• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 5A West Conference Tournament info

Started by sevenof400, March 03, 2017, 01:10:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HP14

Quote from: HP14 on May 04, 2017, 08:49:01 pm
I may be mistaken but I think Harrison won 1-0 vs Greenbrier

Boys game... Sorry

sevenof400

Sir Alex

Quote from: HP14 on May 04, 2017, 08:49:01 pm
I may be mistaken but I think Harrison won 1-0 vs Greenbrier

They did. Great games today. Wind was terrible.

1:00 Vilonia vs Greenbrier VG
3:00 Clarksville vs Greenbrier VB
5:00 Maumelle vs Harrison VG
7:00 Maumelle vs Harrison VB

Sir Alex

Vilonia 0 Greenbrier 4 VG

Greenbrier #3 Vilonia #4 From the west

Chief_Osceola™

MB Hog

Any score for the Maumelle / Harrison girls game?

Mijally2

Quote from: MB Hog on May 05, 2017, 08:01:05 pm
Any score for the Maumelle / Harrison girls game?
Harrison 1
Maumelle 0
Final

Mijally2

Harrison 1(5)
Maumelle 1(4)
Final

Maumelle traveled to Harrison Monday, Thursday, and Friday for 3 games. 750 miles, 14 1/2 bus hours in 5 days to play the host in the Finals of a District tournament. Now that's a fair even tournament there. Just like the NBA. Those back to backs with 500 miles busting through the mountains are a bite. Oh wait. They don't do that either.

VHSCoach2

In Harrison's defense, each of the 6 5A West schools were given the same opportunity to host the Conference Tournament.  They all said no, except for Harrison.

Next year, it is likely that a team from the "East" side, i.e., Greenbrier, Vilonia, or Morrilton, will host it.

VHSCoach2

Final seeding for the State Tournament:

Girls:
1) Harrison
2) Maumelle
3) Greenbrier
4) Vilonia

Boys:
1) Harrison
2) Maumelle
3) Clarksville
4) Greenbrier

Mijally2

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 05, 2017, 09:14:58 pm
In Harrison's defense, each of the 6 5A West schools were given the same opportunity to host the Conference Tournament.  They all said no, except for Harrison.

Next year, it is likely that a team from the "East" side, i.e., Greenbrier, Vilonia, or Morrilton, will host it.
It's not about Harrison. If I had a choice I would rather travel to Clarksville Harrison Vilonia Morrilton and Greenbrier to play meaningless games then play LRCA PA etc in the District tournament then vice versa. The brainchild of this is a moron. Maumelle doesn't belong in the West ever. We are in the PCSSD. We should stay local. The conferences don't have to be even. That's bs.

Mijally2

I'm angry I couldn't get to the games.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Mijally2 on May 05, 2017, 09:30:21 pm
It's not about Harrison. If I had a choice I would rather travel to Clarksville Harrison Vilonia Morrilton and Greenbrier to play meaningless games then play LRCA PA etc in the District tournament then vice versa. The brainchild of this is a moron. Maumelle doesn't belong in the West ever. We are in the PCSSD. We should stay local. The conferences don't have to be even. That's bs.

I believe that statement is agreed wholeheartedly around the state.

After this blended mess is over, Huntsville will replace Maumelle in the West and Maumelle will join the Central.

ClarksvilleFutbol

May 05, 2017, 09:56:32 pm #63 Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:06:18 pm by ClarksvilleFutbol

VHSCoach2

May 05, 2017, 10:05:51 pm #64 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:19:56 am by VHSCoach2
Quote from: ClarksvilleFutbol on May 05, 2017, 09:56:32 pm
Clarksville beat Harrison twice this year, but Harrison is the #1 seed and Clarksville is the #3 seed. The whole conference tournament thing makes the regular season pointless. Harrison is 7-12-1, and the #1 seed. I don't see how that makes sense.

Perhaps a change to think about for next year would be this:

Since a Conference Tournament has to be held, why not just pair the two #1's against each other and the two #2's against each other while the #3's are done?
That way, there is only one match added to each team's schedule rather than three...
Plus, only one day of travel rather than three...
Obviously, it was worked out who #1-3 was on each side before hand.

Example: this year it would have been something like this:
Boys: #1 Clarksville vs. #1 Greenbrier, winner gets the 1 seed, loser the 2 seed. Then, #2 Harrison vs. #2 Vilonia, winner is the 3 seed, loser the 4 seed.
#3 Maumelle, #3 Morrilton, sorry you finished #3 on your side. Season done.
Girls: #1 Maumelle vs. #1 Greenbrier, winner gets the 1 seed, loser the 2 seed. Then, #2 Harrison vs. #2 Vilonia, winner is the 3 seed, loser the 4 seed.
#3 Clarksville, #3 Morrilton, sorry you finished #3 on your side. Season done.

Or maybe just let the 3's play each other to get a final match in?

Would this be feasible? I have no idea, probably not. Too much complaining from the 3 seeds if that happened, probably. Looking at it from a player standpoint, I'm sure they'd enjoy only one added game the week before State rather than 3...

The Coach

Quote from: Mijally2 on May 05, 2017, 09:30:21 pm

The new thing that's being proposed ain't much better. Just leave crap alone the way it was.

Go Postal

This is for you, Chief_Osceola  ;)
Quote from: Mijally2 on May 05, 2017, 08:26:23 pm
VG
Harrison 1
Maumelle 0
Final
Quote from: Mijally2 on May 05, 2017, 08:58:26 pm

VB
Harrison 1(5)
Maumelle 1(4)
Final

Hmm, eleven State Championship Soccer trophies between the Goblins and Lady Goblins.  I wonder what they got up their sleeves this year?  LOL!

Good luck to ALL the West teams this year!

ClarksvilleFutbol

May 05, 2017, 11:55:20 pm #67 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 12:58:05 am by ClarksvilleFutbol

Sir Alex

Quote from: ClarksvilleFutbol on May 05, 2017, 11:55:20 pm
Just to make it more humorous, before the conference tournament #1 seed Harrison had 1 win since before spring break. That one win was against 1-17 Greenwood. They also had wins vs. 4A Huntsville and Green Forest to finish the regular season with a 4-12 record. This conference tournament seeding is quite comical.

You forgot to mention they beat Maumelle, something they did twice but you failed to do once. Now that is humorous. Some teams are just better at winning tournaments than other teams.  Is state a tournament?

Go Postal

May 06, 2017, 07:47:32 am #69 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:44:29 am by Go Postal
Quote from: Sir Alex on May 06, 2017, 12:26:41 am
You forgot to mention they beat Maumelle, something they did twice but you failed to do once. Now that is humorous. Some teams are just better at winning tournaments than other teams.  Is state a tournament?

and has a pretty good record in playoffs too...

I'm hoping to see a great showing by all West teams this year. 
On the boys side, the South has been dominant in the last few years, Central has always had some good teams and the East is hungry to get the win. Valley View was State runner-up last year.
On the Girls side, all conferences are wanting to beat PA, LRCA and Harrison.

Mijally2

May 06, 2017, 09:21:24 am #70 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:40:49 am by Mijally2
Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 05, 2017, 10:05:51 pm

Since a Conference Tournament has to be held, why not just pair the two #1's against each other and the two #2's against each other while the #3's are done?
That way, there is only one match added to each team's schedule rather than three...

Boys: #1 Clarksville vs. #1 Greenbrier, winner gets the 1 seed, loser the 2 seed. Then, #2 Harrison vs. #2 Vilonia, winner is the 3 seed, loser the 4 seed.

Girls: #1 Maumelle vs. #1 Greenbrier, winner gets the 1 seed, loser the 2 seed. Then, #2 Harrison vs. #2 Vilonia, winner is the 3 seed, loser the 4 seed.

Would this be feasible? I have no idea, probably not. Too much complaining from the 3 seeds if that happened, probably. Looking at it from a player standpoint, I'm sure they'd enjoy only one added game the week before State rather than 3...
I'm sorry but you got it wrong my friend.  Maumelle didn't finish 3rd. Some bogus tie break format put us 3rd.

EelDran

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 05, 2017, 10:05:51 pm

Plus, only one day of travel rather than three...

Another thing to look at is that all three teams on the boys west side are better than Villonia. Case in that the 3 seeded Maumelle beat Villonia (2 seed) 8-0. If this were to be the case, you are eliminating either Harrison, Maumelle, or Clarksville all who are capable of reaching semi finals, and replacing them with a team who will lose first round no matter who they play. Doesn't seem very fair to me.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: EelDran on May 06, 2017, 11:01:10 am
Another thing to look at is that all three teams on the boys west side are better than Villonia. Case in that the 3 seeded Maumelle beat Villonia (2 seed) 8-0. If this were to be the case, you are eliminating either Harrison, Maumelle, or Clarksville all who are capable of reaching semi finals, and replacing them with a team who will lose first round no matter who they play. Doesn't seem very fair to me.

Indeed. It's far from a perfect plan. Like I said, I was looking at it from the number of games stand point. The less games the week before State, the better I feel the State games would be, plus cutting down the number of potential injuries and things of that nature.

Hopefully next year will be the last year that Conference Tournaments are needed and we can go back to the traditional conference play during the regular season to determine the Conference Champions.

Mijally2

Quote from: Sir Alex on May 06, 2017, 12:26:41 am
Yes. Harrison beat Maumelle twice at home. No round robin like last year. Worked out great for you. Easiest regular season schedule with two home games with the worst record between the 3 teams but get a 2 seed and tournament home field advantage.  Was this format Harrison's idea? This job wouldn't have happened in the Central for travel. I could have taken a boat across the river to get to LRCA.  But Maumelle doesn't want to be in the Central because of football and basketball. That means PA and the LR hoopers. Pass on that.

EelDran

Was anyone able to watch the Harrison and Maumelle game? Curious on how it went.

sevenof400

May 06, 2017, 02:48:05 pm #75 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:58:45 pm by sevenof400
Clearly, one change I hope the 5A West makes next year is allow the better seed to host each game throughout the tournament.  This would reward a team for better play throughout the entirety of the season as opposed to the result of just a few games.  To illustrate, this would have changed the schedule this year to this:

2017 5A West Conference Soccer Tournament
If hosted by better seed

Monday May 1st:
Girls      Harrison 8 vs Morrilton 0 (would have been played at Harrison)
Boys      Harrison 4 vs Morrilton 0 (would have been played at Harrison)
Girls      Vilonia 5 vs Clarksville 2 (would have been played at Vilonia)
Boys      Vilonia 0 vs Maumelle 8 (would have been played at Vilonia)

Thursday May 4nd:
Girls      Maumelle 8 vs Vilonia 0 (would have been played at Maumelle)
Girls      Greenbrier 1 vs Harrison 2 (would have been played at Greenbrier)
Boys      Clarksville 2 vs Maumelle 3   (would have been played at Clarksville)
Boys      Greenbrier 0 vs Harrison 1 (would have been played at Greenbrier)

Friday May 5th:
Girls      Vilonia 0 vs Greenbrier 4 (would have been played at Greenbrier)
Boys      Clarksville 1 vs Greenbrier 0 (would have been played at ????)
Girls      Maumelle 0 vs Harrison 1  (would have been played at Maumelle)
Boys      Maumelle 1(4) vs Harrison 1(5) (would have been played at Maumelle)

VHSCoach2

A snag in the "higher seed hosts" plan, which would be fantastic, is that Harrison and Clarksville have one coach for both teams.

Could the schedule be worked out to accommodate them?  Surely, but as it stands, because of that reason, it will likely be held at one location again next season; Greenbrier, Vilonia, or Morrilton being the frontrunners so the "East" has a chance to host it (assuming the AD at one of those schools actually wants to host it).

Go Postal

^^^You guys have more than one coach? LOL ;)

Look on the bright side, next cycle could be worse. @Huntsville/Farmington.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Go Postal on May 06, 2017, 07:58:57 pm

Now that you say something, technically, we do not. Vilonia is looking for a new boys coach.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Go Postal on May 06, 2017, 07:58:57 pm

Hopefully we can be separated from 6A in the next cycle. Maumelle will also be out of the West in the next cycle. The 5A West, if it still exists, will be Harrison, Alma, Farmington, Clarksville, Huntsville, Greenbrier, Vilonia, and Morrilton.

Buck183

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 06, 2017, 04:06:21 pm
A snag in the "higher seed hosts" plan, which would be fantastic, is that Harrison and Clarksville have one coach for both teams.

Could the schedule be worked out to accommodate them?  Surely, but as it stands, because of that reason, it will likely be held at one location again next season; Greenbrier, Vilonia, or Morrilton being the frontrunners so the "East" has a chance to host it (assuming the AD at one of those schools actually wants to host it).

Siloam had to deal with this scenario today. Wasn't ideal, but it all worked out. Siloam girls played at home and the boys were away at Russellville.  They just worked out some game times that would accommodate everyone and made it happen. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas