• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Outlook: The Frest Start......again.

Started by AirWarren, December 06, 2017, 01:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RZback

I saw a little of the Morris presser and it was again sad.  Man looks completely dumbfounded. 

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on November 17, 2018, 07:25:27 pm
Is there a reason Arkansas should not be at the bottom of the SEC West?  An entitlement or participation award we haven't heard about.  Year after year of having bottom of the SEC West ranked recruit classes.  Arkansas is exactly what it recruited, about 3 star at this time.

A reference was made to Tenn, A&M, LSU, having higher ranked recruits yet their coaches were fired.  Those higher ranked classes (programs) left a foundation for the new coaches to work with.  What's A&M 7-4 in Jim Bob's first year?  LSU 9-2.  And these new coaches have the highest ranked teams, in all the land, for next year and there after. 

What has happened to make Hog Fans believe Arkansas should be an SEC West contender? 

Who in the heck has said contender? Heck we weren't this bad with the last guy. Shouldn't be getting blown out by non P5 schools.

Quit your dad gum A&M trolling. We know you have good recruiting classes Jeeesh.

We want to be better and not get freaking embarrassed every dang week. No matter the recruiting class you can give effort. You should see the video of one of our OL not even getting out of his stance until the QB is sacked. The. Just walks around. You don't have to be a highly ranked recruit to give effort and look like yiu have played football before. Heck I could have gotten open and caught a TD against our secondary yesterday.

Again no one here is expecting us to win every game. But it should not be this bad. 2 and freaking 10 with zero effort given. This program is better than that

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on November 17, 2018, 06:45:41 pm
Oh yea I am totally joking..... And when people keep talking about our recruits I keep thinking in my mind well Florida, Georgia, Miss State, Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M, and Alabama are recruiting just as good or better so it does not assure anything really and they will maintain that level so we better do it on a year to year basis or we have no shot.

As for next year if he does not win 6 games that is pretty sad. It will be the second year in his system and the schedule is soft as tissue for one more year before it gets much harder in 2020. We play four non power 5's again for the last time. If he can't sweep Portland State, Colorado State, San Jose State, and Western Kentucky all being played in Fayetteville that is just awful. I never thought I would say this, but that is even easier than this years non conference. Throw in there is no way Kentucky will be that good again which is who we draw along with Mizzou from the East. The schedule is quite weird next year all together. Ole Miss and Kentucky are early in the year. If we can't be sitting at 4-2 or 5-2 early on its going to be ugly again. The second half of the year it gets tough. It may be an odd year where you don't really even no the true ability of the team until about after 8 games cause the odd schedule set up.

We may go 6-6 next year and I can already see people saying  "oh look we improved so much and might win 9 in 2020..... No way, we are still at least until 2021 until you can think about 8 or 9 wins. Anything less than 7-5 next year is not good enough with how easy a schedule we have in the non conference. So if we win 6 games should we all be excited about winning 2 out of 8 games against real competition? Of course we shouldn't....5-7 or 4-8 and CCM is showing his true colors already even just after 2 years.
I don't think we win 6 next year. After yesterday this team has quit for sure. I think Morris will recruit fine, had done better than we usually do. I just don't think he can coach. Any improvement has been completely washed away the past two weeks.

Effort requires heart and motivation. Morris has failed to push the right buttons. He keeps saying it week after week. But yet no changes made. When I see an OL just stand there and let the QB get killed. Not whiff but just stand there and he stays in the game that's on the coach

Trojanbird

Sometimes you just can't coach lazy!  If he has nothing better to put in the game, then he is just stuck.  I wonder how many scholarships won't get renewed?

game on

Program is really in bad shape. The talent level is obviously down but more than that there is not much motivation and the new staff has struggled to get the team to show improvement and do get them to play in a disciplined manner.  The likelihood of a 2-10 season is daunting and now the question must be answered, is the new head coach and staff capable of turning Arkansas football around?  I think the fan base is split right now with whether or not we have the right coach in place.  It's a given that Coach Morris stepped into a mess but right now it appears the problems are getting worse and he is having difficulty getting any improvement to stick. The program was bad when he took over but it appears to have gotten worse.  The improvement we need to see is in wins and losses. Next season his new recruits will have a huge task coming in and getting some real improvement made.  Last year Arkansas won 4 games under a guy we fired, we will probably win only 2 under the guy hired to fix it.  Next season we need a big jump in not just wins but some wins against a few more of the quality teams on this list.  Portland State,  Colorado State, San Jose State,  all should be easy home victories to give the home crowd, (which has to be revived after this season and the terrible attendance) at least 3 wins and some encouragement.  Ole Miss in game two will be an opportunity for a road win, not easy but possible.  Hog fans could see  4 wins before the schedule begins to toughen up.  At that point we might possibly suffer 5 straight losses, A&M, KY, Auburn, Alabama, Miss ST., followed by Western KY that should be another victory.  Close out the season with LSU and Missouri may be two losses but certainly depends on how much real progress the team can make.  Should be 4 wins if we don't get a win over Ole Miss,  5 victories if we beat Ole Miss.  So with competent play and coaching and a few breaks we need to come up with one more win to get bowl eligible. 
The number grows to 6 if we can beat KY which is sort of one dimensional and not likely to be as strong next season.
Date   Opponent
Aug. 31   Portland State
Sept. 7   at Ole Miss
Sept. 14   Colorado State
Sept. 21   San Jose State
Sept. 28   vs. Texas A&M (Arlington)
Oct. 12   at Kentucky
Oct. 19   Auburn
Oct. 26   at Alabama
Nov. 2   Mississippi State
Nov. 9   Western Kentucky
Nov. 23   at LSU
Nov. 30   Missouri (Little Rock)
Next season looks to be much like this season.  With another year of some soft opponents at home there will be opportunities for improvement that translate into wins.  We should be better in the new coaches second season and with new players signed we should see some more wins.  I'd say anything less than 4 is an absolute disaster with 4 being sort of a minimum.  Getting to 6 wins would be a big boost for fans because of the opportunity to get to a bowl game.  More wins and that would be a mark of improvement for sure and an indication that Morris is on the right road.  Maybe not the fast lane but at least pulling onto the hi-way.  Less than 6 wins and it will be better than this year but a disappointment none the less. 

DerekOxford

Quote from: game on on November 18, 2018, 12:48:00 pm
Program is really in bad shape. The talent level is obviously down but more than that there is not much motivation and the new staff has struggled to get the team to show improvement and do get them to play in a disciplined manner.  The likelihood of a 2-10 season is daunting and now the question must be answered, is the new head coach and staff capable of turning Arkansas football around?  I think the fan base is split right now with whether or not we have the right coach in place.  It's a given that Coach Morris stepped into a mess but right now it appears the problems are getting worse and he is having difficulty getting any improvement to stick. The program was bad when he took over but it appears to have gotten worse.  The improvement we need to see is in wins and losses. Next season his new recruits will have a huge task coming in and getting some real improvement made.  Last year Arkansas won 4 games under a guy we fired, we will probably win only 2 under the guy hired to fix it.  Next season we need a big jump in not just wins but some wins against a few more of the quality teams on this list.  Portland State,  Colorado State, San Jose State,  all should be easy home victories to give the home crowd, (which has to be revived after this season and the terrible attendance) at least 3 wins and some encouragement.  Ole Miss in game two will be an opportunity for a road win, not easy but possible.  Hog fans could see  4 wins before the schedule begins to toughen up.  At that point we might possibly suffer 5 straight losses, A&M, KY, Auburn, Alabama, Miss ST., followed by Western KY that should be another victory.  Close out the season with LSU and Missouri may be two losses but certainly depends on how much real progress the team can make.  Should be 4 wins if we don't get a win over Ole Miss,  5 victories if we beat Ole Miss.  So with competent play and coaching and a few breaks we need to come up with one more win to get bowl eligible. 
The number grows to 6 if we can beat KY which is sort of one dimensional and not likely to be as strong next season.
Date   Opponent
Aug. 31   Portland State
Sept. 7   at Ole Miss
Oct. 12   at Kentucky
Oct. 19   Auburn
Oct. 26   at Alabama
Nov. 23   at LSU
Next season looks to be much like this season.  With another year of some soft opponents at home there will be opportunities for improvement that translate into wins.  We should be better in the new coaches second season and with new players signed we should see some more wins.  I'd say anything less than 4 is an absolute disaster with 4 being sort of a minimum.  Getting to 6 wins would be a big boost for fans because of the opportunity to get to a bowl game.  More wins and that would be a mark of improvement for sure and an indication that Morris is on the right road.  Maybe not the fast lane but at least pulling onto the hi-way.  Less than 6 wins and it will be better than this year but a disappointment none the less.

3-9 very possible with that schedule next year. 4-8 more likely. 6-18 after two years isn't going to make anyone happy. 2020 will be even more difficult.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Trojanbird on November 18, 2018, 12:19:28 pm
Sometimes you just can't coach lazy!  If he has nothing better to put in the game, then he is just stuck.  I wonder how many scholarships won't get renewed?
Anything is better than a kid that doesn't even try.

bdubyab60

The one area we aren't getting better recruits in is OL. And the line we have now is not very good. Sure I like the highly rated class. But if this thing is gonna turn around the OL recruiting has got to improve along with the develope meant.

Took 10 games before we could snap the ball on a consistent basis.

game on

If we only win 3 or 4 games that is, to quote a famous football coach, "unacceptable in every phase of the game, unacceptable coaching, unacceptable play, unacceptable effort". 
if we at 6-18 or worse after two seasons, we better punt.  I know some will defend Morris because of the caliber of players he inherited, but at some point he has to be responsible for their on the field performance and behavior.  Right now he is not getting favorable results.

AirWarren

November 18, 2018, 05:51:53 pm #1059 Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 06:08:44 pm by AirWarren
Opted to clean my gutters and burn leaves instead of watch them.

Turned out the leaf soot and gutter muck was better than the garbage the Razorbacks produced. 

I'm personally ready for football season to be over. Warren got outed this week. When Treylon went out, warren has been like a wounded deer running through the woods waiting to be finished. And they had their necks cut real quick Friday night. It was kind of a relief. Same with the hogs. Will just be nice to see it end.

Onward with hog hoops and soccer lol

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on November 18, 2018, 05:51:53 pm
Opted to clean my gutters and burn leaves instead of watch them.

Turned out the leaf soot and gutter muck was better than the garbage the Razorbacks produced.

LOL now that is funny...

beach bum

Quote from: game on on November 18, 2018, 12:48:00 pm
Date   Opponent
Aug. 31   Portland State
Sept. 7   at Ole Miss
Oct. 12   at Kentucky
Oct. 19   Auburn
Oct. 26   at Alabama
Nov. 23   at LSU

Really good assessment for sure overall..... And everyone in general making good points.

AirWarren

Valleysports

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 18, 2018, 10:18:35 am
Quit your dad gum A&M trolling. We know you have good recruiting classes Jeeesh.

Chill your radical butt out bubba!  You know I love the SEC, players, and programs of all teams.  It's hard not to be fascinated with A&M because they're in the same boat as Arkansas, 1st year coach and all, yet everything is so positive there.  What's the difference?  I asked (meant) what has Arkansas done, as a program in the last decade, to make them SEC worthy?

High Voltage

CCM can recruit, no doubt. But his in game decisions has me scratching my head at times. I just think he is in over his head.

RZback

Quote from: High Voltage on November 19, 2018, 07:35:31 am
CCM can recruit, no doubt. But his in game decisions has me scratching my head at times. I just think he is in over his head.

He still has to get those recruits on campus and they have yet to sign on the dotted line.  Even if he gets them here, as of now he nor his staff is showing a lot in the way of coaching.  Something more than just talent seems to be wrong.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on November 18, 2018, 08:19:12 pm
Chill your radical butt out bubba!  You know I love the SEC, players, and programs of all teams.  It's hard not to be fascinated with A&M because they're in the same boat as Arkansas, 1st year coach and all, yet everything is so positive there.  What's the difference?  I asked (meant) what has Arkansas done, as a program in the last decade, to make them SEC worthy?
Well one guy proved it could be done. Heck even BB showed promise and then just gave up it seems. Which we see has passed on to this team. To Morris credit he took what was going to be an 80-100 rated class and got it in the 40s. A&M isn't in the same boat, especially over the last 2 years. Sumlin just could never get over the hump with his highly rated classes.

Even as bad as we have been we have pulled off some wins, but we looked liked we had played football before. These last three years we have looked like a bad high school team.

Most of us right now would settle for looking like a college team. And really worthy has nothing to do with it. This is the conference we are in. And I'm to the point to where if Ole Miss basically gets a slap on the wrist for what they did then the Hogs might as well go ahead and buy in too. I'm almost there.

I mean wouldn't a one year bowl ban be worth beating Bama twice in a row and what 20 something wins before Freeze got outed. And would still be there if not for using his work phone.

bdubyab60

Quote from: RZback on November 19, 2018, 03:52:02 pm
He still has to get those recruits on campus and they have yet to sign on the dotted line.  Even if he gets them here, as of now he nor his staff is showing a lot in the way of coaching.  Something more than just talent seems to be wrong.
If you saw that video of the OL yiu would know what's wrong. All the upperclassmen have checked out. Or at least most of them.

And that falls on him to keep them involve or bench them. I don't care if he has to put a RB at OL as long as the kid gives 100%.

If it's UNACCEPTABLE as he states in his presser, and he's said this several times. Then why have there been no changes. He has to know who is giving max effort. If he doesn't then he for sure is t the man for the job. He gets to see better film than we do.

game on

Because its obviously not unacceptable.  They have been accepting it all season.  Bad play, dumb penalties, trash talk and celebration when you are getting beaten.   I still remember the speech CM gave about how they got to love on the kids to build them up.  Yeah, that worked.  More like they needed a foot in the rear.  Guys who quit do not need to be on the field at all, for any reason.   That type play causes injuries just as easy as a young player who is outmanned.  It's unacceptable that we are going to be 2-10 with a guy who is supposed to be driving down the fast lane.. Well he forgot to put gas in the car.

bdubyab60

Well he suspended two players for talking to cheerleaders during warm ups. Now will he bench the OL that didn't come out of his stance for 5 minutes.

And I agree. Morris needs to back his talk up. Completely different in presser than he was in the sideline Saturday

Trojanbird

I'm still wondering how many scholarships will not be renewed after this year?  What do you think?

JacketFan

I hears fans ask, what would Saban do to the two idiots trying to get numbers from chicks before the game.  Thats easy, players on Sabans team would never even think of doing stupid crap like that.  He creates a atmosphere of only accepting excellence on and off the field, anything less and there is consequences.  Ark players have no consequences, I applaud Morris for suspending them, but he would be further along in changing the players behavior if he done it on his first day.  These players have been lazy since BB was coaching.  There is zero discipline on that team, he needs to bench the entire team, and play all freshmen.  They will at least show some effort, our dang lineman have been standing there and watching our QB get killed all year long.  I for one am sickened by the state of the whole program.  This is the only time in 35 years of cheering on the Hogs that I am embarassed of calling them my team.  Heads need to roll, and consequences need to be laid out to all the slackers.  Clean the house please, fans will love you for it. 

JacketFan

Quote from: Trojanbird on November 19, 2018, 09:24:43 pm
I'm still wondering how many scholarships will not be renewed after this year?  What do you think?
Keep Storey, dude earned his scholly by taking a beating all year, clear the rest of them out.

game on

Storey is a back up next year most likely.  Nothing against him but we need a better playmaker.  As for CM, he has been way to soft and nice to guys that have not acted like they cared enough to get it done.

bdubyab60

Any player that still wants to be here will be here. We only need a couple more to transfer to be able to reach the 29 number that they want to sign. We have had 4 already.

This could be an addition by subtraction thing. If the players don't want to be here then let them go. We need players that want to make this program better again.

As for the two suspended. They should have been focused on the game instead of pleasure time. If they do that and we win it's probably not noticed. Since we got skull drug it pretty much shows what their focus was on.

I am however more concerned about the OL just letting guys through on what seems like a really shady play. I don't know if he did it on purpose but it doesn't look good. And if it was done on purpose his scholarship should be pulled immediately. If it wasn't then some other measure should be taken, possibly suspension of playing time.

Valleysports

So let's say Arkansas gives you the keys Bubba, you're the new coach.  Now you have to direct the future instead of hindsite. What's your plan?  Tell us how you're going to turn the Hogs into a competitive SEC team?  Not trying to tip you over, just curious to see how different you'd be from Morris.

footballfan-tastic

Seems pretty clear to me that there is a lack of discipline in the Razorback program.   You asked Valley how you fix Razorback football, you start with establishing discipline, until you have that you have nothing.   From the get go Morris has been too easy on the players int he program.  He should have established his position as the Big Boss and anybody who didn't toe the line was gonna be off the field or out the door.  This did not happen and I know it didn't because the same players have been cited over and over again for failing to follow rules, give effort and maintain self discipline during games.  When you tell you kids to be home by midnight and they come home at 3 in the morning and you say "Gee, I wish you hadn't done that, please don't do it again".   Well, we all know what happens next Friday night. 
It's taken Morris 11 games to appear to get angry at how his team, his coaches and even himself have conducted business.  I just don't think he has a clue as how to deal with it, certainly coming in he was lost.

game on

What Morris should be and I imagine is, would be embarrassed.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on November 20, 2018, 06:11:54 am
So let's say Arkansas gives you the keys Bubba, you're the new coach.  Now you have to direct the future instead of hindsite. What's your plan?  Tell us how you're going to turn the Hogs into a competitive SEC team?  Not trying to tip you over, just curious to see how different you'd be from Morris.
I would have won the CSU game. The numbers said punt. My eyes said our defense was folding I had no doubt once we punted that game was lost. Also wouldnt have brought 10 QBs to the ole Miss Game but all my healthy players that could help, we brought 4 RBs. 2 got hurt and one was already hurt.

With that said all these soft players from BB have to go. Looks like Morris has his eye on that. And maybe hes gonna cut some guys loose. Yes recruiting has to be better and consistent not just one good class. After watching Craddock yesterday in presser he needs to go. Guy has no confidence in what he is doing. Lazy playing, id rather get crushed with a freshman learning than an upperclassmen giving half rear effort.

Team needs to be built from the inside out. 2020 needs to be concentrated on stud OL. You cant do anything else on offense without.

1. Get rid of dead weight
2. Build from the inside out. On both sides. Walk ons and Jucos aren't going to turn the OL around. They are just a stop gap and maybe you hit on a guy. Its rare though.
3. Then speed, speed and more of it. We may be the slowest team in the SEC overall.
4. Show you can keep a QB upright and you can land a good one.
5. In handling any situation with players you need to be as fair and as consistent as you can be. But lets be real if you have a Tua that kid is gonna get some rope to swing on. We don't have a Tua so it should be easy to do. But I guarantee you we wouldn't be soft and not giving any effort.

There is no quick fix to this. We all know that.

Again Morris is gonna get his chance. I want him to succeed. If they can him I want the next guy to succeed. But I think with just about anyone else coaching this year even BB this team wins 4 games.

I tell you right now Id be the head coach for what I'm making now and travel expanses and what not. Wouldn't bother me a bit. Don't need a buyout either. Id get the best recruiters and coordinators I could get to come and they could have the millions. Then go from there.

Valleysports

Oh good you have the same game plan a Morris..

beach bum

Quote from: Valleysports on November 20, 2018, 05:24:17 pm

Morris's game plan will have him a 16-32 record after 4 years of coaching at the college level....

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on November 20, 2018, 05:24:17 pm
Morris started in the outside. I'm starting inside. And if I say I'm going fast we are going fast.

Nobody knows what Morris is doing. And right now he hasn't shown that he even knows. Except on getting some good recruits

And my pressers would be epic. I like this site but we have to tone it down. Better have that 5 second delay beep on stand by.

sportsguy80

Just had a moment to think back when we were competing at the highest level. I came up with the 2011 season (11-2, 6-2) under who...you guessed it Bobby P. I remembered when we hired him, I was thinking man we're gonna look like a totally different program due to his coaching philosophy which mostly consisted of (outscoring opponents with a high octane offense). On paper Long hired BP but we all knew who had to make it official. With that, Petrino requested to things his way (which included other things outside of football that came to light) to make things work. The bonus for us was that we had pretty solid defenses during that time. I'll even add that his style of offense helped influence Saban to switch things up too.

I also remember hearing the complaints that came from various people including parents, players, and some fans about how harsh he was. Fast forwarding to now, I'll admit that Petrino didn't inherit a mess like Morris has but he still had some work to do. I just think they went about it in different directions. For example, Petrino wouldn't even thought about going to his son's game the day before game day because he was that focused on winning his way. On the other hand, Morris is definitely more of a people person and family man (recruiting supports this too) but the big question is he and his coaching philosophy the answer for the state of our football program. I'm really hoping so. Only time will tell.

beach bum

Jacketman65

sportsguy80

Quote from: Jacketman65 on November 21, 2018, 01:39:28 pm
Where has T.J. Hammonds gone?
I was wondering the same thing along with the kid from Cabot which I don't remember playing any this year.

bdubyab60

I had read TJ was hurt and is probably transferring. Other than that I've heard nothing about him. Think he's just been in the sidelines. Don't even know if he's played the 4 games so RS. Who knows

game on

Are there any players on our roster that are going to help us win games?  I suspect we need lots of new blood and I agree with some who think some of the new blood is going to hve to be in the coaching staff.   I really believe Morris is a little over his right now and the difficulties he is facing he hasn't faced before.  He's been in good programs and was in good high schools, now its' all different and he is trying to tread water. 

game on

Morris made some early mistakes and they are haunting him now.  He either listened to the wrong people when he took the job or he grossly over evaluated the talent when he got here, or both.  He also brought with him a staff that was ill equipped to handle what they found. I can appreciated his loyalty to the guys he hired but at this level of football he needs the very best he can get and guys that know how to deal with problems. 

gameoflife

21-0. Looking like another embarrassing game. So just 9 1/2 months until next season.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Thank the Lord that we seem decent at basketball and baseball...

bdubyab60

beach bum

131 yards of offense through 3 quarters .....

gameoflife

2-10, worst record in history of the school.  I doubt that most fans thought this would be the case when we hired Morris. We actually have gotten worse over the course of the year.

gameoflife

beach bum

Quote from: gameoflife on November 23, 2018, 04:19:49 pm
2-10, worst record in history of the school.  I doubt that most fans thought this would be the case when we hired Morris. We actually have gotten worse over the course of the year.

Maybe I was being completely naïve..... And in hindsight I was, but I thought we would go 6-6 or 7-5 this season. I thought we would get all the non conference games, Vandy/Ole Miss at home, then possibly find a way to win another one in there. Boy was I wrong.

bdubyab60

About to be shutout. The good news is it's almost over

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Now it's all about the next 9 months of "improving". It's sad to say that 4 wins next season will be a major improvement but it appears to be that way

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on November 23, 2018, 04:36:44 pm
Maybe I was being completely naïve..... And in hindsight I was, but I thought we would go 6-6 or 7-5 this season. I thought we would get all the non conference games, Vandy/Ole Miss at home, then possibly find a way to win another one in there. Boy was I wrong.
I figured around 6. And I'll agree there is a talent deficiency but it's nit 2-10 bad. Especially two losses to non P5 schools.

The more I sit here. Watching this game, Morris on the sideline an just all th little things that we don't do right leads me to believe this ain't the guy. But he's here and I'll hope he proves me wrong.

I'll hope for 4 wins next year

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas