• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Officiating

Started by Hero of Twin Groves, December 31, 2016, 08:32:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hero of Twin Groves

Central Arkansas has some of the best officials in the state. I'm glad to be associated with these guys. From all I saw and heard they did a great job over the break and so far this year. Let's keep it rolling!

ballmember

what have u been smoking???? or is this an attempt to get them on your side

Hero of Twin Groves

Get them on my side?? I think these guys have a difficult job to do and do a dang good one. Have you ever officiated a game?

no mascot

Definitely an under appreciated profession! Central Arkansas has some of the best refs in the state IMO.

Eagle_Mom_2

I thought the refereeing last week in our tournament at West Side was awesome. Someone told me it was Steve Pritchett's crew the whole week. That's a good group I think. That one with the bald head is knee slapper too. Funny guy and really controls the game.

Hero of Twin Groves

eagle mom, you should feel honored that crew was there. My vote for best in the state.

SackAttack

Quote from: Eagle_Mom_2 on January 01, 2017, 09:57:12 am
I thought the refereeing last week in our tournament at West Side was awesome. Someone told me it was Steve Pritchett's crew the whole week. That's a good group I think. That one with the bald head is knee slapper too. Funny guy and really controls the game.
If that Pritchett guy is the one Im thinking about he doesnt ref a whole lot himself anymore hes kinda turned that over to his JV officials. Which bald headed guy crap theres about 14 of them??

Eagle_Mom_2

Quote from: SackAttack on January 01, 2017, 07:30:41 pm
If that Pritchett guy is the one Im thinking about he doesnt ref a whole lot himself anymore hes kinda turned that over to his JV officials. Which bald headed guy crap theres about 14 of them??

I'm not sure how much the head guy refs now. This bald guy you'd probably know if you've ever watched him. Real funny, talks to people a lot in the stands and on the benches, etc. Seems like a real good ref too. Made some great calls last week in tournament.

SackAttack

Quote from: Eagle_Mom_2 on January 01, 2017, 09:30:30 pm
I'm not sure how much the head guy refs now. This bald guy you'd probably know if you've ever watched him. Real funny, talks to people a lot in the stands and on the benches, etc. Seems like a real good ref too. Made some great calls last week in tournament.
Im sure Ive seen him but I just cant get it right in my head ya know!! But I do know this that crew of Pritchetts could be an all-star cast for the Hair Club for Men. But i guess their pretty good all things considered

Hero of Twin Groves

Todd Garrett. Great guy. Great official.

OwlFan4

The good officials are in Central Arkansas.  The really bad ones are sent south, I mean way south and ref class A & AA games.  Very inconsistent from game to game and one night to the next.  2 5-second closely guarded calls one night, the next night, same crew, don't even begin the count until fans start yelling for it.  And don't even get me started on 3 seconds in the lane, it's more like 10 seconds most nights before it gets called.  They allow clock to run during time-outs, even after looking up and seeing it take place.  Telling one coach he needed to learn "rule of verticality" to explain a foul instead of a jump ball when a steal took place.  Game has simply gotten too fast for many refs to keep up.  There are some very experienced, very good refs, who have gotten out of shape and can't keep up and are trying to make calls a half of a court away.  What 20 years ago was carrying the ball, is now an accepted practice, traveling is seldom called. 
The pro game has rapidly made its way to the high school level.

HorseFeathers

If they called carries, the same crowds that complain about calls, would be the crowds rioting, when the game is pretty much a pass and a whistle because a lot of kids can't dribble without carrying it...

Farm boy

I go to ball games that I read off this forum that I think would be good to watch just to see a ballgame. Retired don't have kids playing just enjoy basketball. Having said that watching the game I notice refs that try their best to get it right and then you can tell others have their own agenda or just watching time tick away till they can leave and collect their money. Does no one from triple A ever police any of the games to see what kind of job their officials are doing ?

Hero of Twin Groves

I think you are right about some officials farm man. We get paid good money to be unbiased a do the game justice. If you are in central Arkansas then you are getting the best officials in the state. Especially north central Arkansas. The crew chief is normally in charge of assigning officials and getting new ones. I know the chief comes to games to see how his crews do. My chief won't let his name get dragged through the mud for a bad official so that is somewhat how we are "policed"

mijally

If you watch a lot of pro, college, and high school games you will see there are always issues with officiating because it's impossible to be right all the time. That's why it's better for refs to be wise than right and the wise thing for an official to do is be even and consistent for both sides.  Let both sides love you or hate you.

Hero of Twin Groves

I agree. We try to facilitate the game instead of being a spectacle.

Farm boy

Well just sat through another poorly officiated game. I think it is time to cut off the head of the snake and start over. It's bad when you sit amongst fans of both teams and they agree on one thing. It's time for a change at AAA. All the integrity and trust in the organization is gone now. Simple fact; AAA only cares about the money.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Farm boy on January 10, 2017, 07:40:23 pm
Well just sat through another poorly officiated game. I think it is time to cut off the head of the snake and start over. It's bad when you sit amongst fans of both teams and they agree on one thing. It's time for a change at AAA. All the integrity and trust in the organization is gone now. Simple fact; AAA only cares about the money.

Y'all could always take the tests and go to the clinic's and help improve it

Farm boy

Have reffed before. Can't work with others who don't want to work just draw a check.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Farm boy on January 10, 2017, 08:47:45 pm
Have reffed before. Can't work with others who don't want to work just draw a check.

Recruit friends

Farm boy

Good suggestion any thing would beat what's out there now.

Farm boy

Watching one official now who is so overweight the other two refs running their butts off cause he's standing at half court. AWESOME JOB !!

TheOfficial

Horse feathers +1

Sounds like a farm boy that needs to get out there and put the stripes on and quit complaining.

BLUEBLOOD

Its much easier to point out problems than to be part of a solution.  I have seen poorly officiated games and games that were called well.  Too many times, fans decide how good the officiating was by the final score. 

According to a cracker jack research team:  50% of the teams who take the court lose and the other 50% win!!!

SackAttack

Quote from: TheOfficial on January 11, 2017, 12:47:38 am
Horse feathers +1

Sounds like a farm boy that needs to get out there and put the stripes on and quit complaining.
Or an Official thats out of touch with reality

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on January 11, 2017, 10:10:57 am
Its much easier to point out problems than to be part of a solution.  I have seen poorly officiated games and games that were called well.  Too many times, fans decide how good the officiating was by the final score. 

According to a cracker jack research team:  50% of the teams who take the court lose and the other 50% win!!!

Agreed.....Seen it plenty, team wins by 5 the fans are happy.... Same team loses with same refs, and it's all over social media about how they got screwed

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 11, 2017, 12:23:17 pm
Agreed.....Seen it plenty, team wins by 5 the fans are happy.... Same team loses with same refs, and it's all over social media about how they got screwed

Ain't social media just great to make a fan base sound like a bunch of crybabies!!  Unfortunately its not limited to sports whining though.

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: SackAttack on January 11, 2017, 10:11:26 am
Or an Official thats out of touch with reality

Agree to disagree here with you SackAttack.  I officiated for 20 years, had to retire this season.  I've had good nights and bad nights, just like coaches and players.  Having said that, it is easy to get behind a keyboard an say bad things about officials, but the majority of posters don't have the guts to go out and call a ball game.  There is a very real shortage of officials now days, so just to say The Official is out of touch with reality IMO isn't true.

87DAWG

Just roaming and like this conversation so I decided to bite.....We tell our kids when we go to a game, rather home or away.....just go beat the other team and do not get in a situation where the officiating makes a difference!!! That being said, the walk, in my opinion, is not called often enough.....I played a long time ago but it seemed the walk was called more in my days.....either way officiating is what it is......

ghostoffootballpast

Officiating. Problems have always existed due to people being human.  Their predetermined opinions and biases about the game or teams unfortunately sometimes show up.  I think most try to do well but that's not always the case and some simply don't work too hard at it. I know more than a few and so have heard some interesting stories about what goes on at times. 
Why is this happening.  Hard to get officials to get involved because they sometimes have to endure so much verbal and sometimes the threat of physical abuse.  Some lack enough experience and get in over their head at upper level games that move too fast for them. Some are in it for the bucks and don't study the game enough. How many jobs can you get on a mail in basis?  I hope they don't let doctors get a license by a mail in test, LOL!   
Anyway, the officiating in all sports could always improve, but I'd say a lot of the problem is the lack of training and the fans.

footballfan-tastic

I have one suggestion to officiating that would help make it better.
Officials should always keep in mind that they are there to help improve the experience for players, coaches and fans.  They are not there to control the game or determine who wins. 

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on January 12, 2017, 03:40:49 pm
Officials should always keep in mind that they are there to help improve the experience for players, coaches and fans.  They are not there to control the game or determine who wins. 

Determine who wins?  No  Control the game?  Yes to a degree.  That is what they are paid to do.  You don't want street ball rules.

TheOfficial

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on January 12, 2017, 03:40:49 pm

Officials know this.  FANS are the ones who have forgotten who the game is for!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ghostoffootballpast on January 12, 2017, 01:04:42 pm
Officiating. Problems have always existed due to people being human.  Their predetermined opinions and biases about the game or teams unfortunately sometimes show up.  I think most try to do well but that's not always the case and some simply don't work too hard at it. I know more than a few and so have heard some interesting stories about what goes on at times. 
Why is this happening.  Hard to get officials to get involved because they sometimes have to endure so much verbal and sometimes the threat of physical abuse.  Some lack enough experience and get in over their head at upper level games that move too fast for them. Some are in it for the bucks and don't study the game enough. How many jobs can you get on a mail in basis?  I hope they don't let doctors get a license by a mail in test, LOL!   
Anyway, the officiating in all sports could always improve, but I'd say a lot of the problem is the lack of training and the fans.

How many other jobs are basically volunteer basis and result in you getting verbally abused no matter what kind of job you do, because the fans are so ignorant of the actual rules that it's actually amusing?

BulldogDad82

It is very hard to be a ref! The way they are compensated these days though leaves no room for laziness.

hawg mafia

Sounds like a few of you need to study the rule book, grab a whistle and man up. Otherwise just shut your pie hole.

you sound like my ex wife

SportsDad

Quote from: OwlFan4 on January 02, 2017, 09:51:16 am
The good officials are in Central Arkansas.  The really bad ones are sent south, I mean way south and ref class A & AA games.  Very inconsistent from game to game and one night to the next.  2 5-second closely guarded calls one night, the next night, same crew, don't even begin the count until fans start yelling for it.  And don't even get me started on 3 seconds in the lane, it's more like 10 seconds most nights before it gets called.  They allow clock to run during time-outs, even after looking up and seeing it take place.  Telling one coach he needed to learn "rule of verticality" to explain a foul instead of a jump ball when a steal took place.  Game has simply gotten too fast for many refs to keep up.  There are some very experienced, very good refs, who have gotten out of shape and can't keep up and are trying to make calls a half of a court away.  What 20 years ago was carrying the ball, is now an accepted practice, traveling is seldom called. 
The pro game has rapidly made its way to the high school level.

---This is a dead--on post.... We moved from North Central Arkansas to South Arkansas a couple of years ago and I am shocked at the disparity of officiating. I truly believe that the officials down here understand and know what they are doing, but for some reason, they are just not consistent...EVER. I continue to tell the players (as a parent) do not let the game get close or you risk some bad calls costing you the game. I cannot tell you how many times I have left a game just shaking my head at some of the crazy calls by the officials that leave both teams upset. BUT... all my years of watching games up north and I never witnessed officials having to literally fight off the fans during and after the game like I have seen down south....

jeremiahjohnson

Been to a lot of ball games in North Central Arkansas this year and the officiating has been good. It is a little sad to see how some of the parents get after the refs - they are not pulling for your team so don't expect that.

The one exception to the above was last week. Watched a JV game and and Sr boys and girls. The calls were equal on both sides - but the number of calls in all 3 games was ridiculous, the players could not get into the flow of the game on either side. There were more travelling calls than all the other games I have attended this year (25+). Not sure what was up this night.

Bigleague

It's called bad basketball.    And it's going to get worse

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas