• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pine Bluff High School "Respect or No Respect"

Started by TheESPNGuy, November 09, 2016, 10:12:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

zebradynasty

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 17, 2016, 05:15:03 pm
2017 Class Arkansas commits from Arkansas:

Adcock, Nashville NO SEC offers
Jackson, Robinson NO SEC offers
Barnes, Cabot NO SEC offers

Add another one Hayden Henry, PA! ::)

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on January 31, 2017, 02:11:15 pm
Blue shirt.

Blue Shirt.....more like BS the intent is to get a kid on scholarship why not just let him walk on?

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 31, 2017, 04:36:27 pm
Blue Shirt.....more like BS the intent is to get a kid on scholarship why not just let him walk on?

He does for a semester.

The Zebra Successor

Did anyone hear about the Pine Bluff QB Simeon Blair accepting walk on with Hogs in the spring '18 for DB ?

Made

Quote from: The Zebra Successor on April 19, 2017, 05:33:01 pm
Did anyone hear about the Pine Bluff QB Simeon Blair accepting walk on with Hogs in the spring '18 for DB ?
They were reading fearless and realized they had to throw PB a bone. ;)

ricepig

Quote from: The Zebra Successor on April 19, 2017, 05:33:01 pm

Why isn't he walking on for the fall of 2017?

Hoghead2

Pine Bluff is a noted Arkansas power. No need to ask for respect. Anyone in this state knows the Legend of the Zebras looms high. Play them if you think they're not.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hoghead2 on June 16, 2017, 07:38:50 pm
Pine Bluff is a noted Arkansas power. No need to ask for respect. Anyone in this state knows the Legend of the Zebras looms high. Play them if you think they're not.

Agreed. The only time I can remember Pine Bluff mot being a noted Arkansas power is when they hired the wrong head coach. It took them a few years to realize their mistake, send him packing, and hire the guy they have as HC now.

zebrafan

Quote from: GuvHog on June 18, 2017, 12:54:52 pm
Agreed. The only time I can remember Pine Bluff mot being a noted Arkansas power is when they hired the wrong head coach. It took them a few years to realize their mistake, send him packing, and hire the guy they have as HC now.
+1

BM22

I have loads of respect for PB. I believe it was my sophomore year in '83, when Eric Mitchel and the Z's put a beatdown on us, 27-0. In the '84 season, we kept it close against Mitchel and PB, losing 13-7. Finally got over the hump and got a narrow win, 10-7 in '85. Of course, EM was playing for the Sooners by then....Lol ... but a win against PB was always a big deal. Man, they were loaded with talent and Mitchel was one of the best athletes I have ever seen.

Rob Van Winkle

Har-Ber is going to travel to PB for a week 3 game in 2018 and it is all because of the tradition that PB has.

GuvHog

Quote from: BM22 on June 19, 2017, 10:25:15 am
I have loads of respect for PB. I believe it was my sophomore year in '83, when Eric Mitchel and the Z's put a beatdown on us, 27-0. In the '84 season, we kept it close against Mitchel and PB, losing 13-7. Finally got over the hump and got a narrow win, 10-7 in '85. Of course, EM was playing for the Sooners by then....Lol ... but a win against PB was always a big deal. Man, they were loaded with talent and Mitchel was one of the best athletes I have ever seen.

Mitchel was really good but the best Zebra player I have ever seen was Basil Shabazz. If he had been eligible to play for the U of A, I believe he would've set all kinds of records there.

BM22

Quote from: GuvHog on June 19, 2017, 11:51:27 am
Mitchel was really good but the best Zebra player I have ever seen was Basil Shabazz. If he had been eligible to play for the U of A, I believe he would've set all kinds of records there.
Yeah, Shabazz was the best i have ever seen as well, followed by Mitchel. Would have loved to have seen both Basil and Eric in a hog uni. Both would have set some records at Ark.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: GuvHog on June 19, 2017, 11:51:27 am
yeah Basil Shabazz was best football player in Arkansas high school history

zebrafan

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on June 19, 2017, 11:23:38 am
Har-Ber is going to travel to PB for a week 3 game in 2018 and it is all because of the tradition that PB has.
Really? That's a good match up...I wonder if we're dropping Cabot after this year and moving Northside back to week one! Hmmm

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: zebrafan on June 19, 2017, 04:26:55 pm

Really? That's a good match up...I wonder if we're dropping Cabot after this year and moving Northside back to week one! Hmmm

Yes it will be a very good match up. Zebras will pay a return visit to HB in 2019. I love seeing some NWA and Central Arkansas games!!!

zebrafan

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on June 19, 2017, 04:31:14 pm
Yes it will be a very good match up. Zebras will pay a return visit to HB in 2019. I love seeing some NWA and Central Arkansas games!!!
Cool deal! That will be a tough test for the Z's! Definitely like when PB plays NW ark teams especially when the Hogs are at home the next day😀

zebradynasty

Quote from: zebrafan on June 19, 2017, 04:26:55 pm

I knew we were going to drop Cabot (don't expect them to be back on our schedule soon) but had not heard who was going to take their place. Nice replacement though!

zebrafan

Quote from: zebradynasty on June 20, 2017, 12:16:19 am
I knew we were going to drop Cabot (don't expect them to be back on our schedule soon) but had not heard who was going to take their place. Nice replacement though!
Indeed, hopefully we can split with Cabot since they got us last year😬

Hoghead2

Quote from: BM22 on June 19, 2017, 12:07:13 pm
Yeah, Shabazz was the best i have ever seen as well, followed by Mitchel. Would have loved to have seen both Basil and Eric in a hog uni. Both would have set some records at Ark.
Don't forget Eric Mitchells cousin Danny Bradley. He was another PB great. He became a legendary QB at Oklahoma in the 80's

GuvHog

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on June 19, 2017, 02:14:40 pm
yeah Basil Shabazz was best football player in Arkansas high school history

If Shabazz had gone the JUCO route as the Hog coaching staff encouraged him to do, He could possibly have gotten a scholarship offer from Arkansas as a Junior but he took the Pro baseball signing bonus instead. That didn't work out either.

protegewill

Quote from: TheESPNGuy on November 09, 2016, 09:31:43 pm
One of the reasons why I asked Respect or No Respect is because Pine Bluff High doesn't get much or hardly any exposure in the Nothwest Arkansas area which in large part makes it rough for people across the state particular in that area to really understand what kind of program the Zebras have. People in that area are so loaded with 7A teams that I honestly feel they look down on the rest of the state in terms of competition. Pine Bluff High finished in the MaxPrep Top 100 last year going undefeated (13-0) with victories over 7A teams Fort Smith Northside (our longest active rival) & North Little Rock as well as a victory of 6A power Greenwood. The lack of exposure in that area and because of the great distance really plays apart when it comes to people respecting the program or even keeping up with them. In the past the Z's have also played Fayetteville, Fort Smith Southside, & Bentonville back in the old 5A set up. So I think you can better understand the post now and what I am asking.
To your point the NWA teams have had more recognition not necessarily success playing against out of state teams and that is partially why they talked about more than Z's. Unfortunately, a Bobby Bolding coached Z's team has not had the pleasure of playing North Louisiana, Mississippi, or any out of state teams like we did say 15 to 20 years ago. It takes more than just some fan chatter and desire for the Z's to be successful against those teams. I think that presently scheduling an out of state team would go along way to help change the perception of the lack of respect that the Z's receive. We've had success consistently for years since Coach BB has gotten here. We were on a decline when Coach Joe Hart retired. It was evident when we where in the highest classification around 2004-2006 (I believe) We lost quite a few games then. No one can argue that talent and passion is not here it was the leadership that we needed. When you are not winning games it's hard for the (perceived) biased news stations to say something good about you. They seem to talk about things other than football. I personally that we are just have to catch up with NWA as far as resources to be able to change that perception the way things presently are. A perfect example is when the Z's beat Benton in the championship game it was their specifically their television stations, radio stations, cameras, sports commentators, and overall resources that got the game televised and even enabled to be posted on youtube in good quality. The (biased) way in which the game was call was very evident. Not taking anything away from Benton. I think the PB and/or Southeast Arkansas market is open and ready to be capitalized on in that regard.

GuvHog

Quote from: protegewill on July 31, 2017, 02:19:27 pm
To your point the NWA teams have had more recognition not necessarily success playing against out of state teams and that is partially why they talked about more than Z's. Unfortunately, a Bobby Bolding coached Z's team has not had the pleasure of playing North Louisiana, Mississippi, or any out of state teams like we did say 15 to 20 years ago. It takes more than just some fan chatter and desire for the Z's to be successful against those teams. I think that presently scheduling an out of state team would go along way to help change the perception of the lack of respect that the Z's receive. We've had success consistently for years since Coach BB has gotten here. We were on a decline when Coach Joe Hart retired. It was evident when we where in the highest classification around 2004-2006 (I believe) We lost quite a few games then. No one can argue that talent and passion is not here it was the leadership that we needed. When you are not winning games it's hard for the (perceived) biased news stations to say something good about you. They seem to talk about things other than football. I personally that we are just have to catch up with NWA as far as resources to be able to change that perception the way things presently are. A perfect example is when the Z's beat Benton in the championship game it was their specifically their television stations, radio stations, cameras, sports commentators, and overall resources that got the game televised and even enabled to be posted on youtube in good quality. The (biased) way in which the game was call was very evident. Not taking anything away from Benton. I think the PB and/or Southeast Arkansas market is open and ready to be capitalized on in that regard.

Yep, I remember while coach Hart was there, they scheduled games against Monroe-Neville which was a gutsy move and PB usually got hammered pretty good by them.

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on July 31, 2017, 02:41:17 pm
Yep, I remember while coach Hart was there, they scheduled games against Monroe-Neville which was a gutsy move and PB usually got hammered pretty good by them.

I'll do some checking but I think we split the series with them.

AHS06

PB should have the upper hand on Neville during this era.  I believe West Monroe is running that area.  PB could deep over here in East Texas.  That is a tough task and they would probably get beat but I would think they'll hold their own in due time.

T-Bone

One thing I know is those who get respect also lose games like all others.  I respect any player willing to step on the field and play the game.  Some are better than others at the game but all deserve respect.

protegewill

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 31, 2017, 04:08:04 pm
I'll do some checking but I think we split the series with them.

You are correct. Each team lost at home game. 

protegewill

Quote from: protegewill on August 01, 2017, 08:10:29 am
You are correct. Each team lost at home game.
to be more accurate. In fall of "99" we went to Neville La and won on a last second touchdown. Mark Bradley caught a pass from either Omar Blunt or Melvin Thomas and then he fumbled near the goal line the ball went into the endzone and Derrick Surratt recovered the fumble and it was ruled a touchdown. In the fall of "00" they came to Jordan Stadium and won by around a 17pt margin if I am remember correctly. As for the other times we played I can not say.

sportsguy80

Quote from: zebrafan on June 19, 2017, 04:49:14 pm
Cool deal! That will be a tough test for the Z's! Definitely like when PB plays NW ark teams especially when the Hogs are at home the next day😀
I would also loved to see these two teams play each other the last couple of seasons. There would have been some marquee matchups to look at. I see some great games when they play.

zebrafan

Quote from: sportsguy80 on August 01, 2017, 07:55:04 pm
I would also loved to see these two teams play each other the last couple of seasons. There would have been some marquee matchups to look at. I see some great games when they play.
No kidding.

GuvHog

Quote from: AHS06 on July 31, 2017, 04:12:11 pm
PB should have the upper hand on Neville during this era.  I believe West Monroe is running that area.  PB could deep over here in East Texas.  That is a tough task and they would probably get beat but I would think they'll hold their own in due time.

I agree. With the HC that Pine Bluff has now, they would have the upper hand on Monroe-Neville.

businesstron

August 02, 2017, 04:19:46 pm #232 Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:07:19 am by businesstron
Quote from: GuvHog on August 02, 2017, 03:07:40 pm
I agree. With the HC that Pine Bluff has now, they would have the upper hand on Monroe-Neville.

I gotta disagree there.   Monroe and Neville would wipe the floor with Pine Bluff in most years.  Most years they usually have a couple SEC level athletes on their teams.  West Monroe is the best team in that area but not by much.  Neville lost in their championship game last to Edna Karr (a new Orleans team that usually has 8 or 9 D1 athletes on their rosters in most years) but they also beat Shreveport Evangel soundly,  a team who most would say was the best in the state by the end of the year. 

How Pine Bluff plays and the athletes they have wouldn't be anything new to those schools down there.   They may match up with Ouachita Parish a little better but even they may have more talent then Pine Bluff.

Lions84

I been proud of Pine Bluff breaking the NWA hold on 6A State Championship!

AHS06

Quote from: Lions84 on August 02, 2017, 08:37:37 pm
I been proud of Pine Bluff breaking the NWA hold on 6A State Championship!
What do you mean?

Beardad

Quote from: protegewill on August 01, 2017, 08:25:26 am
to be more accurate. In fall of "99" we went to Neville La and won on a last second touchdown. Mark Bradley caught a pass from either Omar Blunt or Melvin Thomas and then he fumbled near the goal line the ball went into the endzone and Derrick Surratt recovered the fumble and it was ruled a touchdown. In the fall of "00" they came to Jordan Stadium and won by around a 17pt margin if I am remember correctly. As for the other times we played I can not say.

PB played @ Neville in 1993 i believe...Rod Stinson at RB....Neville's defense was out of this world,  The Neville free safety came down on 1 play and met Stinson at the LOS and knocked him out of the game.....incredible hit

Coach Mac

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas