• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A coach of the year

Started by war cardinals, November 28, 2014, 01:45:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

war cardinals

As the 2014 season whines down is time to talk about coach of the year

Uncle Ivan

AT

Coach King for Batesville
Coach Shannon for Beebe

Burks

Lionheart88

I Thoug I'd heard Vereen announced as coach of the year a week or two ago.  Was that just something one of the news channels did on their own?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on November 28, 2014, 04:54:09 pm
Mike Cox.

He should be because he made a lot of non-believers realize how good Buck James and his staff was! You never miss a good thing until its gone!

tmycjy

I think it should go to the Beebe coach or the hot springs coach or the Blytheville coach

Overdahill

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 29, 2014, 06:19:20 am
Mike Cox.

He should be because he made a lot of non-believers realize how good Buck James and his staff was! You never miss a good thing until its gone!

Unfortunately, very often true

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Overdahill on November 29, 2014, 08:15:16 am
Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 29, 2014, 06:19:20 am
Mike Cox.

Unfortunately, very often true
Best coach in 5a is Kevin Kelley. I don't know the criteria for coach of the year, and hot springs and Maumelle had unexpectedly good seasons.

JacketDad

You may be right about Kevin Kelly, unfortunately he has created a situation where he can go 12-1 and it be considered an average year.  Arguably, the best program in the state. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: JacketDad on November 29, 2014, 09:12:17 am
You may be right about Kevin Kelly, unfortunately he has created a situation where he can go 12-1 and it be considered an average year.  Arguably, the best program in the state.

After ElDo, Bentonville, Greenwood, Fayetteville, and Pine Bluff, they may arguably be the best program.

Maumelle's coach should get it. Moving up and sweeping the west is impressive.

JacketDad

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 29, 2014, 09:24:07 am

After ElDo, Bentonville, Greenwood, Fayetteville, and Pine Bluff, they may arguably be the best program.

I think that is what "arguably" means!!!

Youngsta71701

Couldn't agree more.

7A- Bentonville
6A- Greenwood/Eldorado toss up
5A- Pulaski Academy
4A- Warren
3A- Charleston
2A- Junction City

JMO

tmycjy

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 29, 2014, 09:26:36 am

Couldn't agree more.

7A- Bentonville
5A- Pulaski Academy
4A- Warren
3A- Charleston
2A- Junction City

JMO

I agree with u but u need to put the Benton coach in the mix

MDXPHD

Quote from: JacketDad on November 29, 2014, 09:26:33 am
Quote from: MDXPHD on November 29, 2014, 09:24:07 am

I think that is what "arguably" means!!!

No, haha.  I am saying that after all of those programs, they may be in that discussion.  Those programs are better than PA, no argument necessary.

MDXPHD

Couldn't agree more.

7A- Bentonville/Fayetteville
5A- Pulaski Academy/Wynne (the tradition is strong)
4A- Warren
3A- Charleston
2A- Junction City

JMO

Fixed it!

InYoGrill

Agreed Benton coach for 6A. I'd say either Maumelle or BB coach.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 29, 2014, 09:40:30 am

Couldn't agree more.

4A- Warren
3A- Charleston
2A- Junction City

JMO

Fixed it!

Might as well put Batesville in there to then ???

MDXPHD

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 29, 2014, 10:02:58 am

Couldn't agree more.

4A- Warren
3A- Charleston
2A- Junction City

JMO

Fixed it!

Oh no, Batesville only has one championship.  I mean, they have a great program with 5 straight semifinal appearances, so I guess it depends on what merits we are gauging off of. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 29, 2014, 10:05:50 am
Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 29, 2014, 10:02:58 am

Couldn't agree more.

4A- Warren
3A- Charleston
2A- Junction City

JMO

Fixed it!

Oh no, Batesville only has one championship.  I mean, they have a great program with 5 straight semifinal appearances, so I guess it depends on what merits we are gauging off of.

LOL...I gotcha...no Batesville Bills in this conversation.

Bondfan4ever

In my opinion, John Shannon of Beebe should be the 5A Coach of the Year, hands down.  I would say this even if I wasn't the Voice of the Badgers.  After starting the year 0-4 and coming within a half of starting 0-5, the Badgers were able to turn it around and make only the third semifinal appearance in school history.  There are plenty of excellent candidates for 5A COY, including the Maumelle coach, Coach Vereen and Chris Hill of Wynne.  However, in my humble opinion, it has to be Coach Shannon.

Chief-Chickasaw

Blytheville Coach Ben Fisher he turned a 1-9 Chickasaw team around and went 6-5 with a playoff birth. 3 of the Chicks losses were to state semifinalists PA Batesville and Wynne. Pretty incredible job of changing a mind set.  His senior group had never won more then 2 games in a year. Fisher is an incredible coach and man.

walkingguy72396

Coach of the year.  Goes to the Coach who gets his picture taken with the 5A trophy.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Bondfan4ever on November 30, 2014, 01:02:35 pm
In my opinion, John Shannon of Beebe should be the 5A Coach of the Year, hands down.  I would say this even if I wasn't the Voice of the Badgers.  After starting the year 0-4 and coming within a half of starting 0-5, the Badgers were able to turn it around and make only the third semifinal appearance in school history.  There are plenty of excellent candidates for 5A COY, including the Maumelle coach, Coach Vereen and Chris Hill of Wynne.  However, in my humble opinion, it has to be Coach Shannon.

I believe there was something other than coaching that turned that season around.  He did a great job of keeping the kids motivated and playing hard though.  I think Shannon or Maumelle's coach should get it.  Maumelle did something very impressive.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Maumelle's head coach is Mike Buchan. I think he is retiring after this year. A conference championship and respectable playoff run was a good send off.

JustGoForIt114

7A- Bentonville HC
6A- Benton HC
5A- Pulaski Academy HC
4A- Warren HC
3A- Charleston HC
2A- Junction City HC

If I had to pick an overall, Benton takes the prize.  Amazing turnaround in this program. Congrats to the panthers on a great season, I hope they finish strong.

Wonderdog

Quote from: JustGoForIt114 on December 04, 2014, 03:46:22 am
7A- Bentonville HC
6A- Benton HC
5A- Pulaski Academy HC
4A- Warren HC
3A- Charleston HC
2A- Junction City HC

If I had to pick an overall, Benton takes the prize.  Amazing turnaround in this program. Congrats to the panthers on a great season, I hope they finish strong.
6A-Benton is tough to go against for this award.

A few good possibilities for 5A:
Beebe, Shannon?
Wynne, Hill
PA, Kelley
Maumelle, Buchan
Hot Springs, Vereen

Anyone who is involved in the voting for 5A Coach of the year probably has to give these 5 coaches honorable consideration.

24tedmiller

I would go Buchan without a doubt. He shocked a lot of people this year.

Oldbadger

I also don't know the criteria for Coach of the Year.  But if it means what it says, it is Coach of the "Year", not coach of the last decade.  So, a coach who has turned the program around from mediocre to very good, should be considered. 

JustGoForIt114

Quote from: Wonderdog09 on December 04, 2014, 07:58:14 am
Quote from: JustGoForIt114 on December 04, 2014, 03:46:22 am
7A- Bentonville HC
6A- Benton HC
5A- Pulaski Academy HC
4A- Warren HC
3A- Charleston HC
2A- Junction City HC

6A-Benton is tough to go against for this award.

A few good possibilities for 5A:
Beebe, Shannon?
Wynne, Hill
PA, Kelley
Maumelle, Buchan
Hot Springs, Vereen

Anyone who is involved in the voting for 5A Coach of the year probably has to give these 5 coaches honorable consideration.

I agree with all of these. However, out of all of these for 5A, Coach Vereen really stands out to me. Seems to have the Trojans headed in the right direction. Coach Buchan and Coach Shannon did a lot of great things too this season. Maumelle might have had one of the best defenses in the state IMO, and I was really impressed with Beebe's run in the playoffs. And of course, Coach Hill and Kelley are probably the most consistent within this group.

Devil Dog 17

Chris Hill, Coach of the Year.  I saw Maumelle, and I thought they were LOADED!! I felt like they may have under achieved, therefore I would say no to their coach for Coach of the year.

24tedmiller

I'm not real sure who you talked to, but I didn't think (and many others) Maumelle would be able to run thru the conference like they did. Not real sure where you are getting that they underachieved. Had a great year in my opinion! Very deserving for coach of the year!

MDXPHD

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on December 04, 2014, 02:45:20 pm
Chris Hill, Coach of the Year.  I saw Maumelle, and I thought they were LOADED!! I felt like they may have under achieved, therefore I would say no to their coach for Coach of the year.

They underachieved? They swept the west and lost one game- to a team that is in the finals.

Intelligentsia

You could name Kelly, King, and Hill coach of the year, every year, simply for maintaining exceptional programs.  One might consider a coach that appears to be building a strong consistent program.  The guy at Blytheville appears to have that program back on the right track.  I'm not talking about a one and done, I'm talking about coaches who are turning programs around as demonstrated over a two or three year span.

24tedmiller

Could you not throw in Nettleton's coach if that is the case? They have been terrible in recent years and they seem to be on the rise. 

Intelligentsia

Quote from: 24tedmiller on December 04, 2014, 03:56:45 pm
Could you not throw in Nettleton's coach if that is the case? They have been terrible in recent years and they seem to be on the rise.

Thought of that one, as well.  Considering the difficulties faced in the Blytheville, however, rewarding that coach for his extraordinary efforts would be great.  The difference he is making in the lives of his players and the turnaround in the program is great.

Chief-Chickasaw

December 05, 2014, 10:56:51 am #36 Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:00:59 am by Chief-Chickasaw
   I know I'm a homer on this one but Blytheville's Coach Fisher is working wonders here. I'm not sure many coaches in the state have had to deal with what he has. This year he had one of his WR shot and lost for the year, he had two players homes that were burglarized and burnt to the ground while they were at practice, not to mention zero support from the community and little support from the school who is constantly trying to get rid of athletic periods. We have kids on our team who's own parents don't come and support them. On senior night we had several senior who's parents were watching them for the first time and some who had to be walked by coaches and faculty because their parents didn't show up.
   I respect what places like Batesville, PA, and Wynne do on a year in and year out bases but they are not coaching and being successful in these conditions.
   I love Blytheville because I see it as a unpolished gem. When someone comes along and puts in the work they can pick it up and make it shine. Coach Fisher and all the assistants deserve as much accolades as we can give them.

notsofast

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on November 30, 2014, 01:19:15 pm
Blytheville Coach Ben Fisher he turned a 1-9 Chickasaw team around and went 6-5 with a playoff birth. 3 of the Chicks losses were to state semifinalists PA Batesville and Wynne. Pretty incredible job of changing a mind set.  His senior group had never won more then 2 games in a year. Fisher is an incredible coach and man.

When will this "incredible coach and man" rub off on his brawling team?

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: notsofast on December 05, 2014, 11:20:58 am

I know I'm gonna regret this because you can't let anything go. The teams didn't brawl. Newspapers like to blow things out of proportion. Which is a better headline "Game ends as teams Brawl" or "players push each other and teams break it up". The players did leave the sidelines to pull the 2 or 3 players away from the incident. Which if you know anything about how are kids used to act is pretty incredible.  As far as the brawl goes were you there? Probably not. Basically it was a shoving match which I've seen happen in a lot of games and the officials over reacted. Tapes were sent in of the incident and reviewed by the AAA. They reviewed it and saw that it was pretty minor. Also the players who were involved received additional punishment from Coach Fisher that stayed in house. I knew by praising what Coach Fisher has done I was opening this can of worms and I don't want this minor incident to discount the good he has done here. Notsofast I know you don't agree and you are entitled to feel that way. Just like I'm entitled to think he did a great job.

24tedmiller

I think Coach Fisher has done a great job this year dealing with all the bumps in the road. I think there are some better candidates this year for Coach of the Year, but Coach Fisher will win this award in the near future. He has the athleticism, all he has to do is keep working on discipline. He is on the right track for sure!

Intelligentsia

Quote from: notsofast on December 05, 2014, 11:20:58 am

Over the course of several years, and then only if he receives the significant support  of key leader in the the school and community.  There will be setbacks, but he needs support from football fans everywhere as long as he is working in those conditions.  My son benefitted from a great coaching staff, but would have been fine without them. A good role model at Blytheville can literally save players lives through participation in high school athletics. 

mijally

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on December 04, 2014, 02:45:20 pm
Maumelle's coach had to find a new QB when their returning starter was declared ineligible before the season and they also lost their All-state linebacker for the season in game 6. All the other coaches we are discussing had a premium returning QB or running back or both. Coach Buchan did an outstanding job this year and is as deserving as anyone.

PA Dad

I don't know if he should be coach of the year because I don't know what the criteria are, but he sounds like a great coach and I applaud him.  It is much harder to turn a program around than it is to maintain a good program like Wynne, Batesville and PA.

#1jacketfan

He wouldn't look so good in a public school...we don't give out scholarships!

WashedUpPioneer

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on December 05, 2014, 10:56:51 am
   I know I'm a homer on this one but Blytheville's Coach Fisher is working wonders here. I'm not sure many coaches in the state have had to deal with what he has. This year he had one of his WR shot and lost for the year, he had two players homes that were burglarized and burnt to the ground while they were at practice, not to mention zero support from the community and little support from the school who is constantly trying to get rid of athletic periods. We have kids on our team who's own parents don't come and support them. On senior night we had several senior who's parents were watching them for the first time and some who had to be walked by coaches and faculty because their parents didn't show up.
   I respect what places like Batesville, PA, and Wynne do on a year in and year out bases but they are not coaching and being successful in these conditions.
   I love Blytheville because I see it as a unpolished gem. When someone comes along and puts in the work they can pick it up and make it shine. Coach Fisher and all the assistants deserve as much accolades as we can give them.

Blytheville had spectacular community support and fan base when they won the 5A East in 2007. In order to keep the people interested, teams have to win.  To me,  Coach Fisher seems to be bringing the competitiveness back.  It takes time, but with consistency people begin to buy in.  There's no question that the athleticism is there.  If I had a vote,  Fisher would be mine. Teams such as Batesville, Wynne, and PA are expected to be there in the end. A coach that overcomes majority odds and it's successful should be the COY. I doubt anyone outide of the BLY lockeroom thought they would be making the week 11 trip to PA after the incident at the end of the Paragout game, although,  they went on the road and convincingly beat a Forrest City tans that many projected to be the definite 3 seed from the east.

Pantherdaddy

Quote from: WashedUpPioneer on December 07, 2014, 01:00:24 am
Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on December 05, 2014, 10:56:51 am

Blytheville had spectacular community support and fan base when they won the 5A East in 2007. In order to keep the people interested, teams have to win.  To me,  Coach Fisher seems to be bringing the competitiveness back.  It takes time, but with consistency people begin to buy in.  There's no question that the athleticism is there.  If I had a vote,  Fisher would be mine. Teams such as Batesville, Wynne, and PA are expected to be there in the end. A coach that overcomes majority odds and it's successful should be the COY. I doubt anyone outide of the BLY lockeroom thought they would be making the week 11 trip to PA after the incident at the end of the Paragout game, although,  they went on the road and convincingly beat a Forrest City tans that many projected to be the definite 3 seed from the east.
+1

ricefarmer

Fisher would be a great choice

Swampdonkey

I'd vote for John Shannon (Beebe)

TROJANS18

Ii think coach vereen from hot springs should be coach of the year. He took a team that hadnt won a playoff game in thirty years and won. Won the first outright conference championship for hot springs in over twenty six years. So all those accomplishments i think he should be coach of the year.

Chief-Chickasaw

Is Coach Vereen the same coach that coached at Gillett like 10-15 years ago? The year after I graduated Coach Vereen took over there. He was a great guy. I remember the first time a met him I thought he was one of the students. I was trying to figure out who was this new kid wearing a Gillett hat so I started giving him a hard time, then a friend told me he was the new coach lol. I felt like a rear and apologized. He was cool and just played along with it. I will root for anyone who had anything to do with Gillett. I guess Hot Springs just became my second favorite team in the state since Gillett is gone.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas