• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Outlook

Started by DerekOxford, December 01, 2015, 01:14:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

VHSCoach2

Quote from: ricepig on September 18, 2016, 12:07:24 pm
Yeah, because TX ST is in the same class of team as TCU and aTM??? And yes, it'll be a long night in Arlington, lots of commercials, haha.

It was more of a joke about collapsing against Texas teams in the fourth quarter.   ;D  We had that game well in hand by the end of the first quarter.

And yes, I remember the days when football games went right at three hours.  Now it's closer to four with all the commercials and (I think) a slightly longer halftime.

Valleysports

September 19, 2016, 12:29:04 pm #351 Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 02:48:03 pm by Valleysports
Yeah Buckaroo - the only miss I've come close too, is that I thought Arkansas would beat TCU by 2 TD's.  Anything can happen, but I don't think the A&M game will be about QB's.  It'll be about Garret, Hall, Mack butt stomping Arkansas non challenged O line.  Then A&M's receivers burning Arkansas not so good secondary. 

As for the 4-0 season, I think your optimism is revealing.  LOL. For those who know football, I'm basing that on A&M, Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn defenses.  Low scoring games for Arkansas, while Ole Miss & Auburn still have time to get their offenses rolling.  Keep it real...  ;)

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Valleysports on September 19, 2016, 12:29:04 pm
Yeah Buckaroo - the only miss I've come close too, is that I thought Arkansas would beat TCU by 2 TD's.  Anything can happen, but I don't think the A&M game will be about QB's.  It'll be about Garret, Hall, Mack butt stomping Arkansas non challenged O line.  Then A&M's receivers burning Arkansas not so good secondary. 

As for the 4-0 season, I think your optimism is revealing.  LOL. For those who know football, I'm basing that on A&M, Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn defenses.  Low scoring for Arkansas games for Arkansas and Ole Miss & Auburn have time to get their offenses rolling.  Keep it real...  ;)

Ole pee will not beat us in Arkansas. I give you the Bama game, yes. The "not so challenged" line can be the same thing towards Texas A&M.... What are you going to do about Wise?? Our secondary has gotten better. We will see 8PM this Saturday..

AirWarren

8-4 is what I was thinking too.

Valleysports

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on September 19, 2016, 12:47:54 pm
Ole pee will not beat us in Arkansas. I give you the Bama game, yes. The "not so challenged" line can be the same thing towards Texas A&M.... What are you going to do about Wise?? Our secondary has gotten better. We will see 8PM this Saturday..

Work with me here  ;)  When I said "not so challenged" I meant they haven't been challenged this year.  La Tech, TCU, some DII Tex team.  Arkansas OL hasn't faced a test yet, but have shown enough to see there's a world of hurt sitting on the door step.  A&M's OL however, has handled UCLA (1/2 a game) & Auburn?  Flip that light switch Buck. Yes the Hog Secondary has gotten much better - do you understand A&M's receivers are the best in the nation?  What am I going to do with Wise?  I'm going to watch the game on TV, lol.  What are you going to do when your world unravels in the 2nd half of this game?  That's when Wise (DL), Secondary, Linebackers, are gonna be ready for a tag.  I'm sorry that's just reality..... but I do appreciate your team dedication.  Do you have any football perspective about the game?  Maybe Arkansas Running Game?  Passing Game?  How's Arkansas gonna beat A&M?       

bdubyab60

Hopefully by not giving it away in the 4th quarter this time lol. Not like A&M has beaten world beaters.

I think Hogs gotta run the crap outta the ball. Allen of course has to be solid. Think we need a couple turnovers and capitalize on them as well.

It's a winnable game.

Valleysports

Found a TV with the SEC channel.  Ole Miss / Bama is on today.  I want to see that A&M / Auburn game.  Wondering if A&M has shored that defense up the middle.  While they've improved drastically, however that middle was still soft in 2nd half of the UCLA game.  This will certainly be the first decent defense Arkansas has faced since Spring Practice, but I think you're right bduby, maybe Arkansas can run it off the tackles... Arkansas has the better Coaches, especially OC.

UCLA & Auburn are World Beaters compared to TCU.   

Coach Venny Slocombe

For Arkansas to beat A&M a few things have to happen...

O-Line has to be solid in the run game. We have to have positive yards, not negative...stay ahead of the chains and that will allow us to run some play action. While AA has played very good I don't want to have to rely on him to win it. He needs help from the running game. I think our receivers match up well with A&M's secondary, but AA has to have time.

Defensively this could be a nightmare for us. Our front seven can give A&M nightmares as well, but our secondary cannot give up the big play. We also have to contain A&M's QB and not let him break out...

All that being said I think CBB finds a way and the Hogs win a close one...

WPWells

VHSCoach2

The offensive line must improve.  Austin Allen is a gunslinger and tough as nails, but his season will be over if he gets beaten down like he was tonight.  If the o-line can improve, and we can figure out how to get the ball in the end zone from inside the five, I honestly believe we can beat Florida and LSU at home.

We should also beat Mississippi State and Missouri on the road.  I'm worried about the Auburn game on the road, and we all know what Alabama has in store for everyone, plus Ole Miss.

Honestly, 9-3 isn't out of the question. 10-2 if I really want to push it and say we beat Ole Miss, but I'm not comfortable saying that....yet.

ricepig

I said 8-4 before the season started, I'm still there now. We've got to be able to get 1 yard when we need it, simple as that. The pass protection, was faulty, but Austin was only sacked one on the strip.

AirWarren

Offensive line is hot garbage.

Lumberjackfan1978

Offensive line must improve simple as that.Austin is a tough guy but he was beaten to much against A&M

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2016, 08:22:08 am
I said 8-4 before the season started, I'm still there now. We've got to be able to get 1 yard when we need it, simple as that. The pass protection, was faulty, but Austin was only sacked one on the strip.
I think 8-4 is possible,pass protection must improve though

bleudog

VHSCoach2

Hogs dropped to 20th in the AP poll, 22nd in the Coaches' poll.

Valleysports

September 26, 2016, 09:35:15 am #366 Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:38:57 am by Valleysports
Quote from: Valleysports on September 19, 2016, 10:31:44 am
Last year I pulled for Arkansas over A&M.  However this year, being an SEC Fan and knowing truth, well we need to get the best teams to the top.  It's clear what I think - A&M might have a bust out game on Arkansas.  I need to see the Auburn/A&M game.  I still predict an 0-4 SEC start for Hogs. Proud of the win over an average TCU, but it's fixing to get real up in here.

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on September 19, 2016, 11:20:00 am
Lol. "0-4 SEC" start. That's cute. I watched the auburn/A&M game myself. If Franklin was the QB the whole game. Different game there, my friend.

Quote from: Fred Bird on September 19, 2016, 11:32:42 am
I see your 0-4 SEC start and will raise you a 4-0 SEC start

That game is done!  Seriously I'm not pulling against the Hogs, it's just these first 4 SEC Team's defenses.  And Ole Miss & Auburn having time to get their offense rolling.

cuckoobird

Rose colored glasses. Have a friend from Tennessee at work who today said, "99% of hog fans can't have a realistic conversation about football," and I couldn't have agreed with him more.

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 26, 2016, 05:43:45 pm
Rose colored glasses. Have a friend from Tennessee at work who today said, "99% of hog fans can't have a realistic conversation about football," and I couldn't have agreed with him more.

Lol, fans of every team can't have a realistic conversations, you seem to have trouble understanding that fan, is short for fanatic.

AirWarren

Coming from a tenner fan....a team that has been garbage for some time now, I'll take that as a compliment haha. And I'm not even a hog homer!

HorseFeathers

You are right...They either preach gloom and doom, burn the stadium to the ground and drop football(call themselves "realists"), or they pump rainbows and unicorns up everyones hindquarters(Generally hated by the "realists" crowd, because they actually have positive thoughts)

Valleysports

Quote from: ricepig on September 26, 2016, 06:35:19 pm
Lol, fans of every team can't have a realistic conversations, you seem to have trouble understanding that fan, is short for fanatic.

Well there you go - as has always, you can check with me for a realistic rundown.  However don't expect an unbiased conference conversation. 

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on September 26, 2016, 09:51:06 pm
Well there you go - as has always, you can check with me for a realistic rundown.  However don't expect an unbiased conference conversation.

I'll be sure and ask you, if I want one.....

Coach Venny Slocombe

AA has played well...but a couple more games like that and he will be on the sidelines on crutches...

cuckoobird

I wish we would have had him a couple years ago. Possibly could have won some of those games where ba choked. I know I know after 5 years there and in his last 5 games ba did much better but aa seems to have what it would have taken to put games like toledo away

Valleysports

Hog Fan's look backwards a lot. Always in the could've / should've mode.  Can't y'all get off BA's back for goodness sake.  Every Hog QB, Coach, Player, is only one timely mistake away from being burned at the stake.

DerekOxford

Still on pace for the 8-4 I said. I had it 3-1 through September and that's what it ended up.

Had a TCU loss and A&M win so that's a wash. Gonna be tough to beat Ole Miss coming off a bye the week after Alabama, however.

Auburn game also seems worrisome now, knowing how good their defense is. They can't really score but they can stop people.

Florida will be tough, but seems more winnable now after how they performed against Tennessee. Who knows what direction LSU will go under Orgeron.

Mississippi State seems very winnable, but watch out for Mizzou in that finale. Drew Lock can sling the rock around and their defense is young but physical. Hogs should take care of business but it won't be easy like last year was.

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on September 27, 2016, 08:41:56 am
Hog Fan's look backwards a lot. Always in the could've / should've mode.  Can't y'all get off BA's back for goodness sake.  Every Hog QB, Coach, Player, is only one timely mistake away from being burned at the stake.

I didn't see any "Hog" fans on BA's back. However, it's no different on Razorback message boards than any other team's, somebody is thrown under the bus every week, lol.

Valleysports

I've seen it tossed around, especially on that other forum. It was mentioned in the post just before mine, not in a bad way, just looking backward as I said.

I agree with what you're saying about all Fans having the same Fanatic viewpoint.  You pointing that out is starting to make me think that, not having a team, isn't so bad.  And of course it helps to have an accurate poster in the conversation.   ;) 

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on September 27, 2016, 12:58:00 pm
I've seen it tossed around, especially on that other forum. It was mentioned in the post just before mine, not in a bad way, just looking backward as I said.

I agree with what you're saying about all Fans having the same Fanatic viewpoint.  You pointing that out is starting to make me think that, not having a team, isn't so bad.  And of course it helps to have an accurate poster in the conversation.   ;)

Thanks for pointing out about my accurate posts, but I don't need any adulation, I'm just a regular guy. As far as HV, you are going to get 2500 different view points, most ignorant of basic football.

cuckoobird

Sounds like the typical hog fanatic

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 27, 2016, 06:59:23 pm
Sounds like the typical hog fanatic

Sounds like your typical troll.

cuckoobird

I doubt they are trolls

Trojanbird

beach bum

He is just a troll to you because you can't handle harsh realities.... You say troll. I say truth speaker.

cuckoobird

It is amazing when opinions differ that someone will cry troll

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on September 27, 2016, 09:42:04 pm
He is just a troll to you because you can't handle harsh realities.... You say troll. I say truth speaker.

harsh reality? it's a game...What's Harsh about that for the fans?

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on September 27, 2016, 09:42:04 pm

Lol, and what reality has he ever spoken of? And what makes you think he speaking the truth, because it's something you agree with?

cuckoobird

September 27, 2016, 11:03:09 pm #388 Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:04:46 pm by cuckoobird
Wow, I can't even give AA a compliment without being called a troll. What makes you think I'm not speaking the truth, because you disagree?

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 27, 2016, 11:03:09 pm
Wow, I can't even give AA a compliment without being called a troll. What makes you think I'm not speaking the truth, because you disagree?

If disparaging his brother is your way of giving a compliment, so be it. Would you like to repost all those "compliments" you gave BA? And this pity look you're going for doesn't suit you very well, haha.

I'm sure you'll respond with your, "I'm a realist" defense, which never accentuates the positives.

cuckoobird

No sir, I even said BA did a good job after being there five years and playing in his last five games.it was fact that he bounced one off the goalpost against Toledo throwing to wide-open Hunter Henry. You can't disagree with that

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 28, 2016, 10:04:59 am
No sir, I even said BA did a good job after being there five years and playing in his last five games.it was fact that he bounced one off the goalpost against Toledo throwing to wide-open Hunter Henry. You can't disagree with that

It took 4 years and 6 games for you ever to admit he needed to be playing QB. I didn't see you calling for Hunter Henry to be benched for his holding call that eliminated a TD, or Mitchell, I think it was him, for holding on Cornelius TD punt return that was called back, or the deep snapper for over shooting the punter, setting up their first TD. You can't throw out a "well he finally did something good in 5 years" and expect that to be construed as a compliment after multiple "choke" posts.

cuckoobird

September 28, 2016, 10:22:42 am #392 Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 10:26:05 am by cuckoobird
The chokes, as you put it,  were facts not opinions. That's what is wrong with the world today, people only want to give praise but not criticism to players or young kids. Here's your participation trophy 💩

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 28, 2016, 10:22:42 am
The chokes were facts not opinions. That's what is wrong with the world today, people only want to give praise but not criticism to players or young kids. Here's your participation trophy 💩

Here's what your post is worth.  💩 No, what's wrong is someone sitting on their couch calling out high school or college players, pathetic.

cuckoobird

Oh, I never call out high school players. They aren't recruited like college players and given free scholarships.

Valleysports

Hey cuckoo, rice does bring up a point - I think the play right before that pass hit the goal post, Hunter dropped a perfect TD pass right in his hands.  So many times BA wouldn't have made a memorable mistake, if the receiver would've caught a non memorable perfectly thrown pass the play before.  Happened a bunch.  Anyhow I didn't mean to stir the pot.   ;)     

bdubyab60

Henry had like one drop all year and I don't think it was that game but could have been. I was as critical of BA as anyone. Never guestioned his toughness but his ability to close out games. Crap the entire team to close out games.

But from the middle of the season to the end there wasn't a throw or a play BA didn't make.

cuckoobird

It wasn't that game. BA threw it over his head again on the next to last play of the game.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on September 28, 2016, 10:28:40 am

Here's what your post is worth.  💩 No, what's wrong is someone sitting on their couch calling out high school or college players, pathetic.
Just one thing about this...I totally think it is wrong to call out high school players. But college players are a different story altogether. And most on here, including you I would bet Rice have said things about college players before, maybe not hog players but at sometime a college player or players. I mean what is next, don't say anything bad about Pro players? Let's be real, BA played well his last season. I can't question that at all. But his play before that was certainly questionable at best. Should he have been the starter...yeah considering what we had. Anyway, like everyone else on here this is just my opinion and it is worth nothing...just like everyone else's on here...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on September 28, 2016, 06:03:20 pm
Just one thing about this...I totally think it is wrong to call out high school players. But college players are a different story altogether. And most on here, including you I would bet Rice have said things about college players before, maybe not hog players but at sometime a college player or players. I mean what is next, don't say anything bad about Pro players? Let's be real, BA played well his last season. I can't question that at all. But his play before that was certainly questionable at best. Should he have been the starter...yeah considering what we had. Anyway, like everyone else on here this is just my opinion and it is worth nothing...just like everyone else's on here...

Oh, I understand it's all opinions, even those, some claim as facts, lol. I would say there is a difference between telling your wife, "XYZ" blew that play, and typing it on a message board, Twitter, or any other social media site, especially when most message board sites have rules against bashing players. I don't have any problem criticizing coach's decisions, or at least debating them, but calling out players, I just don't see it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas