• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A Fan Poll - Pre-Week 4 Top Ten (VOTE HERE FOR WEEK 5)

Started by AT, September 21, 2016, 08:15:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: PercussionMan on September 26, 2016, 11:30:12 am
I don't know that I would put Harrison as a top 10....are they still without their starting QB??  Either way, Morrilton had them down 14-0 or 21-0 (can't remember) whenever he went out.  So, they weren't very impressive even before that. 

They played a pretty tough non-conference schedule, and I think the win against LRCA will look good by the end of the season. There will be plenty of juggling teams around as the season progresses.

MikeDiesel™

1. Wynne
2. PA
3. Morrilton
4. Alma
5. Sylvan Hills
6. Blytheville
7. Greenbrier
8. Batesville
9. White Hall
10. Valley View

PercussionMan

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 26, 2016, 12:53:45 pm
They played a pretty tough non-conference schedule, and I think the win against LRCA will look good by the end of the season. There will be plenty of juggling teams around as the season progresses.

Gotcha....I'm interested to see how things will look in the polls in a few weeks....I just don't want it to go by so quickly, like football season typically does!!

AIREDALE25

Quote from: SHHSFAN on September 24, 2016, 10:59:56 am
1. Sylvan Hills
2. Wynne
3. Morrilton
4. PA
5. Watson Chapel
6. Lakeside
7. McClellan
8. Batesville
9. Alma
10. White Hall
Alma at 9?! are you kidding me really

Youngsta71701

Quote from: AIREDALE25 on September 26, 2016, 01:19:14 pm
Alma at 9?! are you kidding me really
Their record is 2-2. It's not like they've been world beaters.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 26, 2016, 01:42:24 pm
Their record is 2-2. It's not like they've been world beaters.

True but PA at 4 and Alma at 9 is hilarious. Tops it off with Sylvan Hilld at 1! Classic!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 26, 2016, 02:57:46 pm
True but PA at 4 and Alma at 9 is hilarious. Tops it off with Sylvan Hilld at 1! Classic!
Now the PA at 4 thing. That's just ludicrous. In my Mike Tyson voice. ???

TheSpecial

1. PA
2. Wynne
3. Morrilton
4. Sylvan Hills
5. Alma
6. White Hall
7. Greenbrier
8. Batesville
9. McClellan
10. Nettleton (because why not.)

AT

I'll ask a question that may make me look like a homer:

Many are saying "Morrilton is in the first tier" and then Alma is on a level underneath that.

What's the evidence here?

Would you actually be that surprised if Alma beats Morrilton week 6? Because if you say that Morrilton is in another tier, then you are saying that you think Alma has very little chance of winning that game on the road.

I'm just curious as to where this other tier is coming from.

Is it from that fact that Alma struggled in a 25 points win over Vilonia? I know not all of you like computer rankings, but Rich's Power System and calpreps liked Vilonia enough to say that was Alma's best performance of the year.

Just a discussion topic.

AT

Also, a reminder to get your polls in by tomorrow night.

MDXPHD

I think I would be surprised if Alma beat Morrilton. Morrilton has just been more impressive than Alma. I know that's not the best answer. Luckily they play soon and we can get all this sorted out. I believe there is a top tier this season with everyone else not close. I think Morrilton has some great athletes and their offense is explosive. Hard to match up well with them. Of course, these are all influenced somehow. I do believe you are somewhat of a homer though. Alma hasn't done anything this season yet and they have two losses. A win over Morrilton puts them up there.

Youngsta71701

September 27, 2016, 01:30:08 pm #61 Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:52:41 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: TheSpecial on September 26, 2016, 04:35:54 pm
1. PA
2. Wynne
3. Morrilton
4. Sylvan Hills
5. Alma
6. White Hall
7. Greenbrier
8. Batesville
9. McClellan
10. Nettleton (because why not.)
If you have to comment on something you know it's questionable. lol

AT

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 27, 2016, 01:08:50 pm
I think I would be surprised if Alma beat Morrilton. Morrilton has just been more impressive than Alma. I know that's not the best answer. Luckily they play soon and we can get all this sorted out. I believe there is a top tier this season with everyone else not close. I think Morrilton has some great athletes and their offense is explosive. Hard to match up well with them. Of course, these are all influenced somehow. I do believe you are somewhat of a homer though. Alma hasn't done anything this season yet and they have two losses. A win over Morrilton puts them up there.

I don't see myself as being a homer in this situation. I'm honestly not seeing how they are another tier ahead.

I see your reason being Alma's record. Didn't you just have a discussion where non conference records hardly matter and that's why Sylvan Hills can't be number 1? (I agree with that consensus by the way), but then turned around and just said that Alma's 2-2 record is not as impressive.

Morrilton's opponents ranked by toughness...probably:
1. Russellville
2. Searcy
3. Harrison
4. Little Rock Fair

Alma's opponents ranked by toughness:
1. Greenwood
2. Springdale
3. Van Buren
4. Vilonia

Just compare the two. I don't think many people would argue Alma's schedule has been tougher.

I do think Morrilton has been more impressive (thus why I ranked them higher), but on another tier? Where does that come from?

Switch Alma and Morrilton's schedule as of now, and I don't see different results. Albeit, I haven't seen Searcy play.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Almatrackster on September 27, 2016, 08:13:10 pm
I don't see myself as being a homer in this situation. I'm honestly not seeing how they are another tier ahead.

I see your reason being Alma's record. Didn't you just have a discussion where non conference records hardly matter and that's why Sylvan Hills can't be number 1? (I agree with that consensus by the way), but then turned around and just said that Alma's 2-2 record is not as impressive.

Morrilton's opponents ranked by toughness...probably:
1. Russellville
2. Searcy
3. Harrison
4. Little Rock Fair

Alma's opponents ranked by toughness:
1. Greenwood
2. Springdale
3. Van Buren
4. Vilonia

Just compare the two. I don't think many people would argue Alma's schedule has been tougher.

I do think Morrilton has been more impressive (thus why I ranked them higher), but on another tier? Where does that come from?

Switch Alma and Morrilton's schedule as of now, and I don't see different results. Albeit, I haven't seen Searcy play.

I guess the closer I look, the more it seems like they aren't on separate tiers. Springdale is a quality loss by a point. I don't think Springdale has lost to anyone other than Russelville by a td. Searcy wouldn't beat Alma, so no worries there. Are you sure Morrilton would lose to Springdale or is it just a tossup like y'all's game with them? I guess people start buying into the hype of large margins of victory and go with it.

I do think one think that propelled Morrilton is how they handled Searcy after Searcy beat Batesville. Voters don't know what happened in either game and just noticed the scores.

AT

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 27, 2016, 08:22:54 pm
I guess the closer I look, the more it seems like they aren't on separate tiers. Springdale is a quality loss by a point. I don't think Springdale has lost to anyone other than Russelville by a td. Searcy wouldn't beat Alma, so no worries there. Are you sure Morrilton would lose to Springdale or is it just a tossup like y'all's game with them? I guess people start buying into the hype of large margins of victory and go with it.

I do think one think that propelled Morrilton is how they handled Searcy after Searcy beat Batesville. Voters don't know what happened in either game and just noticed the scores.

True, MDX

I think Morrilton's handling of Searcy was very impressive.

I also think how they beat Harrison was impressive, especially after Harrison beat LRC.

I think Alma is hanging their hats on quality losses so far and that's why I can see your reasoning a little bit, I just don't think "another tier". I just think Morrilton is better so far.

But like you said, we are very close to an exciting matchup!

Am I wrong in thinking you made this game a few years ago, MDX? Alma morrilton that is? Going to make it again if so?

the voice

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 27, 2016, 08:22:54 pm

While I'm not going to predict a beat by Morrilton against anyone, I will say it was a beat down they put on searcy , and it was three qtrs. And don't sell searcy short , they are an explosive team with a very good QB and some talent and speed. I said after Morrilton lost a nail biter to Russellville that they would make noise and they've not disappointed. We have a rivalry game this week with greenbrier, these two teams and communities don't like each other at all. Not as bad as Vilonia and greenbrier but pretty close. Throw the records in the trash it will be a brawl.

PA Dad

September 27, 2016, 09:54:32 pm #66 Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:03:47 pm by PA Dad
I don't see the conference in tiers, but I do see slight gradations between the teams.  In my view, Wynne, PA and Morrilton are very close and Alma and Sylvan Hills are just a shade behind them.

I think Alma is in the top 5 or 6 because of the historical strength of the program, the level of competition the last couple of years, and quality losses this year.  I do not think they have a quality win this year.  They will solidify their position with a quality win.  I think the same of Batesville.

AT

Good points.

Remember to get your polls in by tonight. Somewhere between 7 and 8 PM, I will close the polls and post the new top ten.

GuvHog

Quote from: PA Dad on September 27, 2016, 09:54:32 pm
I don't see the conference in tiers, but I do see slight gradations between the teams.  In my view, Wynne, PA and Morrilton are very close and Alma and Sylvan Hills are just a shade behind them.

I think Alma is in the top 5 or 6 because of the historical strength of the program, the level of competition the last couple of years, and quality losses this year.  I do not think they have a quality win this year.  They will solidify their position with a quality win.  I think the same of Batesville.

Batesville has had some losses this year that one could give them a pass on but if they somehow unfathomably lose this Friday it will be a signal that there are problems in Pioneer land. I don't see that happening though.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Almatrackster on September 27, 2016, 08:27:10 pm
True, MDX

I think Morrilton's handling of Searcy was very impressive.

I also think how they beat Harrison was impressive, especially after Harrison beat LRC.

I think Alma is hanging their hats on quality losses so far and that's why I can see your reasoning a little bit, I just don't think "another tier". I just think Morrilton is better so far.

But like you said, we are very close to an exciting matchup!

Am I wrong in thinking you made this game a few years ago, MDX? Alma morrilton that is? Going to make it again if so?

I don't think I made that game. I could be mistaken because I used to travel and watch different teams on different nights. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it Week 6 although I would like to see the matchup.

proud_dad

1. Wynne
2. PA
3. Sylvan Hills
4. Morrilton
5. White Hall
6. Alma
7. Blytheville
8. Batesville
9. McClellan
10. Greenbrier

AT