• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PRAYER BEFORE GAMES!

Started by PiratePride03, September 28, 2016, 02:43:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PiratePride03

Just curious if every school is having the problems we are at Dover.   We were just told that there will no longer be a prayer before the games.   So, we, as the adults of our town, were gonna surround the field and lift up both teams in prayer,  but the school board vetoed that as well!  You know,  when a member of our football family passes away,  everyone sends prayers from their town.  Prayers have been sent here to Dover,  to Russellville,  to Springdale,  and now to Hampton because of unexpected deaths and thankfully no one says anything negative.   But asking Jesus to keep his hands on all our boys is wrong?! I will never understand this!   We as a country are expected to accept Muslim prayer,  but it's wrong for Christians to pray?!  Before and after every game I played in,  in every sport, we as a team said The Lord's Prayer, as I'm sure all of you did as well.  This breaks my heart to feel this persecution from our federal government.  But they will NOT silence my town of DOVER ARKANSAS!  So when Booneville comes to town next Friday,  we as a town will be standing and saying OUR LORD'S PRAYER during the moment of silence before our national anthem is played.  We are not doing this out of spite,  we are doing this with love and respect for both teams. The Bible tells us,  where 2 or 3 are gathered in his name,  he will be there!  So we fully intend on having our Lord God at our football games whether the federal government likes it or not.  Are any of yall still having prayers before the games,  or have they ended that for yall too?

SUGARTOWN

No problems in Stuttgart, we have a student or cheerleader pray before each game.

PiratePride03

We always have too until last Friday, but they've ended it all of the sudden.   School board posted that there will be a moment of silence now instead.   Well we're using that moment to ask Jesus to watch over everyone.   One town,  with one prayer,  in one collective voice.  I think I'm gonna get copies of The Lord's Prayer to pass out to everyone,  just in case they don't know the words.

Sigmund Sauer

The letter I saw stated only that the PA would no longer be used for prayer. People can pray anywhere they want. Don't let the people who are against prayer cause this many problems. Just have the good people of Dover meet and pray somewhere at the stadium before the game. I'm sure the visiting teams fans would gladly join.

PiratePride03

That's a good idea.   I think I'll go to the visitor's stands,  and let them know of our plan.   Hopefully the people of Booneville feel as strongly about this as we do.

KREWSAWHEWSKI

Unfortunately, lawsuits and political correctness have handcuffed our school boards with so many restrictions these days.  It seems sometimes the only religion that's ok to discriminate against is Christianity.  But as Sigmund said, we can't let those few dampen our spirits.  If the school board feels that they are putting the school district in a bad position by praying over the PA, then do it amongst the people who want to pray.  I bet some of your board members would join in.

Good luck to Dover & Booneville.

KEEP THE FAITH!!!

Sigmund Sauer

September 28, 2016, 03:32:05 pm #6 Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 03:33:44 pm by Sigmund Sauer
Exactly, use the power of social media. Make prayer a bigger event than ever before at Dover. Let the person who reported prayer as a violation see the result of their petty selfish actions. You can't stop people from assembling, and I assure you Booneville will be all for it.

Maynard G Krebs

So much for the Bible Belt.......so many traditions are falling by the wayside

nmyeyes

Don't let them stop it. I do believe that one or two people probably put a stop to it, why 100 people cannot get it going is crazy. They have taken God out of our schools and also taken discipline out of our schools and all we do is let them. It's our on fault!!!! Christians should stand together and stand firm in what they believe. Just my thoughts 

PiratePride03

I agree with all of yall.   It's a shame how different the world is from 10 years ago.

$aintMaximu$

One thing we don't have to worry about but I do wonder how long it will be until we get a complaint from a visitor saying it is offensive....  Would not surprise me...

zebradynasty

I say your problem is far better than Daniel in the lions den.  ;) If they are at least giving you a moment of silence...you can pray your heart out for that 30 seconds. Unfortunately, fewer and fewer people believe in God or our Savior there will come a time when we just have to accept it and those that don't believe made a choice and leave them in God's hands.   

scrapman

We had similar things come up in Nashville last year. With all the attention Ashdown got we got the trickle down. They used the example are you going to let a Muslim prayer be said over the PA. Who decides and draws the line. 

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: scrapman on September 28, 2016, 04:48:23 pm
We had similar things come up in Nashville last year. With all the attention Ashdown got we got the trickle down. They used the example are you going to let a Muslim prayer be said over the PA. Who decides and draws the line.

If the Scrappers are playing in Iran, sure say the Muslim prayer... If playing in Nashville, AR... Proceed.... 

1-Adam-12

September 28, 2016, 05:41:41 pm #14 Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 05:45:45 pm by 1-Adam-12
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on September 28, 2016, 02:45:49 pm
No problems in Stuttgart, we have a student or cheerleader pray before each game.

No problems here either, usually a member of the FCA will offer a short prayer.

I can't wait to see this (and participate).  Awesome that the people of Dover are taking this on themselves.

Quote from: PiratePride03 on September 28, 2016, 03:24:49 pm
That's a good idea.   I think I'll go to the visitor's stands,  and let them know of our plan.   Hopefully the people of Booneville feel as strongly about this as we do.

+1 for you PiratePride.

george7244

PiratePride03

Thanks Adam 12, where are you from?

And I agree 100% George

george7244

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on September 28, 2016, 05:01:00 pm
If the Scrappers are playing in Iran, sure say the Muslim prayer... If playing in Nashville, AR... Proceed.... 
LOL

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: PiratePride03 on September 28, 2016, 03:59:23 pm
I agree with all of yall.   It's a shame how different the world is from 10 years ago.
we just started back I believe last year having prayer before the game after several years of not having it. Just get a movement going amongst the people who want to pray at a certain time in the stands before the game there will be several hundred people stand to pray, and their's nothing they can do about it.it's your right to pray it's not going over the PA system so the school board is off the hook

cuckoobird

+1 they can't stop you from praying together in the stands or around the field. Stand up for YOUR right of freedom of religion

Fanofsports

They can not stop you! Pray on!

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

I currently attend Pocahontas high school, and we're blessed to be able to pray (as a team) and individually before games. I'm in the band, and we all pray before a performance. Our director tells us that he wants it stidemt led so he can't really get in trouble, even though I know our school is good enough to let us pray whenever.

SportsDad

At Warren, it was not allowed by the administration for about the last decade or so .... when the new super came on board last fall, the decision was made, with the backing of the school board to start praying before games. It must be student led, but at least it is allowed once again. I just don't understand why we continue to let a small percentage of folks dictate what the rest of us (the majority) want.... I better stop before I get on my soapbox :)

PiratePride03

Oh we're gonna pray whether they like it or not.   Those of you that have been to Dover,  know there is a church right beside the field.  I've seen a couple of people talking about using their PA system for it.   Whether that happens,  or we stand United and say the Lord's Prayer together,  we WILL be praying.

george7244

Quote from: PiratePride03 on September 29, 2016, 04:55:18 am
Oh we're gonna pray whether they like it or not.   Those of you that have been to Dover,  know there is a church right beside the field.  I've seen a couple of people talking about using their PA system for it.   Whether that happens,  or we stand United and say the Lord's Prayer together,  we WILL be praying.
.            Kudos

Paperman

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: george7244 on September 28, 2016, 05:58:37 pm
This is Obamas America
started way before Obama. In McGehee we have a student led prayer.

nastynice

Squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Just like other movements and actions in the U. S. smaller groups work harder and are more ambitious than the majority. Christians and people of strong morals have become very lazy and apathetic. Even though we out number the loud ones, we fail to do anything about it. I'm just as guilty as anyone. Work all day and assume someone else will take care of it.

nastynice

Quote from: PiratePride03 on September 28, 2016, 06:11:51 pm
Thanks Adam 12, where are you from?

And I agree 100% George
He's from Booneville.

Lacerta agilis

A PA system isn't required for Him to hear our prayers.

PiratePride03

I agree Lacerta, but if we allow this to happen without a fight,  we would be no better than whoever complained about it. I appreciate all you guys showing us support.  It means a lot that we're not alone in this.

hogdiggity

We went through this last year.  As long as it is presented as a student lead moment of "expression" or welcome they can pray all they want over the loudspeaker or you are violating that students 1st amendment right.  The FCA will back you in court on this if you are a member school.  The keys are, it can't be led by an adult, a member of the staff/faculty.  It must be a student and it must be a student welcome message that isn't provided by any representative of the school.  Shoot me a PM if you want more info on what we went through and all the background work that was done and how it was addressed.

PiratePride03

That's the thing though,  it has been student led for the last year or two.  I can't tell you the last time an adult led us in prayer.  I just don't think the school board wants to fight for it.  But,  I will let people who could make a change know what you said.  We have no problem using the church's PA system to prove a point.   Everyone at the game will have no problem hearing it coming from the church,  it's right behind the northside end zone.  Either way,  we will do what we want.   There's already over 200 of us Pirates that have agreed to do this,  and the game is still over a week away.  By the time the Booneville game starts,  the whole town should have heard about it.

hogdiggity

PiratePride03

Will do,  I'll do it when I get off work

doveralum

I am deeply saddened by this! I graduated Dover many years ago, but it will always be home. I root for my Pirates every Friday night. I have a son who plays basketball for Clarksville, but I can still root for the Pirates. As far as the prayer, I heard it through the grapevine the church by the football field was going to use their pa system to pray before the game. I hope so. Pretty good move if you ask me....Doveralum

PiratePride03

Yes sir.   I believe that is now the plan.   Someone will lead The Lord's Prayer from the church while we all pray along with them.   There will be kids at every gate handing out copies of the prayer for those that don't know all the words.   We will not be silenced.

cuckoobird

It's good to hear the Christians in your community are exercising their rights and not backing down from a school board with no spine. +1 to the Dover community on their actions

Oldbadger

I am a strong proponent of prayer in schools, rodeos, county fairs and everywhere.  This country was built on Christian beliefs and values. The problem arises when other faiths; Muslim, Hindu, Wiccans and Athiest want equal time.  Constitutionally they may have a leg to stand on.  However, in Arkansas, we most likely will never be challenged by the Muslims or Hindus. Athiest, though, would be most likely to challenge any prayer in school.  But, personally, I would continue to have prayer until forced not to by a lawsuit.  Even then, there are ways, such as what Dover is planning, to circumvent any challenge. It seems that many school boards are being proactive in trying to prevent a costly suit, so they can't be completely to blame.  Many schools have completely done away with prayer or a moment silence. Continue to pray, just don't use the school PA system. lol

ISU7

Quote from: PiratePride03 on September 28, 2016, 02:43:58 pm
Just curious if every school is having the problems we are at Dover.   We were just told that there will no longer be a prayer before the games.   So, we, as the adults of our town, were gonna surround the field and lift up both teams in prayer,  but the school board vetoed that as well!  You know,  when a member of our football family passes away,  everyone sends prayers from their town.  Prayers have been sent here to Dover,  to Russellville,  to Springdale,  and now to Hampton because of unexpected deaths and thankfully no one says anything negative.   But asking Jesus to keep his hands on all our boys is wrong?! I will never understand this!   We as a country are expected to accept Muslim prayer,  but it's wrong for Christians to pray?!  Before and after every game I played in,  in every sport, we as a team said The Lord's Prayer, as I'm sure all of you did as well.  This breaks my heart to feel this persecution from our federal government.  But they will NOT silence my town of DOVER ARKANSAS!  So when Booneville comes to town next Friday,  we as a town will be standing and saying OUR LORD'S PRAYER during the moment of silence before our national anthem is played.  We are not doing this out of spite,  we are doing this with love and respect for both teams. The Bible tells us,  where 2 or 3 are gathered in his name,  he will be there!  So we fully intend on having our Lord God at our football games whether the federal government likes it or not.  Are any of yall still having prayers before the games,  or have they ended that for yall too?
And they wonder why Kapaernick isn't standing for our so called national anthem. God Bless you.

PiratePride03

Redskin2015

Prayers will be sent from pokey

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 29, 2016, 06:58:17 pm
It's good to hear the Christians in your community are exercising their rights and not backing down from a school board with no spine. +1 to the Dover community on their actions

Agreed +1 to Dover!!!

Danold Dump

That is the way our Nation is headed until we get a leader in the white house.  It is very sad. 

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Danold Dump on September 30, 2016, 12:48:28 pm
That is the way our Nation is headed until we get a leader in the white house.  It is very sad.

Danold Dump, if elected what will you do different?   Here is a chance for you to get the Fearless Friday vote...

Gray lizard

Saw the story on Channel 4 news this morning.
Definition of rights now days.  The few fruits and nuts get them all.

bleudog

September 30, 2016, 02:19:03 pm #46 Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:57:27 pm by bleudog
Quote from: george7244 on September 28, 2016, 05:58:37 pm
This is Obamas America

Would that make us an Obamanation?

cuckoobird

PiratePride03

ABSOLUTELY!  That's exactly what the last 8 years have been!

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: PiratePride03 on September 30, 2016, 03:10:30 pm
ABSOLUTELY!  That's exactly what the last 8 years have been!
you said that right

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas