 7X the number of students.

sevenof400

December 04, 2016, 09:54:27 am #31 Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:17:23 am by sevenof400
Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 04, 2016, 09:38:34 am
One resource is number of students, and PA does not compete with 7A schools. Cabot for example has 7X the number of students.

That's true - PA is similar to LR Catholic in that the multiplier rule moves them up in classification.  However, for as long as I can remember, LR Catholic has completed at the highest classification level. I don't know if this was by rule, LR Catholic's preference, or some combination of both.  If I recall correctly, LR Catholic's numbers (even after the multiplier was applied) would not bump them into the 7A and neither would PA's.

But the best level of competition for PA would seem to be at the 7A because at that classification, the effect of their advantages (whatever they may be) doesn't create as much of an unlevel playing field as it does in the 5A. 

Yellowcake

Quote from: PiratePride03 on December 04, 2016, 08:56:48 am
Yall are ridiculous man!   Who cares if they changed into warm unis?  I wish we would've had that, but I don't fault them for it.   PA already plays two classes above their attendance,  what do yall want from them?   If they were moved to the 6a or 7a, they'd continue their dominance up there too.   Yall are so busy whining about them having warm unis,  that you're not giving the kids and coaches the credit they've earned!   3 in a row, while mercy ruling everyone, is an amazing feat,  no matter what classification.   This uniform talk needs to be saved for off season,  give them their props for now.  Complaining about it now,  is nothing more than jealousy.

Thank you. Sometimes these things get lost in the mix.

Yellowcake

Quote from: olemissjacket99 on December 04, 2016, 08:47:25 am
hilarious.....how did he finally get out??

Once it was discovered he wasn't on the sidelines, someone went looking, found the locked door, found the person with the key (stadium security), and he unlocked the door. And out popped a defensive starter! He had to borrow a jersey. It's why you heard the Public address announcer announce a number change for a player in the second half.

STBruin

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 04, 2016, 10:28:47 am
Once it was discovered he wasn't on the sidelines, someone went looking, found the locked door, found the person with the key (stadium security), and he unlocked the door. And out popped a defensive starter! He had to borrow a jersey. It's why you heard the Public address announcer announce a number change for a player in the second half.

I was wondering why he was wearing #35...I was in the stands and didn't know he was not on the field...

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 04, 2016, 09:54:27 am
That's true - PA is similar to LR Catholic in that the multiplier rule moves them up in classification.  However, for as long as I can remember, LR Catholic has completed at the highest classification level. I don't know if this was by rule, LR Catholic's preference, or some combination of both.  If I recall correctly, LR Catholic's numbers (even after the multiplier was applied) would not bump them into the 7A and neither would PA's.

But the best level of competition for PA would seem to be at the 7A because at that classification, the effect of their advantages (whatever they may be) doesn't create as much of an unlevel playing field as it does in the 5A.

Catholic numbers for classification include their sister school, St. Mary's. Boys school has around 700, then add the girls and you get droll end of around 1400

Red Devil Alum

Overdahill

See y'all next year. I'll just be checking in next week to see if Warren finishes undefeated. Have a great Holiday and off season. PA Nation, "you made it happen, way to go". Proud of each and every one who participated. 8)

oldjacketman

Didn't just change uniforms, but helmets as well. No public school I know of in 5A could bring two helmets.

PA Dad

Quote from: oldjacketman on December 04, 2016, 07:22:07 pm
Didn't just change uniforms, but helmets as well. No public school I know of in 5A could bring two helmets.

Reckon that was the key to victory?

oldjacketman

No. PA was clearly the better team. You will get no argument from me on that. Am curious tho, in all the talk about recruiting, advantages, etc.. you've been pretty open about the fact that you don't think PA has any. Would you support the zoning of PA as every other public school is? PA having it's own district and only kids with an address within that district being able to attend there?

PA Dad

Quote from: oldjacketman on December 04, 2016, 09:05:33 pm
No. PA was clearly the better team. You will get no argument from me on that. Am curious tho, in all the talk about recruiting, advantages, etc.. you've been pretty open about the fact that you don't think PA has any. Would you support the zoning of PA as every other public school is? PA having it's own district and only kids with an address within that district being able to attend there?

No.  but that's not because of football.  What most folks ignore is that PA's primary focus is academics,  not athletics.  Most of the football players started at PA in grade school.  Their parents put them there because of academics, not athletics.   I don't think kids who have been at PA since first grade should be prohibited from playing football because of where they live.

I would be open to prohibiting kids who move in in high school from within 75 miles of PA couldn't play football.  That smells like recruiting.  But that rarely happens at PA so it wouldn't have much impact.

oldjacketman

Every school's primary focus is academics. Kids in public schools have prohibitions based on where they live. 75 miles? Are you serious. Do you know how many miles a kid that plays at your average public school has to live from that school? So now that we get down to the basics, you don't want to play on the same, level playing field as public schools. How about we zone your school but any kid can continue their education there. However, to play sports there you must live within that zone. That would make all things equal. You good with that??

PA Dad

Quote from: oldjacketman on December 04, 2016, 09:23:14 pm
Every school's primary focus is academics. Kids in public schools have prohibitions based on where they live. 75 miles? Are you serious. Do you know how many miles a kid that plays at your average public school has to live from that school? So now that we get down to the basics, you don't want to play on the same, level playing field as public schools. How about we zone your school but any kid can continue their education there. However, to play sports there you must live within that zone. That would make all things equal. You good with that??

No.  That would force a kid(or his parents) to choose between getting the best education possible or playing football.  I think a student should be able to do both.

oldjacketman

So you're agreeing that you guys have a definite advantage over public schools. Thank you for clearing that up.

JessieP

"Get out of your "safe space", grow a set and stop being offended by crap that has zero affect on you personally."

Wow, at the end of the season we get what could very well be the dumbest quote of the year, possibly the decade.

First, how can a supporter of an elitist private school tell anyone to get out of their safe space? that entire school is a high priced 'safe space'. Coddled and pampered. Good Lord, safe space?

Second, if that wasn't bad enough they followed it up with "crap that has zero affect on you personally". Way to top the imbecilic 'safe space' comment. This is high school football we're discussing. It's not war strategy or cancer cures. Unless your a player or a coach it has no affect on ANYONE personally, none. Even if your a parent of a player it has no affect on you personally. If we abide by that rationale there would be no message board. No one would even post scores, no tv or print coverage. The people it affects personally already know the outcome so why include anyone else? It's entertainment, people are allowed to have opinions and thoughts, even though it doesn't affect them personally.

PA Dad

Quote from: oldjacketman on December 04, 2016, 09:42:00 pm
So you're agreeing that you guys have a definite advantage over public schools. Thank you for clearing that up.

I am, and I always have.

That's why the privates have to play up a classification.  That's an attempt, although far from a perfect one, to negate those advantages.

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on December 04, 2016, 09:52:09 pm
"Get out of your "safe space", grow a set and stop being offended by crap that has zero affect on you personally."

Wow, at the end of the season we get what could very well be the dumbest quote of the year, possibly the decade.

First, how can a supporter of an elitist private school tell anyone to get out of their safe space? that entire school is a high priced 'safe space'. Coddled and pampered. Good Lord, safe space?

Second, if that wasn't bad enough they followed it up with "crap that has zero affect on you personally". Way to top the imbecilic 'safe space' comment. This is high school football we're discussing. It's not war strategy or cancer cures. Unless your a player or a coach it has no affect on ANYONE personally, none. Even if your a parent of a player it has no affect on you personally. If we abide by that rationale there would be no message board. No one would even post scores, no tv or print coverage. The people it affects personally already know the outcome so why include anyone else? It's entertainment, people are allowed to have opinions and thoughts, even though it doesn't affect them personally.

Jessie, it would be helpful if you would hit the "quote " button of the post you are referencing and then post below it.  I can't find the post you are referring to here.

Thanks.

Old Scrapper

December 04, 2016, 10:06:50 pm #48 Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:10:26 pm by Old Scrapper
I can't believe this still is going on! I have a question, would this thread be a hot topic if Wynne would have won? I'll answer that NO

Old Scrapper

This same question could be used on the Private school vs Public school thread also.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas