• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Major disappointment in Arkansas schools.

Started by G-Town38, February 01, 2012, 05:10:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Town38

With national signing day coming and going, I have to say I am vary disappointed in the in state schools.
How do you NOT, recruit a kid, who has been atop the rushing stats within the state for the last two years. He has a 3.48 GPA and scored a 25 on the ACT. Two time all state, Vype newcomer of the year (offense). 3300+ yards rushing in two years as a starter. Finalist for the farm bureau offensive player of the year. NWA media offensive player of the year. KURM dream team member. Conference back of the year. And an all star selection.
He has been called too short and even 1 school told him he was "too short and too white". I will not name that school for obvious slanderous reasons. But I believe I could win a lawsuit on that.
Anyway, I just wanted to vent and air out my frustration. Thanks for reading and feel free to either post on this or boot me off for my remarks.

mr.gametime

G-Town38

mr.gametime

What do he run the 40 time in?...and size plays a major part in recruiting...especially when play high school ball at a lower classification....undersized kids that do get recruited usually have played football at a higher classification and have proven they can compete with much larger players.... 

dc24

Well he definitely tore us up, I can't imagine him not being good enough for a school, but then again, schools have to do their own recruiting and observations.  It sucks.

mr.gametime

If he really thinks he can play on the next level he should enroll in a school and try to walk on to there football program and earn a scholarship

G-Town38

Quote from: mr.gametime on February 01, 2012, 05:44:06 pm
What do he run the 40 time in?...and size plays a major part in recruiting...especially when play high school ball at a lower classification....undersized kids that do get recruited usually have played football at a higher classification and have proven they can compete with much larger players.... 

I can tell you, that 3 different schools clocked him in the 4.5 to 4.55 range during combines last summer. As far as the bigger school versus small school thing is concerned, that is a crock of BS, in my opinion. If you put this kid in a bigger school, he may have had better numbers than he did this year. The past two years, he was the focus point of almost every defense the team faced. Some teams spied him with two sometimes 3 players, in an effort to shut him down. In a bigger school, they usually have more than just one player to worry about.

AirWarren

Did he send recruiting videos out? Sometimes hustling yourself is the best and only option for kids. I hate that for the guy.

I know UAM would have taken him!

AirWarren

Jalen Cobb did sign his letter of intent to Coffeville Community college in Kansas. Let's hope he get's it together and puts on that razorback red soon.

Jack1990

Quote from: G-Town38 on February 01, 2012, 05:10:48 pm
With national signing day coming and going, I have to say I am vary disappointed in the in state schools.
How do you NOT, recruit a kid, who has been atop the rushing stats within the state for the last two years. He has a 3.48 GPA and scored a 25 on the ACT. Two time all state, Vype newcomer of the year (offense). 3300+ yards rushing in two years as a starter. Finalist for the farm bureau offensive player of the year. NWA media offensive player of the year. KURM dream team member. Conference back of the year. And an all star selection.
He has been called too short and even 1 school told him he was "too short and too white". I will not name that school for obvious slanderous reasons. But I believe I could win a lawsuit on that.
Anyway, I just wanted to vent and air out my frustration. Thanks for reading and feel free to either post on this or boot me off for my remarks.
That is a shame.  I only got to see Darrick play one game, but that was one game too many for my Jacks.  We didn't have an answer for him.  I can think of numerous schools that could use a back like that.  Wish him the best!

G-Town38

Thanks Jack. We will continue to pursue this dream with him, but it is not too much in our control. Most schools are done signing kids I'm guessing. Somebody will pick him up and others will regret their decision not to take him. I'm hoping that this will increase his drive even more and that he takes on that "honey badger" mentality. Not the synthetic dope thing. LOL.

Lions84

Busman

Is he on the AHSCA All-Star squad?  A good showing there often results in a late scholarship offer.

G-Town38

He decided to decline that because it is the same week as his youth ministry meeting in Louisiana.

polksalet

this kid wound up going D-2. I know some of these guys are a little small and half a step slow but I'd definitely take a chance on them being an inside receiver if I wasn't loaded with world class sprinters.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/highschool/11/29/joseph-sadler/index.html

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/high_school_football/article/Ignored-by-D-I-schools-Sadler-out-to-prove-point-2643016.php

Wahls

He's 5'6" 160. Not hard to figure out.

You can't put 20 pounds on him and retain his speed, and without 20 pounds he won't be durable. That's why they don't recruit backs that are both short and small. Players don't project well with that frame.

It's not that he's too short, too slow, or not quick enough. It's the combination of those things in conjunction with the fact that he only weighs 160 that hurts him.

He's not anywhere near as talented as DeShaun Bagby (5'7" 160) and Bagby got nothing but an offer to walk-on at Ole Miss. Bagby is one of the most talented HS football players I have ever seen. He's at Arkansas Tech right now not playing at all.

Send him to a JUCO and hope for the best. He seems like a great kid.

MONSTER

Let him walk on and get financial aid to pay for his classes. Work out hard for the coaches they will see he is foreal,and if he deserves it they will reward him a scholorship after a year or so! Maybe with that size he might wanna go to a slot WR

Wahls

Quote from: MONSTER on February 16, 2012, 07:54:04 am
Let him walk on and get financial aid to pay for his classes. Work out hard for the coaches they will see he is foreal,and if he deserves it they will reward him a scholorship after a year or so! Maybe with that size he might wanna go to a slot WR

This.

G-Town38

Quote from: Wahls on February 15, 2012, 08:57:18 pm
He's 5'6" 160. Not hard to figure out.

You can't put 20 pounds on him and retain his speed, and without 20 pounds he won't be durable. That's why they don't recruit backs that are both short and small. Players don't project well with that frame.

It's not that he's too short, too slow, or not quick enough. It's the combination of those things in conjunction with the fact that he only weighs 160 that hurts him.

He's not anywhere near as talented as DeShaun Bagby (5'7" 160) and Bagby got nothing but an offer to walk-on at Ole Miss. Bagby is one of the most talented HS football players I have ever seen. He's at Arkansas Tech right now not playing at all.

Send him to a JUCO and hope for the best. He seems like a great kid.

He is actually 5' 7" almost 5' 8" and weighs anywhere from 175 to 184. If you are looking up his size on one of them recruiting web sites or something like that, most of those are from his freshman or sophomore year. As far as his speed? He has gained speed as he has grown, so I don't think that is the problem. That's ok though. He will be playing for someone, and it probably won't be an Arkansas school. I just hope he gets to play a couple of them and makes them, one in particular, regret not taking him on.

Wahls

Most kids with his frame get told to put on weight, and then they get too stiff.

In any case, he would be a great JUCO candidate.

Iknewthemwhen

Colleges don't turn down kids that they think can play.  They sometimes have more kids on their lists than they have slots open, they often don't think a kid fits their system.  There are lots of kids out there that sound like this young man, and there are many that are as talented and bigger and faster.  That is where the recruiting comes to rest.  They are making educated guesses based on the eye test.  What are you going to take, this kid or one just a tad faster, bigger, stronger?   The odds are what they are playing.  Do they miss, sure sometimes they do.

G-Town38

Turns out that a couple of schools feel differently than the instate schools. William Jewell College, a DII school in Liberty Mo, and Avila, a NAIA school in Kansas City, have both offered him. Will be anxious to see which school he will choose.

Skunk Ape, Esq.

The harsh reality of this whole situation is that many, many kids just like this young man go unrecruited/unsigned out of high school because he is a dime a dozen in terms of football. I know you will probably take that the wrong way, but it's the truth. If he were 6'0" 200 and had the same skill set that it sounds like he has, this wouldn't have been an issue. I know he can't help his height, and in a lot of cases his weight but that's just the cold hard truth.

College recruiting is a cut throat business. And, sadly, the "he played at a larger school" mentality is not BS in college coaching eyes. Did his coaches go out and try to help him as well? Sometimes, it takes a few phone calls from the staff to any kind of contacts they have and every now and then one of them pans out.

With that being said...I hope one of the possibilities you mentioned work out for him.

Lion Man

With his size and speed he should have considered a baseball scholarship.
Were any of the Arkansas schools interested in him for baseball?

zebradynasty

Quote from: Skunk Ape, Esq. on February 24, 2012, 08:43:34 am
The harsh reality of this whole situation is that many, many kids just like this young man go unrecruited/unsigned out of high school because he is a dime a dozen in terms of football. I know you will probably take that the wrong way, but it's the truth. If he were 6'0" 200 and had the same skill set that it sounds like he has, this wouldn't have been an issue. I know he can't help his height, and in a lot of cases his weight but that's just the cold hard truth.

College recruiting is a cut throat business. And, sadly, the "he played at a larger school" mentality is not BS in college coaching eyes. Did his coaches go out and try to help him as well? Sometimes, it takes a few phone calls from the staff to any kind of contacts they have and every now and then one of them pans out.

With that being said...I hope one of the possibilities you mentioned work out for him.

True the number of 5-7 or 5-8 160-170lb 4.6 range RB in Arkansas is common place.

G-Town38

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 25, 2012, 01:10:43 am

True the number of 5-7 or 5-8 160-170lb 4.6 range RB in Arkansas is common place.

While I appreciate your "brutal" ;) honesty, it is just hard for me to understand how these kids get overlooked. Especially ones who have the accolades and numbers like this. But as I stated before, he WILL be playing at the next level as a scholarship player, and it will not be at an Arkansas school. That is what my biggest disappointment is. Why would you not actively try to pursue one of your own? Especially when out of state schools are pursuing them? Oh well time will tell. He may be short in stature, but so is Sproles, Woodhead, and the greatest back of all time Barry Sanders. (The dad of course)

TheHogHead

I hope nothing but the best for this young man, but the reality of big school football is that most of their teams have backups that are bigger and faster and in alot of cases just plain better than the starters at small schools.  Theses same "studs" at 2A, 3A and 4A schools would often not even be third stringers at 5A, 6A, or 7A schools.

Not saying that is the case here, but it is the case in almost all of these situations.

dc24

Quote from: TheHogHead on February 25, 2012, 03:54:32 pm
I hope nothing but the best for this young man, but the reality of big school football is that most of their teams have backups that are bigger and faster and in alot of cases just plain better than the starters at small schools.  Theses same "studs" at 2A, 3A and 4A schools would often not even be third stringers at 5A, 6A, or 7A schools.

Not saying that is the case here, but it is the case in almost all of these situations.

I have to beg to differ with you.  I'm not arguing that higher classifications have better players, but for you to say that the "studs" at 2A, 3A, and 4A schools wouldn't even start at bigger schools is "almost all of the cases" is ridiculous.

Warren, a 4A school has had several D1 athletes the past 12 years or so and I can guarantee they would have started at other schools in this state, regardless of classification and that's not to mention some of the D2 guys we've had or guys that didn't cut it in the classroom that had D1 talent.  Did you see who the UA signed this year in state?  You have a "stud" from Bearden, East Poinsett County, and Pottsville (along with having Cobb from Warren committed until he didn't make grades) signed along with a kid from White Hall and the Dean kid from Fayetteville high that was supposed to have signed last year.  Where are all the 7A signees and 6A signees.  I mean these kids couldn't have cut it at a bigger school right?  What about Jemar Clark from McCrory, Jackson from Ozark, Heath and Walker from Rison, and Knighten from PA that signed with ASU?  You don't think those kids could have started at bigger schools.

Oh and I just looked back at your post and you said, "wouldn't even be third stringers" at bigger schools.  Hahaha wow.  I saw this kid play, and I don't doubt he wasn't a legit 4.5 guy and the kid was a football player.  I think any D2 school in the state would have been lucky to get it and any D1 program would have loved to have him as a walk on.  Then again though, the kid wouldn't have been a third stringer at Bentonville or Rogers or Springdale.  I'll call bull on that one.  There's a ton of starters at the big schools that never play the next level of football, and 2nd stringers for that matter too.

I really understand what you're trying to say I think, but you're doing it in the crappiest and most demeaning way possible.  I'll take college recruiters' opinions over yours anyday.  By your logic, these guys should be watching Bentonville, Fayetteville, and Rogers play JV games.  I mean, heck, the Razorbacks shouldn't have even ventured down to southern Arkansas to see Jay Wright, Chris Gragg, Greg Childs, and Basmine Jones for that matter, play football.  I mean, these guys would have been lucky to be on the JV team on a 5A, 6A, or 7A school.

Ok, I think I'm done with that rant, although I could go longer.  I know that bigger schools provide a more numerous amount of quality players, but I think the quality players from most smaller programs are just as good as their quality players, just not as abundant obviously.

As for the kid in question, I don't know how he went overlooked honestly.  If I remember correctly, he was hurt some during the season, maybe that played a role?  I doubt it because he looked completely fine against us in the playoffs, but throwing that out there.  Maybe being in NWA in the shadows of the 7A west schools just prevented some of our D2 schools in the state from going to watch him, and I would guess ATU is the closest D2 school in the area from Arkansas.  I bet HSU, OBU, UAM, and SAU don't recruit much from NWA period so they may not have ever come to the area to recruit, and if they did go to NWA, they probably went to watch the bigger schools.  As someone pointed out earlier maybe his coaches didn't help much and maybe he didn't market himself enough.  I had a friend that signed with a D2 school out of state.  I know they wouldn't have ever heard of him or seen him had he not contacted them first and provided film. 

Like I said though, I do trust the college recruiters' opinions for the most part, and as ZD said, there do tend to be an abundance of kids that size and speed, and another thing to consider too is that for alot of teams, their best player is at RB alot of times so there's plenty of quality RB's around.  I'm glad he found somewhere to play though and I'll say it again, I would have loved to have him on my team if I was D2 coach in this state.  I only saw him in one game, but he was pretty awesome.

LH_DAD

Quote from: G-Town38 on February 25, 2012, 06:55:23 am
Quote from: zebradynasty on February 25, 2012, 01:10:43 am

While I appreciate your "brutal" ;) honesty, it is just hard for me to understand how these kids get overlooked. Especially ones who have the accolades and numbers like this. But as I stated before, he WILL be playing at the next level as a scholarship player, and it will not be at an Arkansas school. That is what my biggest disappointment is. Why would you not actively try to pursue one of your own? Especially when out of state schools are pursuing them? Oh well time will tell. He may be short in stature, but so is Sproles, Woodhead, and the greatest back of all time Barry Sanders. (The dad of course)
I understand how you feel.  I just went through this process with my son as well.  The whole process is flawed in my opinion.  But, nobody really cares about what I think, especially the guys doing the recruiting.  I do believe that they really care more about measurable more than what a kid does on the field in High School.  I don't like it either, but that approach has proven successful for colleges in their process.  Are they gonna miss out on some kids that can play at that level that are "undersized"?  Yes, I think that they do. 

My son had some great accomplishments playing at the 6A level in High School as well and only had one in state offer at the D2 level.  His size, (height) at 5'10" playing LB is what hurt him the most.  I too have heard some of the same comments that you heard from college coaches, but that is they way it is.  Like or not; it is a business.  I am sure that your boy will be just fine.  He has options and that is a wonderful thing.  Of the millions of kids that play High School football only about 2% get an opportunity to play at the D2 level or higher.  He is in a special category and I wish him much success.   

Skunk Ape, Esq.

Quote from: LH_DAD on February 26, 2012, 07:54:28 am
  Of the millions of kids that play High School football only about 2% get an opportunity to play at the D2 level or higher.  He is in a special category and I wish him much success.   

This.

I think it is something like an average 5% of the graduating seniors across the country get a scholarship for athletics. This includes both male and female athletes and EVERY sport. So you are looking at football, basketball, baseball, soccer, hockey, field hockey, lacrosse, swimming, diving, gymnastics, water polo, volleyball, softball, equestrian...you get where I'm going. ONLY 1% of that 5% get a scholarship to play D1 sports. I think it averages out to something like 2,000 total students (my math is horrible and I failed statistics so don't judge my figures). Young people (and often their parents) sometimes fail to realize how small the chances really are.

Good luck to this young man. When I made my original post I did not read every single post and didn't notice that was who we were discussing. I had the pleasure of seeing him play a few times over his high school career. Very good player and a D2 school is going to be lucky to have him.

G-Town38

First off, I would like to say thank you to everyone for your thoughts on this topic. Some were harsh and some were kind. But I appreciate everyone's honesty and opinions. Now I just want to share the good news. Darrick has just accepted an offer to play football for the William Jewell Cardinals. Congrats to Darrick and good luck in the future.

Wahls

Quote from: G-Town38 on February 28, 2012, 08:33:28 pm
First off, I would like to say thank you to everyone for your thoughts on this topic. Some were harsh and some were kind. But I appreciate everyone's honesty and opinions. Now I just want to share the good news. Darrick has just accepted an offer to play football for the William Jewell Cardinals. Congrats to Darrick and good luck in the future.

I have a feeling that you are very close to this kid, so let me just say this. If you and him both feel that he is D1 material, he should go to the NAIA school. He won't have to sit a year if he goes D1, and if he can only go D2, he ends up where he could have started. So you really lose nothing.

In any case, congratulations.

(BTW, Henderson got a guy by the name of Quinta Thomas in this years class. He was projected as a mid-major prospect and chose Henderson over a couple of out of state mid majors. I don't know about those other schools, but Henderson was completely loaded at tailback in this class. That might explain why they weren't interested.)

G-Town38

Quote from: Wahls on February 28, 2012, 09:23:13 pm

I have a feeling that you are very close to this kid, so let me just say this. If you and him both feel that he is D1 material, he should go to the NAIA school. He won't have to sit a year if he goes D1, and if he can only go D2, he ends up where he could have started. So you really lose nothing.

(BTW, Henderson got a guy by the name of Quinta Thomas in this years class. He was projected as a mid-major prospect and chose Henderson over a couple of out of state mid majors. I don't know about those other schools, but Henderson was completely loaded at tailback in this class. That might explain why they weren't interested.)

DI? Don't know if he could play there. Maybe. But at any rate, if you transfer up a classification, aren't you automatically eligible?
As far as Henderson? We got, what you would call, a bad vibe when we went there for a combine last summer anyway.

stAte fan in LR

Quote from: G-Town38 on February 29, 2012, 11:24:33 am
Quote from: Wahls on February 28, 2012, 09:23:13 pm

DI? Don't know if he could play there. Maybe. But at any rate, if you transfer up a classification, aren't you automatically eligible?
As far as Henderson? We got, what you would call, a bad vibe when we went there for a combine last summer anyway.
No, you have to sit a year if you transfer up but not down.  Otherwise the FBS schools would use the FCS and lower schools as farm systems.

Iknewthemwhen

G-Town38

Iknewthemwhen

I maybe missed your point.  You were trying to make the point of the quality of a player that you felt should have been offered by some in state schools?  My take is that the in state schools didn't feel this player met their needs or their expectations for a player at that level.  I guess my question is, do you feel the above named schools are of the same caliber as the in state schools you thought snubbed your guy?

G-Town38

Judging by the recruiting class of this year, I would have to say probably for William Jewell. I don't know about Avila. Not many NAIA football schools in Arkansas

Iknewthemwhen

G-Town38

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on March 07, 2012, 08:14:28 pm
Everyone is intitled to their opinion.

Not really an opinion. Just more of a time will tell statement. Now, before this turns into a school bashing thread, I was NOT making this out to be a major issue to bust on any schools in the state. I was merely pointing out, that I was disappointed in the fact that in state schools would let this kind of player slip through the cracks. It's more of a pride in our state and the teams from this state.
Now that it has been stated that he may not have fit their needs or system, I do have a better understanding of why.
At any rate, I am very happy for him to get the opportunity to play at the next level, and hope nothing but the best for him. And I would also like to say good luck to all the kids who are going on to the next level to play.

Iknewthemwhen

You are correct in congratulating him for going on to play at the next level since only about 2% of high school players get to go on to any level of college ball. 

txdad

I don't know this player nor do I follow high school football much in Arkansas but I can say that this kid just needs to work hard and good things will come to him.  My son was undersized all his life for the sport he chose to concentrate on (he played most growing up, but concentrated on 1).  He always had to work harder than others that were bigger, stronger, and quite honestly more talented. 

His perserverence paid off as his moved out of youth/summer sports into high school.  He started on Varsity as a sophomore (would have started as a Fresh but it was a new high school), played every inning of every game in high school.  He had mid-major DI offers out of high school but chose to go the Juco route at a top school in the nation.  Again, he was very blessed and played every inning of every game and won a National Championship.  He also signed a NLI to play at a Big 12 school after an "Arkansas" school couldn't use him (mid-major).  Well, once again, the undersized "may never play after high school" kid took the Big 12 by storm, played every inning of every game he was healthy (missed a few due to flu), batted leadoff, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and his senior year batted 4-hole.  He was respected by the conference schools and lived up to the respect.  In the end, playing his last 2.5 years of college baseball with an injured wing left him undrafted after his final game. 

Guess what?  He decided to hang it up and not pursue a free agent deal, finished his degree, got a great job, and is now happily married. 

I am hoping that this doesn't come off as a "bragging" session (although I am very proud of him), but that it comes off as encouragement for all of those athletes that have been told it can't/won't happen.

I respect those smaller, less talented athletes that work hard to make it moreso than those that are gifted and talented but don't strive to reach their potential.

G-town38- good luck to this young man and I will be following him during his career via the internet.  (I have a couple of very good friends that were athletes at William Jewel many years ago).

Lions84

Wahls

July 30, 2012, 12:40:46 am #43 Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:50:50 am by Wahls
Where is this kid going?

EDIT: Nevermind I forgot that got answered.

toobad4u993

I'm late on this, but he should consider moving to slot. Wes welker anyone? He can do it, smaller guys just have to work harder

horsepower1324

It's not just in football.

I was told numerous times that just because I didn't break 86 as a pitcher, that I couldn't play D1 or D2 (by a certain school) unless I learned to throw lefty.

Ended up going to an NAIA school and playing 3 years, but the school in question told me to try out to walk on. But they made everyone enroll that wanted to try out.

I tried out, got one inning to show what I could do. Threw 9 pitches, 7 strikes. 2 Ks and a weak dribbler back to me. They called me up to where they were, told me that I was of no use to them. Then told the guy who threw 88 but threw 18 straight balls that he could stay.

Funniest part, their stud, All Conf pitcher that year threw 82 as a righty.

It's all about measurables. I watched the young man play last year, and he is a fine football player. Going the D2 or NAIA route is no shame, look at the all time NCAA leader in yards (Danny Woodhead) who is still playing for New England.

G-Town38

Quote from: horsepower1324 on November 29, 2012, 07:49:53 pm
It's not just in football.

I was told numerous times that just because I didn't break 86 as a pitcher, that I couldn't play D1 or D2 (by a certain school) unless I learned to throw lefty.

Ended up going to an NAIA school and playing 3 years, but the school in question told me to try out to walk on. But they made everyone enroll that wanted to try out.

I tried out, got one inning to show what I could do. Threw 9 pitches, 7 strikes. 2 Ks and a weak dribbler back to me. They called me up to where they were, told me that I was of no use to them. Then told the guy who threw 88 but threw 18 straight balls that he could stay.

Funniest part, their stud, All Conf pitcher that year threw 82 as a righty.

It's all about measurables. I watched the young man play last year, and he is a fine football player. Going the D2 or NAIA route is no shame, look at the all time NCAA leader in yards (Danny Woodhead) who is still playing for New England.

That's funny. The guys on his team are calling him Woodhead. Interesting bit of information about William Jewell. Probably one of their most famous Alumni is a coach at the D1 level. Anyone who pays any attention to college football might know of him. Bill Schneider? Head coach of K-State. He likes the short backs. Coached the 5'5" Sproles and the back they have this year is 5'7".

Just_Win_Baby

Every DAd thinks their son is the best athelete on the field and then get's their feelings hurt when they find out from REAL Coach's that they arent. Sorry bout that G, but if he was as good as you claim then someone besides AVILA or Johnthebaptistnazerene up north would have got him. What about Blinn College in Texas? Thats where Cam Newton went. Dont mean to sound so harsh, but i thought my son should have got a baseball scholarship, but a few years after he graduated, it finally came to me that maybe he was a good high school player but just not college material. Since he did get signed, hope he has a great year and injury free.

G-Town38

Quote from: Just_Win_Baby on December 02, 2012, 11:04:52 am
Every DAd thinks their son is the best athelete on the field and then get's their feelings hurt when they find out from REAL Coach's that they arent. Sorry bout that G, but if he was as good as you claim then someone besides AVILA or Johnthebaptistnazerene up north would have got him. What about Blinn College in Texas? Thats where Cam Newton went. Dont mean to sound so harsh, but i thought my son should have got a baseball scholarship, but a few years after he graduated, it finally came to me that maybe he was a good high school player but just not college material. Since he did get signed, hope he has a great year and injury free.

WOW! What the heck was that all about? This coming from an Al Davis fan. Well you, my friend, are not going to goad me into a battle of wits. It would be an unfair fight as it is clear that you are completely unarmed.
Not once, did I say that the young man was the best player on the field. You must have me confused for someone else. I am 100% a realist. The whole point of this thread was to express MY disappointment. I could care less if he went to an Arkansas school, an Oklahoma school, a Texas school, or wherever. I will tell you that he is playing college ball. Something most kids will never get the opportunity to do.
Stick that in your pipe with that crack you already have in there, and smoke it.

Lions84

The Hogs and the rest of the state passed on Dixon from Strong and with the Gus Bus gone to Aurburn I wonder if we will ever have another Harold Horton who made UCA a power using 3and 2 A players from across the state.

As for the Gravvetts player size don't forget we got punked by a little man named Dexter McCluster from Ole Miss.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas