• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Wrestling Thread

Started by VHSCoach2, January 29, 2016, 11:06:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigLion10

Another big SummerSlam moment for the Hart Family as Natalya wins the SD women's title

BigLion10

Randy Orton with the RKO outta nowhere to pick up the real quick victory after Rusev ambushed him before the match began

jbtiger73

Rusev is officially buried along with Corbin

BigLion10

Jinder Mahal along with the Singh Brothers keep the WWE title

1-Adam-12

August 20, 2017, 09:29:05 pm #304 Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:38:34 pm by 1-Adam-12
Sasha Banks knocks off Alexa Bliss and becomes a 4x Raw Women's Champion! 

And no heel turn by either Sasha or Bayley.  At least not tonight.

AJ Styles retains the US championship. 

So far, everyone I've wanted to win has won, except Nakamura.

VHSCoach2

Here was my order of enjoyment for NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III:

Asuka/Ember Moon
Andrade "Cien" Almas/Johnny Gargano
Aleister Black/Hideo Itami
SAnitY/Authors of Pain
Drew McIntyre/Bobby Roode

Not a bad match in the bunch.

SummerSlam on the other hand...

Great-tier:
Usos/New Day
Shield/Dublin-07
Lesnar/Strowman/Reigns/Joe

Good-tier:
Styles/Owens
Banks/Bliss
Balor/Wyatt
Neville/Tozawa
Natalya/Naomi
Mahal/Nakamura

Okay-tier
Miztourage/Hardyz & Jordan
Cena/Corbin

Bad-tier:
Cass/Show
Orton/Rusev

jbtiger73

I would put Cena and Corbin in that bad tier. Just for logical booking reasons only. Cena definitely used his perverbial shovel.

1-Adam-12

And two more are down.

Asuka out 6-8 weeks with broken collarbone.  And yet she still remained unbeaten.  That took some guts, as it turned out.

Big Cass appeared to hurt his knee tonight in his match against Enzo.  They had to stop the match, so probably legit.

jbtiger73

Definitely legit knee injury. May require surgery from what I heard.

1-Adam-12

August 22, 2017, 10:20:45 pm #309 Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:32:15 pm by 1-Adam-12
Bobby Roode to SmackDown. Shelton Benjamin back, too.

Big Cass torn ACL and meniscus.  Could be out 9 months. 

I don't care for the guy but sure don't want anyone to get injured and have to miss time doing what he loves.

VHSCoach2

10 fascinating facts about SummerSlam 2011:

VHSCoach2

10 fascinating facts about SummerSlam 2012:

VHSCoach2

10 fascinating facts about SummerSlam 2013:

1-Adam-12

Asuka has relinquished her NXT women's title because of her injury.

I have a feeling that when she returns it will be on the main roster of either Raw or SmackDown.

no mascot

VHSCoach2

10 fascinating facts about SummerSlam 2014:

VHSCoach2

10 fascinating facts about SummerSlam 2015:

1-Adam-12

August 28, 2017, 09:38:57 pm #317 Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:19:42 pm by 1-Adam-12
Again the ladies stole the show. That was a good one. Alexa wins it back. And then Nia Jax turns on Alexa.  Other than that and the Rollins/Ambrose/Cesaro/Sheamus stuff which I've gotten to like, it was a lot of wasted time.

I was actually rooting for Gallows and Anderson, and I thought I'd never do that. I've never really cared for Cena and I do not like Reigns at all. 

And the Emma/Mickie thing was absolutely pathetic. Maybe even worse than the time Alexa did the This Is Your Life segment on Bayley. And that was pretty bad.

VHSCoach2

10 fascinating facts about SummerSlam 2016:

1-Adam-12

This women's division on Raw is getting crazy.  Emma has all of a sudden stuck herself right in the middle of it and stole a pin on Sasha from Nia Jax.  Now she and Nia are both getting title shots in a fatal 4-way with Alexa and Sasha at No Mercy. 

And maybe Show is not as washed up as I thought.  He gave Strowman all he wanted in the cage match.  Overall it was a pretty good Raw on Monday.

1-Adam-12

September 12, 2017, 10:08:38 pm #320 Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:11:12 pm by 1-Adam-12
Jeez.  Has Dolph Ziggler completely lost it?

Last week and this week on SmackDown he has come out to the introductions of, and dressed as, Randy Savage, Naomi, Ultimate Warrior, Bayley, and Shane McMahon among others.  SMH.

And Bayley wasn't too happy about his imitation of her.

jbtiger73

Smackdown definitely went over the edge a lot tonight. From the picachu seisure comment from Jinder Mahal to Nakamura, to the Dolph parodies. Pair that with the awesome in ring action, and Mr McMahon getting beat down by Kevin Owens, smackdown once again had a great show that made raw look like impact wrestling. And raw was pretty good the other night. So that's definitely saying something. Now if smackdown can bring it like Raw can on PPV events. That's been smackdown's achellies heel. Producing great ppv's. That's mainly due to Vince allowing Road Dogg to have more say on smackdown. But Vince having full control at the ppv's.

VHSCoach2

What a night of wrestling WWE gave us last night. Smackdown Live, the finals of the Mae Young Classic, and 205 Live were all great shows.  If you don't follow 205 Live, you should. The Cruiserweights are actually allowed to wrestle 10+ minute matches on it (plus, Breezango made an appearance last night). 

BigLion10

Boy ole Dolph has really been going at the fans here lately. Looks like he's finally got tired of being overlooked by gimmacks

jbtiger73

I definitely see him in a feud with Bobby Roode very soon. They're definitely setting it up for that. With Roode's entrance and everything. Fits in perfect with this feud.

1-Adam-12

Once she gets well, Asuka is headed to Raw.

So many ways they could go with this.  But all things lead to a championship push IMO, mainly because of her unbeaten record in NXT.

For right now, whoever is champion when she comes in would be a first target.  It would be most interesting if this turned out to be Nia Jax.  She and Alexa actually had a discussion about "someone else" coming in during Raw last Monday.

Another dynamic that will come into play would be a returning Bayley. She and Asuka had two incredible matches in NXT.  Looks like the Huggable One is about 3 weeks to a month away from being back in the ring.

The Raw Women's Division may be about to come out of the chaos that they have been in, I would say since Alexa and Charlotte swapped shows back in April.

BigLion10

I've never been a Bayley fan even on NXT she is too much like Cena except with a lot less talent

1-Adam-12

September 14, 2017, 03:07:25 pm #327 Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:23:34 pm by 1-Adam-12
Quote from: jbtiger73 on September 13, 2017, 02:41:49 pm
I definitely see him in a feud with Bobby Roode very soon. They're definitely setting it up for that. With Roode's entrance and everything. Fits in perfect with this feud.

I honestly didn't even think about that.  You have a very good point and it might get Dolph back in the spotlight where he feels he belongs.

Wow, what Kevin Owens did with Vince.  Talk about making yourself the biggest heel on SmackDown.

On my last statement, the RWD may even be overloaded with talent now.  Summer Rae is back in action (but only in dark matches right now), everybody is expecting Paige to return at any time, and with Asuka coming on board now I could see moves to SmackDown or NXT coming. 

Dana Brooke would be near the top of my list to return to NXT for additional training.  And as an aside, it's pretty bad that they have Mickie James pretty much working as a jobber right now.  She deserves better.

VHSCoach2

The greatest manager in the history of the business passed away today.

Rest in Peace, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan.

1-Adam-12

The Brain wasn't my favorite (Jimmy Hart was) but I would agree he was the best.  Nobody could do it like him, and he was one heck of an announcer too.  RIP.

jbtiger73

He always had a phrase that I use today. When he would call the fans humanoids. I actually really thought that he had an actual hatred for Hulk Hogan. That what made their feuds in the 80's so great.

1-Adam-12

September 18, 2017, 03:50:25 pm #331 Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 03:56:52 pm by 1-Adam-12
Looks like Braun Strowman can focus completely on Brock Lesnar now because Samoa Joe, Big Cass and Big Show are all now out injured and Roman Reigns has shifted his sights to John Cena.

It's like a M*A*S*H unit on Raw right now. Those three plus Scott Dawson and Bayley have all been injured within the last two months.

1-Adam-12

And now it's Alexa vs. Nia vs. Sasha vs. Emma...

vs. Bayley!

After Nia polished off Alexa tonight and started after Sasha, Bayley hit the ring. Nia got knocked out of the ring by the other three, then Sasha and Bayley double-teamed Alexa.

Even though I like Bayley I have some reservations about how it all went down.

And, is Reigns finally starting to get a little over with the fans?  Actually saw a few hand slaps with the fans after his promo.

VHSCoach2

Not gonna lie, I shed a few tears during the video tribute to The Brain.

If there is one thing that WWE cannot do wrong, it's video packages.

1-Adam-12

Yes, that was excellent.  And they made references throughout the show as well.  I caught a "ham-and-egger" spiel at one point, which was one of the Brain's go-to phrases.

jbtiger73

I'm feeling the same way about Bayley. I understand why they did it. Maybe for fan appeal. Especially the little girls. I could actually see her winning and setting up the Sasha Banks heel turn like originally planned. Or maybe Nia wins due to Sasha being in control of the match. And Bayley wants revenge on Nia for putting her out. Which sets Sasha off. But I'm definitely surprised they didn't include any of the WCW stuff. But he really didn't have any funny backstage moments there. He had a few moments at the announce table there. Especially with him, Tony and Dusty. Great video package though. Looks like they had so much fun filming those, with Gorilla and Mean Gene.

BigLion10

Looks like Ziggler decided to mock DX last night Michaels and Triple H

jbtiger73

Definitely was a major shot at HHH. But what's up with those uneasy promos from Jinder Mahal to Nakamura? I definitely agreed with the fans when they chanted "that's too far".

1-Adam-12

September 24, 2017, 08:13:38 pm #338 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 10:01:26 pm by 1-Adam-12
Ye Gods.  Wish I had gotten the WWEN for this (I almost did).  Been keeping up through multiple online sources.

Observations:  They need to turn Jason Jordan heel  He is getting nothing as a face.  Miz got all the pop, and the win too.

Finn ate a table before the match started and then he and Bray put on a show with Finn coming out on top.  Note:  This feud needs to end.

Cesaro legit lost two teeth in that tag match.  And still kept on.  I already liked him but now even more respect.  Ambrose and Rollins retain but I would not have been disappointed if it had gone the other way.

The ladies had an incredible match.  As expected they tried to take Nia out, hitting a quad powerbomb. Interesting that Bayley and Sasha stopped each other's finishers (the heel turn may come on Raw).  Surprised a bit that Bliss won (thought it would be Jax or Bayley), and hated that Bayley ate the pin.

Reigns/Cena was decent but in the end, one more reason for me to HATE Reigns.  Don't like Cena much either, but I cannot stand Roman.  And it looks like Cena will be leaving for a while, too.

Oh my.  Enzo Amore is the Cruiserweight Champion.  What is the world coming to. That is all I have to say.

I thought going in that Braun, for all his might, was maybe a little clumsy and that Lesnar would at some point take advantage and hit an F5 for the win.  Called that!

VHSCoach2

No Mercy was a bit of a let down. For WWE hyping up "two WrestleMania-caliber matches," the show sure took a nose dive after the tag title match.

Here's how I would rank the matches last night in terms of enjoyment for me from greatest to least:

1. Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins vs. Cesaro and Sheamus
2. Finn Balor vs. Bray Wyatt
3. Alexa Bliss vs. Bayley vs. Emma vs. Nia Jax vs. Sasha Banks
4. Elias vs. Apollo Crews
5. John Cena vs. Roman Reigns
6. Jason Jordan vs. The Miz
7. Braun Strowman vs. Brock Lesnar
8. Enzo Amore vs. Neville

1-Adam-12

September 25, 2017, 09:30:13 pm #340 Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:32:53 pm by 1-Adam-12
I'd reverse 2/3.  And mostly because of that incredible quad powerbomb on Nia Jax.  I've never seen anything like it before.  Nothing touches that tag match.

I'd also reverse 5/6, but only just.

And wow, did Mickie James teach Alexa not to run her big mouth too much tonight!  Glad they're putting Mickie back in a feud.  She deserves it.

I never rooted for the Miz in my life.  I did tonight.

Loving more aggression by Bayley.  And the best promo I've seen her have, calling out Nia!  No heel turn though!

1-Adam-12

It is rumored that Paige returns next month, and when she does it will be on SmackDown.

jbtiger73

Apparently, Enzo and Corey Graves are in a legit beef now. Over comments that Corey made after his so made a play in a little league game. He mentioned that after the play, he celebrated with the Enzo dance. And Graves jokingly said that " he's failed as a parent". Enzo responded by saying that"you didn't fail as a parent, you failed as a wrestler. Now go put your suit on and sit down at the desk" how you doin.

VHSCoach2

The final build to HIAC happened on a pretty good episode of Smackdown Live last night.  It's always nice to see Tye Dillinger get a win, especially at the expense of Baron Corbin, who oppositely, it is always nice to see lose.

However, I wish Becky Lynch was in the women's title picture.  Maybe we'll get a slow build for Becky vs. Charlotte (who turns heel along the way) for WrestleMania 34.

jbtiger73

They're now actually talking about Bayley turning heel. That would definitely be interesting. I believe she actually would make a great heel. If she fully embraced it. But I know wwe's merch sales for her would probably go on a major decline.

1-Adam-12

October 04, 2017, 06:14:19 pm #345 Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:25:25 pm by 1-Adam-12
I'd like Becky Lynch to have a title shot as well. Enjoy her style and love her entrance.  She was the first SmackDown women's champion and I hope she can get another turn.

Mickie James looks like she's finally getting a deserved push on Raw.  She'll have a shot at the title vs. Alexa at TLC.

And I have also seen the Bayley heel talk.  As I stated before Creative must handle it carefully if it's to happen.  The scene at the last Raw, where the young fan got both Bayley's jacket and Sasha's glasses, shows what they have to deal with. Plus the merchandise situation you mentioned.

It wouldn't be impossible from the merch standpoint though.  Kevin Owens is probably the biggest heel in the whole WWE and his stuff sells pretty well.

When Bayley first came to NXT she was a semi-heel, playing an obsessive fangirl who interfered by hugging.

It would definitely be interesting.  Many are saying she might take on a "dark side" character, similar to Paige.

VHSCoach2

WarGames is back, gentlemen.

WarGames is back.

1-Adam-12

Just read about the death of Lance Russell at the age of 91. 

He was the voice of Memphis wrestling for a long time, and I can remember him on the Memphis TV stations (5 and 13) during the formative days of Jerry Lawler and "Superstar" Bill Dundee, among many others. 

jbtiger73

Definitely excited about war games. One of my favorite pay per views. I remember growing up in Brinkley, and watching channel 5 out of Memphis every Saturday morning. With Lance Russell and the weather man, Dave Brown, and eventually Corey Macklin. That was when Vince started buying out the territories like USWA, Smokey Mountain Wrestling, among others. Lance Russell was definitely one of my favorites.

BigLion10

I remember watching war games in WCW, where they would have to rings side by side and surround it with a huge cage for the main event. There was usually 3 or 4 teams of 3 involved so it was always exciting

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas